https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (08/04010)

Started by WhiteJC, April 08, 2010, 07:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/DuffPreWolfsburg.aspx
Bring It On

Fulham play arguably their most important match of the season on Thursday night when they challenge Wolfsburg for a place in the final four of the Europa League and Damien Duff is relishing the opportunity to make this a season to remember.

"Obviously after last weekend's win we're more or less safe on 41 points in the League and tomorrow night is the biggest game of the season," Duff expained on Wednesday night. "We're all looking forward to it and can't wait to get started.

"I think every week we seem to be saying that this is our biggest game. A few weeks ago it was Spurs in the FA Cup and on Sunday, if you listened to the Team talk, it was the same again.

"We're going into the game on Thursday with the usual mindset – to win it. We believe we can score tomorrow night.

"To get to a European Cup Final would be massive for a club the size of Fulham. That's what we're all working hard for so bring it on. It's been an amazing journey and I'm enjoying it."

Duff has been in sparkling form this season following his summer move from Newcastle and the Republic of Ireland international is clearly loving every minute at the Cottage.

"I think it's well documented that my three years at Newcastle didn't work out and it was a massive move for me to come to Fulham and get my career going again.

"I knew the gaffer from my Blackburn days and obviously coming to play at such a good Club and Team was going to excite me. This whole season, especially working with the Manager, has sparked me so to speak and I've loved every minute of it.

"It's been really enjoyable and exactly what I needed after the three years I had. It's been a great season so far but we need to keep getting positive results. We've had some fabulous night at home and away this season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/DuffPreWolfsburg.aspx#ixzz0kUTpnR7r

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/04/07/i-want-to-stay-at-fulham-vows-roma-youngster-stefano-okaka-64767-26186284/
I want to stay at Fulham, vows Roma youngster Stefano Okaka
LOAN-star Stefano Okaka has vowed to secure an extension to his stay at Fulham.

The Roma striker has had limited opportunities to shine for the Whites since arriving from Serie A on a short-term deal in January, but came off the bench to score in the 2-1 victory against Wigan on Sunday.

He said: "At this stage I don't know if there's a possibility of extending my stay here, but I feel really good here and it certainly wouldn't be a problem for me to stay.

"In fact, I'd like it very much, but we'll just have to see how it goes.

"It's really up to the manager in terms of team selection, but my ambition will just be to do my best between now and the end of the season and hopefully get more opportunities to show what I can do."

Okaka is determined to impress the Craven Cottage faithful and make a name for himself in English football.

"For me, it was a great opportunity to come here at 20 years of age and have the chance to open my mind to a different country and experience a different level of football," he added.

"It wasn't a case of limited opportunities at Roma; I've already played for quite a while. This is just something that came up and I was interested in.

"It's very different from Italy. There, it's more tactical and here it's more physical and of course I like that side of it. But I like both styles."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8606928.stm
Wolfsburg    v    Fulham (agg 1 - 2)
Fulham striker Clint Dempsey will not be fit for their Europa League quarter-final second leg tie at Wolfsburg after picking up a thigh injury on Sunday.

Fellow striker David Elm is missing through illness, while Bobby Zamora faces a fitness test on his Achilles.

If Zamora misses out, Erik Nevland will partner Zoltan Gera up front for the Cottagers, who lead the tie 2-1.

Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg have captain Josue and key defender Alexander Madlung both fit.

The pair were struggling with hamstring injuries, but manager Lorenz Gunther Kostner expects both to be fit for the Volkswagen-Arena contest.

The Germans will line up with Bosnian Edin Dzeko and Brazilian Grafite leading their attack as they seek to overturn the deficit from last week's first leg at Craven Cottage.

"We can't go hell for leather on Thursday," said Kostner. "Fulham are a compact dangerous team who are strong in defence and have big guys up front so that provides us with a dangerous situation.

"We have a good chance now but what we need to do is to be determined. We have to have the will, be determined to give an absolutely excellent performance.

"We need everyone in this club, including the fans, to give a performance for 90 minutes, maybe longer and that's the way we'll get through to the semi finals."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Konchesky, Baird, Riise, Hughes, Smalling, Etuhu, Duff, Murphy, Gera, Davies, Zamora, Zuberbuhler, Greening, Kelly, Hangeland, Stoor, Nevland.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/04/08/fulham-s-stars-are-playing-through-pain-admits-brede-hangeland-64767-26197351/
Fulham's stars are playing through pain, admits Brede Hangeland
BREDE Hangeland says Fulham's heroes will play through the pain barrier to keep their European hopes alive in Wolfsburg tonight.

