Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (03/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 03, 2012, 04:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Three and easy
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 2, 2012

It took only 57 seconds for Kevin Nolan to lash the Hammers' ahead yesterday

I always enjoy my trips to West Ham. There's a historical bond between the clubs that stretches beyond Bobby Moore and 1975 to the likes of Leroy Rosenior and, even more recently, Andy Melville and Luis Boa Morte. More than that, though, the Hammers are a reminder of what football used to be like: a proper club that hasn't forgotten its roots at the heart of London's East End and embodies the blueprint that Trevor Brooking is now trying implement across the country for the Football Association after his education at the Boleyn Ground.

Unfortunately, Fulham are far too accommodating almost every time the Whites make the short trip down the District Line. Just as we've become accustomed to wretched away showings in the top flight these days, I'm probably a bit too blase about Fulham's appalling record at Upton Park. Statistically speaking, West Ham are the side who average more points against us than any other since Jean Tigana guided Fulham back to English football's elite at the turn of the millennium. Furthermore, we've mustered just two paltry wins at West Ham in that time – one was on our very first Premier League visit in 2001 and the other was a surprise FA Cup replay success, sparked by a wondergoal from Brian McBride, that perked up a hospitalised Chris Coleman four years later. But, for the most part, our performances at West Ham have been gallant failures or gutsy draws: like the late point secured by Phillipe Christanval after Vincenzo Montella made his debut from the bench. The memory of Junior Stanislas' speculative injury-time effort taking a hefty deflection off Aaron Hughes and wrong-footing Mark Schwarzer just as we dared to dream that Roy Hodgson's ten man might break the West Ham hoodoo in 2009 still lingers in the back of my brain.

As I wrote yesterday in the lead-up to the first London derby of the campaign, setting the right tone early was crucial. Sam Allardyce wrote in the programme yesterday about the atmosphere and frenzied pace of a meeting between two sides from the capital – this was the first of ten such clashes this season for both sides – and the Hammers' boss will have identified this as a home banker in his quest to garner enough points to keep the Hammers well clear of the dreaded drop zone. On yesterday's performance, the Irons look more like top ten contenders – but that might have had a fair bit to do with West Ham's desire to respond immediately to their forgettable South Wales sojourn as well as Fulham's generous defending.

Going behind to the fastest goal of the season might not have been in Martin Jol's plans, but you know he would have seen it coming. Andy Carroll, who cantered around like a carefree schoolboy let out of lessons early in the warm-up, looked like a man instantaneously free of the pressure created by that hefty £35m price tag placed around his shoulders when Liverpool opted for him to replace Fernando Torres. When a manager and his team-mates believe in him and the side is constructed to his strengths, as he showed for the Anfield outfit at the tail end of last season and during his commanding display for Roy Hodgson's England against Sweden this summer, Carroll is almost irresistible. The fact that his great mate Kevin Nolan is his captain again at West Ham probably helped clinch a loan move the old-fashioned number nine needed to reignite his career – and it was almost scripted that the pair would combine for the opening goal.

That Fulham conceded from the first high ball they had to deal with set the tone for the afternoon. Allardyce's plans all came to fruition. Carroll, given the chance to contest a hopeful header from the back with a run at a static Brede Hangeland, soared high and flicked the ball beyond the Norwegian centre half. That allowed Ricardo Vaz Te, so lethal during West Ham's promotion season last year, to saunter into the box beyond Aaron Hughes and his clever flick caught Sasha Riether out of position and Nolan arrived to send a first-time volley across Mark Schwarzer from twelve yards. 57 seconds was it all took – it was simply too straightforward.

Where West Ham were on the front foot and rampaging forward at will, Fulham were fitful. When the Whites did have possession (and they enjoyed slightly more of the ball than their hosts overall) they frequently squandered it and Mladen Petric was so starved of service that it seemed slightly harsh to withdraw him at half time. The visitors certainly didn't make enough of Joey O'Brien's presence as a makeshift left back: twice in the first twenty minutes, Damien Duff beat him with ease but Fulham to give the intelligent Irish winger the ball enough to exploit that weakness.

Instead, the only weaknesses were at the heart of a usually impregnable Fulham defence. The second goal was so sloppily conceded from a set-piece it left me – never mind Jol and his coaching staff – seething with rage. Fulham failed to screen the near post sufficently, Schwarzer should have been more decisive in his six-yard box to connect with Matt Taylor's inswinging corner and a man of Winston Reid's aerial ability was given far too much freedom to bend his run and power a header into the centre of the goal.

