watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (05/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 05, 2010, 07:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/4/5/1405783/analysis-of-my-5-keys-to-victory
Analysis of "My 5 Keys to Victory for Fulham against Wigan"
by Fulhampatsfan on Apr 5, 2010 2:45 PM BST  0 comments

Fulham beat Wigan yesterday at Craven Cottage 2 -1.  This was an important victory for the team. Fulham have not performed great lately in the league. I really believed they needed the 3 points and the victory. As a review I like to go back and look at my keys to the match. Were any of my "keys" important in this match? Below is an "analysis of my 5 keys to victory for Fulham against Wigan."   

1. Fuham need to be up by at least a goal or maybe more by the half.  Well, we will see if this key affects them in the match on Thursday. My feelings going into the match was to be ahead at the half might give Hogdson the ability to rest players in the second half. This key was more about the big picture and this Thursday against Wolfsburg. I also thought if they were up at the half it would really hurt the confidence of Wigan. Since they were down at the half I would imagine that Wigan was feeling pretty good coming out for the second half. For Fulham's sake being down might have gotten the players to dig a little deeper, and really push harder in the second half.

2. I am looking for Stefano Okaka to start and make an impact on the match.  Okaka did not start, but there is no question he made an impact. He scored a goal and I thought he was pretty physical up front. Maybe Roy will give him a chance to start in the next couple of weeks. I would like to see more of Okaka rather than less.

3.  What kind of lineup changes will there be tomorrow? To my surprise there was only one change to the lineup of significance. Bobby Zamora was the only player who rested in this match. I think the lack of lineup changes was a positive yesterday. I thought the team played well especially in the second half. Players like Hangeland, Hughes and Murphy could have been rested. If Hangeland is not playing, Wigan might have scored a goal on a flick that went over Schwarzer's head. Hangeland was at the net and headed the ball away.  I am happy that there were not many changes yesterday.

4. Fulham need to take advantage of the Wigan defense with Gary Caldwell out.  I thought Fulham did take advantage of the Wigan defense. Both goals that were scored could be considered soft. Okaka and Hangeland both took advantage of Wigan. I wished there were a few more opportunities though.     

5. If Chris Smalling is playing tomorrow on defense he needs to be solid. Chris Smalling did not play. If he did play for Hangeland would he have made that header to keep a shot out of the net? Chris Smalling will probably get more playing time at the end of the year. Let's just hope he does play solid in the future as long as he is a Fulham player.

In concluding this was a match that Fulham needed to win. On most of my keys Fulham did succeed. The club picked it up in the second half and did what they had to for the win. It is now on to Germany. I can't wait for Thursday.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1263706/Fulham-rest-like-West-Ham-complaint-dismissed-Cottagers-defender-Aaron-Hughes.html?ITO=1490
Fulham can rest who they like! West Ham complaint dismissed by Cottagers defender Aaron Hughes
Fulham defender Aaron Hughes insists boss Roy Hodgson is entitled to rest his players whenever he feels it is necessary. 

The Premier League are expected to talk to Fulham this week following West Ham's complaint that they fielded a weakened team in their 2-0 defeat to Hull last week.

The league have already confirmed that the Hammers made an official protest at Fulham's decision to make six changes to their side against the Tigers.

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan believes Fulham broke league rules by resting key players ahead of last week's Europa League quarter-final against Wolfsburg, which Fulham won 2-1.   

The Cottagers made just one change to the side that beat the Germans when they defeated Wigan 2-1 at Craven Cottage yesterday. Jason Scotland had put Wigan in front in the 34th minute with his first Barclays Premier League strike for the club. But second-half goals from substitute Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland kept Wigan dangerously close to the relegation zone.   

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan believes Fulham broke league rules by resting key players ahead of last week's Europa League quarter-final against Wolfsburg, which Fulham won 2-1.   

The Cottagers made just one change to the side that beat the Germans when they defeated Wigan 2-1 at Craven Cottage yesterday. Jason Scotland had put Wigan in front in the 34th minute with his first Barclays Premier League strike for the club. But second-half goals from substitute Stefano Okaka and Brede Hangeland kept Wigan dangerously close to the relegation zone.   