Easter Sunday's Premier League victory over Wigan was the 53rd game of a gruelling season for the Cottagers and the schedule has taken its toll with top striker Bobby Zamora aggravating an achilles tendon injury.

However, Zamora is expected to be back for the trip to Germany that is finely poised at 2-1 to Roy Hodgson's men after the first leg, and Hangeland, who has shrugged off a chest problem to lead Fulham's glory bid, said: "We are carrying a few knocks and injuries at the moment and it is about just trying to do your best in a match.

"We get a lot of treatment and recovery in between so that has been the name of the game in the past few months and it will be until the end of the season.

"I have had a little bit of pain, but when you go out on the pitch the adrenaline takes over."

Hangeland is confident of continuing Fulham's glory run and edging into the semi-final tonight.

"It will be a tough game of course, but we are winning and they have to beat us to go through," he added. "I am not sure that they will be too confident that they can go through and if we play well then it will take a lot for them to beat us."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-defender-hangeland-zamora-fitness-crucial-wolfsburg-755061
Fulham defender Hangeland: Zamora fitness crucial for Wolfsburg
Brede Hangeland admits the fitness of Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is key going into tonight's Europa League second-leg clash at Wolfsburg.

Fulham are in Germany tonight defending a 2-1 lead.

Zamora was unavailable for selection last weekend after an aggravation to his Achilles tendon; however Hangeland is hoping Fulham's leading scorer will be in line for a return.

He told fulhamfc.com: "He's [Zamora] a key player and we don't look the same when he's not playing. Hopefully he'll be back and 100% fit for Thursday to give their defence a few problems."

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-glory-can-soothe-duffs-paris-pain-2129293.html
Euro glory can soothe Duff's Paris pain
THE anger will rise again for Damien Duff when he brings himself to watch this summer's World Cup finals, but the injustice the Irishman suffered at the hand of Thierry Henry would be tempered somewhat by winning the Europa League this season.

Never before, perhaps, has capturing this second-tier trophy been equated with being denied a place on the sport's biggest stage, but Duff went even further saying it would mean more than simply making up for the disappointment.

"That and more," he said. "I suppose in a way it is a distant memory, that November night in Paris (the play-off defeat to France). Getting to a European final would be massive. No one thought we would have a chance of getting to the final when we set off on this journey."

The 31-year-old midfielder said Fulham's impressive run in the competition, which takes them to the second leg of a quarter-final tonight away to German champions Wolfsburg, had already helped him "get over" what happened with Ireland.

"It will open new wounds when I'm watching it (the World Cup) on the TV but it's been a fantastic journey, there have been some great games in the group stages and in the knockout stages we have had some fantastic fixtures."

Talking of a final, when in the last eight, and with a slender 2-1 lead, may sound presumptuous, but Duff's enthusiasm for the game, which had all but died during three miserable years at Newcastle, has been refired by his move to Craven Cottage last summer.

"It's well documented that my three years in Newcastle didn't work out," he said. "It was a massive move for me to Fulham. I knew the gaffer (manager Roy Hodgson) from my Blackburn days and this whole season has sparked me again. I'm really enjoying it." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Fulham (probable, 4-4-1-1) -- Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora.

Wolfsburg (probable, 4-1-2-1-2) -- Benaglio; Pekarik, Madlung, Barzagli, Schafer; Josue; Riether, Gentner; Misimovic; Dzeko, Grafite.

Wolfsburg v Fulham

Live, Setanta Ire/ITV 4, 8.05

- jason burt

Irish Independent

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7564753/Wolfsburg-v-Fulham-Damien-Duff-handed-chance-to-heal-Thierry-Henry-wounds.html
Wolfsburg v Fulham: Damien Duff handed chance to heal Thierry Henry wounds
The anger will rise again for Damien Duff, when he brings himself to watch this summer's World Cup finals, but the injustice the Irishman suffered at the hand of Thierry Henry would be tempered somewhat by winning the Europa League this season.

Never before, perhaps, has capturing this second-tier trophy been equated with being denied a place on the sport's biggest stage but Duff went even further saying it would mean more than simply making up for the disappointment.

"That and more," he said. "I suppose in a way it is a distant memory, that November night in Paris [the play-off defeat to France]. Getting to a European final would be massive, especially for a club like Fulham. No one thought we would have a chance of getting to the final when we set off on this journey. Bring it on."