Coming back from 2-0 down is difficult but not impossible, especially when you consider that Jol had a fair bit of attacking talent to introduce from the bench. The third goal was perhaps the most frustrating of the lot. Mahamadou Diarra might have had a case for being impeded by Andy Carroll at this set-play but a man who has graced the Champions' League with distinction and made all those appearances for Real Madrid should simply be stronger in that situation in front of a burly centre forward. Hangeland's header away was clumsy but Fulham failed to close down Taylor from the sort of range where he's been a menace for years – and paid the penalty.

There was a lot of opprobrium in the away end by this point and poor old Kieran Richardson, once a West Ham youngster, was the target of much of it. This was unfair. Richardson's an excellent footballer, quietly efficient in midfield, and showed enough ambition to muster Fulham's first shot on target, which really extended Jaaskelainen down to his left. Given that the versatile midfielder, good enough to be considered worth a serious run in Sven-Goran Eriksson's England side when he broke through at Old Trafford, had hardly trained with his new team-mates after concluding a late switch from Sunderland yesterday, it was a big call to put him in central midfield alongside Steve Sidwell. Richardson, a willing worker and technically sound, will be far better than what he showed yesterday afternoon and is a real bargain at around £2m.

Fulham were far better in the second half once Dimitar Berbatov was introduced, although West Ham were in cruising mode by this point. The Bulgarian looked eager to make an impression, almost as if he was aggrieved to have to sit through the abject first forty five minutes (you weren't the only one, Dimitar). His first touch was as resplendent as we remember and there were all the clever flicks and tricks to bring his team-mates into play. It was all a little academic but in a single half of football, Berbatov made five chances and that makes him our second most creative player of the season.

Whilst the defending was abject and the defeat proved a painful reminder of why anything more than mid-table is far too ambitious before Jol manages to cure Fulham's chronic away form, there's enough to suggest that the Whites won't struggle for creativity going forward post-Dempsey and Dembele. Anyone suggesting that the Whites looked devoid of dynamism yesterday is right, of course, but should remember that Bryan Ruiz was ruled out with a hamstring injury. The Costa Rican has looked superb behind a lone striker after completing a full pre-season and Berbatov's arrival will mean that Mladen Petric might have to play out wide. That creates competition for places and I felt Alex Kacaniklic was unfortunate to dropped after his fine start plus there's Kerim Frei to return from injury.

We might have been well beaten at the Boleyn Ground – but that's not unusual. In 1968, a side containing George Cohen as well as the late Johnny Haynes and Sir Bobby Robson were battered 7-2. Most Fulham fans would have taken three points from the first three games, considering that they included trips to Manchester United and West Ham. The season's not decided in September, although Jol will be wanting his new-look side to set the record straight against West Brom after the international break.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/three-and-easy/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Match Report: Match Day 421 (our 421st consecutive match in the Premier League!)
"The centre does not hold."

An everlasting river flows between opposites. Sir Roy Hodgson's Fulham was all central with inverted wingers pressing play inward. Maarten Jol's Fulham is all wing play and no centre. This may be a mistake, but insofar as he is a thinking man, perhaps it is no accident. Our fulcrum removed not once but twice since my last Fulham match attended in May, our once vaunted and ineluctable shape was not even a shadow of its former form. Instead, our play sought to start from the backs, and the burden to switch from defence to attack proved overwhelming. If for no other reason, the possession our central mids used to hold, shifted to the backs, and showed their mental vulnerabilities. This was a match that cried out for Danny Murphy.

"Things fall apart."

I have a lot of time for West Ham United as a community based small business. I often arrive early at grounds and first experience them in this way as they awaken for trade. When one arrives at Upton Park particularly, there is a bustle and not a frisson. Down the grimy steps of the Hammersmith and City line, crossing the road past the Halal butcher and there lies Queens Road Market, a smaller but more diminutive Albert Square market stall. "There's only 12 Billy Mitchells!" we Fulham sang to the East stand and they mostly laughed along with us at our stereotyping of their confederacy of geezers. One such, who did slightly resemble a character from Minder sold rolls loo rolls just outside the Boleyn Ground post match labeled "Arsenal toilet paper" and his enterprise "Ministryoftoiletroll.co.uk" (at £5/roll or 5for £20, he actually had some trade as I bypassed). Along Queens Road, the scent of diesel from the East London Bus terminal mixes with Chicken Balti pies and a very faint scent of something like mosquito repellent drapes the many market stalls and all shapes and sizes of people and things coloured light blue and dark red. From the many initiatives of West Ham United FC and the Bobby Moore Foundation in and around Newham and Barking, it seems a fair trade exchange to me. From the Sir Trevor Brooking stand, one sees the low slope of the Lea Valley's hills in the horizon from the east corner of the Bobby Moore stand, beyond which, industrial Greater London fades into Essex and then, the sea. When this business does leave this place, a small bit of the Modern England I love will die.

