watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (08/04010)

Started by WhiteJC, April 08, 2010, 07:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.epltalk.com/fulham-and-liverpool-fans-beware-of-bobby-gould/17589?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29
Fulham and Liverpool Fans: Beware of Bobby Gould

Previously, I've written about how English soccer matches sound better on radio than television, as well as how the FA Cup third round is made for radio not TV. Richard Whittall from the A More Splendid Life blog agreed. However, I was wrong.

What I should have said is that BBC radio commentaries are often better than watching matches on television. Notice I didn't include TalkSport. That's because they're bloody rubbish.

For example, while listening to the Benfica against Liverpool match last Thursday, co-commentator Bobby Gould (former manager of Wimbledon and Wales) was abysmal.

The whole point of a radio commentator is that s/he should paint a picture of what is happening on the field so you can imagine in your mind what a goal or near miss looked like. But Gould continually pissed me off last Thursday because he would gasp and cry out as the ball would sail near the net, but we listeners on radio had no idea what was happening because he didn't explain it to us — at least not until seconds later, by which time the game had already moved on.

The way Gould was commentating was as if the radio listener was watching a TV broadcast of the game at the same time and we could see what was happening and then hear Gould's oohs and aahs and it would all make sense. But of course, while listening to the radio, we can't see any pictures and we need to rely on the commentator to help guide us through the match.

Listening to the commentaries on BBC Radio Five Live, they really are at the top of their game. The list of quality commentators is long. Mike Ingham, Mark Pougatch, Graham Taylor, Jimmy Armfield, Darren Fletcher and many others. They really are a joy to listen to and do a spectacular job of bringing the game to life.

On Thursday, for the quarter-finals of the Europa League featuring Wolfsburg versus Fulham and Liverpool against Benfica will be shown on US television via DirecTV and GolTV respectively. But if you are able to find a stream of BBC Radio 5 Live commentary, I highly recommend you listen to it. Or, as a last resort, you can try TalkSport. Just keep your fingers crossed that Bobby Gould will be far away from the mic.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3260913,00.html
Wolfsburg v Fulham preview
Cottagers look to retain the advantage in Germany

Fulham look to retain the advantage in Germany when they play the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final tie with Wolfsburg.

Roy Hodgson's side travel to the Volkswagen Arena having beaten their opponents 2-1 in the reverse fixture.

They will be missing key players on Thursday which will make their task of qualifying for the last four somewhat harder.

Fulham's main concern will be their win-rate away from home which is a far cry from their record at Craven Cottage.

They have not won in their last eight games on the road in all competitions and can boast just two wins in seven European matches away from home this term.

That being said, they have only lost one of their last seven Europa League fixtures, home and away.

Their German opponents will fancy their chances on home soil though, especially with an away goal to their credit.

The Bundesliga champions need only a 1-0 win to qualify for the last four, which they will see as a more than doable task on current form.

After a slow start, Wolfsburg appear to be back on track in the top flight of German football having won six of their last seven league games.

Team news
Fulham's top scorer Bobby Zamora will face a late fitness test but is expected to overcome an Achilles injury to start alongside Zoltan Gera.

Hodgson will be forced into at least one change, though, with Clint Dempsey out of contention with a thigh injury.

Striker David Elm (virus) will also miss out for the Cottagers who have managed just three goals in their last six away games.

Stephen Kelly has recovered from a recent injury and will join the squad in Germany but Stefano Okaka is cup-tied.

Wolfsburg skipper Josue and key defender Alexander Madlung should be fit for Thursday's clash after overcoming hamstring injuries.

Star striker Edin Dzeko will likely start and will be hoping to add to his impressive goal tally for the German champions this season.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2010/04/08/1869108/wolfsburg-are-well-prepared-for-fulham-clash-lorenz-guenther
Wolfsburg Are Well Prepared For Fulham Clash - Lorenz-Guenther Koestner
The Wolfsburg gaffer is confident his men will be ready for Fulham...
Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg lost the first leg of their Europa League tie with English side Fulham 2-1, but head coach Lorenz-Guenther Koestner is confident his side will be ready to turn things around in Thursday's second leg.

