watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (05/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 05, 2010, 07:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/OkakaWiganReaction.aspx
Okaka Hails Vital Win

Goalscorer Stefano Okaka hailed his side's second-half comeback and his first Premier League goal for Fulham.

The on-loan Italian U21 striker, who was a half-time replacement for David Elm, made an immediate impact against Wigan on Sunday afternoon, slotting home Zoltan Gera's low cross a minute in.

Little more than 10 minutes later, Brede Hangeland rose highest to add Fulham's second in a valuable 2-1 win, with Wigan's Jason Scotland putting the visitors in front after 34 minutes.

After a mixed first-half, the Whites responded and showed their character once more with a battling display after the break.

"It was a much better second-half," said Stefano, talking exclusively to fulhamfc.com after the game. "Wigan made it difficult for us at times and it was disappointing to go behind. But we came back and managed to score two goals, and keep them out further at the other end. It was a deserved three points.

"Of course, it was great to score my first league goal for Fulham and I am pleased also, because it proved to be an important one. I think it gave us the momentum and the spirit to push on and get another – which we did.

"Zolly did really well down the left and put in a great ball. I'd taken up a good position and did what I had to do from the position that I was in. It was a nice strike for me."

Fulham had chances to extend their lead with Gera, Danny Murphy and Clint Dempsey testing Chris Kirkland in a half they more or less dominated. Wigan applied the pressure late on, but the Whites' defence held firm to secure a vital win and the three points that saw them pass the 40-point marker.

"We needed a win," added Stefano. "We had lost three league games in succession, so it was important that we got back to winning ways. The victory moved us up to 41 points in the league and that's good.

"It will also give us confidence going into Thursday's UEFA Europa League Quarter-Final with Wolfsburg. It's a big week for the Club and of course, you want to go into games like that on the back of good results and performances.

"Obviously, I won't be available for the game [having already played in the competition with AS Roma] – but it's one that I would have loved to have been part of. I wish the team all the best, and I'm sure they will show what they can do."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/OkakaWiganReaction.aspx#ixzz0kCmvHEFe

WhiteJC

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/04/04/fulham-2-wigan-1-brede-hangeland-seals-fulham-victory/
Fulham 2 Wigan Athletic 1: Brede Hangeland Seals Victory for Cottagers

Brede Hangeland ensured Fulham head out for the second leg of their Europa League tie with Wolfsburg buoyed by a first Premier League win in four games.

Hangeland's 58th-minute header completed the Cottagers' comeback after Roy Hodgson's side had fallen behind to Jason Scotland's first top-flight goal.

Stefano Okaka cancelled out Scotland's strike two minutes after appearing as a half time substitute, netting for the first time since he arrived at Craven Cottage in a loan switch from AS Roma in January.

The result moved Fulham past the 40-point mark while Wigan remain just four points above the bottom three and facing a continuing battle for survival.

REACTION:
Roy Hodgson claimed the way his side recovered from the exertions of last week's first leg win over Wolfsburg meant this victory was one of the most satisfying since he took charge at Craven Cottage.

The manager was frustrated, however, by the reaction of some home supporters during the first half as the Cottagers struggled to get going in their 53rd game of the season.

"I've got to be delighted with the team's performance because if ever there was a day when we were entitled to lose a game it was this," he said.

"I think it's 5 or 6 weeks we've had three games in a row and there is going to come a time when we don't win.

"The crowd has been fantastic but you're just hoping sometimes people will show some degree of understanding for the level of difficulty your team is facing.

"We were facing a team who have prepared all week for this game, it's a vital game for them, they're in a relegation battle.

"But still we've shown enough, we've dug deep and we've got another famous victory.

"So I've got to say this is one of the happiest moments I've had at Fulham because when everyone expects you to lose, when everything that's being written says you're not going to do it today and you do do it, then that's when you deserve a pat on the back."

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was disappointed at the way his side allowed Fulham back into the game after taking a first half lead.

He said: "It was very frustrating because I thought the hardest thing was to come and score the first goal which we did. But we lost concentration at two key moments so I think it was self-inflicted.

"The two lapses were unacceptable. The players know that. The disappointment is they worked so hard in the first half and we knew the first ten minutes of the half would be important.

"But we didn't make them work too hard to get back into it.

"We've got two home games coming up and the home form will be vital. We're not far away. We have three home games, it's going to be an exciting run-in. I'm more interested in our performance.

"We showed the good things we are capable of and also the bad things that were the lapses in concentration."

HOW IT HAPPENED:
Fulham struggled to get going during a dull opening half while Wigan were quick to take the initiative whenever the opportunity arose and deserved to take the lead when Scotland latched onto Marcelo Moreno's nod down and sent a half volley beyond Mark Schwarzer.

Hodgson admitted his decision to play David Elm instead of the injured Bobby Zamora – the forward is expected to be fit for Thursday's game – was a mistake with Elm forced off at half-time and sent to hospital for routine checks after suffering a reaction to a recent virus. Okaka was introduced for Elm and the change had an immediate impact with the substitute scoring from Zoltan Gera's cross after the Hungarian capitalised on a mistake by Paul Scharner.