I have less time for West Ham United as a football product but I respect it. It does not purport to be anything than the direct, traditional #9 focused play it is. The first goal was quintessentially Allerdycian: James Collins hit a 20 yard cross to Andy Carroll, who as we reaffirmed to each other not infrequently, looks like a horse, who beats Captain Hangeland in the air before knocking the ball to Ricardo Vaz Te. Vaz Te controls then squares across to Kevin Nolan and 1-0 in 58 seconds. Time and again, our backs looked under-matched physically between Vaz Te, Diame and Demel when he pushed up when compared to Reither, Rise and Hughes. It was not merely in contrast to our laconic Bulgarian that West Ham appeared technically suspect, for most any side would seem so, but in the absolute, they are technically poor. Their clearances were poor, the runs mistimed, their challenges consistently clumsy but as evidence mounted, the match's outcome was by now irrefutable.

"Surely some revelation is at hand."

Cometh the hour, cometh the man, is why the performance from Fulham's poorest player today, Steve Sidwell, was especially poignant. Today was his time to show us why he was an England U21 and against a technically maladroit opponent, but his pace, positioning and nous was wanting. He played often behind Diarra, who despite the omnishambles, scarcely a foot wrong, even on the 44th minute goal when Hughes should have had the second man, Matt Taylor. Until today, I did not realize how similar Sidwell is to how Dickson Etuhu played a series of short balls, I this case mainly back to Diarra, who should be the more defensive partner. Tomorrow's papers will rate him four out of ten and though it pains me to say this of the Wandsworth white, rightly so. As the afternoon progressed, grey skies turned into light but when the whistle sounded, Rise, and then Hangeland and Sidwell came and applauded me and my fellow 2,000 travelers. Steve's face was wreathed in disappointment, and though he was culpable, my heart sank for him. He walked across the pitch towards the tunnel, akimbo, head cast down and shoulders up, arching out the 7 on his back. He knows he was not good enough today and football is a business ruthless as the Halal butcher down Queens Road. Patjim Kasami is too young, but I expect he and Kerim Frei will get enhanced consideration for the position.

Otherwise, I believe Fulham will change their play to a more conscientious long ball approach the maximize opportunities for what is now a delectable set of attacking options. I saw Alastair Macintosh ten feet away this morning as he entered reception at the ground and I stood in a queue. Has he, I wonder, a must buy or loan remit for January unless either Kasami or Frei prove adequate and knowing a player of Danny Murphy's qualities is so unique as to be singularly irreplaceable? How well one or the other young man adapts, or the team itself to the absence of a strong centre mid will determine whether Maarten Jol's Oranje revolution doth build Jerusalem in London's green and pleasant land or instead whether we are rough beasts, slouching to the Bethlehem of January's transfer window in the league table's lowest quintile.

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=112%3Afulham-match-report-match-day-421-our-421st-consecutive-match-in-the-premier-league&Itemid=57

WhiteJC

Looking for a Positive!

Martin Jol looked a little bemused sat on the bench yesterday lunchtime.

Whether it was the fact Fulham were being turned over by Wes Ham or the fact that he`d lost two of his best players on transfer deadline day, is hard to say.

But, after the 3-0 defeat, Jol spoke about the sudden changes to his squad and the performance of one player yesterday, remarking to the press hacks,

"Dembele? I really felt he would have stayed with us at Fulham, because £15 million is a big clause."

"ButTottenham, they paid up and they always do that from my time at White Hart Lane. It made life miserable for me."

"I tried everything in the transfer window but we missed out on a couple of player son Friday and, in the end, we have to be happy that Berbatov is here and Rodallega and Petric."

"The only positive here was to see Berbatov again and to see his class and quality. I have missed it."

"Berbatov bought other players into play and that is his talent. Hopefully, with Bryan Ruiz available for the next match we should be a bit more positive."

I hope so because we`ve now lost three on the bounce and that is not an ideal start to the season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=292342#ixzz25NHQYSfj

WhiteJC

Jol and Hangeland annoyed
Skipper admits they knew what was coming but didn't deal with it

Brede Hangeland: Disappointed that Fulham gave themselves a mountain to climb

Fulham boss Martin Jol and captain Brede Hangeland shared the same frustration after the Cottagers' 3-0 defeat at West Ham.

First-half goals from Kevin Nolan, Winston Reid and Matty Taylor were enough to effectively end the game as a contest by the interval at Upton Park.

And the biggest concern for manager and skipper was that Fulham were so troubled by a failure to deal with the Hammers' aerial threat and the subsequent knockdowns from Andy Carroll.