"We are well prepared for Fulham. In the first leg we saw some weaknesses in their team which we did not exploit. This time we want to do better," said the Wolfsburg gaffer to uefa.com.

"That last minute goal brought us back into the tie. Now we must show real desire to achieve something exceptional. We are all willing to give everything until the very end, whether that is 90 minutes, 120 or until after the penalty shoot-out.

"We had Zamora well under control in the first leg up until their two goals, so we have to do better this time around. We will not take risks from the start, though. We have to be sensible."

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/167993/Damien-Duff-s-too-busy-to-feel-the-pain
DAMIEN DUFF'S TOO BUSY TO FEEL THE PAIN
DAMIEN DUFF has had more reason than most to ponder the relationship between pain and gain this season, having endured an arduous campaign for both club and country.

But last night he insisted that the unremitting demands of progression to the Europa League's latter stages has helped him get over the pain of elimination from the World Cup.

Ireland international Damien Duff, 31, saw quite possibly his last chance of featuring in the summer spectacular ripped from his grasp by the unseen hand of Thierry Henry against France that fateful evening last November.

However, ahead of their quarter-final second leg against Wolfsburg here in Germany, winger Duff testified to the restorative qualities of a competition that has become the focus of Fulham's season.

"It will probably open old wounds in the summer when I am watching on TV, " said Duff before training at the Volkswagen Arena last night.

"But this has been an amazing journey and everyone's enjoying it.

"In a way, that night in Paris is now a distant memory as we have played so many games this season.

And as a result I haven't really had much time to think about the disappointment of not getting there.

"The games just seem to be getting bigger and bigger but to get to a final would be just unbelievable.

"When Fulham started out in the summer none of our fans would have thought this would be possible. So bring it on."

Fulham take a 2-1 advantage into tonight's match against Germany's champions. And while it could have been so much better had they not conceded a late goal, Duff raised his eyebrows when the word 'underdog' was put to him last night.

"I don't know about that, " he said. "It puts a slightly different look on things with away goals obviously massive in two-game ties. For all that it was disappointing to concede in the last minute, though we believe we can score and cancel out that goal."

To that end, both Duff and his Craven Cottage boss Roy Hodgson will have been delighted to see top scorer Bobby Zamora joining in a training session in the stadium last night, having missed the Wigan game on Sunday with a "slight knock to his Achilles".

Hodgson insisted they were hopeful Zamora would be fit.

However another attacking arrow has been removed from the quiver after Clint Dempsey did not travel after suffering a thigh injury in Sunday's victory. Also, striker David Elm continues to battle the after effects of a viral infection that put him in hospital at the weekend.

Hodgson will juggle his squad but knows that the absence of Dempsey will probably lead to the experiment of playing Simon Davies at right-back being abandoned, with the Wales international on the left wing and Stephen Kelly in at right-back.

For all that the attendance is set to be hit by the fact the match coincides with a shift change at the Volkswagen factory that dominates this club and their city - thereby ruling 10,000 out of taking up their seats - Wolfsburg will be confident hosts.

The bitterness of an unlucky defeat at Craven Cottage last Thursday will have been soothed somewhat by a convincing 4-0 win over Hoffenheim on Sunday.

"In any cup competition you want to go all the way if you can, " said Hodgson.

"And there are enough players in our team with real experience, internationals who have played top level UEFA football with their clubs before coming to Fulham. So I don't need to persuade them that a quarter-final is only a quarter-final.

We need to get to the final and they know that themselves."

Duff needs no further motivation.

He said: "Every week we seem to be saying that this is our biggest game of the season so far. Spurs away in the FA Cup; Sunday against Wigan, if you listened to the gaffer's team talk.

"But after getting ourselves more or less safe with 41 points in the Premier League, this is now the biggest match of the season.