The 31-year-old midfielder said Fulham's impressive run in the competition, which takes them to the second leg of a quarter-final tonight here away to German champions Wolfsburg, had already helped him "get over" what happened with the Republic of Ireland. "It will open new wounds when I'm watching it [the World Cup] on the TV but it's been a fantastic journey, there have been some great games in the group stages and in the knockout stages we have had some fantastic fixtures."

Talking of a final, when in the last eight, and with a slender 2-1 lead, may sound presumptuous but Duff's enthusiasm for the game, which had all but died during three miserable years at Newcastle United, has been refired by his move to Craven Cottage last summer.

"It's well documented that my three years in Newcastle didn't work out, for whatever reason," he said. "It was a massive move for me to Fulham, to get my career going again. I knew the gaffer [manager Roy Hodgson] from my Blackburn days and this whole season has sparked me again, so to speak, I'm really enjoying it."

Hodgson has to take credit. It is no fluke that he has revitalised Duff's career, cleverly compensating for a loss of pace by moving the left-footed player to the right, so he can cut inside. The same renaissance has taken place to Simon Davies, Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora, who is a significant injury doubt, with a sore Achilles, but will be given up until kick-off to recover. Hodgson is already denied Clint Dempsey, out for several weeks after suffering a muscle problem in last weekend's win over Wigan Athletic.

"We have played quite a lot of games without him [Zamora] this season so I don't have any fears that we can't win a game without him," Hodgson said.

Nevertheless it was a relief that the powerful striker trained without impediment.

Hodgson was bullish about his side's prospects despite conceding a late goal last week. "It doesn't change anything," Hodgson said. "If you lose the game away from home, whatever the result of the first leg, then you are unlikely to go through."

He has set his players the task of scoring the away goal that will cancel out the one claimed by Wolfsburg.

It has been a long, testing — and impressive — season for Fulham and their 62-year-old manager. How is he coping? "Rather than feel tired or lacking energy these games do the opposite and fire you up and remind you why you want to be involved at this level," Hodgson said.

If Fulham avoid defeat, a semi-final against either Standard Liege or, more probably, Hamburg awaits.

Fulham (probable, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora.
Wolfsburg (probable, 4-1-2-1-2): Benaglio; Pekarik, Madlung, Barzagli, Schafer; Josue; Riether, Gentner; Misimovic; Dzeko, Grafite.
Referee: V Kassai (Hungary)

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/08/bobby-zamora-fulham-wolfsburg
Bobby Zamora in race to be fit to lead Fulham's depleted strike force
• Achilles problem could deny striker chance to face Wolfsburg
• Clint Dempsey stays at home after picking up weekend injury

Bobby Zamora's achilles problem is a concern to Fulham ahead of the Europa League tie at Wolfsburg. Photograph: Joe Giddens/Empics

Bobby Zamora's chances of spearheading Fulham's quest to overcome Wolfsburg tonight and make the Europa League semi-finals are in the balance because of an achilles problem.

The 29-year-old Zamora is enjoying the best season of his career, with 18 goals catching the eye of the England coach Fabio Capello. Seven of Zamora's strikes have come in Fulham's remarkable run to the quarter-finals, including the first goal of the 2-1 victory in the first leg at Craven Cottage.

Zamora trained with Roy Hodgson's squad and the Fulham manager remains optimistic he will play. "We'll see what happens in the session and how he reacts," Hodgson said. "We'll make a decision tomorrow. We've always hoped Bobby would be fit for this game and I'm very hopeful that will be the case."

Fulham's attacking options are already depleted by the absence of Clint Dempsey, who was unable to travel after picking up an injury in last Sunday's 2-1 victory over Wigan. Hodgson said: "In the last minute he was fouled in the penalty area. He'll be out for a period of time – certainly against Wolfsburg, Sunday against Liverpool and possibly longer. He had a scan yesterday, which showed it was a muscular injury [to his leg]."

Hodgson has been able to include Stephen Kelly, who may resume his regular place at right-back, with Simon Davies possibly moving back into midfield for Dempsey.

This will be Fulham's 54th game of a campaign that started in July when Vetra Vilnius were defeated 3-0 in Lithuania. Yet despite the gruelling schedule for Hodgson and his players, the 62-year-old said his team's success has invigorated him.

"I've got to say that rather than feel tired or lacking energy I think these games do just the opposite," Hodgson said. "They fire you up even more and they remind you why you still want to be involved at the very top level. It's the ones we've had in the Europa League, the one we'll have tomorrow night and the one at Anfield on Sunday [against Liverpool].

