News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do players resent higher wages paid to teammates?

Started by Senior Supporter, September 16, 2012, 01:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senior Supporter

There were some very interesting comments by Sam Allardyce on 'Goals on Sunday' today.

It is often claimed on here and elsewhere that, if a player's pay breaks the pay scale at a club, it will cause discontent amongst the squad. Not so claimed Sam, speaking about Berbatov in particular but players in general, and it had never happened at clubs he managed. Generally players were happy to have a highly-paid "superstar" in the lineup, not least because of the win bonuses it might bring. He said that he personally played alongside teammates who were paid four times his wages, and he was not bothered. He made the point that it was the players who agreed their own contracts, nobody forced them, and that, if they were re-negotiated it was on the basis of their own ability, not the pay of their teammates.

I can see his point when it comes to a player like Berbatov, and think there is possibly more chance of resentment between lesser players, on the basis of "why am I on £25k pw when X is no better than me and gets £30k?"

Oh, and he said he would have liked to sign Berbatov at West Ham, but couldn't afford him, and that we were interested in Carroll.

LRCN

LRCN

Burt

I resent the fact that some players get paid ludicrous sums of money. Not through jealousy, but more to do with the football "business" losing all sense of reality and value compared to other professions.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Burt on September 16, 2012, 07:10:01 PM
I resent the fact that some players get paid ludicrous sums of money. Not through jealousy, but more to do with the football "business" losing all sense of reality and value compared to other professions.

Interesting comments by Reading captain Jobi McAnuff in the Mail today.

http://t.co/axIqn2fg