And we are all looking forward to getting started."

FULHAM (probable): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Etuhu, Murphy, Davies; Gera, Zamora

WOLFSBURG (probable): Benaglio; Pekarik, Madlung, Barzagli, Schafer; Josue; Riether, Misimovic, Gentner; Dzeko, Grafite Referee: V Kassai (Hungary).

Kick-off: 8.05pm. TV: ITV4, 7.30.

WhiteJC

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/duff_one_of_the_slackers_we_were_pleased_to_see_go_514503/index.shtml
Duff One Of The 'Slackers' We Were Pleased To See Go?
By Nu Mad Thursday, 8th April 2010

Fulham winger Damien Duff says Roy Hodgson for providing him with the spark that he didn't have at Newcastle.

Duff will go down in the record books as being the player who scored the goal that relegated Newcastle United.

That own-goal at Villa Park on the last day of the season cost the club millions ... but he says it couldn't have worked out better for him ... because he "didn't have that spark at Newcastle".

Those are not OUR words ... those are HIS words.

Damien Duff: "It was well documented that my three years at Newcastle didn't work out so it was a massive move for me to come to Fulham to get my career going again.

"I knew the gaffer from my Blackburn days so it was always going to be exciting.

"Working with him has sparked me again - I've loved every minute of it and it's been really enjoyable.

"It's just what I needed after my three years at Newcastle. It's been a great season."

He has made 37 starts for Fulham this season and scored 10 goals.

During his three years at Newcastle United he played 86 games and scored 6 goals (not including that one AGAINST us at Villa Park).

At Chelsea he made 95 starts and scored 19 goals.

You don't need me to work out the maths for you. He obviously didn't give Newcastle what he gave everyone else ... and I'm sure he would admit to it.

Three weeks into his stay at Newcastle there were rumours he wanted a return to London ... and finally ... he got it.

Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll have often spoken about the players "who couldn't give a poo" when they played for us, and I think you can put Duff second to Michael Owen on the list.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=194602
Fulham - Arsenal Come Knocking Again
Amidst all the talk of our Europa League clash with Wolfsburg tonight, a rather glum yet rather repetitive piece of news has arisen from the grapevine.

It would seem Brede Hangeland has done himself no harm in sticking by the Thames for another season, in the respect that the campaign he's had so far, has again attracted a keen Frenchman's eye. A keen Frenchman by the name of Arsene Wenger.

We've all heard the news before and it has got to a stage where I almost turned a blind eye to it upon glancing at the story, however, one must feel that the offer may be quite appealing to the International captain.

It's been proposed that Arsenal are planning a slight revamp with regards to their back line over the course of the Summer and Hangeland has already been touted as a perfect fill in for their new look defence.

Arsenal certainly did no harm in proving their defensive frailties with one Lionel Messi completely ripping them apart late Tuesday evening.

I hope though, with the departure of Chris Smalling to deal with, Hodgson will be more than reluctant to allow the huge Norwegian to clamber onto pastures new. Also, I must pleasingly add, when it comes to loyalty, Hangeland is no Jimmy Bullard.

I hope this article leaves you feeling a sense of Deja Vu. It has me.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=194602#ixzz0kVoDvAkj

WhiteJC

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/news/duff-europa-league-success-will-erase-world-cup-h-19709646.html
Duff: Europa League success will erase World Cup heartache
Fulham winger Damien Duff has said winning the Europa League this season will go some way to erasing the heartache of failing to qualify for this year's World Cup with the Republic of Ireland.

Duff and his Irish team-mates were denied to the chance to play in South Africa this summer after losing their qualifying playoff against France thanks to Thierry Henry's now infamous handball.

Speaking ahead of Fulham's second leg against Wolfsburg tonight, Duff said: "Will winning the Europa League make up for losing out on the World Cup? Yes, that and more.

"It has been an amazing journey, and in a way that night in Paris is a distant memory now.

