more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (26/08/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 26, 2012, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FIVE THINGS WE LEARNED – MANCHESTER UNITED VS FULHAM

After dropping points in the curtain raiser to the new season, Manchester United made their first appearance at Old Trafford this season, in the 3 o'clock kick off, playing host to Fulham on Saturday afternoon.
Thoughts were on whether Sir Alex Ferguson's side would get up and running in the league and how they might go about doing it. Prior to kick off, news filtered through that Wayne Rooney was to start on the bench and Nani had been dropped from the side completely, two players who had come in for criticism after the defeat to Everton. So, as game time approached the team to face the West London club was known, with David De Gea in goal, Carrick and Vidic continuing to partner centrally with Evra and Rafael Da Silva on either side of them. In midfield, Cleverley and Anderson paired up with Valencia, Kagawa and Young ahead of them. Finally, up front as a lone striker was Robin Van Persie.
The game saw action early on, with the home crowd stunned into silence as a well played free kick out left found it's way to Damien Duff, who finished smartly low into the corner to give his side a quick 0-1 lead. However, this did not go without response and by the 10 minute mark, it was 1-1 and in spectacular fashion. Patrice Evra played a cross into the box taking a bounce as it made it's way to Van Persie with a couple of yards of space. United's new signing directed the ball with the side of his foot towards goal, floating into the top right corner, and sending fans into raptures. An incredible way to open his scoring account.
From there, the home side began to pick up the pace, looking creative going forward, and by 35 minutes, it was 2-1. This time, one of United's other Summer signings made his mark on his home debut. The impressive Kagawa got on the end of a Cleverley shot that was parried by Schwarzer into the path of an onside Kagawa to easily finish. There was also time for another, as Rafael, having had a goal disallowed for offside earlier in the half, got the goal he was looking for as Ashley Young played a well placed cross to the far post, to meet Da Silva to head home. 3-1 at half time and United in control.
The second half started with United looking more casual as Fulham searched for a way back into the game and with over an hour played, they were gifted it, as a cross was poorly dealt with, De Gea missing the punch and the ball rolling off the back of Vidic for an own goal. Calamity and nervousness ensue. As the clock wound down, Young, Kagawa and Anderson made way for Giggs, Welbeck and Rooney as tensions reached breaking point. De Gea redeemed himself for his error with a couple of good saves to prevent an equaliser. There was time for yet more drama as Rooney sustained a deep cut to his thigh in an unfortunate accident that may rule him out for the next 4 weeks.
After a dramatic 90 minutes of football, in what was an open game, the final whistle went as United saw out the game 3-2 to gain their first points of the season. With that, here are five things that may be taken from the game.

1) Robin Van Persie – A Great Start
With United going behind very quickly on Saturday, the need for a response was clear for all and it was provided spectacular fashion. The way Van Persie swept Evra's cross into the net was pleasing to the eye and a great way to open his account for United. In a game where Kagawa also scored on his home debut, fans will have been glad to see the new signings make an impact in such a way, in a game where they had influences throughout, linking up well and contributing strongly to the attack.

2) Did Rooney being on the bench mean anything?
Looking at the rather obvious omission of Rooney from the starting line up, one cannot help but try to find some sort of interpretation or meaning to the decision. One may look at it as a message that his place within the side is no longer a guarantee if he is not playing well, and that Ferguson now has the strength in depth up front to compensate for it. Given the standard of play from both Rooney and Nani on Monday, and their subsequent drops may lead one to take this line of thinking. Another way of looking at it, is that early in the season, Ferguson may be trying to vary the sdes he plays in search of his favoured formation, giving Van Persie the chance to play the lone striker with someone behind him in the form of Kagawa.
Regardless of the true intentions, it is probably true that Rooney's place in the starting line up is not quite as settled as it once was. The benefit of course is he remains fitter for longer with less of a game load and less reliance on one player for attacking inspiration. It may even spur him on to improve further in light of recent additions. The same applies for Nani, who is reportedly trying for a new contract, in needing to show more consistency to hold a regular place in the side, with the idea that there are others vying for his spot should he fail to do so.

3) The strengths and the weakness of David De Gea
One thing that nobody can deny of De Gea is his ability as a shot stopper. On Monday and again on Saturday he displayed fantastic saves that kept United in the game, and against Fulham helped maintain their lead. One issue that was not strictly tested against Everton but was shown up at home was his command of his area and his physicality in dealing with crosses.
It is not entirely clear what happened with the own goal, whether there was a lack of communication between Vidic and De Gea, for example, but in my view, it was a ball De Gea did not need to go for, and in doing so left the goal open when he did not reach it as it rolled of Vidic to gift the visitors a goal. Having spent so long injured Vidic still looks a little rusty, as a back line hampered by injury continues to struggle, particularly given the attacking preference of Da Silva and Evra, but Fulham's second was certainly an avoidable affair.
Again, though, there was praise-worthy moments, with some truly world class saves to deny the away side more goals and his contribution to the victory should not be discounted.

