watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How The Smalling Deal Unfolded

Started by White Noise, January 27, 2010, 07:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-United-complete-12m-Smalling-deal-as-they-fend-off-interest-from-Arsenal-article302823.html

United complete £12m Smalling deal

Published 17:42 27/01/10

By John Cross

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson last night struck an amazing £12million deal for Fulham defender Chris Smalling.

Ferguson agreed to pay that fee after another frantic day of drama surrounding the 20-year-old, as United upped their original offer to fend off Arsenal.

United had an £8m bid accepted at the weekend for Smalling, who was playing for non-league Maidstone just two years ago.

That included a clause which stated any other club would have to bid £10m to be given permission to talk to him, and yet Arsenal met that demand on Tuesday night.

However, United then went back, matched Arsenal's offer and finally settled on a £12m deal which will include clauses for appearances and success.

It represents an incredible fairytale rise for Smalling who only made his Premier League debut last month having joined Fulham two years ago from Maidstone for just £10,000.

Smalling was on just £5,000-a-week at Fulham, where he will stay for the rest of the season, before going to United in the summer where he will quadruple his salary.

But Maidstone will not get a penny from the incredible bidding war between Arsenal and United as he was a non-contract player when he left and Fulham paid the transfer fee out of goodwill.

RidgeRider

12M!!!? I realize some of that is laden with incentives but still. Well done AMac!....and thank you Arsene!

finnster01

If I am a United fan I would be a bit worried about Chris "Steve Marlet" Smalling
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

JBH

Sound to me like Fulham managed to squeeze the Mancs for more dosh, when you consider that we have reportedly recieved nearly as much for Smalling that we did for Saha, then I think the club have to be congratulated.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: finnster01 on January 27, 2010, 07:52:11 PM
If I am a United fan I would be a bit worried about Chris "Steve Marlet" Smalling
not our problem I'm please to say,we've just got to worry about who to buy ;D

Jimpav

Well done Woy and happy birthday Mr Al Fayed. Let's hope that asking prices don't get bumped up.

Scrumpy

If this is true, then you've got to say that A.Mac, and whoever else gets involved with negotiations, has done superbly. 12 million!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Fernhurst

Talksport slagging us mercilessly tonight for selling him cheap ( figure of 6 million was quoted) when The Mancs paid 18 mill for Carrick and 30 mill for Berbatov. Said we had "given him away" as Roy was big mate of Sir Alex and the deal was cut over a cosy LMA lunch.
The question was " does Roy really care for Fulham?"

Carrick and Smalling - like for like do you think?

Steve_orino

I was somewhat content with 8 million but this 12 million figure has me doing cart-wheels!

To sell him for nearly as much as Saha, who was much more a part of the team than Smalling has been, and for him to still be an unproven commodity - I think we done good.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Burt

The world has gone wrong when someone of his age can command:
a) Such a huge transfer fee, given he is unproven, and
b) £20k a week in wages when he is at ManU.

Still, swells the coffers a bit I guess.

lamby

The amazing thing is Arsenal payed LESS for Vermaelen at the start of the year AND ManU payed LESS for Vidic a couple of years ago.

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: lamby on January 28, 2010, 12:10:47 AM
The amazing thing is Arsenal payed LESS for Vermaelen at the start of the year AND ManU payed LESS for Vidic a couple of years ago.

Meaning we will be able to get like value for the money we will be spending.
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

Quote from: lamby on January 28, 2010, 12:10:47 AM

As I keep pointing out over and over, neither Vermaelen nor Vidic is ENGLISH. English players are the worst bargains in the business because they are so over-valued. Having said that, I think Smalling is class and will do well down the road barring injury. He's smart and tough and has good instincts. Not quite sure why Mr. Finn is trashing him. It's not like he went to the press and demanded to leave Fulham
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bog

If it is £12m that has to be the most meteoric rise for a non-league player ever. I hope that Maidstone do receive something for their coffers. £12m! The big test is if Chris can handle both the expectation and the price tag. May be back with us in two years for £2m! Two years ago playing in front of about 200 in home games now suddenly rising to 70,000!   

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

The most important thing is we can make big imrovements to starting 11 with this money,not just buy squad players-onward and upward!

Logicalman

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on January 28, 2010, 10:54:04 AM
The most important thing is we can make big imrovements to starting 11 with this money,not just buy squad players-onward and upward!

Agreed