"We've played so many games since then and they seem to be getting bigger and bigger. To get to a final and win would be just unbelievable.

"When we started out in the summer nobody would ever have thought we'd get this far so bring it on."

Fulham lead their quarter-final against Wolfsburg 2-1 after goals from Bobby Zamora and Duff in the first leg.

bobby01

You are working hard today Mr WhiteJC thanks for your efforts.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/HoesenJoinsHJKHelsinki.aspx
Hoesen Joins HJK Helsinki
Thursday 8th April 2010

Fulham Football Club can confirm that Dutch striker Danny Hoesen will join Finnish champions HJK Helsinki on loan from 9th April until 30th August.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/HoesenJoinsHJKHelsinki.aspx#ixzz0kVpl5yCY

WhiteJC

Quote from: bobby01 on April 08, 2010, 01:46:07 PM

the problem is that I'm not working, can't concentrate, and as I'm self-employed its an issue :023:
...still there's always tomorrow

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/AstonVillaReserveMatchChange.aspx
Reserve Match Change
Thursday 8th April 2010

Fulham's Barclays Premier Reserve League match against Aston Villa on Monday 12th April will now kick-off at 3pm at Villa's Bodymoor Heath Training Ground.

The match will be played behind closed doors.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/AstonVillaReserveMatchChange.aspx#ixzz0kVqlNEqT

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 08, 2010, 01:52:02 PM
Quote from: bobby01 on April 08, 2010, 01:46:07 PM

the problem is that I'm not working, can't concentrate, and as I'm self-employed its an issue :023:
...still there's always tomorrow

i'm self employed to, no problems with the recession last year but it's hurting this year, but as you say theres always tomorrow.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7564593/Wolfsburg-v-Fulham-match-preview.html
Wolfsburg v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Europa League quarter-final second leg between Wolfsburg and Fulham at Volkswagen Arena on Thursday April 8, kick-off 20.05 BST.

Tactical duel:
Wolfsburg are growing in confidence after a poor start to a season they began as Bundesliga champions. However they deserve huge credit for ending the first leg of this tie with four strikers as they desperately, and successfully, sought an away goal. It showed bravery and it worked. Fulham will have to beware and also need to bypass holding midfielder Josue if they are to score again.

What they're saying:

Lorenz Gunther Kostner, Wolfsburg coach: "Alexander Madlung's goal gives us a good chance now but what we need to do is to be determined. We have to have the will, be determined to give an absolutely excellent performance. We need everyone in this club, including the fans, to give a performance for 90 minutes, maybe longer and that's the way we'll get through to the semi-finals."

Roy Hodgson, Fulham coach: "These sort of games fire you up even more and they remind you why you still want to be involved at the very top level. We've had some great games in the Europa League, we'll have another one tomorrow night and another one (against Liverpool in the Premier League) at Anfield on Sunday."

Key clash:
The Germans biggest threat is in attack where Grafite and, in particular, Edin Dzeko score freely. This season they have not been quite so effect, though Dzeko is still scoring, but Brede Hangeland will have to marshall his defensive team-mates more confidently than in the first-leg, when he struggled, to deny them. The Bosnian striker Dzeko also has the added incentive of trying to impress to earn a summer move, possibly to the Premier League.

Touchline duel:
Lorenz-Gunther Kostner took over as caretaker coach in January and will remain in charge to the end of the season. The 58-year-old German is little-known — although Wolfsburg is the 12 club he has coached in 28 years after a playing career that peaked at Borussia Moenchengladbach — but has steadied the ship, notwithstanding a horrific 5-1 defeat to Hertha Berlin, and restored confidence. The already high stock of Fulham manager Roy Hodgson, in Europe and England, has grown with this campaign. Like his opponent, Hodgson can also be tactically bold.

Probable teams:
Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora.
Wolfsburg (4-1-2-1-2): Benaglio; Pekarik, Madlung, Barzagli, Schafer; Josue; Riether, Gentner; Misimovic; Dzeko, Grafite.
Referee: Victor Kassai (Hungary).