The goal lifted Fulham and when Hangeland headed the winning goal from Damien Duff's corner, a home victory appeared assured.

WHAT IT MEANS:
Hodgson fears his side will hit the wall soon but they once again showed commendable powers of recovery that should stand them in good stead in Germany this week. The expected return of Zamora will add to their attacking strength and if they can draw on further reserves of energy, their European adventure is likely to continue.

Wigan face a vitally important home game with Portsmouth next weekend when victory should give sufficient breathing space between themselves and the relegation zone. They can ill afford to repeat the defensive that allowed Fulham back into the game and the coming weeks will provide a major test of their ability to hold their nerve.

QUOTABLE:
"We were hoping he (Zamora) would recover but the medical staff are quite optimistic he will recover by Thursday."
- Hodgson provides the positive medical bulletin all Fulham fans want to hear.

FULHAM 2 (Okaka 47, Hangeland 58) WIGAN ATHLETIC 1 (Scotland 34)

PLAYER MARKING:
Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer 5; Davies 6, Hughes 7, Hangeland 8, Konchesky 7; Duff 8, Etuhu 7, Murphy 6 (Baird 88, 6), Dempsey 6; Gera 9; Elm 6 (Okaka 46, 7; Nevland 88, 6).
Subs (not used): Zuberbuhler, Shorey, Smalling, Greening.

Wigan Athletic (4-4-2): Kirkland 8; Melchiot 5, Scharner 4, Bramble 7, Figueroa 6; N'Zogbia 5 (Watson 85, 6), McCarthy 7, Diame 6, Rodallega 6; Scotland 6 (Moses 61, 6), Moreno 6 (Sinclair 85).
Subs (not used): Stojkovic, Gohouri, Amaya, Gomez.

ATTENDANCE: 22,730

NEXT UP:
- Fulham v Vfl Wolfsburg (Away), Europa League 08/04, 2005 BST
- Wigan Athletic v Portsmouth (Home), Premier League 14/04, 1945 BST

MAN OF THE MATCH:
Zoltan Gera (Fulham): The Hungarian is enjoying an oustanding season and once again revelled in the playmaker role. Constantly upset the Wigan defence with darting runs down either side of the centre backs and forced Paul Scharner into the error that led to the Fulham equaliser.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1263520/Fulham-2-Wigan-1-Brede-Hangeland-scores-winner-Cottagers-come-behind.html?ITO=1490
Fulham 2 Wigan 1: Roy Hodgson blasts fans' wake-up call as Brede Hangeland seals win

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has had enough of dissenting voices at Craven Cottage.
His side's lacklustre first-half display in their 53rd game of the season was greeted by catcalls of derision from some fans.
Hodgson, with a Europa League semi-final still a possibility and Premier League safety surely secured, said: 'It would be nice if people showed some sort of understanding because I feel the players don't deserve people shouting at them to "wake up".
'It's not a question of waking up; it's a question of getting tired legs going again.'

Fulham had the excuse of Thursday's exertions against Wolfsburg in the Europa League but they came from behind to secure a victory that helps London rivals West Ham, who had complained to the Premier League after Fulham made six changes for last week's defeat at Hull. Wigan are only four points above the relegation zone, three ahead of the Hammers, after this setback.
Jason Scotland, making his first Wigan start for eight weeks, opened the scoring with his first Premier League goal in the 34th minute. Hodgson was so incensed by his side's defending that he kicked a chair in the dug-out.

But he seized the initiative by sending on Stefano Okaka for David Elm after the break. He admitted it had been a mistake to play Swedish striker Elm, who was taken to hospital after the game having suffered a recurrence of a virus.
Elm was thought to be a like-for-like replacement for Bobby Zamora, who suffered an achilles injury in the 2-1 win over Wolfsburg but should be fit for Thursday's second leg.
Okaka took less than 90 seconds to draw Fulham level with his first Premier League goal and six minutes later Brede Hangeland made it 2-1 with a powerful header from a Damien Duff cross.
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez was unhappy with his side's defending. He said: 'It was a self-inflicted defeat. We created enough chances and looked a threat but then we get punished for two unacceptable lapses of concentration.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1263520/Fulham-2-Wigan-1-Brede-Hangeland-scores-winner-Cottagers-come-behind.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0kCp3QTHr

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=194181
Fulham - Dempsey Slams West Ham!
With the West Ham complaint thing still rumbling around, one of those players who played in the weakened side at Hull City has spoken up.

Clint Dempsey, who has made his way back from a bad injury, has remarked,

"It`s disrespectful to me because I was on the pitch against Hull."

"I don`t feel I`m a weak player. I felt strong and confident and I tried to get the job done."

"West Ham are under-pressure, there is a lot of money at stake if you go down."

"I`m sure it`s frustrating for them, but we have to do what we think is best for the club."

Calm down Clint mate, don`t get so worked up! Just save our last goal of this season for the game against them and send them down!

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7552415/Fulham-2-Wigan-1-match-report.html
Fulham 2 Wigan 1: match report
Real a full match report of the Barclays Premier League game between Fulham and Wigan Athletic at Craven Cottage on Sunday Apr 4, 2010.