"We expected to have a lot of possession but we did not defend well enough on the things we knew they were good at, so that is something that needs to improve," Hangeland told Fulham's official website.

"It was the worst possible start and we gave ourselves a big mountain to climb; too big.

"We lost the game in the first half and even though we improved in the second half there was too much work to do."

Disappointing

Jol added: "Normally to analyse a team like Chelsea or Manchester United it is difficult but with West Ham it is easier.

"We know that they will play the long ball and look for knockdowns and the first goal is disappointing because we spoke about it, we did not pick up at the end of the first long ball.

"The second goal was a corner kick and the third goal was the same, a big ball and a knockdown and we didn't pick up the second ball."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8044274?

WhiteJC

Match Report: West Ham 3-0 Fulham (Fulham Fan's Perspective)

Fulham went to Upton Park on Saturday and were beaten pretty well by West Ham 3-0 in their first London derby of the season. This was a match that new West Ham player Andy Carroll had so much influence in without even scoring a goal. Unfortunately, Fulham could not handle the West Ham striker, and he was a huge part of the victory for his team.

West Ham took control in the very first minute as a long ball pass to Carroll was headed to Ricardo Vaz Te, who passed it to Kevin Nolan, and he scored the first goal of the match. This was a terrible way to start the match as it really set the tone for the first half.

The lead doubled in the 29th minute, as a corner a corner kick from Matthew Taylor led to the header by Winston Reid which got by Fulham goakleeper Mark Schwarzer to increase the lead to 2-0 for West Ham. Fulham were really struggling in this match at this point.

To make it even worse Taylor scored a goal in the 41st minute to give West Ham the eventual halftime lead of 3-0. The long balls, and the play of Carroll gave the Fulham defenders fits, and were a huge part of the halftime lead for West Ham.

The second half honestly I thought Fulham played much better, and Dimitar Berbatov came in to begin the half as he was an influence from the very beginning. It didn't take long to see his ability and class as a player.

You could really see Berbatov's influence in the second half. Also Fulham were really close to scoring a goal late in the match. Hugo Rodallega hit the post in the 88th minute, and it just was not meant to be for Fulham as they went down 3-0 to West Ham.

This was a bad loss for Fulham, but there is absolutely no reason to panic for Fulham fans. West Ham lost the week before 3-0 to Swansea, and looked horrible. They bounced back very nicely against Fulham.

I do think the loss of not having creative players like Bryan Ruiz and Kerim Frei hurt the club a great deal in this match. Also, Fulham manager Martin Jol didn't bring Berbatov in until the second half, and also brought on Alex Kacaniklic midway through the half as well.

One bad loss does not mean that the season is headed in a negative way. Let's see how Fulham play in their next match, and the upcoming games instead of overreacting negatively to a thrashing at Upton Park.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2012/09/02/match-report-west-ham-3-0-fulham-fulham-fans-perspective/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=match-report-west-ham-3-0-fulham-fulham-fans-perspective

WhiteJC

U21s 1 Crystal Palace 4

Fulham's Under-21s were beaten 4-1 by Crystal Palace at Motspur Park on Sunday.

Palace took the lead in the 12th minute through Kwesi Appiah, but Marcello Trotta levelled for the Whites on the stroke of half-time.

The Eagles, though, took just four minutes after the break to go back in front through Bayan Fenwick, with Ibra Sekajja making it 3-1 shortly before the hour mark.

Appiah then wrapped up the win with his second of the game to make it 4-1 on 75 minutes.

Fulham Team: Somogyi, Brister, Kavanagh, Pritchard (Minkwitz 65), Burn, Grimmer, R Williams, Smith, Trotta, Donegan (Dalla Valle 60), Banya. Subs (not used): Bettinelli, Altman, Islamovic.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/02/u21s-1-crystal-palace-4?

WhiteJC

Fulham star impressed by former Man Utd and Spurs man

Brede Hangeland thinks Dimitar Berbatov can have a big impact at Craven Cottage

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland was delighted to see Dimitar Berbatov make his first appearance for the Cottagers against West Ham on Saturday, despite their disappointing 3-0 defeat.

Berbatov sealed his move from from Manchester United to Fulham on deadline day and showed glimpses of his quality after coming off the bench at Upton Park.

"He showed what we knew," Hangeland told Fulham's official website.

"He is a quality player and we are really happy to have him on board.

"So we look forward to him helping us out."

The Norwegian rued Fulham's disastrous first half showing against the Hammers but is looking forward to getting back on track after the international break.

"We lost the game in the first half and even though we improved in the second half it was too much work to do.