"As a coach they are the highlights. There was a time I thought it used to keep me young but that was when I had a magic mirror. The mirror's gone and it's taken its toll but that's life, I'll have to battle on."

Damien Duff said success in the competition would ease the pain of his and the Republic of Ireland's elimination by France from the World Cup following Thierry Henry's handball.

Duff said: "In a way it's a distant memory that night in Paris [last November]. We've played so many games since, they seem to be getting bigger and bigger. To get to a final and win would be just unbelievable. When we started out in the summer nobody would have thought it. So yes, bring it on."

Wolfsburg (4-1-3-2 probable) Benaglio; (4-1-3-2 probable) Pekarik, Barzagli, Madlung, Schäfer; Josué; Gentner, Riether, Misimovic; Dzeko, Grafite. Subs from Lenz, Simunek, Martins, Hasebe, Johnson, Dejagah, Rever.

Fulham (4-4-1-1 probable) Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora or Nevland. Subs from Zuberbühler, Baird, Riise, Nevland, Smalling, Kelly, Greening.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/04/08/SOCCER_Fulham_Duff.html&TEAMHD=soccer
DUFF HAILS HODGSON INFLUENCE

Fulham winger Damien Duff has thanked Roy Hodgson for providing him with the spark that he believes has re-ignited his career.

Duff will line up against Wolfsburg tonight as Fulham look to take their fairytale season one step further by claiming a place in the last four of the Europa League.

Duff's arrival at Craven Cottage last year brought to an end an unhappy three-year at Newcastle that was ravaged by injury and inconsistency.

His hard work and tenacity made him an instant hit with the Fulham faithful, and he has provided four goals and many assists for the Londoners so far this term.

The winger admits his rejuvenation is mainly down to 62-year-old Hodgson, who also managed Duff during his first years as a professional at Blackburn.

"It was well documented that my three years at Newcastle didn't work out so it was a massive move for me to come to Fulham to get my career going again," said Duff, who won two titles at Fulham's west London rivals Chelsea before joining Newcastle.

"I knew the gaffer from my Blackburn days so it was always going to be exciting.

"Working with him has sparked me again - I've loved every minute of it and it's been really enjoyable. It's just what I needed after my three years at Newcastle. It's been a great season."

Duff and Bobby Zamora gave Fulham a 2-0 lead in the first leg at Craven Cottage but Alexander Madlung's last-minute header gave the Bundesliga champions what could turn out to be a vital away goal.

Hodgson is without Clint Dempsey and David Elm for tonight's clash at the Volkswagen Arena but Zamora is expected to overcome an Achilles injury to start alongside Zoltan Gera up front.

The Fulham players have complained of fatigue during a long season which has encompassed 53 games and began with a Europa League qualifier against Lithuanian minnows Vetra in July.

Hodgson admits such a long season has taken its toll on his side but he is adamant that both he and his players will be up for the game.

"These sort of games fire you up even more and they remind you why you still want to be involved at the very top level," said Hodgson, who took Inter Milan to the UEFA Cup final in 1997.

"We've had some great games in the Europa League."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6779
Up next: Wolfsburg (a)
by Dan on April 8, 2010

Nobody could complain if Fulham's European adventure came to an end in Wolfsburg tonight. Since starting way back in the sunny days of June, the Whites have gone further and further in Europe's second-biggest competition and seen the Europa League even usurp the league in Roy Hodgson's list of priorities: some achievement when you consider he was originally using the tournament to give some of our fringe players a bit of much practice. Nobody believed we'd get out of a tricky group, especially after a traumatic defeat in Rome, much less beat the holders and one of the favourites in the knockout stages.

The tantalising thing about this tie is had we had not afforded Alexander Madlung a free header from a short corner in the dying embers of the first leg at Craven Cottage last week, even some of notoriously pessimistic fans might be dreaming of a semi-final meeting with Hamburg or Standard Liege. The more and more you think about the ramifications of that away goal, though, the more it makes you wonder whether it may work in Fulham's favour. At 2-0, a continental coach like Hodgson, well-drilled in the Italian defensive philosophy, might well have been tempted to shut up shop. Now, by being a bit more daring, Fulham will have more of a chance to cancel that Wolfsburg away goal.