4) Dembele ran the midfield
To complain about the midfield when United looked impressive going forward and showed good creativity may seem a little cynical, but one must acknowledge that Fulham were able to control the midfield with much greater effect than the home side. Dembele in particular held a strong influence, winning the ball and getting forward to cause United problems. This helped produce an open game that looked as if it could go either way at times, and allowed the West London club to threaten on more than one occasion. Luckily for the Old Trafford faithful that was not to be the case. However, it could be said that United need someone more commanding in midfield, the kind that Darren Fletcher provided, or that Carrick may provide in his own way once he moves back into midfield.
That said, Anderson and Cleverley combined well in the centre of the park and Kagawa looked extremely impressive, linking up with Van Persie and making great plays, scoring the second goal and hitting the post on another occasion. United could have been guilty of getting too complacent after taking the lead, a complaint that cropped up on more than one occasion last season. Certainly, putting the game to bed is an aspect that could be worked on, and one hopes that games are able to be seen out with a little more finesse as the season goes on.

5) Strength in depth up front
With Rooney supposedly facing 4 weeks out with what was a deep cut to his leg on Saturday, it occurred to me that this was, of course, bad news but not the huge blow that it could have been last season. Given the starts of the new signings, and the type of players signed, it is clear that there is a greater depth to the attack than there has been, and with Rooney injured, other capable players should get their chance within the side, fans may even find Berbatov making an appearance, assuming he is not sold on before the transfer window closes.

http://redflagflyinghigh.com/2012/08/blogs/five-things-we-learned-manchester-united-vs-fulham?

WhiteJC

Absence of reluctant hero makes Ireland set-up a poorer one

Damien Duff shone on the biggest stages of all and his quicksilver qualities were appreciated wherever he went, writes Dion Fanning

Damien Duff once ran across a hotel lobby in Zagreb because he thought I wanted to talk to him. He hadn't done anything wrong, there was no reason for him to be avoiding the press and I didn't want to talk to him anyway. But Damien Duff wanted nothing to do with the press, not so much because he hated their ways but because he hated the idea of seeing himself in the paper as a two-dimensional figure. "If you ever see me in VIP, you can shoot me."

The last time I interviewed him was at Fulham a couple of years ago. He had agreed to it after an Ireland game and seemed to have been regretting it every moment since. He was waiting for me in a room which almost seemed darkened in anticipation while he was sitting at a table, a bundle of regret. "I don't know why I said yes to this."

There was never a more enjoyable, decent, smart and funny interviewee who hated every moment of the interview than Damien Duff. His discomfort became part of the process but he knew what he thought, what he wanted to say and, increasingly, what he didn't want to say.

He understood from an early age that the media would take their lead from the headlines. The truth is that he is and always was more complicated than that. He loved Dylan and the Beatles and there was more to him than the man who slept a lot and just got up, walked on to the field and played.

In an interview when he was at Chelsea, he mentioned that he gave his wages to his mother. A line buried in a 3,000 word piece became a tabloid headline the next day. Duff squirmed. Claudio Ranieri revealed that Duff was his mother's favourite player.

Everywhere he went, people warmed to him because of his apparent helplessness, which disappeared the moment he stepped on to a football pitch. Others were helpless then. The story of the dressing room instructions given by Brian Kerr in their underage days resonated because it was authentic.

It happened during a golden age for Kerr and the underage team. The manager had given his final detailed instructions to the team. They believed in the manager, knew that if they did exactly what he said, results would come. They listened and were ready to carry out every order. Kerr left the dressing room and then returned. He looked at Duffer. "Damien, none of this applies to you."

Duff would unleash his talent any way he could. Kerr never doubted Duff would go to the top. He first saw him play a youth match against Poland in 1996. The PA announcer had rattled through the teams. Kerr wasn't sure if Duff was even playing. Then a player with a gait which, in Tom Humphries' words, looked like a hungover man bringing out the bins on a Monday morning, got on the ball. "I said, 'that's your man'. On a bumpy helter-skelter pitch he was magical. Then I understood." Kerr never doubted but others wondered if his easy way -- "Damien likes too many fried egg sandwiches" a former team-mate said -- would interest the top clubs. They were spectacularly wrong.

In May 2002, I went to Blackburn to interview him. We were going to have lunch in a pub but then he changed the venue as he said he couldn't be seen in a pub two days before a game. Instead we went to the Blues Bar at Ewood Park, Blackburn's own bar and restaurant.

Duff was on the back page of every tabloid that day. Manchester United and Liverpool wanted him. He shrugged about it, wondered about the tabloid attention and got on with playing football.

Liverpool spent all summer wondering if they should make a bid. Instead they bought El-Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao and Bruno Cheyrou. United, at least, won the league without him.

