News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Breaking news: Dempsey wants to leave and spitting his dummy out (merged)

Started by Sector9, August 17, 2012, 01:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Ordar on August 18, 2012, 01:14:25 AM
What I can't stand through this saga today is how people seem to believe that Clint is immune from criticism. I can guarentee that if this situation involved Senderos or Kelly people would be going mental.

At the end of the day, Dempsey is a disgrace. The fact he had a decent season for us is totally irrelevant. Him leaving is by no means the end of the world, and if anything, will actually balance our side.

He's a very difficult player to accommodate as he's not a wide player, nor a striker. He needs a team built around him having a free role. Which is exactly why Riise was getting exposed 2 on 1 early on in the season. No side, especially not a CL side are going to provide him with that free role.

What he has done over the post season will forever tarnish his legacy at the club, much like a certain Mr Bullard. (and that worked out fantastically for him).

He said he wants CL football. Liverpool have never been further away from obtaining that, and certainly won't this season. Let's ship him out the sooner the better overseas to anyone, reinvest any money we get for him on a player that wants to play for the club, target Whittingham or Javis and move on.

Good post. I agree with your clear analysis of the problem of the balance of the team. I am looking forward to seeing Kacaniklic tomorrow.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: PaulUMD on August 18, 2012, 12:57:55 AM
Amazing how quickly people are trashing this guy.  60 damn goals in 4.5 years.  

Watch every one of them.  Clint Dempsey's 60 Fulham Goals 2007/2012 | QuickfireGoals Episode #18

He was leaving this year no matter what.  He gave every last bit of himself to this club, give him his due.  If your feelings are hurt, well, put on your big boy pants.  This is football, and unfortunately business is business.  Seems to me the big villain here is Liverpool and Fenway for convincing Clint they were going to sign him when they were not.  Now it's a shitty situation for all parties.  

Be mad at him if you wish, but don't diminish his accomplishments here.  

lol. Clint is trying to force a move without being bid for? He hasn't given every last bit of himself to this club, he is paid to do what he does! Football is business yes but it isn't good business for us when he is refusing to play whilst not even moving clubs. He should still be playing regardless of his transfer situation. Look at James Milner to City from Aston Villa. He played and scored for Villa in his last game despite everyone knowing he was going to sign for City. Clint should be giving 100% to us before he moves instead of sulking by himself on the training ground. I have nothing against players moving and I understand there is little loyalty in football these days but if you're going to leave, do it in the right manner and in a respectful way. This is no honourable exit.

FancyPantsil

and if anything, will actually balance our side.

He's a very difficult player to accommodate as he's not a wide player, nor a striker. He needs a team built around him having a free role. Which is exactly why Riise was getting exposed 2 on 1 early on in the season. No side, especially not a CL side are going to provide him with that free role.

If by balancing the team you mean that Fulham now have a great balance of various players who are mediocre goal scorers, then you have a point.

I can understand being upset with Clint, but that doesn't diminish what he's accomplished over the past few seasons.

He scored 23 goals last season, while playing much of his time from the midfield.  Difficult to accommodate?  I'd hate to see where Fulham would be over the last couple of seasons without him--probably playing in the Championship.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: FancyPantsil on August 18, 2012, 01:45:59 AM

If by balancing the team you mean that Fulham now have a great balance of various players who are mediocre goal scorers, then you have a point.

I can understand being upset with Clint, but that doesn't diminish what he's accomplished over the past few seasons.

He scored 23 goals last season, while playing much of his time from the midfield.  Difficult to accommodate?  I'd hate to see where Fulham would be over the last couple of seasons without him--probably playing in the Championship.

His goals last season were very important to us but before that they were more like the level you might hope for from an attacking midfielder and little more. It is his goals primarily that have kept him as a starter in the side.

He is difficult to accommodate because he is neither a natural wide player - how often does he go outside the full-back and make a cross? - nor is he is a natural striker. He has become a good finisher - a valuable skill and to be appreciated - but otherwise neither his midfield nor his attacking play are exceptional.

mccscratch

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 18, 2012, 02:08:57 AM
Quote from: FancyPantsil on August 18, 2012, 01:45:59 AM

He scored 23 goals last season, while playing much of his time from the midfield.  Difficult to accommodate?  I'd hate to see where Fulham would be over the last couple of seasons without him--probably playing in the Championship.

His goals last season were very important to us but before that they were more like the level you might hope for from an attacking midfielder and little more. It is his goals primarily that have kept him as a starter in the side.