The German champions are having something of a disastrous domestic season, having dispensed with Felix Magath's replacement at the turn of the year. They sit halfway up the Bundesliga, a legacy of a pitiful home record and some particularly generous defending. As we saw in the second half of the first game, there's no doubt that Fulham can trouble a defence that didn't look terribly Germanic. Both Bobby Zamora and Zoltan Gera will be licking their lips in anticipation of adding to their impressive European goal tallies.

As in the first leg, Fulham will have to watch the dangerous Dzeko and Grafite, who never really flourished at the Cottage, and perhaps Obafemi Martins, too, who perked the visitors up when he came on as a late substitute. Wolfsburg will probably be a different proposition at home, roared on by their own fans, although they had plenty of the game in the first period of the first leg. It will be important for Fulham to keep the ball better than they did in that first 45 minutes and get some of the flowing passing that eventually unlocked the German defence going. Discipline will also be vital and Hodgson will want to draw on the considerable European experience of Schwarzer, Hughes, Murphy and Duff to calm any nerves.

Hodgson's selection shouldn't be too surprising. He's been a consistent coach since taking over at the Cottage and the same 4-4-1-1 system, originally designed for when he had a lack of forwards at his disposal, should be employed tomorrow night. Indeed, Fulham's major concerns are about the availability of players rather than any late tactical switch.

Stephen Kelly's injury is likely to keep him out of this game and John Pantsil's return for the reserves yesterday has probably come too soon for this contest. That means Simon Davies, who did very well as a makeshift right back a week ago, will probably fill in there again tonight. That will allow Hodgson to fit Davies, Duff, Dempsey and Gera into the same side – something he has struggled to do since the Irish international arrived at Fulham just after the start of the season – and at once that should sprinkle some more creativity throughout the team.

Dickson Etuhu will probably keep out Chris Baird and partner Danny Murphy in central midfield but the Nigerian will need to be back to his imposing best. It will have to be more a case of Juventus revisited for Etuhu, who has the ability to scrap with the very best of them. If he might be persuaded to unleash a few more thunderbolts from distance rather than being so passive in possession, Fulham may yet find another vital away goal. The most likely source of a goal remains Zamora, who so superbly opening the scoring in the first leg, and Hodgson remains confident that the England hopeful will be fit to play despite an Achilles injury that ruled him out of Sunday's win over Wigan.

This team have surprised us many times this season. Tonight, in Volkswagen country, it would be lovely turn up if the Whites manage to motor into the last four. Here's hoping.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Davies, Konchesky, Hughes, Hangeland; Baird, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey; Gera; Zamora. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Smalling, Riise, Etuhu, Greening, Nevland, Elm.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7564593/Wolfsburg-v-Fulham-match-preview.html
Wolfsburg v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Europa League quarter-final second leg between Wolfsburg and Fulham at Volkswagen Arena on Thursday April 8, kick-off 20.05BST.

Tactical duel:
Wolfsburg are growing in confidence after a poor start to a season they began as Bundesliga champions. However they deserve huge credit for ending the first leg of this tie with four strikers as they desperately, and successfully, sought an away goal. It showed bravery and it worked. Fulham will have to beware and also need to bypass holding midfielder Josue if they are to score again.

Key clash:
The Germans biggest threat is in attack where Grafite and, in particular, Edin Dzeko score freely. This season they have not been quite so effect, though Dzeko is still scoring, but Brede Hangeland will have to marshall his defensive team-mates more confidently than in the first-leg, when he struggled, to deny them. The Bosnian striker Dzeko also has the added incentive of trying to impress to earn a summer move, possibly to the Premier League.

Touchline duel:
Lorenz-Gunther Kostner took over as caretaker coach in January and will remain in charge to the end of the season. The 58-year-old German is little-known — although Wolfsburg is the 12 club he has coached in 28 years after a playing career that peaked at Borussia Moenchengladbach — but has steadied the ship, notwithstanding a horrific 5-1 defeat to Hertha Berlin, and restored confidence. The already high stock of Fulham manager Roy Hodgson, in Europe and England, has grown with this campaign. Like his opponent, Hodgson can also be tactically bold.

Probable teams:
Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora.
Wolfsburg (4-1-2-1-2): Benaglio; Pekarik, Madlung, Barzagli, Schafer; Josue; Riether, Gentner; Misimovic; Dzeko, Grafite.
Referee: Victor Kassai (Hungary).

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/swiss-whiz-kerim-frei-delighted-fulham-move-755051
Swiss whiz Kerim Frei delighted with Fulham move
Exciting Swiss prospect Kerim Frei is delighted with his move to Fulham.