Fulham prepared for the Europa League quarter final return in Germany with their first Premier League win in six weeks, at Craven Cottage, and leave Wigan facing a fight to preserve their League status.

Wigan's Jason Scotland, who scored twice against Fulham for Swansea in last season's FA Cup, claimed his first Premier League goal before Stefano Okaka levelled. Brede Hangeland scored the 58th minute winner for Fulham.

West Ham will have little complaint about Fulham's team against another side in a relegation battle.

Fulham made only one change from the side that beat Wolfsburg 2-1 in the Europa League on Thursday with Bobby Zamora ruled out with an Achilles problem.

It was not thought to be too serious with the 18 goal striker rested ahead of the return to Lower Saxony.

That gave Swedish striker David Elm his first start for Fulham since February and only his fourth for the club.

Wigan were missing the banned Gary Caldwell but Chris Kirkland, their goalkeeper, returned after illness while Scotland was given his first start in nine games.

The visitors, who had conceded 13 goals in their previous two London visits, created the first chance with Maynor Figueroa setting up Hugo Rodallega for a chance that was blocked.

Fulham responded when a delightful ball from Simon Davies, playing again in an unorthodox right back position, found Damien Duff and his cross was met by Zoltan Gera but the Hungarian's diving header was held by Kirkland.

Wigan's Paul Scharner was booked for a 13th minute foul on Elm.

Soon afterwards Elm had a shot parried by Kirkland and in the 18th minute Wigan survived a penalty appeal when Gera fell following a challenge from Mohamed Diame but replays suggested he had caught his boot in the turf.

Wigan, in their fluorescent orange shirts, came close to an opening goal in the 31st minute when a slip by Mark Schwarzer allowed Scharner to lob towards goal only for Brede Hangeland to clear off the line.

And the Schwarzer had to alert to tip another effort, from Hugo Rodallega from under his cross bar.

Inevitably Wigan opened the scoring, in the 34th minute, when Mario Melchiot crossed, Marcelo Moreno pulled the ball back and though Scotland slipped he was able to find the bottom corner.

Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager, was so angry he appeared to kick his chair in frustration.

Hodgson made a change at half time, replacing Elm with Okaka and after just 81 seconds he scored his first Premier League goal.

Scharner lost possession to Gera and his cross from the left found Okaka and the Italian responded with a neat near-post flick.

And in the 58th minute Fulham took the lead when, from Duff's left wing corner, Hangeland's powerful header beat Kirkland and found the net off the inside of the right post.

And in added time referee Mark Clattenburg rejected another penalty appeal when Titus Bramble upended Clint Dempsey.

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/premierleague/matchreports/report-fulham-v-wigan-901097966.html
Report: Fulham v Wigan
Woeful Wigan slump to Fulham defeat

A superb second-half fightback from Fulham gave them a 2-1 victory which ensured woeful Wigan remain in the relegation battle.

Goals from substitute Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland completed the home side's recovery after Jason Scotland's first Barclays Premier League goal for Wigan had put them in front in the 34th minute.

The defeat leaves Wigan in 16th place, just four points clear of the bottom three while Fulham remain on course for another top 10 finish so coveted by boss Roy Hodgson.

Fulham should have opened their account in the fifth minute when Damien Duff's inswinging cross was met by the head of centre-forward David Elm.

But the striker could not find the power or the deftness to place his header beyond Chris Kirkland.

Wigan responded with some good work by Hugo Rodallega but the striker's cross from the left flank was plucked out of the air by Mark Schwarzer.

Wigan defender Paul Scharner was booked for a foul on Elm in the 13th minute but Fulham failed to take advantage of the resultant free-kick.

Two minutes later Kirkland produced another fine save to deny Elm after Zoltan Gera had put the Fulham striker in the clear.

Fulham felt they should have had a penalty in the 18th minute when Gera appeared to be upended in the area by Mohamed Diame. Referee Mark Clattenburg was non-plussed, much to the fury of the home fans.

Wigan went close in the 28th minute when Scharner headed a corner by James McCarthy just wide of the target.

Fulham had Hangeland to thank moments later when Schwarzer spilled the ball to Scharner on the edge of the penalty area but the Wigan defender's chip was cleared off the line by the tall defender.

Schwarzer redeemed himself in 31st minute when he tipped a long-range effort from Maynor Figueroa over the crossbar.

But the goal Wigan had threatened finally arrived in the 34th minute.

A deep cross from Mario Melchiot was knocked down by Marcelo Moreno for Scotland to send a low drive into the corner of the net for his first Premier League goal for the club.

Fulham almost got a surprise leveller five minutes before the break when a cross from Duff nearly deceived Kirkland but the Wigan goalkeeper managed to tip the ball to safety from under the bar.

Fulham replaced Elm with Okaka at half-time and it brought immediate success for the home side.

Gera robbed Scharner on the left flank and his low cross towards the edge of the six-yard box was turned home by Okaka.

Wigan's Rodallega almost restored their lead in the 52nd minute but his 20-yard shot was well saved at the second attempt by Schwarzer.

At the opposite end, Duff forced Kirkland into a fine save when the Irishman unleashed a half-volley from 10 yards that threatened to find the corner of the net.