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000040/match=2000959/prematch/background/index.html
Wolves ready to pounce on Fulham
Published: Friday 2 April 2010
Alexander Madlung's late strike in London could prove to be priceless for VfL Wolfsburg as they head into the home leg of their quarter-final against Fulham FC with a 2-1 deficit to overturn.

Alexander Madlung's 89th-minute strike in London could prove to be priceless for VfL Wolfsburg as they head into the home leg of their UEFA Europa League quarter-final against Fulham FC with a 2-1 deficit to overturn.

• The Cottagers looked set for another famous European victory after goals from Bobby Zamora (59) and Damien Duff (63) handed them a 2-0 lead, but Madlung's header in the closing moments has swung the tie back in the German champions' direction.

Previous meetings
• Before the first leg, the two sides had never met. In Fulham's only previous encounter with German opposition, they lost 2-1 away and drew 0-0 at home against Hertha BSC Berlin in the third round of the 2002/03 UEFA Cup. Wolfsburg defender Madlung was an unused substitute in the first leg.

• Wolfsburg have now played four games against English sides, beating Portsmouth FC 3-2 in last season's UEFA Cup group stage before losing 2-1 away and 3-1 at home against Manchester United FC in the UEFA Champions League group stage earlier this term.

Match background
• Neither side have reached the quarter-finals of a major UEFA club competition before.

• Fulham's first-leg win means that they are unbeaten in 15 UEFA club home games since making their continental debut in the 2002 UEFA Intertoto Cup.

• Wolfsburg have won both of their home games since transferring from the UEFA Champions League. They have lost only once at home in Europe this season, 3-1 to Fulham's English rivals Manchester United.

• Fulham's seven away games since they kicked off the season in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round have ended W2 D2 L3.

Team facts
• Fulham have been marginally more dangerous in the first halves of their games, with ten goals coming before the interval and eight after. Five of their 18 successful efforts from the group stage onwards have come between the 31st and 45th minutes.

• Grafite is Wolfsburg's top scorer in Europe this season with six goals – three in the UEFA Champions League and three in the UEFA Europa League. However, Džeko is just behind him on five goals (four in the UEFA Champions League and one in the UEFA Europa League).

• Zoltán Gera and Zamora are Fulham's joint European top scorers since the start of the group stage with five goals apiece.

• Fulham manager Roy Hodgson coached in five European games against German opposition with Halmstads BK, FC Internazionale Milano and most recently Viking FK, with his record reading W2 D0 L3. He has now won all three of his home games against Bundesliga sides, but lost all three of his games in Germany.

• As coach of Inter, Hodgson suffered the pain of losing the 1996/97 UEFA Cup final on penalties against German opponents FC Schalke 04.

• Born in Australia to German parents, Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer can draw on some experience of German football having represented 1. FC Dynamo Dresden (1994/95) and 1. FC Kaiserslautern (1995/96) before moving to England, initially with Bradford City FC.

• Wolfsburg and Fulham are the least experienced teams in the quarter-finals, going into the second leg as veterans of 49 and 29 UEFA club competition games respectively.

• Four of the sides in the last eight competed in the UEFA Europa League group stage: SL Benfica, Fulham, Hamburger SV and Valencia. The other four transferred from the UEFA Champions League group stage: Club Atlético de Madrid, Liverpool FC, R. Standard de Liège and Wolfsburg.

• By a quirk of the draw, all four quarter-final ties feature one side from the UEFA Champions League group stage and one from the UEFA Europa League.

• The winners face the victors in the contest between Hamburg and Standard in the semi-finals on 22 and 29 April, playing the second leg at home. The side that comes through those games will be the nominal away team in the final in Hamburg on 12 May.

Penalties
• Fulham and Wolfsburg have never been involved in a European penalty shoot-out.