He is difficult to accommodate because he is neither a natural wide player - how often does he go outside the full-back and make a cross? - nor is he is a natural striker. He has become a good finisher - a valuable skill and to be appreciated - but otherwise neither his midfield nor his attacking play are exceptional.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave... you are clearly an Offal reject wind up artist....

And you are 100% clueless to boot.....

All of this from all of you smells like the time you got lucky with the really hot girl in school that you pined over for years then when everyone found out that she was just drunk and thought you were someone else... you said... well she was not that hot anyway...

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

mccscratch

RidgeRider

Gents, please keep the debate civil. I understand that varied reactions to this latest news can cause folks to be dismayed and even angry but we are all Fulham fans so keep it respectful so I don't have to remove posts and send PM's.

Thanks!

RMira

It's just quite amazing to me how quickly this situation went to sh*te. IMO he's certainly damaged his reputation for good. He mentioned on Twitter that he recently spoke with Brian McBride and I must assume that Brian told him to respect Fulham whether he leaves or stays!

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 18, 2012, 04:55:07 AM
Gents, please keep the debate civil. I understand that varied reactions to this latest news can cause folks to be dismayed and even angry but we are all Fulham fans so keep it respectful so I don't have to remove posts and send PM's.

Thanks!

One of the fascinating aspects of this horrible day is the restraint -- nearly total absence -- of moderators trying to cut back on the vitriol. Those mods who did comment at the beginning, basically left the field. I appreciate Ms. Berserker for being the exception -- a positive and calming presence and always vastly interesting to read.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: RMira on August 18, 2012, 05:05:19 AM
It's just quite amazing to me how quickly this situation went to sh*te. IMO he's certainly damaged his reputation for good. He mentioned on Twitter that he recently spoke with Brian McBride and I must assume that Brian told him to respect Fulham whether he leaves or stays!

I doubt he needed to be told that.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

BarryP

Nothing like the smell of smoke after a match has been put to tender.

Quote from: NickW on August 17, 2012, 11:33:29 PM
Quote from: cebu on August 17, 2012, 10:36:00 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 17, 2012, 06:57:51 PM
Quote from: KCat on August 17, 2012, 06:42:11 PM
Jim ...................have you seen the Jol interview ??
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=23851.30

I have, Ms. Kat. Can you give me the minute and second where Jol says that Dempsey is on strike and that the club is fining him as a result? I watched it a couple of times and I must have missed it.

You too, eh? Only the interviewer saying it, with Jol's long-winded answer avoiding concurring! Management careers are full of mine fields like this!!!   092.gif

0.15 - MJ: "Clint told us that he wanted to leave and that he was not ready to play for this club anymore"

0.57 - SB: "So, to be clear, Clint has told the club that he does not want to play for the first team again?" MJ: "Yes"

1.36 - SB: "Clint refuses to play"

1.57 - MJ: "He doesn't want to play"

Seems pretty clear from these quotes that Dempsey is not just unwilling (ie. reluctant), but is actively refusing to play for the club. No comment from club or Dempsey about the reported fine though.

You can certainly arrive at that conclusion from this interview if you like but only if you really don't want to think about it real hard and I am not even defending Dempsey.  If he is refusing to play it is more likely than not that the facts will plainly come out that he is in breech of contract and I will throw a big shame on Clint into the enlarging pile of vitriol.  

However, in today's press conference Martin Jol went out of his way not to make an actual statement that Dempsey is refusing to play. Not a single press piece I have found has attributed a quote to Martin Jol stating that Dempsey is refusing to play and the only reason they are not quoting him is because he did not say it. It may or may not be proven to be a true statement but as of yet is only conjecture.

Just for the record the quote at 57 seconds above is incomplete.  It should actually read as follows:

0.15 - MJ: "Clint told us that he wanted to leave and that he was not ready to play for this club anymore"

Does this mean Clint said he wouldn't pull on the Fulham shirt again or does it mean he told management he wanted to be traded?

MJ referring to Clint: "He's not committed to the club."

SB: "So, to be clear, Clint has told the club that he does not want to play for the first team again?"

MJ: "Yes, he told me in Leipzig he said you know what I want to happen which was at that time to go to Liverpool."

Jol again clearly indicated Dempsey's desire to be traded and only that

SB: "So what happens, there is no offer Clint refuses to play how will this play out if no offer comes before the end of this season what will the situation be?"

This is a question by Sarah Brooks and not a statement on the clubs behalf which Martin Jol answers to include the response at 1.57

MJ: "You know it's been four weeks ago now and every week I thought maybe we can change the situation if there is no other club maybe change maybe Clint wants to change his mind and play for us because he is so important but no (1.57) he doesn't want to play and he told Alistair McIntosh as well and we are waiting hopefully for him to change his mind.  He probably won't so hopefully there will be an offer for him because our chairman is quite strong." (There is more to this quote I just chose to stop it here.  Listen to it for yourself of course.)