"Hopefully we will get a good result next time."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_impressed_by_former_man_utd_and_spurs_man_1_1502267?

WhiteJC

Where's Mousa going? Berbatov disappointed by Dembele sale to Tottenham

Fulham manager Martin Jol has revealed Dimitar Berbatov was looking forward to playing with Mousa Dembele, only to be told the Belgium star was leaving for Tottenham.

Berbatov made his debut as a substitute in Fulham's 3-0 defeat by West Ham on Saturday and would have benefited from having someone of Dembele's quality alongside him.

What do you mean he's gone? Dimitar Berbatov (right) was disappointed Mousa Dembele left Fulham

Now that Dembele and Clint Dempsey have gone, the Bulgarian will be the focal point of Jol's side. Jol said: 'You build teams around good players – and Berbatov is excellent quality.

'He showed exactly that when I was at Spurs. It's about finding the right balance. If players come back it will be OK and maybe we have to change the system. With Dembele it was different.

'He [Berbatov] really looked forward to playing with Dembele. The first thing he said to me was, "Where's Dembele going?" and I had to say he's going to Spurs. He was disappointed.

'He was told that before his medical, but luckily we managed to keep him in the building.

What a start: Dembele scored a goal in his debut against Norwich

'We've made money but the problem is that we've not had enough time to spend it.'

Berbatov looked a bit rusty when he came on and lost possession easily on occasion but there were a few sublime touches and he set up chances for Damien Duff and Hugo Rodallega late in the game.

With the midfield lacking the creativity and drive of Dembele and the attack shorn of Dempsey's poaching ability, Berbatov's guile will be crucial to Fulham. He should relish his leading role.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2197264/Dimitar-Berbatov-disappointed-sale-Mousa-Dembele.html#ixzz25NJ4sehT

WhiteJC

Jol plays down Ruiz injury fears

MARTIN Jol is confident Bryan Ruiz will be fit for Fulham's clash with West Brom in a fortnight's time after missing Saturday's defeat at West Ham with a hamstring injury.

The Costa Rican picked up the problem in the warm-up to Wednesday night's League Cup defeat to Sheffield Wednesday.

Jol was hopeful the forward would be available to line up against the Hammers, but a second scan on Friday revealed he had suffered a slight tear to his hamstring.

However, the Dutchman says Ruiz should be ready to return to action after the international break.

He said: "We thought there might be a chance he could play but it was impossible for him because he got a little tear and we couldn't take the risk.

"Hopefully he will be available for the next match

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/02/82029-31750933/?#ixzz25NJcyXK7

Lighthouse

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson admitted David De Gea was dropped for his mistake against Fulham.

Keeper De Gea was at fault for Fulham's second goal in United's 3-2 win last week and Anders Lindegaard took the gloves at Southampton.

Sitting out: David De Gea was named on the bench at Southampton
Woops: De Gea played a part in Fulham's second goal against United
  The Dane also had a couple of shaky moments as United won 3-2 again and Ferguson expects to bring De Gea back for the next Premier League match against Wigan after the international break.
'I think young David made a mistake last week (against Fulham),' Ferguson told Sky Sports.

'He knows it. 'With the form he's been in, he's been making some fantastic saves but one error like that could have cost us the game.

'It's just a learning process for him and he'll be back in a couple of weeks after the international break.
'Anders had his first game. I thought he was a little bit nervous at points but he's a very good keeper also. I don't think it's a big issue but it's something you have to deal with

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2197472/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-dropped-David-De-Gea-Fulham-blunder.html#ixzz25OYXewO1
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

Jol sets challenge for new Fulham winger

Ashkan Dejagah

MARTIN Jol wants new signing Ashkan Dejagah to battle it out with Damien Duff for Fulham's ring-wing spot.

The deadline-day arrival from Wolfsburg was ineligible for Saturday's defeat at West Ham, but could be in contention for the clash against West Brom in a fortnight's time.

Duff has had an impressive start to the season after his decision to retire from international football, with two goals in the opening four games.

However, boss Jol hopes Dejagah can fight it out with the Irishman for a place in the starting XI.

He said: "I played against him and have followed him for the past four or five years. He can play in a 4-4-2 as a real winger.

"He's quick and has got a good cross so that's good for us to have two players who can compete for a spot."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/03/82029-31751189/?#ixzz25Pwtw4ku

WhiteJC

Opta Evaluation

The Whites' hoodoo against London rivals West Ham United continued at the weekend as we went down 3-0 at Upton Park.

The scoreline suggests the game was one-way traffic but the Opta statistics in our Match Centre prove that the hosts didn't have everything their own way.