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 08, 2010, 07:49:52 AM
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/uefacup/previews/fulham-v-wolfsburg-750746638.html
Fulham v Wolfsburg
Hodgson wary of Wolfsburg

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has no intention of taking Wolfsburg lightly as he attempts to guide his side into yet more unchartered territory.

Fulham's Europa League adventure has already seen them account for UEFA Cup holders Shakhtar Donetsk and Italian giants Juventus.

Wolfsburg may not be as quite as big a name as the Serie A giants but they are the Bundesliga champions and began the season in the Champions League - exiting the tournament after Manchester United beat them 3-1 thanks to Michael Owen's hat-trick.

Hodgson has dismissed suggestions they are any less of a threat to his side's chances of a historic place in the semi-finals.

"I wouldn't say that," he said. "Wolfsburg were in the Champions League, they won the German league last year ahead of Bayern Munich. And Bayern Munich have just beaten Manchester United - so we have no chance.

"What I've learned about Wolfsburg I have only learned since we were drawn against them. But I know they are a good team, they score a lot of goals, they have good attacking players and they are hard-working and well-organised.

"We know the task is a tough one but for me every one of the seven teams we could have played is a good team and a team capable of beating us."

Fulham have lost their last three matches since that epic night at Craven Cottage when Juve were hammered 4-1.

But Hodgson rested five key players in last weekend's defeat at Hull as he prioritised Thursday's first leg at Craven Cottage.

"I don't think our performances have been worthy of criticism but there is no doubt that, all the time we were in the cup competitions, they would be somewhat more of a priority than the league because in the league we are relatively safe," he said.

"We have put the cup matches in the shop window.

"We feel a sense of achievement and pride that we have overcome so many obstacles to get this far.

"But we are also conscious of the fact that the teams we are playing are more than capable of beating us so it's going to require another fantastic effort if we are going to continue this adventure."

Wolfsburg manager Lorenz-Gunther Kostner told this side they will need to produce something "exceptional" to win following Fulham's giant-killing run so far.

Kostner said: "We need to come up with some extraordinary performances tomorrow.

"Roy Hodgson is such an experienced manager who had huge success with teams abroad.

"Here at Fulham he has built up a team that not only plays very good football but is also really tight and when they are at their best they are capable of beating any opponent."

Despite Fulham's recent stuttering form since their win over Juve, Kostner is wary they are unbeaten at home in Europe and this tournament is now their priority.

Kostner said: "The Juventus game was not a one-off. They have played Roma (drawing 1-1 at Craven Cottage) and other big teams," he said.

"When you look at Fulham as a club you have to respect them."

Talk about last week's news ...
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/uefacup/manualstories/watchwolfsburgvfulhamliveonitvcomtonight2362/default.html
Watch Wolfsburg v Fulham live on ITV.com tonight
Fulham's Europa League adventure continues in Germany this evening and you will be able to see every kick of their quarter-final second-leg tie against Wolfsburg live on ITV.com.

The Cottagers hold a 2-1 advantage following last week's first clash in West London, but Alexander Madlung's late away goal for the Bundesliga champions makes them slight favourites to go through to the last four.

For Fulham to stop them, Roy Hodgson's men will need to find a way to stop the German side's impressive strikeforce of Edin Dzeko and Grafite.

Can they do it? Find out right here from 7.30pm where you will also be able to have your say in our live online chat.

And at the end of the game, you will also be able to see highlights of Liverpool's quarter-final clash with Benfica at Anfield.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/wolfsburg-v-fulham-big-match-preview
Wolfsburg v Fulham: Big Match preview
Europa glory would erase World Cup woe, says Damien Duff
Team News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fulham striker Clint Dempsey will not be fit for their Europa League tie at Wolfsburg after picking up a thigh injury on Sunday. Fellow striker David Elm is missing through illness, while Bobby Zamora faces a fitness test on his Achilles.