Again Jol stipulates that Dempsey does not want to play and I am guessing that by stating Dempsey told Alistair McIntosh he means that Dempsey has reiterated he wants a trade which ironically this whole board has been begging him to get on with for weeks now.  Since around oh Leipzig.

I can freely admit that Dempsey has been my Fulham favorite.  I do also realize he is fallible and like the rest of us open to criticism.  I also realize that when reading the board and listening to the Jol interview my opinion could be jaded in Dempsey's favor with my desire to hold out for the best possible news.  Just for the record, barring a minor miracle, the best possible news that I could see would be a quick resolution with Dempsey traded and it actually being true that all he did was request to be shipped off four weeks ago.  Since I acknowledge all of that I decided to look for the best source of information available to me and that is the Fulhamfc.com website. This is the direct quote from our club regarding Jol's comments on Dempsey today.  In my opinion this is the best source for a summary of what the club want us the fans to take from today's press conference.

QuoteOur Manager also fielded several questions from the press regarding Clint Dempsey, and Jol was frank in his assessment of the situation.

"Clint Dempsey wants to move," he stated. "He doesn't want to commit to this Club and, while I would like to keep him, it's impossible because he wants to move. He told me that he wants to go to a Champions League club - he said it last year, he said it in the summer, and he said it again.

"We'll have to wait and see what happens but it's a sad situation for us and it's almost embarrassing.

"We've got a Chairman who is strong and if we get the right price for Clint then we will sell him. If we don't, then he will stay here. We won't let Clint Dempsey go on the cheap, that's for sure."

The club here reinforce that Dempsey wants a move and while that is his state of mind the club do not deem him to be committed.  If Dempsey had truly burned all of his bridges, thrown his toys out of the pram and said he never wanted to play for Fulham again I can't see Jol saying I would like to keep him.  The more of this I read the more I wonder if a trade with Liverpool had not been agreed to in principle before the website announcement debacle which in turn caused MAF put his foot down and nixed the trade.

If you really still believe that Dempsey without a doubt is refusing to pull on the Fulham shirt based on the non-quoted press pieces here is a little reminder of our not so distant press clippings:

Mark Schwarzer: I will force Arsenal transfer from Fulham in January

For now I am going to treat this like the rest of the transfer gossip rag rumors and wait until I see it on the club website before I bite.  

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

tslyon

Disappointing.  While he was an important part of the club, he was not THE club.  We will survive, we will stay up, and we will be better than whatever club he ends up going to.  Not the finest hour for my favorite US player.  Have a seat Clint, maybe LA Galaxy will come a callin'

grandad

I´ve heard it all now. The Metro have quoted that West ham want to sign Dempsey & steal a march on Liverpool & Arsenal. If he´s going to lower his aspirations that low why doesnt he go the whole hog & sign for Blackburn.
Where there's a will there's a wife

BlaWhiArmyyyyyy

Dont really post on here just browse this forum alot...

Can understand Dempsey wanting out and can understand that he is a favourite and always will be for some fans....but i cant see how some can argue his side. Hes gone about this the wrong way, we have our own demands (his price tag) as much as he would have his demands contract wise, that he wouldnt accept if it was a penny lower than he wanted.

I keep hearing that the refusal to play cant be true. So Jol is a liar? Why would we lie? Theres no reason to. Jol is doing what Hughes did regarding Schwarzer and is protecting the club. Dempsey has disrespected the club and more importantly the fans! He should do as some said, what Milner done and play until his deal is completed. No doubt he has refused to play, why havent we seen him at all in pre season? Whys he not in the squad tomorrow?

Terry Angus

Quote from: BarryP on August 18, 2012, 06:05:10 AM

If you really still believe that Dempsey without a doubt is refusing to pull on the Fulham shirt based on the non-quoted press pieces here is a little reminder of our not so distant press clippings:

For now I am going to treat this like the rest of the transfer gossip rag rumors and wait until I see it on the club website before I bite.  

big differences between Dempsey and Schwarzer:

1. Schwarzer was/is clearly capable of playing regularly for a much bigger/better club than us, who were in the CL at the time, and there was firm interest from that club; Dempsey isn't good enough to play regularly for any domestic CL team and, probably for that reason, no=none has actually made an offer for him

2. Schwarzer didn't do anything to bring about that situation other than the obvious--playing good football. Dempsey has been whinging on about 'wanting to play CL football blah blah blah moan moan' for a good year now