While the Hammers just pipped us in the shot count with 16 attempts to our 15, Martin Jol's side actually dominated in terms of efforts on target. Jussi Jääskeläinen needed to be on form throughout as he kept out our nine goal-bound attempts, whereas West Ham managed only six efforts on target. Unfortunately for Fulham, though, half of them found the back of the net.

The key to the home side's victory was evidently the aerial threat posed by new loan signing Andy Carroll and he was the game's dominant force in the air. He won nine aerial duels, three more than our Captain Brede Hangeland.

When the ball was on the floor it was the Whites who had the better of the play. We enjoyed 54.9 per cent of possession and made exactly 100 more attempted passes than West Ham.

Mahamadou Diarra was our biggest creative influence in terms of balls played into the final third. The Malian managed 21 attacking passes, compared to Mark Noble's 11 - the highest by any Hammers player.

The East London side's physicality was evident also in the foul count as they notched up 12 infringements to Fulham's five. We could also claim to have the most successful tackler on the field, with Steve Sidwell successfully robbing West Ham players on eight occasions.

View the Opta Stats from the game in full by heading to our Match Centre here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/03/opta-evaluation?

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Fulham youngster Corey Gameiro made a second-half appearance as FC Eindhoven lost 4-1 at FC Volendam on Friday.

The highly-rated 19-year-old Australian striker only sealed his move to the Dutch outfit on the day of the game, but was introduced in the 64th minute.

He will hope to feature from the start when Eindhoven take on Helmond Sport on Friday 14th September.

Meanwhile, Richard Peniket made his debut as a substitute as Kidderminster Harriers drew 1-1 at Barrow on Saturday.

The Wales Under-21 striker, who spent time at League Two Hereford United last season, linked up with the Blue Square Bet Premier Harriers on a four-month youth loan last week.

Harriers are away to Braintree Town on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

In the same division, Marcus Bettinelli was again named in goal as Dartford secured their third win in a row with a 5-1 thumping of Alfreton Town on Saturday.

A Harry Crawford hat-trick set the Darts on their way. They host Newport County on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/03/loan-roundup?

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Cottagers experience a worrying start to the season

The Cottagers are perennial poor travellers in the Premier League - only seven away wins in the last three seasons will tell you that - and so the weekend's defeat at West Ham did not come as a complete surprise. However, Fulham's poor performance, particularly in their first half horror show, will have left both the fans and manager Martin Jol deflated.

A week that begun so promisingly with their superb performance in defeat at Old Trafford has ended with the Cottagers in complete disarray following their midweek Capital One Cup exit to Sheffield Wednesday and the departures of arguably their two best players in Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey.

While Dempsey's move away from Craven Cottage has long been mooted, the loss of Dembele, who had been at the heart of Fulham's previously encouraging start to the season, has left a shadow over the football club.

Fulham's performance at Upton Park proved to be shambolic at times, the Cottagers were brutally overpowered by the Hammers at times, with the Craven Cottage outfit looking particularly vulnerable with Andy Carroll attacks.

As the likes of Steve Sidwell and new recruit Kieran Richardson toiled, the Dembele shaped hole in the middle of the park for Fulham only grew larger and larger. The Belgian gave their midfield a change of pace with his powerful forward running and while Sidwell is an honest player, Dembele's craft and creativity were sorely lacking.

At the back, the Cottagers will not be facing forwards such as Andy Carroll every week but one would expect that with the giant Brede Hangeland in the Fulham rearguard, that they would have coped a little better with Carroll's threat. The ease with which Carroll caused sheer panic in the Fulham defence will have concerned Jol.

The one positive for the Cottagers is the performance off the bench from their deadline day signing, Dimitar Berbatov. The ex United player showed in his cameo appearance that he retains the hunger to match his undoubted skill and combined well with strike partner Hugo Rodallega.

As we head into the international break, Jol will have much to ponder as he looks to rebuild Fulham's faltering start to the campaign. Berbatov will undoubtedly be key and Jol will need to have him fit and firing on all cylinders if the Cottagers are to sparkle this season without Dempsey and Dembele. Keeping Bryan Ruiz fit will also be essential. The Costa Rican missed the West Ham defeat due to injury but potentially, Ruiz and Berbatov can be a potent partnership.

The West Ham defeat leaves Fulham reeling for the next two weeks but at least their next match sees them return to the home comforts of Craven Cottage. Indeed, the visit of in-form West Brom represents an opportunity for Jol and Fulham to bring some much needed feel good factor back to the club, after a week of such despair and disappointment.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_16527_fulham-focus-cottagers-experience-a-worrying-start-to-the-season.html

WhiteJC

Hughes Reflects

Aaron Hughes rued Fulham's slow start to Saturday's encounter at Upton Park as three first half goals handed West Ham United victory.

