watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Europa League

Started by Jambo, September 20, 2012, 07:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterHaynes

Just listening to talk sport earlier today and all the supporters think they only have to put a reasonably strong team to win it with Alan Brazil and Irani agreeing with them. Talk about underestimating the opposition! I can only think that because little old Fulham got to the Final they all feel its easy.
You would have thought the way Utd, City, Stoke and Spurs were all dumped out last season they would have a bit more respect for the quality in the competition, even at this stage.  

jarv

As somebody said, Roy did it. I think other teams are trying to emulate what he did for Fulham in this competition. As for Tottenham, AVB needs every win he can get, even if it is a full team against grasshopper nohopers.

fulhamfan

if the winner of the europa league got a champions league spot then the whole dynamic of the comp would change.

costarican white

What's up with strikers using low numbers, like Dempsey with #2, it's so weird to see, there are others like Kone with #2 as well for Wigan now and Levante previously, and I remember several years ago Kallon using #3 with Inter. Is that as bad as Gallas wearing #10 for Arsenal? WTHell???

Call me old fashioned but numbers should be assigned according to the position in the field.
Wherever there's a Costa Rican... there's peace.

daib0

Here's a quick and easy run-down on this season's Europa League. OK, many will say "I already know all of that" but it's surprising that when you look for it you often can't find it. So just to have at hand in case ...

The UEFA Europa League comprises three qualifying rounds, a play-off round, a group stage and five knockout rounds.

Qualifying

In matches in the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, clubs play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis. The club which scores the greater aggregate of goals qualifies for the next round, with away goals and then penalties used to determine the winner in the event of a draw.

Group stage

The play-off round winners join the ten losers from the UEFA Champions League play-offs and automatic entrants. The clubs are split into 12 groups of four teams, playing home and away against each of their pool opponents between September and December. Two sides from each section advance, proceeding into the round of 32 alongside eight third-placed teams from the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Knockout phase

From the last 32 until the semi-finals, clubs play two games against each other on a home-and-away basis with the same rules as the qualifying and play-off rounds applied. In the last 32, group winners and the four third-placed sides from the UEFA Champions League with the best records are seeded, guaranteeing they will play the second leg at home. Teams from the same group or the same association cannot be drawn together. From the round of 16 onwards the draw is free.

Final

The final is decided by a single match, which this season will be played at the Amsterdam Arena on Wednesday 15 May.

A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com