Hodgson will not be afraid to rest more players with six games to go. 'We will make changes in the forthcoming six games, some of these players do need a rest,' he said.

'It has been a magnificent season as far as I am concerned. What the players have done is lifted the club to another level. We have been given an awful lot of credit and the fans have been magnificent on European nights.'

Fulham will now go to Wolfsburg on Thursday hoping to go on and reach the semi-finals of the Europa League. But while Europe has been a nice distraction for the club, Hughes says a top-10 finish in the league remains a priority. 

'I think everyone would agree that we have come a long way but at the same time we are under no illusions of what we need to achieve,' said Hughes. 'It would definitely be nice to finish in the top half but it will be tough because there are three or four teams with similar ambitions.   

'It would be a great achievement though, especially when you consider the amount of games we have had to play.'
Captain Danny Murphy believes Fulham can go to Wolfsburg and finish the job to claim a place in the last four.   

'I am very confident we can score ourselves in the second leg, so we will go there with the belief that we can and then they will have to score three to win the tie,' he said.   

'Their goal right at the end took the gloss off an otherwise fantastic night, but I don't think we should be too harsh on ourselves.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1263706/Fulham-rest-like-West-Ham-complaint-dismissed-Cottagers-defender-Aaron-Hughes.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0kEtiHtUP

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/4/5/1405855/hogdson-is-optimistic-that-zamora
Hogdson is optimistic that Zamora will be available for Fulham on Thursday

With the second leg of the Europa League Quarterfinals coming up on Thursday, will Bobby Zamora be fit to play? According to the Skysports.com article," Zamora in fitness race", he is suffering from an achilles injury. He did not play yesterday in the Fulham 2 - 1 victory against Wigan. In his place was David Elm.

According to this skysports.com article, "Zamora in fitness race"Roy Hogdson is optimistic that Zamora will recover from this achilles injury to be fit for the quarterfinals second leg of the Europa league on Thursday. The article has this quote from the Fulham manager. Hogdson stated " We were hoping he would recover in time to play against Wigan but didn't. The medical staff are optimistic he will recover in time for Thursday." 

This article also mentions that David Elm, who was Zamora's replacement, was taken to the hospital for a precautionary measure. Also, according to this article Elm has been dealing with a Virus. Let's hope the young Swede recovers soon.   

I will be monitoring the progress of Zamora and Elm as we get closer to the game on Thursday. I have a feeling that Roy Hogdson would like both of them to be available for Thursday.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/04/05/fulham-can-be-a-premier-league-force-vows-brede-hangeland-64767-26179392/
Fulham can be a Premier League force, vows Brede Hangeland
FULHAM'S defensive rock Brede Hangeland believes his club can be a Premier League force for years to come after their superb achievements this season.

The 28-year-old Norwegian headed the winner against Wigan in the 53rd game of a marathon season for Fulham that has included long runs in both the FA Cup and Europa League.

But the Cottagers shrugged off any signs of tiredness from Thursday's epic quarter-final first leg victory over Wolfsburg by coming from behind to beat Wigan.

"It was a big relief to win as we have struggled to get points in the league lately," admitted Hangeland.

"That is probably down to the fact that we have put a lot of effort into the European games and this came on the back of a tough game on Thursday, so it was a great achievement for us to win.

"We would like to think that we have now come away from just battling relegation every year. I hope that is going to be the case for years to come and to get above 40 points with still six games to go is a good feeling.

"I have a long contract here so I would love to stay for as long as that lasts."

mike_f

Bolton are leading the chase to sign Sporting Lisbon's Portuguese Under-21 starlet Bruno Pereirinha.

Midfielder Pereirinha, 22, who is under contract until 2012, is being allowed to move to the Premier League on a season-long loan to help his career progress.

Super-agent Pini Zahavi is trying to broker a deal, with Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham all watching developments.

Pereirinha scored against Bolton in the UEFA Cup two years ago.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Bolton-lead-Blackburn-and-Fulham-in-the-race-for-Portuguese-Under-21-star-article381625.html