News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nfr...olympics, just heard some more bad news, oh dear.

Started by jarv, July 31, 2012, 04:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

I'm from Sydney and was there for the 2000 games, and all through the lead up and the games in London I've heard the same things as I heard 12 years ago. I think the biggest worry for London is what will happen to the facilities. In Sydney the stadium was modified and changed (albeit not amazingly popular these days) into something that is used regularly. There is still no plan as to what is meant to happen to the olympic stadium post games and I think that is a big concern.

Terry Angus

what a load of bs. as if anyone posting on this forum knows enough about this kinda thing to be able to consider all the elements, effects and implications of an olympics over the coming decades. as if anyone with that level of expertise actually knows enough about london and these olympics to say anything like this. as if anyone with that level expertise and knowledge of these olympics could actually could reasonably conclude these things at this early stage, from a summary analysis.

this is complete conjecture aka bs

HatterDon

good points, Mr. Angus.

However, we do have the benefit of history to go on. The numbers reflecting financial losses to cities hosting the games in recent years is in the public domain. That's a fact, and anyone on this board capable of doing some on-line reasearch can verify that fact.

Now, saying that London will suffer those same financial losses is definitely opinion. But, based on the last 40 years history, it's a fairly sound opinion. There is no-one in the world who can guarantee the state of London's/England's economy 5 or 10 years down the road, and I don't think anyone on here has been saying that they can.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jack Fulham

Quote from: King_Crud on July 31, 2012, 07:04:55 PM
I'm from Sydney and was there for the 2000 games, and all through the lead up and the games in London I've heard the same things as I heard 12 years ago. I think the biggest worry for London is what will happen to the facilities. In Sydney the stadium was modified and changed (albeit not amazingly popular these days) into something that is used regularly. There is still no plan as to what is meant to happen to the olympic stadium post games and I think that is a big concern.

its going to West Ham as well as still being used for Athletics after the games.

jarv

Jack,
West ham fans will love that :005: Binoculars supplied with every seat! At least the transport in and out will be a lot better than the cess pit around Upton park.

King_Crud

I thought the West Ham thing still wasn't confirmed?

Bassey the warrior

I knew it would end this way. The fact is the government don't have a clue how economics works. The whole thing was never about boosting the economy, it was always an ego trip. To show the world that Britain still matters.

timmyg

Don, several of the Olympics you mentioned have actually made a profit.

LA brought in $335 million in revenue, mainly because the city refused to spend any money on building useless infrastructure at the whims of the IOC. Atlanta made $10M

The biggest problem that cities face is cost overrides (see: Athens, Montreal). Cities that manage those better stand to save more money.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Terry Angus

Quote from: timmyg on August 01, 2012, 04:52:47 PM
Don, several of the Olympics you mentioned have actually made a profit.

LA brought in $335 million in revenue, mainly because the city refused to spend any money on building useless infrastructure at the whims of the IOC. Atlanta made $10M

The biggest problem that cities face is cost overrides (see: Athens, Montreal). Cities that manage those better stand to save more money.

if people are reducing the calculation of the 'profit' from the olympics to the costs of arranging them less ticket sales and similar revenue then.... 'nuff said. i

n the longer term, bigger picture, the olympics will make a massive profit.

***FACT!!!!***

ron

I'm not surprised at anything that is done by my own country after the good and the great in Whitehall decided that spending a billion pounds on a tent to celebrate the millenium was a good idea.

As for a lasting legacy, who would bet against headlines in five years time like "Olympic village reduced to a slum by squatters and problem tenants...Urgent funding required to regenerate area".

Still, if a few people got knighthoods out of it, I guess that's fine.

GloucesterWhite

Why does everything have to be measured by profit? Tens of thousands are turning out to watch and having a great time. I went to the opening cermony which was fantastic - being there was so much better than watching on TV, and I've got tickets for some of the athletics.

American Olympics financial expert? Probably Mitt Romney  :005:

mr-ska

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 03, 2012, 08:34:15 AM
Why does everything have to be measured by profit? Tens of thousands are turning out to watch and having a great time. I went to the opening cermony which was fantastic - being there was so much better than watching on TV, and I've got tickets for some of the athletics.

American Olympics financial expert? Probably Mitt Romney  :005:
Good Post..  its brilliant...  im loving every second of it.

TonyGilroy

Why does everything have to be measured by profit?

Are you some sort of pinko communist.

God will strike you dead and I will be enraptured.

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 03, 2012, 09:01:58 AM
Why does everything have to be measured by profit?

Are you some sort of pinko communist.

God will strike you dead and I will be enraptured.

:011: Not yet please. I want to see the new stand, the Whites win the cup, the league, and John Terry behind bars.