But Fulham went 2-1 in front in the 58th minute when Duff's corner was met by the towering frame of Hangeland, who directed his header into the net off the far post.

Fulham continued to dominate as Wigan tried to pick up the pace again following the home side's fightback.

Okaka almost managed to get free in the 69th minute but he failed to control the ball and it ran through to Kirkland.

Okaka's eventful afternoon ended with him collecting a booking and then being substituted in the 88th minute with an ankle problem.

But his goal straight after half-time had sparked Fulham's revival and despite some late injury-time pressure from Wigan, the home side hung on for a deserved win.

WhiteJC

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/fulham-fightback-keeps-wigan-in-the-drop-zone-452661.html

Fulham fightback keeps Wigan in the drop zone
Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 04:55 PM

Fulham 2 Wigan 1

A superb second-half fightback from Fulham ensured woeful Wigan remain in the relegation battle.

Goals from substitute Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland completed the home side's recovery after Jason Scotland's first Barclays Premier League goal for Wigan had put them in front in the 34th minute.

The defeat leaves Wigan in 16th place, just four points clear of the bottom three while Fulham remain on course for another top 10 finish so coveted by boss Roy Hodgson.

Fulham should have opened their account in the fifth minute when Damien Duff's inswinging cross was met by the head of centre-forward David Elm.

But the striker could not find the power or the deftness to place his header beyond Chris Kirkland.

Wigan responded with some good work by Hugo Rodallega but the striker's cross from the left flank was plucked out of the air by Mark Schwarzer.

Wigan defender Paul Scharner was booked for a foul on Elm in the 13th minute but Fulham failed to take advantage of the resultant free-kick.

Two minutes later Kirkland produced another fine save to deny Elm after Zoltan Gera had put the Fulham striker in the clear.

Fulham felt they should have had a penalty in the 18th minute when Gera appeared to be upended in the area by Mohamed Diame. Referee Mark Clattenburg was non-plussed, much to the fury of the home fans.

Wigan went close in the 28th minute when Scharner headed a corner by James McCarthy just wide of the target.

Fulham had Hangeland to thank moments later when Schwarzer spilled the ball to Scharner on the edge of the penalty area but the Wigan defender's chip was cleared off the line by the tall defender.

Schwarzer redeemed himself in 31st minute when he tipped a long-range effort from Maynor Figueroa over the crossbar.

A deep cross from Mario Melchiot was knocked down by Marcelo Moreno for Scotland to send a low drive into the corner of the net for his first Premier League goal for the club.

Fulham almost got a surprise leveller five minutes before the break when a cross from Duff nearly deceived Kirkland but the Wigan goalkeeper managed to tip the ball to safety from under the bar.

Fulham replaced Elm with Okaka at half-time and it brought immediate success for the home side.
Gera robbed Scharner on the left flank and his low cross towards the edge of the six-yard box was turned home by Okaka.

Wigan's Rodallega almost restored their lead in the 52nd minute but his 20-yard shot was well saved at the second attempt by Schwarzer.

At the opposite end, Duff forced Kirkland into a fine save when the Irishman unleashed a half-volley from 10 yards that threatened to find the corner of the net.

But Fulham went 2-1 in front in the 58th minute when Duff's corner was met by the towering frame of Hangeland, who directed his header into the net off the far post.

Fulham continued to dominate as Wigan tried to pick up the pace again following the home side's fightback.

Okaka almost managed to get free in the 69th minute but he failed to control the ball and it ran through to Kirkland.

Okaka's eventful afternoon ended with him collecting a booking and then being substituted in the 88th minute with an ankle problem.

But his goal straight after half-time had sparked Fulham's revival and despite some late injury-time pressure from Wigan, the home side hung on for a deserved win.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/fulham-fightback-keeps-wigan-in-the-drop-zone-452661.html#ixzz0kCqxzJrF

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/36447/Cottagers_hit_back_to_sink_Latics.aspx
Cottagers hit back to sink Latics

Fulham finally transformed their impressive European form on to the domestic stage by coming from behind to secure a first Premier League victory since February 21, seeing off Wigan Athletic 2-1.

A first Cottagers league goal from on-loan Roma striker Stefano Okaka and a fine headed goal from Brede Hangeland cranked up the relegation pressure on the struggling Latics.

Though without in-form talisman Bobby Zamora, Fulham started with the zest of a side full of confidence after their superb 2-1 Europa League victory over Wolfsburg.

The Cottagers created the first clear chance after five minutes when Thursday's European hero Damien Duff picked out Zoltan Gera, but his header was well held by goalkeeper Chris Kirkland.

Then Zamora's replacement David Elm found space in the box, but Kirkland was again equal to the effort.

However, the hosts should have had the chance to score from the spot after 20 minutes with the Fulham faithful livid at referee Mark Clattenburg for failing to award a penalty after Gera appeared to be sent sprawling by Titus Bramble.

But, after showing their defensive resilience, Roberto Martinez's side so nearly notched the opener just after the half hour when Paul Scharner's lob was cleared off the line by Hangeland.

There was no reprieve for Fulham though in the 34th minute when the Latics grabbed the lead through a half-volley from Jason Scotland that caught Mark Schwarzer out at his near post, after the hosts had allowed Marcelo Moreno to nod down for the former Swansea hitman.

