watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not just some guy anymore

Started by Lighthouse, September 19, 2012, 11:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi has revealed his delight at being the goalkeeping face of Fulham.

The 27-year-old became the first signing of the Martin Jol era, joining the Whites during the summer of 2011.

And after impressing for the club's development squad last season, Somogyi is now hoping to push David Stockdale and No.1 Mark Schwarzer in the first team squad.

"I was surprised to see myself in a big photo, alongside Breder Hangeland and John Arne Riise, in the club's official shop," admitted Somogyi.

"I couldn't believe my eyes because I really didn't expect the club would advertise a goalkeeper's jersey with me.

"What pleases me more is that the picture will be there during the entire season."

And on his development at Craven Cottage, he said: "Martin Jol and goalkeeping coach Hans Segers have praised me. I'm a stable third-choice keeper now.

"There were two clubs that wanted to sign me on loan this summer, but I wasn't informed about it.

"But, anyway, Mr Jol said he doesn't want me to leave in case of a red card or an injury to Schwarzer or Stockdale."

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cottage cheese

you mean, he is happy to just sit on a wage rather than go out and get first team football. Anyone would be happy with that scenario...waste of money and space to me

To think of yourself as a stable 'third choice' goalie says it all.  Money over actually playing.

TonyGilroy

True but then we need to have a competent third choice keeper albeit he'll only be needed in emergency.

You have to wonder why, at 27, he's happy with that but we need someone who is.

cmg

"They also serve who only stand and wait."

Arthur Milton (the last man to play for England at both Football and Cricket)...
...or possibly his big brother, John.

BalDrick

Got to the ground super early on Saturday (9 year old son was with me, a budding keeper himself), we went and watched the three keepers being put through their paces before the game. Schwarzer and Stockers were there, I'm guessing the third was this guy (though it may have been the German guy I guess - not sure how his recuperation is going). Stockers was happy to sign my son's match programme, but Schwarzer was clearly in the zone and between shifts was just stretching and taking on board liquids. Whilst a bit gutted we didn't get his autograph, I came away thinking he was a real professional. Whereas I couldn't help thinking Stockers' attitude towards the whole thing was a tad lackadaisical. Very good of him to give us his autograph and everything but these were not the actions of someone getting into the zone for a match. Of course he wasn't playing but surely the whole point of him being out there is MS could have pulled a muscle or suffered some other injury, so Stockers would have played.

I should add this isn't just something I got from 5 minutes of standing behind the goal; after a while we took our seats (bloody hot in the sun) and continued watching the keepers warm up (as well as the outfield players), and throughout I really got the impression MS was taking the whole thing a lot more seriously than Stockers was.

MS went on to have a really good game - I know we ran out easy winners in the end but he still had 3 or 4 hard saves to make, all of which he made with aplomb. On a side note, my son and I (we both had our keeper heads on) were both very impressed with Ben Foster. Yep he let in 3 but I'm not sure any were savable really.

This isn't a character assassination of Stockers, and I may be completely wrong on this one, but it's an impression I got nonetheless. If any of you get to the Citeh match early on Saturday week (and half 2 is plenty early enough to see what I mean, though it was more like quarter past when we watched them from close up), see if you get the same feeling. MS is undroppable at the moment but I'm not convinced Stockers has the right attitude.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

When I watch the keepers warm up the thing that strikes me is how light on his feet Schwarzer is. Almost like a ballet dancer.

The contrast watching Stockdale, Smodgi or Etheridge doing the same exercises is very noticeable yet they're all much younger.

I think Mark could go on for a few years yet.

ffcbulgaria

Well you can look at it in another way. GK are rarely coming into the game therefore there's barely a point to make a ****load of stretches and do a warm up like you are starting. You have probably noticed that the people on the bench usually warm up in a more relaxed way than the people who are in the starting line-up so I think it applies for the keepers too and is not in fact him not being committed.

BalDrick

'I think Mark could go on for a few years yet.'