The former Grasshoppers Zurich midfielder joined Fulham's academy in January.

"There were a few options for me," Frei told fulhamfc.com. "But I have no doubt that I made the right decision choosing Fulham because this is a very good club, and from the moment that I came in I knew it was the place for me.

"I saw a bright future here, and I would love to progress and do all I can for the Club. I left my home, which is a big step, especially when you move to a foreign country.

"It was important to feel comfortable in my new surroundings and I did. When I first trained with the U18s I felt that my style suited the way they played football and that is was a good match. Hopefully I can show what I can do."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/129902/Damien-Duff-using-Fulham-s-Europa-League-success-to-get-over-World-Cup-misery/
DAMIEN DUFF USING FULHAM'S EUROPA LEAGUE SUCCESS TO GET OVER WORLD CUP MISERY
DAMIEN Duff is using Fulham's Europa League success to wipe away his World Cup misery.

The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland ­international was denied probably his last chance of playing on the world's biggest stage by Thierry Henry's ­infamous handball in Paris in November.

But Fulham's progress in Europe, with a last four slot in their sights when they line up for their quarter-final second leg at Wolfsburg tonight, has helped Duff ­forget his frustration.

"It will probably open old wounds in the summer when I'm watching on TV," said Duff of the World Cup finals.

"But it's been an amazing journey and everyone's enjoying it.

"In a way, that night in Paris is now a distant memory. We've played so many games this season.
"And as a result I haven't really had time to think about the disappointment of not getting there.

"The games just seem to be getting bigger and ­bigger, but to get to a final would be just unbelievable.

"When we started out in the summer nobody would have thought it [would be possible], so bring it on."

Fulham conceded a late goal in their 2-1 first leg ­victory last week.

But despite that setback at Craven Cottage, Duff feels his side will not ­be ­underdogs against the reigning Bundesliga champions.

"I don't know about that," he said. "It puts a slightly different look on things with away goals obviously ­massive in two-game ties.

"For all that, it was disappointing to concede in the last minute though we ­believe we can score and cancel out that goal."

Fulham's leading goal-scorer, Bobby Zamora, is set to start after missing Sunday's game against Wigan.

But Clint Dempsey will miss out after suffering a thigh injury in the same game.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson said: "In any cup ­competition you want to go all the way if you can. And there are enough players in our team with experience – internationals who have played top-level UEFA football with their clubs before coming to ­Fulham.

"I don't need to persuade them that a quarter-final is only a quarter-final. We need to get to the ­final and they know that themselves."

Duff added: "I think every week we seem to be saying that this is our biggest game of the season so far.

"Spurs away in the FA Cup and Sunday against Wigan ... if you listened to the gaffer's team talk, it was the same again.

"But after getting ourselves more or less safe with 41 points, this is the biggest game of the season and we're all looking forward to getting started."

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/duff-savours-fulhams-amazing-run-1938552.html
Duff savours Fulham's 'amazing' run
Damien Duff is hoping to bury his memories of World Cup heartbreak by guiding Fulham to Europa League glory. Duff's hopes of making his second appearance at a World Cup finals were ended in November after Thierry Henry's now infamous handball helped France to seal a 2-1 aggregate win over the Republic of Ireland.

The Londoners' winger lashed out at officials for failing to notice Henry's foul afterwards, but he admits his bad memories have been put to the back of his mind, partly due to Fulham's European success this year.

Roy Hodgson's side have gone on an incredible run in the Europa League this season, accounting for the likes of Shakhtar Donetsk and Juventus to make the quarter-finals, where they hold a 2-1 lead going into tonight's second leg away to Wolfsburg.

The Irishman has been a crucial part of Fulham's success this season, scoring nine in all competitions having signed from Newcastle in August.

Fulham will set up a semi-final against Hamburg or Standard Liège should they progress and Duff admits he is desperate for the Cottagers to end the season by lifting the trophy. "Will winning the Europa League make up for losing out on the World Cup? Yes, that and more," the 31-year-old said. "It has been an amazing journey, and in a way that night in Paris is a distant memory now.

"We've played so many games since then and they seem to be getting bigger and bigger. To get to a final and win would be unbelievable. When we started out nobody would have thought we'd get this far, so bring it on."

A thigh injury to Clint Dempsey has left manager Roy Hodgson short of attacking options for tonight's match at the Volkswagen Arena. Bobby Zamora is struggling with an Achilles injury while David Elm has not travelled with the squad after going to hospital to have checks on the recurrence of a virus he picked up in Turin last month.

