Rumours that Fulham have made a £7 million bid for Rhodes

do we want him ???

do we need him ???

can he do it at prem level ????

:Belgique:
WE ARE FULHAM FFC
@ffcfulham

Walsh

I doubted him a few weeks ago, but I have watched some footage and I think he might be a good signing but for 7 Million is a risk.

EJL

HatterDon

get him in. We are as thin as tissue paper at the striker position.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nevzter

7 bones?  Seems a bit steep, but Fulham is thread bare at striker.  Don't need to pay through the nose though for a Championship striker...
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Peabody

I do wish people would take some time to watch players before they make judgement on their abilities. I have never seen him, except for the goal he scored for Scotland the other night, which was quite tidy. Just remember that some really good strikers have been picked up from the lower leagues, Southamptons Ricky Lambert springs to mind. Why am I up so late? because its too bloody hot to sleep.

theotherdembele

I reckon he would be a quality signing, its a gamble but one that could certainly pay off. Also sadly this is the price you now have to pay for quality players and the fact he's british probably doubles his value. If you compare him to rodriquez who southampton bought for 7million this summer, rhodes has scored far more goals in the last 3 seasons and is one year younger although in league one.

mccscratch

I think 7 is a little too steep... if you said 4-5 ok fine... decent enough young squad player who could cut his prem level teeth with us.

W just have a below average track record of signing strikers from lower divisions and not getting enough top line performance out of them... some goals here and there but never an been answer to the problem...

Kamara, Healy (though think we only paid 2 or 3 for him), Helguson, Kuqi etc...

Rhodes has a nice nose for goal and I appreciate a guy that does not have to do it all with pace in the lower levels but not sure how well his hold up play would be or if that is even the style we will incorporate going forward.

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

elgreenio

Rhodes isn't really a target man is he? Jol seemed to be hinting we'd be after more of a Zamora/Pog type striker in the post match interview

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Berserker

Maybe it will be Rhodes plus a target man. I'd go for him, 7m seems alot but it seems the price we have to pay
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

itombomb

7 mill is a lot, but when you consider that we could easily sell him back for a decent whack to the first football league club with new investment, it isn't that much of a risk.

alexbishop

It wouldn't be 7m cash. Imagine it would be 5m with add ons up to 7m depending on performance etc.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

FFC1987

Seen the guy at Ipswich when he started, hes got potential but hes far from a 7m finished article. Would love him at a cut price but a guy unproven in even the championship, I'd have to say I think Jol could get 1-2 gems in the Dutch market for that. I think Jol is wetting his lips with the prospect but the price will mean no deal.

MasterHaynes

At that price I would prefer Chamakh who can hit the ground running and has a point to prove

Whitewash

Quote from: elgreenio on August 20, 2012, 06:25:00 AM
Rhodes isn't really a target man is he? Jol seemed to be hinting we'd be after more of a Zamora/Pog type striker in the post match interview

Rhodes is not as much of a target man as Zamora, but he is as - if not more -capable than Pog of holding the ball up. He is quite a complete forward - can come short to protect the ball, can run in behind, can score with both feet and his head. He makes the diagonal near-post runs that nobody seems to make anymore. Great player and instinctive finisher.

FFC1987

Quote from: MasterHaynes on August 20, 2012, 09:08:46 AM
At that price I would prefer Chamakh who can hit the ground running and has a point to prove

You would be happy spending 7m on Chamakh? Oh god, please don't.

Whitewash

You would be happy spending 7m on Chamakh? Oh god, please don't.
[/quote]

+1. 7m is high for both, but chamakh is at his peak and is simply not worth 7m, whereas Rhodes has huge potential and could be worth double that in the future.

AlFayedsChequebook

I am extremely sceptical of buying players from lower leagues for big money. I cant think of many players from the lower leagues who were bought for £7m and flourished. The best lower league purchases are bought for less money (£1-3m). To put this in context - We nearly got Lucas Barrios for £8m!

He is no doubt talented, but we would be paying big money (for Fulham) for a player completely untested above League 1.

That said, I doubt we are offering that much, and if he does come, it will be heavily weighted on performance.

MJG

Been saying all summer get Rhodes. 5M plus extras would be my offer and if he fails we would get at least half back from a championship side, someone like west ham or QPR when they go down again.

FFC1987

I can see your point, pay like 7m and have potential sell back value if hes not quite up to it for like 3 giving you a net loss of say 4m. Flip side, he does well and pays for himself or blossoms to greater sell on value. Thats the economic view. Football view is if hes genuinely worth 7m and people see him this way, why haven't offers been floodng in? Everyone wants him at a cut price because hes unproven at championship level but shows potential. If I'm spending 7m I want a finished article or someone with a reputation in a tougher league.