Fulham drew level though less than two minutes into the second half when substitute Okaka flicked the ball past Kirkland with his first touch after good work down the left by the impressive Gera.

That leveller transformed Fulham and their improved second-half showing was rewarded in the 58th minute with Hangeland's towering header from a Duff corner finding the back of the net via Kirkland's outstretched hand and a post.

The Fulham fans claimed another penalty near the end when Clint Dempsey went down after a challenge by Bramble, but this time action replays showed that it was a clean tackle and two was enough for Fulham in the end.

Goalscorer Okaka handed manager Roy Hodson another injury headache though when he hobbled off with five minutes to go.

However, Zamora's apparent knock that ruled him out was not thought to be serious enough to make him a doubt for the European quarter-final second leg at Wolfsburg

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/04/04/brede-hangeland-heads-fulham-to-victory-82029-26174484/
Brede Hangeland heads Fulham to victory

Fulham 2-1 Wigan

BREDE Hangeland handed Fulham their first Premier League win since February against Wigan at Craven Cottage.

The Whites trailed to Jason Scotland's first-half opener before substitute Stefano Okaka levelled, then Hangeland headed the winner to earn the points.

Fulham were denied a stonewall penalty when Zoltan Gera was chopped in the box, but it was Roberto Martinez's side who broke the deadlock against the run of play.

Marcelo Moreno headed the ball to Scotland, and he lashed the ball past Mark Schwarzer from the edge of the box to hand Wigan a half-time lead.

However, the hosts got back on terms less than two minutes after the interval when Okaka, on as a sub for David Elm, flicked home Gera's driven cross.

And it wasn't long before Roy Hodgson's side got their noses in front.

Damien Duff swung in a corner from the left, and Hangeland stooped to head past Chris Kirkland off the far post to give Fulham victory.

WhiteJC

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2010/April/04/wigan-in-relegation-trouble-after-defeat-at-fulham/
Wigan in relegation trouble after defeat at Fulham

LONDON (AFP) - Fulham pushed Wigan deeper into the relegation dogfight as second-half goals from Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland clinched a 2-1 win over the Latics on Sunday.

Roy Hodgson's side trailed to Jason Scotland's first half goal at Craven Cottage, but on-loan Roma forward Okaka equalised for the hosts early in the second half before Hangeland headed the winner that leaves Wigan just four points above the relegation zone.

While Fulham will go into the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final against Wolfsburg in good spirits, Wigan are facing a grim struggle to beat the drop.

However, Hodgson was frustrated with the crowd's reaction to Fulham's first half display and he said: "I am just taking the moment really to remind the fans we do still try to give them everything but there is going to come a time in these last six games when I'm pretty sure we will disappoint them.

"All I am saying is that it would be nice if people showed some sympathy and understanding for that.

"They don't deserve people shouting 'wake-up'. It is not a question of waking-up, it is a question of getting tired legs going again in a tough Premier League game."

Hodgson's decision to rest players against Hull last weekend to save them for the Cottagers' clash with Wolfsburg prompted West Ham to complain in the Premier League.

Even with a 2-1 lead to defend in the second leg against Wolfsburg on Thursday, Hodgson selected a stronger team for his club's latest league match, with Bobby Zamora the only key absentee.

Zamora's replacement David Elm should have opened the scoring in the fifth minute, but the Swede was unable to enough direction or power in his header from Damien Duff's cross and Chris Kirkland saved well.

Kirkland had to make a tougher save soon after as Elm surged onto Zoltan Gera's pass and tested the Wigan keeper with a well-struck shot.

Fulham felt they should have had a penalty in the 18th minute when Gera appeared to be upended in the area by Mohamed Diame but referee Mark Clattenburg waved away their appeals.

Wigan went close in the 28th minute when Paul Scharner headed James McCarthy's corner just wide.

Hangeland bailed out Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer when he cleared off the line after the Australian spilled the ball to Scharner on the edge of the penalty area.

But Wigan continued to look dangerous and took the lead in the 34th minute.

Mario Melchiot's cross was knocked down by Marcelo Moreno for Scotland to send a low drive into the corner of the net for his first Premier League goal.

Fulham nearly got a lucky equaliser just before half-time when Kirkland recovered to tip Duff's cross over the bar after initially misjudging the flight of the ball.

Hodgson replaced Elm with Okaka at half-time and his change paid immediate dividends in the 47th minute when Gera robbed Scharner and crossed for Okaka to slot home from close-range.

Duff forced Kirkland into a fine save when the Irishman hit a goalbound volley moments later.

And Fulham took the lead in the 58th minute when Duff's corner was met by Hangeland and the Norway defender directed his header into the net off the far post.

Okaka limped off in the 88th minute with an ankle problem, but Fulham had already done enough to take the points that kept them on course for a top-ten finish.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/04/fulham-wigan-athletic-premier-league
Roy Hodgson's master switch sparks Fulham comeback against Wigan

Damien Duff, left, and Wigan Athletic's Maynor Figueroa battle for possession during Fulham's 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage. Photograph: Joe Giddens/Empics Sport

A glance at the standings had indicated Wigan Athletic required the points more than Roy Hodgson's band of continental travellers.