Zamora trained last night but if he misses out Hodgson will have to pair midfielder Zoltan Gera with veteran striker Erik Nevland up front tonight. The manager, who is without Andy Johnson for the season, is confident his side will be able to perform, even if Zamora does not play. "We've played quite a lot of games without Bobby so I don't think I had any fears. We needed to prove we could win without him," said the 62-year-old.

"We've been stretched up front all season. We lost Andy Johnson in the first week in January, so that limited us. Dempsey took a knock against Wigan and he could be out for some time. That means resources are even more stretched than they have been but Gera has partnered Bobby up front and together they've done a very good job for the team."

Wolfsburg (probable, 4-4-2): Benaglio; Pekarik, Madlung, Barzagli, Schäfer; Riesther, Josue, Gentner, Misimovic; Dzeko, Grafite.

Fulham (probable, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff; Gera; Zamora.

Referee: V Kassai (Hungary).

TV: ITV4, kick-off 8.05pm.

WhiteJC

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Arsenal-monitor-Fulhams-Hangeland-as-Wenger-reviews-defence/6973/
Arsenal monitor Fulham's Hangeland as Wenger reviews defence
According to a report in this morning's Daily Telegraph, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger may look to overhaul the Gunners' defence with Fulham's Brede Hangeland a possible target.

Arsenal's fragility at centre-back was highlighted during the Champions League defeat against Barcelona.  William Gallas hobbled off injured in the first leg with Wenger reluctant to play Sol Campbell as a direct replacement.  Having opted to use Mikael Silvestre in the second leg, the Frenchman looked uncomfortable at the mercy of Barcelona's attack.

Gallas and Campbell are both out of contract at the end of the season and Silvestre is 32 years-old, leaving Thomas Vermaelen as the only centre-back with his long-term Arsenal future secure.

The Daily Telegraph speculates that Wenger will look to bring in new defensive talent over the summer.  The Arsenal boss was beaten to the signing of Chris Smalling by Manchester United in January. 

However, the Daily Telegraph says that Wenger has been monitoring Smalling's Fulham team-mate Brede Hangeland . The 28 year-old Norwegian international has been a rock for Roy Hodgson's side this season, playing an important role which has taken Fulham to the brink of the Europa League semi-finals.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6081397,00.html
Duff thanks Hodgson
Cottagers ace praises manager for re-igniting career.

The former Blackburn and Chelsea ace's career suffered during his three years in the North East with Newcastle United.

After winning three trophies in three seasons with Chelsea he suffered relegation with Newcastle in the 2008-09 campaign before joining Fulham.

Duff knew Hodgson from his Rovers days and was looking forward to working with the ex-Switzerland and Inter Milan boss again.

The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland ace has been back to his best and believes it has been a great season for the West Londoners, who are still in Europa League contention.

Massive
"It was well documented that my three years at Newcastle didn't work out so it was a massive move for me to come to Fulham to get my career going again," explained Duff.

"I knew the gaffer from my Blackburn days so it was always going to be exciting.

"Working with him has sparked me again - I've loved every minute of it and it's been really enjoyable.

"It's just what I needed after my three years at Newcastle. It's been a great season."

Fulham tackle Wolfsburg in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final in Germany following a 2-1 first-leg success at Craven Cottage.

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-fitness-hope-1048670.html
Cottagers fitness hope
Fulham say they are hopeful Bobby Zamora will be fit to face Wolfsburg on Thursday night, but Clint Dempsey will miss out.

Dempsey has not travelled with the Cottagers squad having suffered a muscular leg injury in the last minute of Sunday's win over Wigan, with the US international also ruled out of this weekend's clash with Liverpool.

Zamora sat out Sunday's Premier League victory due to an Achilles problem and has been in a race against time to be fit to face the Bundesliga champions.

The former Tottenham and West Ham man did train though on Wednesday and Roy Hodgson will give him as long as possible to prove his fitness.

Hodgson said: "We'll see how he reacts to the session. We've always hoped Bobby would be fit for this game and I'm very hopeful that will be the case."

Stephen Kelly is also being tipped for a recall and could resume his regular place at right-back, with Simon Davies expected to move back into midfield for the absent Dempsey.

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/zamora-injury-update-1048670.html
Zamora injury update
Fulham, 11:04, April 8, 2010

Fulham say they are hopeful Bobby Zamora will be fit to face Wolfsburg on Thursday night, but Clint Dempsey will miss out.