Duff went to the World Cup and everything changed. In the great performances of modern Irish football going back to McGrath at Giants Stadium and Keane against Portugal and Holland at Lansdowne Road, Duff's relentless terrorising of Spain in Suwon must always be mentioned. It was glorious and life-affirming.

The sadness was that the tournament was overshadowed by Saipan and that there wouldn't be another one until Poland, which was overshadowed by painful defeat after painful defeat.

He went from Chelsea to Newcastle to Fulham and found a kind of anonymity as a Premier League footballer at a serene and calm club. There were glorious cameos, not always on the pitch. The sight of him walking along the touchline in Bratislava as he took his seat having travelled to watch the team was one. There was his anger and despair after Paris. Duff accused the sporting industrial complex of keeping Ireland out of the tournament and wanting the big sides. He paid a price for those remarks.

Ireland will be a poorer team without him and there will be less magic around. He is happy at Fulham and, as the European Championships and the early part of the season made clear, he remains a talent Ireland will miss. He deserves to prosper for many years. Long may he run.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/absence-of-reluctant-hero-makes-ireland-setup-a-poorer-one-3210148.html?

WhiteJC

Heerenveen raid in Jol's plans

Martin Jol is ready to make a renewed bid to take Morocco international Oussama Assaidi to Fulham after his switch Ajax fell through.

The Cottagers boss was linked with a swoop for the 23-year-old in May as he planned a double swoop on Dutch club Heerenveen, which also involved Luciano Narsingh.

However it appeared Assaidi was poised to make the move to Jol's former club Ajax before the transfer recently collapsed. And, with Clint Dempsey continually being linked with a move out of Craven Cottage before the transfer window closes, a fresh swoop for Assaidi could be on the cards.

Meanwhile, West Ham are reportedly the latest club to be linked with a possible swoop for 29-year-old American international, Dempsey.

But they have failed to match Fulham's valuation of the player, who is now into the final year of his contract at the Cottage.

Liverpool continue to be favourites to sign Dempsey and reports claim they offered cash plus midfielder Charlie Adam to secure his services. But the Scotland international's reluctance to quit Anfield for London has proved to be a sticking point on that particular move materialising.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/heerenveen-raid-in-jols-plans-1455367.html?

WhiteJC

Sidwell ready for first-team fight

Steve Sidwell is aiming to secure a regular first-team place for Fulham this season after overcoming his lengthy injury problems.

The 29-year-old midfielder endured a nightmare campaign at Craven Cottage last term as he missed the final three months due to a hernia injury, which first affected him during last November's defeat against Tottenham.

Sidwell endured three operations to rectify the problem as he played through the pain barrier on six occasions after first being struck down before then accepting he needed to get the matter sorted.

However, the former Aston Villa and Chelsea man is now fully fit and aiming to feature regularly in the new Premier League campaign, which gets underway with the visit of Norwich on Saturday.

Sidwell, who has seen the departures of skipper Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu clear his path the starting XI, told the Chronicle: "I had three ops in six months, kept rushing back, never rested properly and then it took one final one over the summer.

"Hopefully I can knuckle down now and cement a place in the team and start where I left off before the operation. I know I've got a lot to offer.

"I was never right. I put myself forward because that's the sort of person I am really. I just want to play and if I can jog then I am fit, but I was never good enough to be selected really. That was my downfall.

"I'm fully fit now, looking forward to it and raring to go. I've lost a bit of time so hopefully it's time to catch up.

"For me personally, I want to get in the starting XI. Midfield-wise, we've got a lot of players in there so it's trying to cement a place and get a good run of games hopefully."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/sidwell-ready-for-first-team-fight-1455373.html?

Whitewash

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 26, 2012, 08:11:16 AM

Heerenveen raid in Jol's plans

Martin Jol is ready to make a renewed bid to take Morocco international Oussama Assaidi to Fulham after his switch Ajax fell through.

The Cottagers boss was linked with a swoop for the 23-year-old in May as he planned a double swoop on Dutch club Heerenveen, which also involved Luciano Narsingh.

However it appeared Assaidi was poised to make the move to Jol's former club Ajax before the transfer recently collapsed. And, with Clint Dempsey continually being linked with a move out of Craven Cottage before the transfer window closes, a fresh swoop for Assaidi could be on the cards.

Meanwhile, West Ham are reportedly the latest club to be linked with a possible swoop for 29-year-old American international, Dempsey.

But they have failed to match Fulham's valuation of the player, who is now into the final year of his contract at the Cottage.

Liverpool continue to be favourites to sign Dempsey and reports claim they offered cash plus midfielder Charlie Adam to secure his services. But the Scotland international's reluctance to quit Anfield for London has proved to be a sticking point on that particular move materialising.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/heerenveen-raid-in-jols-plans-1455367.html?

Thought he had gone to Liverpool? Is this article

A) complete garbage
B) meant to be about Narsingh