more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Q & A Manchester United vs. Fulham

Started by The Hole, August 24, 2012, 10:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hole

Hello all again,

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Manchester United vs. Fulham. Last season you answered several questions for both fixtures between the two clubs. Here is a link to the preview for the match at Craven Cottage: http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011/12/21/match-preview-fulham-vs-manchester-united/

To the site owner and mods, can I ask several questions to forum members? A link to this forum will be included in the published article.

Cheers,
Andrew

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Hole

Cheers, LBNo11.

Here are questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit?

2. Season expectations?

3. Happy or disappointed with Fulham's summer transfer activity?

4. Dembele has been heavily linked with a move to United – what are your thoughts on him? If he was to leave Fulham would you be disappointed? What is a fair valuation? What does he offer in a deeper midfield role? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

5. Last time we spoke Frei, Briggs, Trotta and Della-Verde were youth prospects recommended to keep an eye on. What is the latest on them? How are they progressing since we last spoke?

Thank you.

Ordar

Welcome back to the board.

Saturday's game will obviously be difficult for us, especially away from home. However I'm feeling pretty positive about the season, and can see us taking a point.

The starting line up will most likely be

Schwarzer

Reither    Hughes    Hangeland   Riise

Diarra       Dembele

Duff                Ruiz               Kacaniklic

Petric

Depends who's fit for Utd, especially at the back. I hear Jonny Evans might be fit for the game. Kagawa started well against Everton, but I feel he lacks a partner in the centre. Diarra and Dembele dominate midfields so I imagine this will be a key area.

This season will be another season of building. Expecting a similar finish of about 9th, but hoping for a better effort in the cups.

Transfer activity has mainly been overshadowed by the Dempsey Saga. I think everyone just wants a resolution one way or another. We've let a few players go, Andy Johnson, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu being the most prominant, but nothing that wasnt unexpected. Pogrebneak went to Reading for 65k a week aswell. In came Sascha Reither who is a very solid (unsurprisingly) German rightback. We signed Diarra to an extension, who has been phenominal. Up front Petric and Rodallega have come in. Petric looks class, and had an exceptional game last week.

Dembele is a fantastic player to watch. Very skillful, and glides past players regularly. His only weakness comes in the final third. His end product is disappointing on the whole, which is why Jol moving him back into a CM role worked well. Defensively he is excellent. Ball retention and his under rated defensive work are his strengths.

Youth wise Frei, Kacaniklic and Mesca are the main ones coming through. All are tricky wingers. Kacaniklic  looks the most complete out of the 3, and played well and scored last weekend. Frei and Kacaniklic were both called up by their national sides last week. I would think he would start on Saturday. Briggs and Trotta could do with a season on loan.

Hope thats answered your questions sufficiently. Hopefully we'll give you a good game tomorrow! COYW!

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: The Hole on August 24, 2012, 10:45:30 AM
Cheers, LBNo11.

Here are questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit?

Probably the same line up that beat Norwich 5-0. A 4-2-3-1 with Ruiz behind Petric, Kacaniklic and Damien Duff on the flanks.

I think most people will say Manchester United's current defensive state. I also don't think Kagawa suits the Premier League (before you execute me) at Dortmund he was superb, but I don't think he can play central midfield or on the wing in this League. In my opinion, the best way to ploy his talent is behind the striker, but obviously Rooney sits there.

2. Season expectations?

Mid table finish, top 10 ideally and if we're looking to be ambitious, European football and perhaps a cup run. Mid table is the target for me though.

Happy considering we've brought in three good quality players without spending a penny. Would like to see a couple more faces in, but we've definitely improved on our squad from last season.

4. Dembele has been heavily linked with a move to United – what are your thoughts on him? If he was to leave Fulham would you be disappointed? What is a fair valuation? What does he offer in a deeper midfield role? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Moussa Dembele is Champions League quality and £15m is a STEAL, seriously. His ability on the ball is out of this world and he made the most tackles in a Fulham shirt last season and was second in the whole league. For a striker turned midfielder, his transformation really has been outstanding. Would fit into a Manchester United team but preferably, he stays here and signs a new contract.

5. Last time we spoke Frei, Briggs, Trotta and Della-Verde were youth prospects recommended to keep an eye on. What is the latest on them? How are they progressing since we last spoke?

Kerim Frei has improved but is missing the start of the season with an injury.

Matthew Briggs is struggling to break into the starting line up down to JA Riise's form, I expect him to go out on loan next season.