"It was a disappointing first half," the centre-back admitted to fulhamfc.com. "We had a few errors and obviously that cost us. It's a hard place to come anyway – we knew they'd be working hard so when we gave away easy goals it was always going to be an uphill task.

"We made sure we didn't concede anymore so that we could try and get ourselves back in the game and maybe we chased it a little bit. We had a few chances but the damage was done in the first half."

West Ham handed a debut to Andy Carroll and the target man certainly made his presence felt as he played a part in each of the goals.

The England striker's performance epitomised the robust display by the home side but Aaron explained that the physicality of Sam Allardyce's team came as no surprise.

"Carroll will be a good signing for them and it was a big game for him," he said. "It was always going to be a difficult task because they're a big side anyway. Even when Carroll was [substituted] off, they were able to bring on Carlton Cole who's a big, strong lad.

"So you know when you come to West Ham that it's going to be physical, it's going to be tough and you have to match that and we fell a little bit short of that in the first half. Second half we were a bit better but it was too late by then and we were just chasing the game."

Carroll was not the only new signing on display as Dimitar Berbatov made his Fulham bow as a half-time replacement for Mladen Petric.

The Bulgarian made an immediate impact as his deft touches and clever flicks helped lay on multiple chances for his new team mates.

"Dimitar is a big signing, a massive signing for us," Aaron said of our new number nine. "Even in the short period of time that he was on, some of his touches and the way he held the ball up showed that he's going to be a great signing for us.

"Hopefully as the season goes on we'll have plenty more of that to come."

A further frustration of the 3-0 defeat to our London rivals is the amount of time before we have the opportunity to get back to winning ways.

A full international programme means that we are not in action again until the visit of West Bromwich Albion on 15th September.

"No matter where you play or where you go, any time you're on international break you always want to try and get a good result before everyone breaks up for a couple of weeks," said Hughes ahead of meeting up with his Northern Ireland colleagues.

"So the West Ham result makes the two weeks until West Brom feel even longer. We're disappointed with that as it would have been nice to get something before we go away but that hasn't been the case so we've just got to go out, stay fit and do well for our countries and come back ready for the next game at Craven Cottage."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/03/hughes-reflects?

WhiteJC

Fulham fans should ignore the media's negativity

Not that most of the Fulham fans are panicking, but a pockets of the support seem to have reacted nervously to what they saw at Upton Park on Saturday.

West Ham with a new signing, a lifted crowd, Upton Park... losing at West Ham has never been a particularly accurate barometer of where a team is heading, because it's just one of those results that happens. The Hammers are traditionally a side who are capable of playing anyone off the pitch on their own turf, just as they can frequently be dreadful when the players aren't in the right mood – that's something deeply engrained within the club, and doesn't seem to change with the starting eleven.

Moussa Dembele's departure is an issue, of course it is, but there's enough about this side to overcome the Belgian's departure. Yes, Martin Jol will now miss Dembele's ability to knit the play together and create from deeper positions, but don't underestimate how much Dimitar Berbatov can contribute in that area.

Anyone who saw him play during his time at Tottenham will know of the Bulgarian's creative abilities, and appreciate that – while employed primarily as a forward – he's a fully-gifted playmaker. As and when he's given a start in this Fulham side, watch him drop deep into the play and make a far more three-dimensional contribution than his 'goal-scorer' tag suggests he's capable of.

Manchester United never really utilised that side of the game, but Berbatov is an extraordinarily elegant footballer with a wonderful subtlety to his game. Dembele hasn't been replaced – and nor can he be now, but Martin Jol will likely alter the way his side plays as a result. Everything will now go through Berbatov, and that's good news – he spots runs in behind defenders that other players don't see, he holds the ball-up as well as any targetman, and he sucks defenders with his bewitching ability on the ball. He could play at any club in the country, and if used in the right way he would be an asset. The good news for Fulham? Jol knows exactly how to get the most out of him – there were times at White Hart Lane when Berbatov was peerless, absolutely majestic.

A couple of media outlets have, in light of the departures, already dismissed Fulham's hopes of finishing in the top-half of the table – that's premature nonsense. This is a good side, with talented players in it, and a manager who specialises in extracting the greatest possible value out of his squad.

Nobody should have any concerns; Fulham will be different now, but they won't be any worse.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/fulham-fans-should-ignore-the-medias-negativity/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fulham-fans-should-ignore-the-medias-negativity

WhiteJC

Jol swayed Berba Fulham's way

Dimitar Berbatov's agent has confirmed he spoke to Spurs last week but the player admits Martin Jol was key to him joining Fulham.
Berbatov held a press conference in Sofia today where he did not reverse his international retirement and told reporters he was disappointed by Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson "as a person".

