Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (28.01.10)

Started by White Noise, January 28, 2010, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/danny-murphy/article/3073/

Neville-Tevez row out of proportion

Tue Jan 26 02:21PM

The row between Carlos Tevez and Gary Neville has obviously been well publicised but, in my opinion, the incident has been sensationalised out of proportion.
I am in no doubt that Neville was asked a question regarding the value of Tevez's sale and he gave an honest opinion. It has created a bit of bad blood between the opposing supporters and players, enhancing the rivalry even more, but deep down I still believe there is an underlying respect between two very talented players.

Neville was drawn into a response, but in all fairness he is entitled to honesty and free speech and was merely giving an opinion.

In terms of Tevez's reaction to Neville's opinion, that was fairly unprofessional and Carlos should focus on doing all of his talking on the pitch. He had a fantastic first leg, highlighting what a great goalscorer he is, and that is the best way to silence any adverse opinions of him.

Both men are fantastic professionals and it is a shame that the incident has been exacerbated.

I think a punishment for players insulting one another publicly depends on the situation. Everyone is entitled to free speech, as I mentioned, and Neville's initial response to the question was an honest opinion as opposed to a direct insult about Tevez. I have no doubt that he respects him as an opponent on the pitch.

Personally, I have never had any direct clashes with Gary Neville. He is vocal on the pitch because he is a leader and has an extremely strong desire to win, and I have nothing but respect for him.

The United- City game on Wednesday night will be a superb game for both sets of fans, and the neutrals. Man United have their big game experience, and City now bring a real hunger and spark, which will make for a very interesting clash.

I think local rivalries are still very important in the modern game. They always add spice to fixtures and the games are always competitive, fuelled with passion and intensity. The games always mean everything to the fans with the rivalry sometimes dividing friends, the workplace and even families!

There is always a special atmosphere which brings out the best in the players on the pitch

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/VillaProgrammePreview.aspx

Programme Preview

Thursday 28th January 2010

After a break of more than a month since our last home Premier League fixture, fans heading to Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon for the Club's exciting clash with Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa will have the chance to get their hands on the Club's fantastic matchday programme.

With 84 pages packed full of information, the essential matchday read comes complete with in-depth discussion and detailed coverage on your favourite club, be you a Craven Cottage regular or visiting Villan.

With its sleek design and range of innovative features, this week's edition includes:

• An exclusive insight from Manager Roy Hodgson.
• Danny Murphy's views as Club captain.
• Norwegian schemer Bjørn Helge Riise on his hopes at Fulham and in the Barclays Premier League in 2010, talking exclusively in our four-page feature.
• A peak inside the opposition's camp with Villa midfielder Stewart Downing.
• Expert Analysis from former Fulham loanee, Aston Villa star and now Talksport presenter and football columnist Stan Collymore.
• A look back in pictures at some of the past meetings between the two clubs.
• Match action from our games with Stoke City and Accrington Stanley.
• Through the ranks profile on promising U18 goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, discussing his rise through the Academy and ambitions of a first professional contract.
• Academy Manager Gary Brazil focuses on the U18s' progression in the FA Youth Cup.
• Unprecedented fan interaction and tonnes of fun for younger fans too.
• Plus, so much more besides!

The brilliant matchday publication will be on sale in and around the ground from two-hours before kick-off.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/VillaProgrammePreview.aspx#ixzz0duQRfEdB

White Noise

Weekend Travel Update

Supporters attending this weekend's game at Craven Cottage between Fulham and Aston Villa should note that works to Hammersmith Bridge and planned works to the Circle Line could affect travel times.

Hammersmith Bridge
Work on Hammersmith Bridge will continue until March 2010, the bridge will be closed to all traffic in both directions every weekend until March 15. However, the bridge will be open to cyclists and pedestrians at all times during these works.

Circle Line
There is no service on the entire line due to track replacement work this weekend. Your journey time could take up to 45 minutes extra. If you need any further information visit tfl.gov.uk| , phone 0843 222 1234 (24 hours) or speak to station staff.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/WeekendTravelUpdate.aspx#ixzz0duQfjZxv

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5890557,00.html

Fulham resurrect Okaka deal

Roma forward to fly into London to discuss deal

Last updated: 28th January 2010   

Skysports.com has learned Fulham's move for Roma striker Stefano Okaka has been resurrected.

The talented 20-year-old striker looked all set to switch to Craven Cottage on a loan deal earlier this month, only for the move to break down.

Fulham had been keen to land the player to cover for the then injured Bobby Zamora but while the in-form striker has since returned, Clint Dempsey has picked up a serious injury.

Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson has always retained an interest in Okaka and is keen to seal his services in a deal until the end of the season.

Skysports.com understands the player is to jet in to London on Thursday night in an attempt to thrash out the finer details of the move.

Roma are open to the idea of Okaka moving to West London in pursuit of first-team football and it does now look as though a deal could be struck.

os5889

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/danny-murphy/article/3158/

Danny Murphy's mailbag

Thu Jan 28 01:52PM

Fulham captain and Eurosport-Yahoo! blogger Danny Murphy answers some more questions from you, the readers. 