However, the week in which Fulham will take a 2-1 advantage to Wolfsburg in their Europa League quarter-final second leg began perfectly for Hodgson with a win that lifts them to 41 points and the near certainty of Premier League football next season.

For Roberto Martínez life is not so rosy as Wigan remain only four points clear of the drop zone. Still, his players offered enough encouragement here that they can stay ahead of the bottom three until season's end, though their supporters may have to wait until the final day to celebrate survival.

Wigan were quietly impressive when they managed to retain possession. Hugo Rodallega, lining up to the left of an advanced three, has a wiry strength that complements pace and deft control. One mazy run early on took him past Fulham defenders into the area, and a later burst in-field worried the midfield.

Worry deepened for Hodgson's men after the half‑hour during a spell which closed with Jason Scotland finally scoring a first Premier League goal for Wigan.

Mario Melchiot stepped up from his right-back berth to deliver a hanging cross to Marcelo Moreno, and a cushioned header found Scotland. The forward ended his top-flight drought on his 29th appearance by skidding a left-foot finish beyond Mark Schwarzer as his backside hit the turf.

Hodgson decided to remove David Elm at half-time for Stefano Okaka, and the impact was instant. Zoltan Gera drove into Wigan's area, his low ball found the on-loan Roma striker and the back-heeled finish beat Kirkland.

Brede Hangeland's winner, the defender's first league goal this term, was simple stuff. Damien Duff stood up a corner and the Norwegian's header flipped in off the left-hand post

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/4/4/1404628/fulham-beat-wigan-2-1-with-two
Fulham beat Wigan 2 - 1 with two second half goals

Going into this match the talk was who would Roy Hogdson rest for this match? Bobby Zamora was the only Fulham player of note that was rested today. This game was about two completely different halves of football. The first half saw Wigan leading at the half 1 - 0. Fulham owned the second half with 2 goals. The game ended with Fulham winning the match at Craven Cottage 2 - 1.

The first half saw some good action from both sides. However, it was Wigan who controlled the ball more. Fulham did have the first chance of the game. In the 5th minute Zoltan Gera's diving header is saved by Kirkland. His header came off from a pass from Damien Duff. In the 15th minute, David Elm got off a nice strike but is was also saved by Kirkland.

After a few opportunities by Fulham it was obvious that Wigan were starting to get control of the match. They were starting to put pressure on Fulham. In the 28th minute a header by Scharner off of a corner kick just goes high over the net. In the 31st minute a flick by Scharner goes over Schwarzer, but is headed away by Hangeland.

All of this pressure led to the first goal of the match. In the 34th minute, Moreno gave a nice pass to Jason Scotland who struck it past Mark Schwarzer. Wigan were now ahead 1 - 0. You could see this coming as Wigan were controlling the ball for several minutes.

Fulham had some possession as the half was coming to an end. In the 38th minute a shot by David Elm just goes high. Fulham were putting pressure on Wigan , but could not get the equalizer in the first half. The half ends with Wigan leading 1 - 0.

The second half began with a substitution. Stefano Okaka was brought in to replace David Elm at Striker. I was actually hoping Okaka would play the entire match. Based on his effort in the second half,  I am hoping he will see more playing time.

In the 47h minute, a lovely pass from Zoltan Gera inside the box found Stefano Okaka. He flicked the pass by Kirkland, and suddenly the game was now tied. The second half had barely begun, and the score was now 1 - 1.

Wigan would respond with some nice pressure of their own. This was highlighted by a Rodallega strike that was saved by Schwarzer. This was a nice response from Wigan.

Fulham's play would heat up again a few minutes later. In the 57 minute, Zoltan Gera sends a great pass to Damien Duff.  His nice shot comes from the right side of the box. It was saved beautifully by Kirkland. This was a great chance for Fulham.

Fulham's positive play would be rewarded shortly. In the 58th minute, there was a corner kick by Damien Duff. His kick is headed in by Brede Hangeland that just goes off Kirkland's hands. Fulham now took the lead with a score of 2 - 1.

Wigan would try to move forward for the rest of the match. They were controlling play, but had a hard time penetrating the Fulham defense. There best chance came off of a corner kick in the 71st minute. Victor Moses header just goes over the net. They would sustain pressure the rest of the match. However, they were not able to get the equalizer. Fulham win the match 2 - 1.

In concluding, this is a match Fulham deserved to win. They showed Wigan how tough they are at home, especially in the second half.  Standout players for me were Zoltan Gera who really got beat up in this match. I would also have to say Stefano Okaka was very good in the second half. He is strong and has a nice touch with the ball. I am hoping we see more of him. He was replaced late in the match hobbling off the pitch. Let's hope he was not injured too badly today. In the end, Fulham won a game that they should win in the league.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3262148,00.html
Fulham fightback sinks Latics
Cottagers come from behind to down sorry Wigan

Fulham came from a goal behind to defeat Wigan 2-1 to leave Roberto Martinez's side looking firmly over their shoulder in their fight against relegation.

The Latics were the better side in the first half with Mohamed Diame running the show in the midfield, consistently dispossessing and disrupting a sluggish looking Fulham who appeared to be nursing a hangover from their victory over Wolfsburg in the Europa League on Thursday.