"I felt bad about it, I don't think I deserved this treatment as I was the top scorer. However, the manager told me that the game is changing and that I'm becoming a little useless. I have my dignity, I tried to fight but it didn't work out," he said.

Ferguson had revealed the 31-year-old striker was possibly on his way back to White Hart Lane on Friday and agent Emil Danchev admitted he held talks with Tottenham officials - with only Spurs, Fulham and Fiorentina left in the running from the 12 clubs who were initially interested as the transfer deadline approached.

However, Berbatov dismissed claims that he agreed to go to Italy or that he said 'Yes I'll play for you' to Fiorentina and Juventus.

The striker is happy to have linked up again with Jol, his former boss at Spurs, at Craven Cottage where he knows he will get the chance to showcase his talent.

"I know we won't win in every game, but I will have the opportunity to enjoy my football and play regularly," he added.

"But for me the most important thing was that at Fulham I [would be] working with a man who I always liked and I'd like to work together [with him] again.

"The other day I played for Fulham and we was losing 3-0, but I felt like we were leading 6-0, I'm playing for a coach for which I'll die."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Jol-swayed-Berba-Fulham's-way-1464931.html?#.UETCnkK_wds

WhiteJC

Berbatov rules out international return

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov has decided against a return to international duty for Bulgaria.

Berbatov quit his national team back in 2010 but coach Lyuboslav Penev wanted him to return for his side's upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

But the 31-year-old, who is Bulgaria's all-time top goalscorer, has confirmed that he will not return to the international set-up.

"The choice I made in the past still stands today," said Berbatov, who completed a £4m move to Fulham on deadline day.

"I haven't been in the national squad for two years, I have certain habits of life, practice. My time is passing, it is time for you to look for somebody else.

"I hope that you will find him. I know that the boys will do well without me."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/120903/berbatov-rules-out-international-return-180153?#fXUFs5LI1CUzxrZk.99

WhiteJC

Agent: Spurs made late Berba bid
Tottenham made a last-ditch attempt to re-sign Dimitar Berbatov on transfer deadline day, according to the Bulgarian striker's agent.

Berbatov moved from Manchester United to Fulham for £5million on Friday, but only after Sir Alex Ferguson had hinted he could be bound for White Hart Lane.

Emil Danchev, the 31-year-old's representative, has revealed there was interest from Spurs, who signed Berbatov from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006 before selling him to United for £19.9million profit two years later.

"We were in touch with Tottenham at the last moment," Danchev told reporters at a press conference with Berbatov held in Sofia.

Berbatov provoked the ire of Fiorentina and Juventus for allegedly breaking promises to join both Serie A clubs in favour of staying in the Premier League.

Danchev defended Berbatov and revealed there was considerable interest in from various clubs.

"I cannot make promises on behalf of my client whoever they might be because my work principle is to create opportunities and options," he said.

"The choice belongs to the person who makes the decision. We discussed all three options. Nobody promised anybody anything.

"Fiorentina had a desire to get Dimitar to sign with them. We went as far as negotiating all conditions.

"But other than that, I've also spoken with three Turkish clubs, three Italian clubs, three English clubs, and three German clubs."

Fulham duo Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey moved to White Hart Lane last week, the latter a late deadline-day transfer completed once interest from Liverpool had waned.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol has revealed that Berbatov was looking forward to playing alongside Dembele, only to discover that he had been sold to Tottenham.

http://www.football365.com/fulham/8048718/-?

WhiteJC

Berbatov silences Viola and Juve

Dimitar Berbatov has hit back at Fiorentina and Juventus after he snubbed them to join Fulham.

The Bulgarian left Manchester United for the London outfit last week, but only after he had allegedly broken promises with both Italian outfits.

He has since been criticised by representatives of both Serie A sides.

"Some clubs wanted me, other clubs wanted me, but I never made pledges to anybody that I wanted to play for them," he stated on Monday.

"I said yes to Fulham, but I never told the other two clubs that cried foul that I will play for them," he continued.

"I choose where to play. It is normal for Fiorentina to be disappointed. When it doesn't work out, one may feel betrayed but I care for my interests, the opinions of people closest to me, and that's it."

It is understood that the player, who won't be facing Italy this week after rejecting an international recall, opted to remain in England for family reasons.

"For some people Fulham might be a small team, but maybe I am not the same person I was two years ago," he added. "I need to get used to their game rhythm now."

http://www.football-italia.net/24659/berbatov-silences-viola-and-juve?