After Saturday, I'm inclined to agree. Thankless task Stockers' place right now and there's no way I can throw stones in a greenhouse for laziness, but I just got the sense MS would have been doing a lot more at DS' age.

BalDrick

Quote from: ffcbulgaria on September 20, 2012, 09:32:30 AM
Well you can look at it in another way. GK are rarely coming into the game therefore there's barely a point to make a ****load of stretches and do a warm up like you are starting. You have probably noticed that the people on the bench usually warm up in a more relaxed way than the people who are in the starting line-up so I think it applies for the keepers too and is not in fact him not being committed.

Ah but for keepers, it's more getting mentally warmed up. Which MS was doing, to almost a Zen-like state, whereas DS gave off the appearance he was just having a kickabout with the lads in the park. Just the impression I got I hasten to add, I may be totally wrong.

epsomraver

Quote from: BalDrick on September 20, 2012, 09:07:04 AM
Got to the ground super early on Saturday (9 year old son was with me, a budding keeper himself), we went and watched the three keepers being put through their paces before the game. Schwarzer and Stockers were there, I'm guessing the third was this guy (though it may have been the German guy I guess - not sure how his recuperation is going). Stockers was happy to sign my son's match programme, but Schwarzer was clearly in the zone and between shifts was just stretching and taking on board liquids. Whilst a bit gutted we didn't get his autograph, I came away thinking he was a real professional. Whereas I couldn't help thinking Stockers' attitude towards the whole thing was a tad lackadaisical. Very good of him to give us his autograph and everything but these were not the actions of someone getting into the zone for a match. Of course he wasn't playing but surely the whole point of him being out there is MS could have pulled a muscle or suffered some other injury, so Stockers would have played.

I should add this isn't just something I got from 5 minutes of standing behind the goal; after a while we took our seats (bloody hot in the sun) and continued watching the keepers warm up (as well as the outfield players), and throughout I really got the impression MS was taking the whole thing a lot more seriously than Stockers was.

MS went on to have a really good game - I know we ran out easy winners in the end but he still had 3 or 4 hard saves to make, all of which he made with aplomb. On a side note, my son and I (we both had our keeper heads on) were both very impressed with Ben Foster. Yep he let in 3 but I'm not sure any were savable really.

This isn't a character assassination of Stockers, and I may be completely wrong on this one, but it's an impression I got nonetheless. If any of you get to the Citeh match early on Saturday week (and half 2 is plenty early enough to see what I mean, though it was more like quarter past when we watched them from close up), see if you get the same feeling. MS is undroppable at the moment but I'm not convinced Stockers has the right attitude.

No pleasing you is there? If Stockdale had like Mark refused to sign your autograph you would have moaned about him being a stuck up B, he didn't need to be so focused at that point, he wasn't playing! perhaps as he is younger he doesn't have to try so hard to get warmed up, if you watch the other players warming up, some are very serious, some laugh and joke and clown around, doesn't mean they are no more commited.

BalDrick

Quote from: epsomraver on September 20, 2012, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: BalDrick on September 20, 2012, 09:07:04 AM

No pleasing you is there? If Stockdale had like Mark refused to sign your autograph you would have moaned about him being a stuck up B, he didn't need to be so focused at that point, he wasn't playing! perhaps as he is younger he doesn't have to try so hard to get warmed up, if you watch the other players warming up, some are very serious, some laugh and joke and clown around, doesn't mean they are no more commited.

On the contrary, as I have been at pains to point out, this is not me having a go at all. I appreciate, and more to the point my son appreciated, the autograph thing hugely - his first ever game and he comes away with the programme signed by someone who plays in the same position as him = brilliant.

Everything else is just an observation, which may or may not provoke discussion/thought. Perhaps it's just because MS is such a pro that anyone else alongside him would look amateurish, I don't know, it was the first time I've made a point of properly watching keepers warm up (I'm usually in the pub at this stage!). Please don't read this as a moan, it is not written as one.