If Zamora misses out, Erik Nevland will partner Zoltan Gera up front for the Cottagers, who lead the tie 2-1. Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg have captain Josue and key defender Alexander Madlung both fit.

Europa glory would erase World Cup woe, says Damien Duff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having already beaten Shakhtar Donetsk, last season's winners, and favourites Juventus on their memorable run to the last eight, Fulham face arguably the toughest test of the lot against German champions Wolfsburg tonight.

It's been a fantastic European journey for the Cottagers, who will face either Hamburg or Standard Liege in the semis, should they progress, and manager Roy Hodgson is confident his side will be able to advance, even if the inspirational Bobby Zamora is ruled out.

"We've played quite a lot of games without Bobby this season so I don't think I had any fears," said the 62-year-old, who led Inter Milan to the 1997 UEFA Cup final. "We've been stretched up front all season. We lost Andy Johnson in the first week in January, so that limited us.

"Dempsey took a knock against Wigan and he could be out for some time. That means resources are even more stretched than they have been but Gera has partnered Bobby up front and together they've done a very good job for the team."

Apart from Zamora, one of Fulham's many other star performers this season has been the rejuvenated Damien Duff who has rediscovered his best form under former Blackburn boss Hodgson.

"It was well documented that my three years at Newcastle didn't work out so it was a massive move for me to come to Fulham to get my career going again," said Duff, who won two titles at Fulham's west London rivals Chelsea before joining Newcastle. "I knew the gaffer from my Blackburn days so it was always going to be exciting.

"Working with him has sparked me again - I've loved every minute of it and it's been really enjoyable. It's just what I needed after my three years at Newcastle. It's been a great season."

When asked if winning the Europa League make up for losing out on the World Cup with the Republic of Ireland, Duff said: "Yes, that and more. It has been an amazing journey, and in a way that night in Paris is a distant memory now.

"We've played so many games since then and they seem to be getting bigger and bigger. To get to a final and win would be just unbelievable. When we started out in the summer nobody would ever have thought we'd get this far so bring it on."

WhiteJC

http://betting.stanjames.com/Football-Betting-News/2010-04-08/Wolfsburg-chief-eyes-Fulham-scalp
Wolfsburg chief eyes Fulham scalp
Wolfsburg boss says his side must be at their very best if they are to overturn a first-leg deficit and see off Fulham in Thursday's Europa League quarter-final (Wolfsburg 4/6, Fulham 4/1 to win the second leg with Stan James).

The Bundesliga outfit trail 2-1 from last week's first game between the two sides but have home advantage and know a 1-0 win would be enough as they look to dump Roy Hodgson's side out of the competition.

It was Alexander Madlung's late goal at Craven Cottage that significantly boosted Wolfsburg's chances of progression but Kostner insists they must produce their best against the Premier League side if they are to come out on top overall (Fulham 11/10 to qualify).

"We can't go hell for leather on Thursday," he said.

"Fulham are a compact dangerous team who are strong in defence and have big guys up front so that provides us with a dangerous situation.

"We have a good chance now but what we need to do is to be determined. We have to have the will, be determined to give an absolutely excellent performance."

He added: "We need everyone in this club, including the fans, to give a performance for 90 minutes, maybe longer and that's the way we'll get through to the semi finals."

WhiteJC

http://www.football.co.uk/fulham/wolfsburg_v_fulham_-_match_preview_rss684118.shtml
Wolfsburg v Fulham - Match preview
All  the team news as Roy Hodgson's Fulham travel to Germany seeking to protect a 2-1 first-leg lead against Wolfsburg in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora (Achilles) faces a late fitness test, but is expected to start up front alongside Zoltan Gera.

- Follow it LIVE from 8.05pm

Clint Dempsey (thigh) and Dave Elm (virus) are out for Fulham, but Stephen Kelly has been passed fit for the tie.

Wolfsburg are optimistic over the fitness of captain Josue and defender Alexander Madlung - who have both recovered from hamstring injuries.

In-demand striker Edin Dzeko is also set to start.