watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The lads and Klinsman

Started by YankeeJim, September 12, 2012, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichabod Magoo

Every country fielded a bunch of reserves for the most part.  The U.S. has proven we are deeper than anybody else.  This is really a testament to Klinsman changing the style and mentality to a more attacking personality even though some have accused him of being technically challenged.  It's taken awhile to set in, but they are getting there.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

YankeeJim

Well, the US managed to win the Gold Cup despite a strong effort by a pacey, big & rough Panama team. I don't think Donavan started since I didn't see him in the first half. He did come alive in the second half, missed two sitters and had a hand in the winning goal. Rimaldo is a decent keeper. His distribution is good and his feet on the ball are excellent. Shea got the winner on a play I'm going to elaborate on in the main forum. I have a question for our betters in the plantation house.  DaBeas played well as did Beckerman & Bedoya. How did EJ sky that ball over the net from the 6 yard line? Besler was solid & my MOTH match is either Goodsen and/or Mix. Goodesn was solid all day and Mix changed the match when he came on. Holden....lets hope the knee turns out to be nothing. The TV said he bumped knees but it looked to me that he bumped his left knee and landed oddly on the right one. I hope I'm wrong.

Oh! and the ref stunk. Why isn't something done? We're richer than those south of the border so we ought to be able to come up with a fatter envelope.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

cottagecornerreject

Hate it for Holden. He's the soul of that team. Plus he's a Clemson man. Any news on how bad Shea injury that he took in the philadelphia exhibition is?

Forever Fulham

I've seen Shea play well at times (spurts more like it) for FC Dallas.  But i think he's a knucklehead without discipline.  He'd never be in my starting 11.  Have they given a timeline for Holden's recovery?  He's the real deal.

CanadianCottager

Got to say, the US really demonstrated themselves to be heads and shoulders above the rest of the hex depth wise at this Gold Cup. I'm still very curious to see how them and Costa Rica will stack up against each other with their respective first 11s but the US won this cup with a completely reserve side at a walking pace. Literally the only two teams to give them a run for their money were Panama and Costa Rica who brought about half of their starting 11s from the hex. I was skeptical of herr Jurgen but I have to say he's won me over.

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 08, 2013, 05:29:23 PM
I've seen Shea play well at times (spurts more like it) for FC Dallas.  But i think he's a knucklehead without discipline.  He'd never be in my starting 11.  Have they given a timeline for Holden's recovery?  He's the real deal.
Shea is a knucklehead. Definitely not a rhodes scholar but appeared to be playing better and getting back into stokes good graces before his injury. Holden is an ACL so imagine another year.

YankeeJim

After today, is Jozy for real?

BarryP

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

AmericanJames

The free kick today??? My gosh, still a bit unsure if he can do it for Sunderland though. I hope I'm wrong.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

YankeeJim

Chapter 10 of the qualifying.
I guess I am now a Klinsman man. With half the US quality sitting out due to various knocks, we still managed to put out a strong effort against a game Panama side. We did play 12 against 11 since the ref was completely in our pocket. We has one definite penalty go uncalled and two strong shouts for a penalty handled likewise.
Guzan handed back Timmy's job with horrendous distribution in the first half (4 out of play kicks) and looking slow over all. Guess he doesn't have webbed feet.
Goodson will head south next year but not likely onto a pitch baring injuries.
Bedoya likewise just because he busts his hump.
Zusi didn't have a good day at the office but came up big when it mattered. He still tracks back better than most others.
Castillo was at a loss in the first half but came out stronger on the attack in the second half. Trouble is he is supposed to be a defender and based on that, I suggest a new rod & reel for next summer.
Beckerman breaks up a few plays and puts out great effort but he just isn't good enough for Brazil.
Diskerud will be a star but he isn't there yet.
Kljestan, Boyd, Evans & Davis- see Beckerman.
Jozy. Is there a more Zamora act alike (on the pitch, not attitude) than this guy. He has developed a strong hold up game but needs someone running off him to be effective.
Aronson. Now this is an interesting chap. I think come 2018 the US mids will be the strength of the squad. With Diskerud & a in prime Bradley this guy will look great either alongside Jozy or in the hole behind him.

Overall, great Hex mediocre final match.

COME ON YOU KIWIS!

valdeingruo

Totally agree with you YJ, we have quite a squad to look forward to internationally if the players youve highlighted continue on their upward trajectory.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Forever Fulham

What's the latest on Holden's condition?  When did he have his surgery?

valdeingruo

Its sad about Holden's luck, or lack there of he looked like the US' big hope in midfield, though i am glad bradley made that step up. I dont know a date of return but he is rehabing and seems to be in good spirits about it, even though this is number 3
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

btings

I don't know how far we'll go, but I love this squad and the mentality Klinsman's brought. It will serve us well in the future regardless, I think.  This was supposed to be the WC that our best players were aging and nobody was there to replace them, but suddenly we have depth and purpose.  I've gained a lot of respect for a lot of our squad over the last year, and I love the fact that suddenly the US is a team young players want to get cap-tied to.

