News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What actually happens to Fulham Brits abroad?

Started by finnster01, October 25, 2010, 12:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

So here I am in NY about a year later after moving.

What has happened to me?

I have learned a lot:

1) I have become a better man
2) I have become a better professional
3) I have learned a higher degree of respect for other nationals
4) I have learned how to swear better in Spanish
5) I have seen and heard some great live music by some great musicians in establishments frequented by legends of the past
6) I miss the Cottage on a Saturday
7) I get better food but I miss the late night burgers off Fulham Rd with loads of English mustard that will make the hairs in your behind stand to attention
8) I miss the full English breakfast on Saturdays in the pub with my daughter and the newspapers and the walk in Bishops Park with Stratton the Bulldog.

What about the rest of you expats? What's your experiences?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Logicalman

I can agree with the majority of them Finn.

Been here 12 years, moved over just turning 40, so I had a lot of cultural baggage from the homeland.

I am a better man due to coming to understand that all the crap hype about America and Americans is just that. Here people, in the main, are more patriotic than back home, and that sometimes comes across as big-headed and arrogant - which they are not. Still cannot get used to the gun thing though and the rules of American Football still elude me, no matter how hard SWMBO tries to explain them.

In my field I HAVE become a better professional, because IT in the US is where it is at. The skills are second to none, the training is second to none, and the general awareness is second to none.

The respect is as above, purely down to understanding.

Ahh, you have me on the Spanish swearing. Unfortunately (?) I have still failed to let go of my own language enough to swear in another, mine will do.

I find that I have the opportunity now to see some great bands (Eagles, etc) but growing up as a kid behind the Hammersmith Odeon, I got to see all the greats in my formative years, and so I am able to just continue what I started out doing as a kid.

For all the rants, for all the bravado, there is still something inside that tells me that the Cottage is my spiritual home, and where I should really be. We were fortunate this year to return to the UK for our wedding blessing, which we had at St Andrews, and then we had the reception at the Cottage. For the first time in my life I stepped inside the Cottage itself, and I felt I had achieved my life's ambition. I am Fulham born and bred, and I'll be so when I'm dead.

Food. I miss the opportunity to just nip out and get some good bangers, bring them home and have bangers and mash. I miss the Cornish Pasties, the rubies, Walkers crisps, and of course, ESB, Pride and Tanglefoot on draught. You are, perhaps, fortunate living in NYC, inasmuch that its likely most of the British foodstuffs are still readily available to you there, but in the wilds of the Midwest, we are not so fortunate.

After saying all that though, would I want to return and live back 'home'? Not at all. America is my home, it has been since I got here, notwithstanding the struggle I had coming to terms with that and accepting the cultural differences, it is a better place to be for me, but it is still not Fulham, and that's, perhaps, the only thing that grinds.

FC Silver Fox

I've been living in France for 34 years, but still hoping to get remission for good conduct.
I've learnt to speak French well enough to beat most French in French scrabble.
I've learnt to swear in English to French soccer refs with a smile on my face so that I don't get booked.
I've learnt about wine to almost professional standards but can't do it in my own language (lack of vocabulary).
I've learnt to cook.
I still can't support France at soccer or rugby.
I've learnt to ski.  wellll , get down most slopes in one piece anyway.
I still hate pretty much all French music that has come after Jacques Brel (he's Belgian anyway).
I still have to get back to the U.K. 2 or 3 times a year to recharge the Brit batteries.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

YankeeJim

I moved from America to Los Angeles in 1979. To those of you who don't know, LA is a country unto itself. As Gallager the comedian has said, "LA is like a bowl of granola. What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes".

Oh, and when I cash my pension in 388 days, it won't be in LA. What the cost of a midsize flat in SW6?   :002:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

LBNo11

...a nice insight into our man in NYC.. 9739.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

keith

The thing i didn`t like about living in Torrevieja,Costa Blanca.On the day following our Europa final defeat,while in a Petrol station,i counted Seven Athletico Madrid shirts.I`d bever seen one before in Eight Years.They usually wear R Madrid or Barcelona shirts.