- What do you think of Michel Platini's idea to restrict Champions League entry to clubs that are self-financing, and not bankrolled through debt or rich owners? (Tim Heaps)

I think it would be very difficult to implement and is rather far-fetched. Rich ownership and a degree of debt has now crept into the game and clubs appreciate that they do need to improve their financial situations if they are struggling. I don't think restricting Champion's League entry is a feasible solution.

- What would you do to improve officiating? It seems refs botch decisions every weekend. (Robert Kesser)

I think the only real solution to improve officiating is to try and get ex-players into the role of referees. It is very difficult for referees to understand the intricacies of the game unless you have played at that level. Unfortunately referees nowadays seem so controlled by the rule book, and conscious of assessors, that the degree of common sense and instinct that is so crucial to officiating when making decisions has been lost to an extent.

- How much fatigue do professional football players feel during a match? Do they ever get really out of breath, or are they so fit that they can just run for 90 minutes without getting tired? (James Jones)

There are certainly occasions in the game when professional footballers feel out of breath, or experience very heavy legs. Then again, there are moments in the game when players feel like they can go on forever- the key is to be clever in your decision making. Naturally, as the game progresses, fatigue sets in, which is why you generally see more errors towards the end of the game.

- Who did you support when you were a kid and who was your favourite player? (Emma Hayden)

As a kid, I was an avid Liverpool fan and fortunately had the opportunity to play for my club as a professional. There were two players that I respected in particular when I was growing up who were Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes (pictured). Barnes had an aura of calm, and an outstanding ability to both make and score goals which is rare even in the modern game.

- Danny, if you could turn back the clock and put right one mistake from your career in football, what would you change? (Alvin Foeng)

I wouldn't consider anything that has happened in my career as a mistake but one opportunity that I regret, through no fault of my own, was being injured around the 2002 World Cup. I believe if I was fit and raring to go, I would have had a great opportunity to be in the England squad.

- Danny, how do footballers (and you personally) keep themselves grounded in the face of all the media hype and money that surrounds the Premier League? (Billy Crossman)

I think the most important thing is to have good people around you in order to stay grounded in a game with so much hype around it. My close friends and family are extremely important in helping me make the right decisions, and I believe that good management early in your career will put you in the right direction. It is essential to stay close to the people that know and understand you the best.

White Noise

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2010/01/28/alan-hansens-premier-league-preview-fulham-v-aston-villa/

Alan Hansen's Premier League Preview: Fulham v Aston Villa

Aston Villa put on a decent display in the 0-0 home draw with Arsenal in midweek which has extended their win-less and non-scoring Premier League run to four matches. However, in all competitions Martin O'Neill's team are unbeaten in six games and will still be buoyed by reaching the Carling Cup final, so a lack of confidence should not be a problem. Alternatively Fulham are on a 4-match losing run in the league and it's been 5-games since they last tasted a league win.

Villa have a team built for playing away from home. They have a strong physical defence and a number of quick attacking players able to spring forward at pace to great effect. However, with the notable exceptions of wins at Anfield and Old Trafford, O'Neill's team have been susceptible to away defeats at grounds where you'd expect them to win. The Villans' defeats at Blackburn and West Ham were surprising to say the least and their record at Craven Cottage is not good.

Fulham have not lost any of their last five home league matches with Villa, a run of three draws and two wins. The Cottagers have won there for the past two seasons so this won't be an easy trip for the Carling Cup finalists. Villa's last win away at Fulham came in February 2004 and this remains their only success in their last eleven visits to West London (6 defeats and four draws).

Roy Hodgson's team may have lost their last four successive league matches but importantly all those defeats have come away from Craven Cottage. Fulham's home record is very good with only Arsenal and Chelsea being able to beat them there this season. Defensively their record is also strong with clean-sheets in their last three home games against Sunderland, Manchester United and Tottenham. Fulham did not play badly at White Hart Lane in midweek but they did struggle to create goal-scoring opportunities. They may well struggle again as Richard Dunne and James Collins will relish the physical battle with Bobby Zamora which is the focal point of the home side's attack.

Fulham's four defeats on the bounce may have all been away but confidence will still have been affected ahead of this match. The Cottagers don't have the biggest of squads and injuries have played a big part in the team's recent slide. Villa on the other hand have the majority of their big name players fit and showed enough against Arsenal to suggest they will come looking for all 3 points. Both Fulham and Villa are very well organised outfits so this will be a close match but I just feel that the home side is both depleted and a little deflated. Therefore, I am tipping an away win with an estimated Premier 10 jackpot of £30,000 to be won.

manxman

Thanks White Noise :) i dot know how you find all this stuff ha ha
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

os5889

http://www.football.co.uk/fulham/preview__fulham_v_aston_villa_302665.shtml

Preview: Fulham v Aston Villa

Aston Villa make the trip to capital on Saturday to face Roy Hodgson's Fulham at Craven Cottage.