Trotta has signed a new contract and Lyle Della-Verde is yet to make a first team appearance.

Alex Kacaniklic should start tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me if he brought out the worst in Rafael, he's such a talent.

Thank you.

ScalleysDad

As above for the team selction. Despite the media coverage and the constant references to a poor Norwich side  we did actually play very well last week. The key wil lbe the opening 15 minutes. We either come out all guns blazing and take the game to United or get found out very early and then its backs to the wall. As has been said the current back four do not look like the red wall of previous seasons but we don't have a bulldozing centre forward so if we can thread passes through keyholes that will be the only way we will score.

It is tedious but a secure lower top ten will do. We are rebuilding the team and the stadium and we must give it time. A cup run helps morale of course.

I won't miss any of the players that have gone although I did think Murphy would stay on the staff. The players in are for the most part below the radar and are all an improvement on previous options so I'm happy with that and also keen to see how Jol brings in the younguns. He has redefined Dembele, who I think we might hang onto now Sir Alex has spent zillions, and to add to list from last year we have Dan Burn and others likely to get on the bench at some point. dembele can drive you to drink sometimes and he used to fall over himself far too often. Now though he is stronger, works his socks off and looks happy enough with Diarra and Ruiz around him. If The Jol Revolution is to gather pace he needs to stay.

I'll shall be at the game. In or near the Streford End so lets hope for a decent game and polite banter all round.

oh 1 - 2

The Hole

Thank you Ordar, Frankie-Peter Taylor and ScalleysDad.

Any more takers?

The Rock

Same team as last week. Your defence is weakened due to injury, I'd think he try to exploit that. We should win, but won't even nick a draw, like the last time we visited and lost due to the officials I think.

2. Season expectations?

11th. But, if our transfers on frees come good we'll be Top 5 or 6.

Happy.

15mm or 12mm with add ons. He's not going unless we find an even better replacement.

Same. Our academy is becomming the AV academy of 2002 - full of talent and happy about that.

cheers

horse1031

Here are questions:

You guys are a tough game no matter what the situation is but throw the Everton result and that you guys are home and it looks pretty daunting.  One thing that gives me hope is the midfield players we have in this years team.  Diarra and Dembele are class players and we have never had a midfield that is this strong and technical.  Last year when you beat us badly you beat us with quickness on the flanks.  I think we might do a bit better this year with Riise looking fitter and Riether a better right back than Kelly.  Martin will probably still to the same lineup and I think if Evans is not fit we might be able to give you guys some problems at the back.  Carrick is not a center back and Valencia is not a right back so those are your weaknesses that we could exploit.

2. Season expectations?
Anywhere from 6th to 14th in the standings.  6th would be dream world for Fulham.

Both.  I think we still have some work left to do and I would like another striker to come in.  We need a big center forward against the big physical teams so I hope we can do some end of the summer business.  Also, a central midfield player for backup would be nice.  I am happy with Petric.  Jury is still out on Rodallega for me.

Lets just say he is a good enough to play for you guys and be a star.

Frei very well.  Briggs not so much.  Trotta will be sent out on loan hopefully and Della Verde needs some time as well.  Thanks
Thank you.

[/quote]

Jack Fulham

4-2-3-1

Schwarzer

Riether Hughes Hangeland Riise

Diarra Dembele

Duff Ruiz Kacaniklic

Petric

I would say we would try and exploit Carrick but Petric isn't really a striker that dominates opposition centrebacks so it will hinge on Diarra and Dembele getting the better of Scholes and Cleverley.

2. Season expectations?

Top 10 finish, haven't really seen investment for anything better.

It's been okay, Petric, Rodallega and Riether are all excellent additions but I will be disappointed if we don't make any more. We just need to add a bit of depth in centre mid and upfront and our squad will be fine.

Dembele is an absolutely cracking player, he has proved to be an excellent tackler and dribbler making him an ideal box to box player. He easily beats his man and this is aided by his strength which is always helpful in tight situations. His passing has also improved and although it doesn't have great range, it is very tidy and he can be creative e.g backheel assist vs QPR away. His weaknesses are his shooting but I still think he has a good shot, its quite powerful, he just isn't very accurate. He's been a revelation at centre midfield and he just seems to be improving all the time because he is new to this position, only really started playing it last season but I think he will become one of the best centre midfielders in the league this season. 