Wigan took the lead through Jason Scotland, his first in the Premier League for the club.

But that was as good as it got for the visitors, as despite making it to half-time with the lead, Fulham levelled almost immediately after the restart through substitute Stefano Okaka, which was almost his first touch.

Fulham improved after that and started to dominate proceedings, with Zoltan Gera, Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey all linking up to good effect.

Brede Hangeland won the day for the Cottagers on the hour mark with a stooping header unchallenged from a Duff corner to leave Wigan no closer to Premier League safety.

The defeat leaves Wigan in 16th place, just four points clear of the bottom three while Fulham remain on course for another top-10 finish so coveted by boss Roy Hodgson.

Fulham should have opened their account in the fifth minute when Duff's inswinging cross was met by the head of centre-forward David Elm.

Two minutes later Kirkland produced another fine save to deny Elm after Gera had put the Fulham striker in the clear.

Controversy
Fulham felt they should have had a penalty in the 18th minute when Gera appeared to be upended in the area by Diame. Referee Mark Clattenburg was non-plussed, much to the fury of the home fans.

Schwarzer redeemed himself in the 31st minute when he tipped a long-range effort from Maynor Figueroa over the crossbar.

A deep cross from Mario Melchiot was knocked down by Marcelo Moreno for Scotland to send a low drive into the corner of the net.

Turn-around

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/fulham-2-1-wigan/
Fulham 2-1 Wigan
Filed under: Match info — weltmeisterclaude @ 5:29 pm

A gentle Easter Sunday at the Cottage, with blue skies and slow, aimless football to lose your thoughts in.  Wigan's road safety orange kits spoiled the spectacle slightly, otherwise it felt like watching football in a dream.

Mark Clattenburg was a key figure in this dream.  Instead of refereeing he was running around making strange gesticulations, now pretending to make a rugby pass, now pretending to fly, now pointing at his eyes with his fingers, now standing like a Beefeater, now doing a muscleman pose.  What did it all mean?  And why wasn't he awarding any penalties?

Zoltan Gera had the first chance, heading at Kirkland with David Elm behind him well placed.  Gera again worked his way into the danger area, only to be felled at the crucial moment.  Clattenberg wasn't interested in that, or when Elm was pulled over, or when Dempsey was tripped later on in the first half.  Somewhere in there was a penalty or two.

Aside from that we weren't creating much.  Wigan had cleverly stuck wide men on Konchesky and Davies, and neither were able to get forward as a result.  This limited our attacks to whatever Damian Duff and Gera might conjure up, and Wigan were snuffing their approach work out as well.

At the other end Jason Scotland, who has previous against us, broke a long scoring drought with a splendid falling volley that perhaps Mark Schwarzer might have kept out.  1-0 to Wigan.

Hodgson switched reserve forwards at the break, a betighted Stefano Okaka replacing David Elm.  Okaka scored moments after arriving, a neat flick from close range getting him off the mark in the league.  Soon after this he injured himself and spent the rest of the match deciding how bad this affliction really was, grimacing, hands-on-knees, then sprinting off down a dead end.  Eventually he gave way to Nevland and walked off the field like a 97 year old man, job perhaps done, performance not great but presumably injury affected.

Brede Hangeland made it 2-1 with a fine header from a Duff corner, and that was that.  Dempsey looked to have been felled in the area by Titus Bramble late on, but again no penalty.   Oh well.  A nice enough win that essentially secures our Premiership survival, which wasn't really in doubt anyway.

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04042010/63/woeful-wigan-slump-fulham-defeat.html
Woeful Wigan slump to Fulham defeat

A superb second-half fightback from Fulham gave them a 2-1 victory which ensured woeful Wigan remain in the relegation battle.

Wigan started well and the goal they had threatened finally arrived in the 34th minute. A deep cross from Mario Melchiot was knocked down by Marcelo Moreno for Scotland to send a low drive into the corner of the net for his first Premier League goal for the club.

Fulham replaced David Elm with Okaka at half-time and it brought immediate success for the home side. Zoltan Gera robbed Paul Scharner on the left flank and his low cross towards the edge of the six-yard box was turned home by Okaka.

Fulham went 2-1 in front in the 58th minute when Damien Duff's corner was met by the towering frame of Hangeland, who directed his header into the net off the far post.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/HodgsonWiganReaction.aspx
Hodgson's Wigan Reaction

Speaking after Fulham's win over Wigan at Craven Cottage, a pleased Roy Hodgson gave his post-match assessment:

"The first-half performance was way below the levels we set ourselves, but I know how much our players are putting into the Europa League matches and I wasn't surprised," he said.

"But the players dug deep, and that speaks volumes for their character.

"Bobby Zamora is suffering with a kicked achilles, but I'll be very disappointed if he isn't fit to face Wolfsburg.

"The crowd has been fantastic but you do hope sometimes that people show some degree of understanding for the level of difficulty people are being faced with.

"I am just taking the moment really to remind the fans we do still try to give them everything but there is going to come a time in these last six games when I'm pretty sure we will disappoint them.