Dempsey has not travelled with the Cottagers squad having suffered a muscular leg injury in the last minute of Sunday's win over Wigan, with the US international also ruled out of this weekend's clash with Liverpool.

Zamora sat out Sunday's Premier League victory due to an Achilles problem and has been in a race against time to be fit to face the Bundesliga champions.

The former Tottenham and West Ham man did train though on Wednesday and Roy Hodgson will give him as long as possible to prove his fitness.

Hodgson said: "We'll see how he reacts to the session. We've always hoped Bobby would be fit for this game and I'm very hopeful that will be the case."

Stephen Kelly is also being tipped for a recall and could resume his regular place at right-back, with Simon Davies expected to move back into midfield for the absent Dempsey.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-set-to-swoop-for-norwegian-international-
Arsenal set to swoop for Norwegian international
Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has attracted interest from Arsenal

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has been outlined as a potential summer target for Arsenal, according to the Daily Telegraph.

It is thought that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is planning a summer clear out at the back in an attempt to strengthen his defence for next season.

The Gunners defensive frailties were exposed on Tuesday night when Lionel Messi ripped apart the Arsenal back line, who were missing the influential figure of William Gallas.

Sol Campbell is likely to leave the Emirates at the end of the season when he contract expires whilst the future of William Gallas also remains uncertain who is yet to agree a new deal.

Wenger is keen to add another centre back to his talented team in the summer and has identified Brede Hangeland as a potential candidate after impressing in the Premier League.

However, Fulham manager Roy Hodgson will be reluctant to part with the 28-year-old with teammate Chris Smalling already heading to Old Trafford in the summer.

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/uefacup/manualstories/blogfulhamandwolfsburgtherespectablefaceoffootball/default.html
Blog: Fulham and Wolfsburg, the respectable face of football
ITV Sport's Ned Boulting blogs from Wolfsburg ahead of their Europa League quarter-final with Fulham

Watching Bayern Munich get the better of  Manchester United in a bar in Wolfsburg last night was a curious experience. At first there was only passing interest from the locals. After all, we are a long way from Bavaria here, and Bayern are just as disliked for their success by fans of other clubs in Germany as Manchester United are themselves.

Yet, the more that Bayern clawed their way into the game, the more the spectacle sucked in local support. In the end, it all got a bit partisan, and the final whistle was greeted with cheers and smiles, before the punters got back to the more pressing matter of talking about tonight's encounter with Fulham.

Bayern's victory though, to many in Germany feels like a long-overdue national reward for the fact that the Bundesliga appears to have got things thoroughly right in all sorts of ways, (except for the small matter of sticking the ball in the opponents net often enough.). The clubs now all benefit from the colossal overhaul of their grounds which has remodelled the landscape of their football into the finest there is. Full stop. From Schalke to Hertha, Hamburg to Frankfurt, not forgetting the cauldron of Dortmund, they have the biggest noisiest crowds in the most awe-inspiring surroundings. Gone are the days of the concrete bowl with the athletics track. These grounds are built with 'Purer Fussball' in mind.

And, what is even more remarkable, they have managed this transition, by and large without the need to sell up to US speculators or to go begging in the Emirates. The clubs are often debt-free, and yet somehow keep their prices down, so that everyone can go. Yes, everyone. Most tickets here cost just 15-22 Euros. And these, let's not forget are the reigning champions – a small club, rebuilt and rehoused and now top of the pile (albeit for one season only). When I lived over here in the early nineties, this club was a byword for the less-glamorous reaches of the lower leagues. Germany's equivalent of the patronising expression 'a wet Tuesday night in Grimsby'.

I rubbed my eyes in disbelief when they won the championship last season. It's the kind of metamorphosis that will never happen again in England.

Fulham are similar in some ways, at least in stature, although Craven Cottage's antique charm contrasts sharply with the steel and glass modernity of the VW Arena. Oh, and London is a place, not a factory town in the middle of nowhere. But, under Hodgson's astute stewardship, they spend within their means, and a growing a team who have taken the club further than they've ever gone before.

But, the Premier League glass ceiling is never far away. While Fulham know the realistic extent of their remarkable ambitions, Wolfsburg have dreamt the dream, and lived it too. It seems that's still possible here.

Just a shame that one of these two fine clubs has to go out tonight. For different reasons they represent the acceptable face of 21st Century football.

Watch Wolfsburg v Fulham live on ITV4 & ITV.com tonight at 7.30pm