A quick note on Aron Johannsson. I don't know how many saw the game (I was on a plane, but somehow the flight magically had BeIN Sport), but in addition to his goal he had an earlier chance when he got the ball  with his back to goal about 20 yards out, took a touch, spun, and put in a ridiculous curler that nearly caught the back post. It was done effortlessly.  If his game improves, I'm not sure the US will have had someone quite like him.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 16, 2013, 10:39:05 PM
Chapter 10 of the qualifying.
I guess I am now a Klinsman man. With half the US quality sitting out due to various knocks, we still managed to put out a strong effort against a game Panama side. We did play 12 against 11 since the ref was completely in our pocket. We has one definite penalty go uncalled and two strong shouts for a penalty handled likewise.
Guzan handed back Timmy's job with horrendous distribution in the first half (4 out of play kicks) and looking slow over all. Guess he doesn't have webbed feet.
Goodson will head south next year but not likely onto a pitch baring injuries.
Bedoya likewise just because he busts his hump.
Zusi didn't have a good day at the office but came up big when it mattered. He still tracks back better than most others.
Castillo was at a loss in the first half but came out stronger on the attack in the second half. Trouble is he is supposed to be a defender and based on that, I suggest a new rod & reel for next summer.
Beckerman breaks up a few plays and puts out great effort but he just isn't good enough for Brazil.
Diskerud will be a star but he isn't there yet.
Kljestan, Boyd, Evans & Davis- see Beckerman.
Jozy. Is there a more Zamora act alike (on the pitch, not attitude) than this guy. He has developed a strong hold up game but needs someone running off him to be effective.
Aronson. Now this is an interesting chap. I think come 2018 the US mids will be the strength of the squad. With Diskerud & a in prime Bradley this guy will look great either alongside Jozy or in the hole behind him.

Overall, great Hex mediocre final match.

COME ON YOU KIWIS!
I would like to see what Kljestan could do in the starting 11 along side LD, Dempsey, Bradley, and Altidore. Not saying I know what the outcome would be for sure, but since Klinsmann has taken over, I don't think he has had the opportunity to actually play in a regular side in the middle. This after being a fairly regular guy for Bradley. The most ironic thing is he probably fits Klinsmann's style more than Bradley's. An odd situation to me.

If nothing else, he can score a free kick goal. I don't think the U.S. scored one in the entire Hex.

Forever Fulham

I was just thinking along the same lines as you re: Kljestan.  He's proven he can stand in the fire in big tournament games.  What's going on? 

YankeeJim

Nil-Nil with power house Scotland.
Now this was a boring match. For a while there we looked liked a Jol team, passing left, right and back with little going forward.
My man DeBeas while still my favorite player, needs to improve defensively. EJ really isn't ready for prime time. While he is a lot better than he was at FFC, he doesn't have the first touch or the control for the international level. I had high hopes for Omar Gonzales but I think pulling his hair back into that little bun in back has squeezed his brain. This guy is the USA's Senderos. Good in the air, strong but way, way too many mistakes. Cameron is a fantastic squad player, bring able to back up at several positions but also not ready for prime time. Perhaps, if he played the same position two games in a row he'd be better. I like Bedoya. I think he'll get better. I'm not a Sacha Kljestan fan but he did ok today. Jermaine Jones is growing on me and Michael Bradley would look fantastic in black & white. Jozy looked a bit like the initial Bobby Zamora. He held the ball well when it finally would get to him but his shooting was off target. Based on today, I can't understand why Fletcher is starting for Sunderland. He couldn't shoot either and he couldn't hold the ball up at all. Evans, see Cameron & EJ. Timmay is a quality keeper. Mix will be fantastic in 2018. Shea was surprising. His first touch is weak but he seems to have recovered his pace since the injury. The other subs didn't do much. EXCEPT for Aron Jóhannsson. I'm beginning to think this kid would b do well in a 4-4-2, paired with Jozy. This pairing seems a natural to me but since Klinsman gets paid to make these decisions and I don't and he has proven me wrong several times in the past, I'll defer to his wisdom. Course, if he doesn't start Aron Jóhannsson  in the next friendly I'll revert to my criticism.  :022:

YankeeJim

I'm convinced that Gonzalez is the USA's Senderos. He had a great view of Austia's goal as he was caught ball watching and was way to slow to cover Brooks. Cameron looked good at fullback. I was disappointed by Aron Jóhannsson. He isn't a playmaker & IMHO, he would fare better as a forward pairing with Jozy.
The center back position is the teams main weak point. Brooks might be the answer but he looked a little out of sync with Gonzales. The US hasn't had a solid center back since Gooch took his knee and haven't had a good one since Eddie Pope. Oh well, trust in Klinsman. Maybe he'll find another that had a yank serviceman as a father. If we go into the WC with Gonzalez at CB, he'll get whiplash watching world class forwards run by him.

Logicalman

YJ, if you wanted to see an International Jol team, you needed to look no further than the England match against Chile! And then last night, I saw where we got this idea for passing ten times in the space of 20 yards from, before losing the ball.

Forever Fulham

Jermaine Jones isn't consistent in his play.  He makes me nervous.