"I am afraid that sooner or later there is going to be a performance like the first half against Wigan which goes on for 90 minutes and we lose two or three-nil at home because these things are written in the stars.

"No team can go on and on and on. I am bit annoyed with myself for talking about it. I am just making the point that we have done so much this year that I know that sooner or later, we are going to hit a barrier that we are incapable of surmounting." 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/HodgsonWiganReaction.aspx#ixzz0kCvN8QI5

WhiteJC

http://itn.co.uk/98187aca9bf9341fb3712a85f9ec5db7.html
Fulham come from behind to heap woe on Wigan

A superb second-half fightback from Fulham ensured Wigan remain in the relegation battle.

Goals from substitute Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland completed the home side's 2-1 win after Jason Scotland's first Premier League goal for Wigan had put them in front in the 34th minute.

The defeat leaves Wigan in 16th place, just four points clear of the bottom three while Fulham remain on course for another top ten finish coveted by boss Roy Hodgson.

"The first-half performance was way below the levels we set ourselves, but I know how much our players are putting into the Europa League matches and I wasn't surprised," said Roy Hodgson after the game.

"But the players dug deep, and that speaks volumes for their character.

"Bobby Zamora is suffering with a kicked achilles, but I'll be very disappointed if he isn't fit to face Wolfsburg."

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-fightback-sinks-poor-wigan-match-review
Fulham fightback sinks poor Wigan: Match Review
Fulham 2 - 1 Wigan Athletic

The defeat leaves Wigan in 16th place, while Fulham remain on course for another top 10 finish so coveted by boss Roy Hodgson.

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/generalnews/hodgson-wants-patience-from-fulham-fans-996585949.html
Hodgson wants patience from Fulham fans
Roy Hodgson took time out to ask for some "sympathy and understanding" from Fulham fans after they booed his side off the pitch at half-time.

Fulham were losing 1-0 to Jason Scotland's 34th goal - his first in the Barclays Premier League for Wigan - and some elements of the Craven Cottage faithful were not happy with the performance of the home side.

The Cottagers fought back to win the game 2-1 with second-half goals from substitute Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland and will now concentrate on Thursday's Europa Cup quarter-final second-leg at Wolfsburg.

However, Hodgson wanted to remind the Fulham fans that at some point before the end of the season, they might have to suffer a poor home performance.

"The crowd has been fantastic but you do hope sometimes that people show some degree of understanding for the level of difficulty people are being faced with," said Hodgson.

"I am just taking the moment really to remind the fans we do still try to give them everything but there is going to come a time in these last six games when I'm pretty sure we will disappoint them.

"I am afraid that sooner or later there is going to be a performance like the first half against Wigan which goes on for 90 minutes and we lose two or three-nil at home because these things are written in the stars.

"No team can go on and on and on. I am bit annoyed with myself for talking about it. I am just making the point that we have done so much this year that I know that sooner or later, we are going to hit a barrier that we are incapable of surmounting.

"We have got six more games in the league and I know they won't be at the level of the previous 54 or 55. All I am saying is that it would be nice if people showed some sympathy and understanding for that.

"They don't deserve people shouting 'wake-up'. It is not a question of waking-up, it is a question of getting tired legs going again in a tough Premier League game."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6075169,00.html
Hodgson pleased with comeback
Fulham boss delighted with second-half response

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson admitted that he was happy with his side's second-half fightback in their 2-1 victory over Wigan on Sunday.

The Cottagers went in to the second half trailing 1-0 and seemed to be suffering from the hangover of their game against Wolfsburg in the Europa League.

Hodgson was criticised for his team selection by West Ham after his side were beaten by Hull last weekend, but the Fulham boss fielded a strong side even though his team travel to Germany on Thursday for their next European chapter.

"The players were disappointed with their first-half performance," he said.

"Without actually being in any way under threat we conceded a somewhat simple goal and we certainly hadn't played anything like the football we're capable of playing.

"I think the players deserve an enormous amount of credit for digging so deep yet again in our 53rd game of the season after the type of excitement we've had.

"I don't think I can be happier with the victory than I am at this moment. It was really hard fought and really well deserved."

Great response
Striker Stefano Okaka came on at half-time and scored just 90 seconds after the restart to restore parity to the game, and Hodgson was pleased that the player had made such an impact so quickly.

"It's always nice when you make a substitution and you get a response from them when they score a goal," he added.

"It was also nice to see Brede [Hangeland] score a goal, but I thought the whole team in the second half just played really well.

"We restricted them to as good as no chances at all and even in the first half I didn't think we were under great threat."

Fulham have now reached over 40 points in the league which should make their Premier League status certain for another year, but Hodgson confessed that he would like to try and get into the top 10, although other commitments may hinder that challenge.

"The league still does mean a lot and we would like to get our place in the top 10 back but I do feel it will be difficult because it's taken a lot out of us this year."

Zamora
Top scorer Bobby Zamora was absent from the victory with a slight Achilles problem, something Hodgson admitted he was slightly worried about as he did not know the full extent of the injury.

"I'm a little bit worried about it because they told me yesterday that it wasn't that serious and there would be a chance he'd recover for today but there was no improvement," Hodgson added.

"I'm hoping there will be an improvement in the next couple of days."