Frei has been a bit unlucky and lost his place a bit too Kacaniklic who has thrived since making his professional debut on loan at Watford last season. Frei looked excellent in the big games but he can be found out a bit, needs to mix up his game a bit more.  Briggs hasn't really made any progress and won't unless Riise gets injured. Had a short loan at Peterborough last season but he's just gonna have to wait for chance. Trotta had a great loan at Wycombe last season with 8 in 8 but went to Watford and got a view bad reviews. Not entirely sure he will make it myself but it is early days. Could feature this season due our lack of depth upfront but if they bring someone in, he's 4th on the pecking order so yeah, I imagine he will score quite a few goals in the U21 league. I haven't followed Della Verde's progress so I can't really comment on him.

Lighthouse

Team from last week as mentioned above. We never do well after a good result.

2. Season expectations?

7 - 10th

If that is it very disappointed. We have a poor squad in depth especially up front.

Works hard, hard to knock off the ball and can beat players. But doesn't score many and sometimes misses the simple pass and doesn't hurt the opposition as he should in the right areas.

Frei and Briggs will make it at the top level sometime. Too early to say for the other two.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mike

Having just won 5-0 I can't see the team changing much. We are hoping Carrick will be in the back four and we will be able to target him.
2. Season expectations?
I think we are a team that needs to say 50 points is our minimum and once we have reached mark, push on to see if we can get a European spot.
Clint Dempsey situation has over shadowed the good signings that have come in. On the whole pleased as we have lost older players and got younger more talented players in. If Dembele goes it would change my opinion and turn it some what negative.
Dembele is a good player. We have a history of selling you quality players for a reasonable price for both teams; but I hope that won't be until we have found a decent replacement. I get most disappointed when big teams turn up last minute to buy our better players leaving us no time to replace them. Either buy them early or not at all. I see it as an abuse of power towards smaller clubs who need to work harder to find players they can afford. Back to Dembele he would add ball retention and tackling to your midfield.
We have a number of good young players coming through and this year is an important ones for those you've mentioned as more are coming through. We have high hopes for our own Kaca.

1879 a good year for football

MikeR

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit? For us, same starting XI & formation as last week. Heard that Evra may start as a CB; if that happens, we'll be looking for something from Hangeland et al. on set pieces.

2. Season expectations? 8th place, on 55 points. A trip to Wembley, but no cups. (That's actually a hope, not a bona fide expectation.)

3. Happy or disappointed with Fulham's summer transfer activity? Tentatively happy, but expecting several moves in the final week. Wish we could just do our business and be done with it like you lot.

4. Dembele has been heavily linked with a move to United – what are your thoughts on him? If he was to leave Fulham would you be disappointed? What is a fair valuation? What does he offer in a deeper midfield role? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Disappointed if he leaves, although if he goes to you we'll get a good valuation. Good tackler, ghosts around people seemingly at will, very weak in the air, poor final ball.

5. Last time we spoke Frei, Briggs, Trotta and Della-Verde were youth prospects recommended to keep an eye on. What is the latest on them? How are they progressing since we last spoke? Frei is competing for a first-team place, especially if Dempsey leaves. Briggs will only get a shot if Riise gets hurt - he needs a loan spell. Trotta the same, except that striker in Jol's system is high profile so he'll have a harder time making the first team regularly. Della-Verde seems to getting lapped.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

tommy

I think Jol will start exactly the same team that started against Norwich. There is no need to change it. Its strong enough defensively and with the front 3, we'll be decent on the counter. With United's injuries at centre half, I think you are going to struggle with Petric and Dembele so I think Jol will be telling those two to get stuck in.

2. Season expectations?

For Fulham, I think 7th - 9th. United I think will win the league.

I'm happy with the signings we've made and the players we've also managed to keep so far. I'd like another winger and a CM but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didnt sign any with the youngsters we have coming through.

He'd be a great signing for United and I'd be gutted if he left. You are going to see the best of Dembele this season if he stays. £15m is a fair price for a player of his potential and ability. I dont think he'd work as a holding midfielder if thats where United would play him. His strengths are with the ball at his feet, he can run with the ball like no one I've seen at Fulham ever and his vision is amazing. His finishing and defensive qualities could do with some work.

Frei and Briggs are very close to forcing there way in. Trotta and Della-verde aren't there yet and in all honesty, I dont think they will be this season. If either of them was to break through I'd say Trotta.

The Hole

Accurate assessment of Dembele. He was excellent yesterday and probably the best player on the pitch.

Good luck for the remainder of the season.