The visitors will be looking for a much-needed three points if they are to continue their unrealistic top-four charge, but after picking up a draw at Villa Park against Arsenal on Wednesday evening, Martin O'Neill's men could be confident.

Villa are four points adrift of Tottenham Hotspur, who occupy the fourth and final Champions League place, although they do have a game in hand over their London rivals.

Fulham will not be an easy conquest for the Midlands outfit, especially with a fine home record that has steered them into top-half contention.

They have not lost at Craven Cottage since the 1-0 defeat to Arsenal on September 26 and 11 games has passed since this setback.

Fulham will proudly look back knowing they have put Liverpool and champions Manchester United handsomely to the sword in this sequence.

Despite this, Fulham's last four Premier League fixtures have all been away from home, and they have lost each one to Chelsea, Stoke City, Blackburn Rovers and Spurs and it is a mini-slump that Hodgson will want to arrest.

Fulham's progress has been hindered with the loss of several key first-team players in recent times.

American star Clint Dempsey, Andrew Johnson and John Paintsil (all knee) will be missing with Paul Konchesky (ankle) struggling to shake off his problem.

Villa currently have few injury concerns which must delight O'Neill at this crucial stage of the season, although midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker has been ruled out for three months with an ankle problem.

The Villans have secured their place in the final of the Carling Cup after semi-final wins against Blackburn and it was the same side they knocked out of the FA Cup.

A further FA Cup win against Brighton & Hove Albion has put them into the fifth round and after picking up draws with West Ham United and Arsenal, a win at the Cottage would certainly increase team morale as they look to remain unbeaten.

White Noise

Quote from: manxman on January 28, 2010, 02:42:05 PM
Thanks White Noise :) i dot know how you find all this stuff ha ha

No worries Manxie. Who'd have thought there would even be this much on Fulham a few years ago. This year looks like being the biggest yet, in terms of our coverage in the media, because Roy has made Fulham 'a story' again.  

Now if we can just stop being last on MOTD...... :'(

manxman

i know! i have been noticing that change in more stories piping up. It will be a miracle if were not last on MOTD for once :P
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

White Noise

Robert Lewandowski

Lech Poznan to Fulham - The Insider says: 2/5

Home boy: Lewandski had been expected to stay in Poland although his stance has changed

Fulham and Portsmouth have both thought about Lewandowski but were given the impression he was staying in Poland until the summer and if they wanted him now he would cost £7million.

However, Poznan's stance and attitude has changed and they are believed to be willing to negotiate and that could open the door for the Poland striker to come to the Premier League over the weekend - possibly even on a loan deal.

He is still only 21-years-old and had wanted to continue developing in the Polish league but is wary he may miss his chance to move to England if he does not look at something now.
Fulham are struggling to land a striker. They maintain interest in Roma's Stefano Okaka,  but have been rebuffed by Basle's Marco Streller and are unsure about Egypt's Mohamed Nagy.

Blackburn could yet come in to the picture for Lewandowski as they search for goals and Wigan have not finalised their striker targets just

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1246767/Hammer-time-Bentley-Fulham-Poles-Slory-set-Albion-Sunderland-want-Babel.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0dvOmqbrQ

White Noise

Cottage Return

Fulham return to the Cottage on Saturday for their first Barclays Premier League home match of 2010 when they take on Aston Villa.

Roy Hodgson's side have endured a tough league schedule this past month and the players are hoping to get back to winning ways at the Cottage this weekend, as Erik Nevland explains.

"We've had a bad run so we need to put that right on Saturday," said the Norwegian striker. "We've been playing against very good teams recently and we haven't been playing too badly.

"They're all big games in the Premier League and matches are decided by very small margins. It's always good to play at home and Saturday is going to be an important game and we have to put it right.

"February is certainly going to be a busy month but that just means we're involved in a lot of games and competitions which is a very good thing."

Nevland scored the opening goal in last weekend's 4th Round FA Cup win over Accrington Stanley and the striker is hoping to play his part against Villa on Saturday.

"There have been ups and downs for me personally this season but all in all I've been quite satisfied. Obviously I always hope I'll be in the starting line up, and come Saturday we'll see, but I hope I can be involved in the game in some way."

Nevland certainly knows the danger of another Norwegian striker who may be lining up against Fulham on Saturday and featuring in a side that he certainly will not be underestimating.

"John Carew is a big strong man and a very good player. If he's fit he will certainly be a handful for our defence so it's going to be a tough game. They have a lot of good players and are potentially a top four side so we're in for a tough game on Saturday."

It will be a welcome return to the Cottage for Roy Hodgson's men on Saturday after more than a month without a league fixture at home and Nevland is hoping both fans and players alike will be celebrating three points on Saturday evening.

"Our fans are always good and if they can keep that going we'll do our best to keep our good home record up with a win on Saturday and that'll be good for everybody."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/NevlandsVillaPreview.aspx#ixzz0dvPrZN9p