3. Schwarzer's commitment to the club was never compromised. he carried on playing, and playing well. Maybe Dempsey hasn't unequivocally refused to play, but clearly, he's at least lost his concentration and willing to play.

plus all of this is on the club website already. martin jol made a video statement yesterday. you should check it out

BarryP

Quote from: Terry Angus on August 18, 2012, 11:01:40 AM

1. Schwarzer was/is clearly capable of playing regularly for a much bigger/better club than us, who were in the CL at the time, and there was firm interest from that club; Dempsey isn't good enough to play regularly for any domestic CL team and, probably for that reason, no=none has actually made an offer for him

2. Schwarzer didn't do anything to bring about that situation other than the obvious--playing good football. Dempsey has been whinging on about 'wanting to play CL football blah blah blah moan moan' for a good year now

3. Schwarzer's commitment to the club was never compromised. he carried on playing, and playing well. Maybe Dempsey hasn't unequivocally refused to play, but clearly, he's at least lost his concentration and willing to play.

plus all of this is on the club website already. martin jol made a video statement yesterday. you should check it out

Based on the actual content of my post the bolded portion of your quote is unworthy of space on this board.  Last I checked posters are allowed to post views that don't follow the main stream without the expectation of being insulted.

As a side note I used urbandictionary.com today for the first time because everyone should expand their vocabulary properly.  

Quote1.    wum -It is an acronym meaning Wind-Up Merchant.

It refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others.

He's a WUM, just ignore his posts. troll flamer wind-up merchant flame bait beerweed
by Nataku Nov 3, 2005 share this add a video
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

BarryP

This on the other hand, as opposed to what I found when making my previous post, is a reliable media outlet quoting an anonymous source.

Dempsey refuses to play for Fulham

However, an ESPN source has confirmed that Dempsey's desire to leave means he is refusing to play for the club again.

"The player is refusing to play for the club," the source revealed. "He has refused to play in the opening game tomorrow, and he is refusing to play because he wants to go.

"It is very embarrassing for the club but the club is working hard to find a solution, but it is a difficult one. Clint has been linked to Liverpool all summer but Fulham have not received an offer from Liverpool for him or indeed an offer for him from any club.

"What action, if any, the club is taking will remain private, but the priority is to find a solution, rather than confirm or deny the club plan to fine the player."

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1135852/clint-dempsey-refuses-to-play-for-fulham?cc=5901

BarryP

First, I apologize for not expanding my thought throughly enough regarding the Schwarzer article.  It was intended as an example of irresponsible journalism where the attention grabbing material used in the headline, i.e. the headline about Schwarzer forcing a move in January, is not actually quoted or attributed to a source in the article.

Second, you think Dempsey is not CL material and your entitled to it but I think your memory may be a bit hazey on the Schwarzer situation at the beginning of the 2010-2011 season.  There was pleanty of material attributed to Mark about wanting away from Fulham for a bigger and better opportunity and if you check the records you will find that Schwarzer didn't start a match for Fulham that season until after the window closed.  Here is one quote that sums up the situation and speculation from ESPN on August 14, 2010:

"The Australian was facing a late fitness test ahead of the match due to a back problem but his absence from the squad may also have been explained by the fact that he had recently handed in a transfer request with a view to joining the Gunners."

I do not know all the facts in the Schwarzer situation but there was a lot of speculation regarding his ability to take part in Australian national friendlies on August 8, 2010 and September 3, 2010.  All I know is that situation never got aired publically so I am guessing the nose dive that the situation has taken with Dempsey is because things have gotten ugly between Dempsey and the Club management so it is past time for him to go if that is the case.

Logicalman

Its an interesting view from reading about this saga towards the end of it, that only Liverpool have publicly made any statements of interest, though still not having made a firm offer, and that no other club have expressed more than a passing interest.

Clint might be taking bad advice in refusing to play, because that tells other prospective clubs, that should they buy him, then he could do the exact same thing to them at any time, and that is something no club, large or small, wants to feel about a player.

Clint must be aware now that he has pushed himself into a corner, and, unless there is a fairy godmother club out there with a last-minute bid, then his only hope is to get his head down, play like the clappers, and show other clubs he IS mature, and he IS worth the money, and terms, that appear to be wanted for and by him.

mccscratch

THIS IS SO FALSE FALSE FALSE.... man this pisses me off...

Schawarzer absolutely pulled out under the guise of being injured... Don't make crap up just because it suits you... we were all there at the time and the same vitrol was being spewed...

Mark worked his way back into our good graces but many still call for Stocky...

For the record, I am angry as hell at Clint, think it is totally unprofessional if true but stop trying to make him the only villain in football or even at Fulham for that matter.