watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

automatic censorship?

Started by HatterDon, March 26, 2010, 02:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Now I still don't think it's all that clever to convert any mention of The Undead's name to "the dark side," but that isn't why I'm posting this. It's about Scunthorpe United. The little asterisk substitution is cute to some, I suppose, but it's serving the purpose to highlight the missing letters, not to suppress them. If this is something that is built into the server, then I guess I can live with it, but if this feature is the choice of the admins, could we quietly dispense with it? I mean, I can glance at the CCC table on any site or in the newspaper and not be offended by the name, but any mention of the side on these pages results in the reader's attention being drawn to the missing letters. I assume this is funny when you're 12 or 13, but come on.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

...HD, the reference to that other team in Fulham as 'the dark side' is perfectly recognisable as being that team who play in the darker strip and who share the SW6 postcode - does anyone ever complain to Gentleman Jim for his commentary where he has never, ever referred to the other team by their proper name - more often than not this deliberate trait to not acknowledge them is applauded as being amusing, and for the same reason FOF excludes the mention of said team, and saves people typing 'Scum' 'The Filth' and even 'the undead'.

Re the Scunnie auto censorship, I was not aware of that, and if the Beeb show it so should we as we have no rivalry with that club. On the very old official MB Airfix and Equalizer managed to get around the very same censorship, no idea how, but they were very naughty lads back then...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WhiteJC

HD, I've had a look at the settings and I've found that I can 'allow' Scunthorpe but change cnut.
Whilst currently most of the users of this MB are adult males, some are not, hence the auto censorship. LB's reasoning behind 'the dark side' conversion we believe stops some of the posts degenerating into name calling, its the lessor of two evils?

HatterDon

thanks one and all.

Glad you read and considered and responded.

On to Hull
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

:005: Scunthorpe  :005:

There is always one that proves the rule.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope