watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (12/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 12, 2010, 07:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8093310.Hodgson__No_time_for_Fulham_to_relax/
Hodgson: No time for Fulham to relax

Roy Hodgson has warned his Fulham side that he will not accept any drop in workrate as the Cottagers' thrilling season continues apace.

The Londoners maintained their excellent recent form with a creditable 0-0 draw at Liverpool on Sunday, strengthening their mid-table position.

And with a Europa League semi-final with Hamburg on the horizon, Hodgson has urged his troops to keep going.

He said: "We cannot, and we must not, sit back and think what a great season we have had.

"We have to keep fighting and we have to keep our performance levels high right until the end of the season.

"We must not relax or start reflecting on what we have achieved.

"The time for that will be when we are on a beach somewhere in June.

"For us it must be a case of performing in each game, and start planning for the next one the second it is over."

Hodgson's men were on the back foot for virtually the entirety of the Anfield clash, mustering one shot on target.

But the Fulham boss was more than happy with his side's efforts.

Hodgson added: "I was concerned after the exertions in Germany but the players responded extremely well.

"You always have to be pleased if you go to Anfield and get a point.

"Yes we had to defend for the majority of the game but we were very well organised and they did not have that many clear chances.

"The squad just keeps digging deep and I honestly do not know where they get it from.

"They deserve all the credit in the world. "

Both Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy limped off during the game, but the duo are expected to be fine for Saturday's clash with Wolves.

Fulham's next three matches: Apr 17 Wolves (h), 22 Hamburg (EL, a), 25 Everton (a)

WhiteJC

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-fc-news/2010/04/12/the-andy-walker-column-fulham-s-europa-league-success-leaves-aston-villa-fans-wondering-what-might-have-been-66331-26215892/
The Andy Walker Column: Fulham's Europa League success leaves Aston Villa fans wondering what might have been

FULHAM'S remarkable run to the semi-finals of the Europa League must leave Aston Villa fans wondering what might have been.

While those English clubs used to regularly pitting themselves against the best that the continent has to offer have faltered, the Cottagers have been a real success story in Europe this season.

And, while it maybe going over old news, I can't help but feel that Villa could have been that very same success story last season.

Martin O'Neill would completely disagree, but if Villa had taken the latter stages of what was then the UEFA Cup as seriously as Fulham, then they could have easily been the current reigning champions.

It's been well-documented that the fallout from the Moscow debacle overshadowed last season. O'Neill opted to field a weakened side, devoid of eight first-teamers, against CSKA Moscow and Villa duly crashed out at the last-32 stage.

It was a gamble as O'Neill went in search of a place in the top four of the Premier League and ultimately the Champions League, but one that failed.

It will never be known whether to this day O'Neill regrets putting all his eggs in the basket that looked bound for the top four.

But Villa fans know that they may have to wait a long time for a better chance to put the club back on top of a European competition.

For now, they can only look at Fulham with envy.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/hodgson-happy-with-cottagers
Hodgson happy with Cottagers

Roy Hodgson praised the attitude of his Fulham side after they battled to secure a goalless draw against Liverpool at Anfield.

The Cottagers were under pressure for much of the game on Sunday afternoon, but held their fellow Europa League semi-finalists at bay.

Hodgson told the club's official website:"It was a sterling defensive performance against a very good team.

"There is no doubt that Liverpool dominated the game and we were forced on to the back foot, but I thought we stood our corner very well and worked very hard to stop them getting clear-cut chances.

"It's another excellent clean sheet after coming back from Wolfsburg with a clean sheet.

"I've got to be very satisfied with what the team has done here because Liverpool are a very hard team to take points from, home or away.

"We lacked a bit of quality today, but it's partly due to the fact we've had a tough week. It was a very good and hard-working performance."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/ReservesFaceVilla.aspx
Reserves Face Villa

Billy McKinlay's Development Squad are back in action this afternoon as they take on league leaders Aston Villa in a behind closed doors league fixture at Villa's Bodymoor Heath Training Ground (kick-off 3pm).   

It looks set to be an intriguing encounter between two of the Barclays Premier Reserve League's strongest sides, Villa have yet to lose this season whilst the Whites are on an undefeated run that stretches back to the end of September 2009.

Last week Fulham played out a one-all draw at home to Wolves, a game which saw the return to action of right-back John Pantsil.

Monday's game kicks off a busy week of fixtures for the Whites, who are back in action on Thursday evening at Motspur Park when they face Portsmouth before taking on Stoke City away next Monday.

Supporters are once again reminded that this afternoon's game will be played behind closed doors - there will be no admittance to the general public.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/ReservesFaceVilla.aspx#ixzz0ksmIXxKO

WhiteJC

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23823526-mark-schwarzer-is-itching-to-be-no1-at-40.do
Mark Schwarzer is itching to be No1 at 40

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is ready to accept Roy Hodgson's challenge of playing top-class football into his forties.

Schwarzer will be 38 in October but at Liverpool yesterday he performed with all the agility of someone 10 years younger. Combine that attribute with the kind of precise positioning and faultless anticipation that is only gained through experience and you have the ingredients to make up one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League.

Liverpool certainly had cause to rue the Australia international, whose succession of world-class saves forced Reds boss Rafa Benitez to concede that fourth place, and entry into next season's Champions League, is now beyond his team.

There was a point-blank save from Maxi Rodriguez, a diving parry to deny Javier Mascherano, another parry from a fierce shot by Alberto Aquilani, and a low stop from Ryan Babel who turned Jonathan Greening to find space to shoot hard for the bottom corner.

Hodgson was delighted with his side's resolute display — coming just three days after a sensational Europa League win over Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg — even though Fulham's only shot came 55 seconds into added time when Damien Duff tested Pepe Reina.

But the manager reserved special praise for Schwarzer, who he snapped up on a free transfer from Middlesbrough in 2008. He said: "Mark did a fantastic job. If you don't have a goalkeeper who commands his area and who can take shots that he should take, then you lose the game."

Hodgson believes time is still on Schwarzer's side. "Some of the best goalkeepers in the past have gone on to over 40," he said.

Schwarzer, who spent 11 years at Boro, said: "I'm enjoying myself more than ever, and I'm probably close to being as fit as I've ever been in my whole career.

"I want to keep going as long as I can. As long as I'm enjoying it, and able to play at this level, why not?"

Bobby Zamora's goals have made most of the headlines for Fulham this season but Schwarzer's consistency is a prime reason why the club could face Liverpool in next month's Europa League Final, just so long as they overcome Hamburg in a two-leg semi-final. Schwarzer said: "It's in our own hands. It would be a tremendous achievement for the players and club. We're all fighting for the same cause, we all want to be successful.

"We've got to stay focused and keep determined, and then the sky's the limit for us."

Indeed, if Fulham continue to defend as well as they did in Wolfsburg and at Liverpool, their season really could have a Cinderella finale.

Hodgson, who resisted the temptation to rest his leading lights, said: "After coming back from Wolfsburg with a clean sheet, and then coming to Anfield and getting another clean sheet, I've got to be very satisfied."

Zoltan Gera and Simon Davies were both missing through injury, but they could be back for the home game against Wolves on Saturday.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/36752/Hoddle_Send_Zamora_to_the_World_Cup.aspx
Hoddle: Send Zamora to the World Cup

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle firmly believes that Bobby Zamora should be called up by Fabio Capello for the World Cup as the Fulham striker enjoys a sensational run of form at Craven Cottage.

Zamora, who started his career at Bristol Rovers before taking in stints with Brighton, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United, has netted 19 goals in all competitions this term for Fulham and lead the line for Roy Hodgson's side as they embark on an epic European encounter which has seen them progress to the semi-final of the Europa League.

Linked with a move away from Fulham last summer, the 29-year-old,  who has yet to be capped at full international level, has been nothing short of unstoppable in recent months and is now being tipped for a sensational late call-up by the Three Lions.

Speaking to sport.co.uk in an exclusive interview, Hoddle recalled working with the striker at Spurs and made clear that he represents a great option to challenge the likes of Peter Crouch, Emile Heskey and Darren Bent for a place in South Africa:

"I think Zamora's got a hell of a chance. I took Bobby out of the Football League to Tottenham so I saw his potential.

"Unfortunately, I left after four or five games of the season, so I never got a chance to really develop him and work him but I saw the movement he had, all the things he's doing now, I'm absolutely delighted for the lad.

"He's a smashing lad and he's proving he can do it against the likes of Juventus and Wolfsburg and in the Premiership against top defenders and I think that's what he's going to come up against at the World Cup. Looking in from the outside, its Fabio's decision and I know he's looking at him.

"The reason I think Bobby should go is that not only can he score and he can create goals but I think he can play with Rooney, Crouch and Defoe so if anyone got injured, the balance of his game balances very nicely with all three of those players.

"That's why I think he'll get ahead of some of the other guys."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/murphy_urges_fulham_to_keep_zamora_514896/index.shtml
Murphy Urges Fulham To Keep Zamora

Danny Murphy has urged the Fulham hierarchy to do everything in their power to ensure that Bobby Zamora is not tempted to leave Craven Cottage this summer.

Zamora's well taken strike in the first minute of Thursday night's clash with Wolfsburg was enough to see off the German champions and book the Cottagers' place in the semi-finals of the Europa League. Murphy admits that Zamora, whose contract runs out at the end of next season, could be a target for other Barclays Premier League sides this summer.

He believes Fulham must do their best to keep the striker at the club if they are to continue their remarkable progress that has seen them go from relegation candidates to European semi-finalists within a two-year period.

"He has been our best player by far this season. He's causing big problems for so called top-class defenders week in week out," said the Fulham captain of Zamora.

"The only worry for us now is whether we will be able to keep hold of him but let's hope that we can. I'd be surprised if there aren't clubs coming in for him this summer.

"There are financial restrictions at every club. Fulham can't compete with a club like Man City, obviously, so you have to be realistic but Bobby is an important part of the team and I think it is important that we keep all our best players at the club."

Zamora looked set to leave Craven Cottage last summer after the club accepted a bid from Hull for the striker following a dreadful first season in which he scored only four times in 41 appearances.

Murphy admits Fulham would not be able to stand in Zamora's way if a bigger club came in for the Londoner this summer though.

"We want him to stay but of course the flip side of that is if a so-called bigger or more successful club than Fulham come in for him then you can't stand in his way," said Murphy, who will face his old side Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

"But I think that Bobby wants to stay, he's happy. He showed great desire to stay at the club by rejecting the move to Hull and things have gone from strength to strength for him now."

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/we-cant-sit-back-just-yet-hodgson-1050525.html
We can't sit back just yet - Hodgson

Roy Hodgson has warned his Fulham players they can't start thinking about how well they have played this season with big games to come.

The Cottagers followed up their progression into the last-four of the Europa League at the expense of German champions Wolfsburg with a creditable 0-0 draw at Liverpool on Sunday. And, while Hodgson has been delighted with the workrate from his players, he insists that they must keep things going ahead of a two-legged European showdown with Hamburg and more important Premier League games.

He said: "We cannot, and we must not, sit back and think what a great season we have had.

"We have to keep fighting and we have to keep our performance levels high right until the end of the season.

"We must not relax or start reflecting on what we have achieved.

"The time for that will be when we are on a beach somewhere in June.

"For us it must be a case of performing in each game, and start planning for the next one the second it is over."

On the hard-fought draw against Liverpool on Sunday, Hodgson added: "I was concerned after the exertions in Germany but the players responded extremely well.

"You always have to be pleased if you go to Anfield and get a point.

"Yes we had to defend for the majority of the game but we were very well organised and they did not have that many clear chances.

"The squad just keeps digging deep and I honestly do not know where they get it from.

"They deserve all the credit in the world."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/FixtureChangeUpdate.aspx

Fixture Change Update

A number of fixture changes have been confirmed today. Fulham's away match against Everton and the two home games against West Ham United and Stoke City have now been confirmed:

Everton v Fulham
Sunday 25th April 2010, 3pm
Goodison Park

Fulham v West Ham United
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 3pm
Craven Cottage

Fulham v Stoke City
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 8pm
Craven Cottage

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/FixtureChangeUpdate.aspx#ixzz0ktfqHVFA

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6089781/Schwarzer-s-made-his-Mark-Roy
Schwarzer's made his Mark - Roy

Roy Hodgson is pleased that plaudits continue to come the way of Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, who kept a clean sheet at Anfield on Sunday.

Liverpool still have their Europa League semi-final against Atletico Madrid to look forward to and they may yet get to play the Cottagers again.

The London side are also through to the last four of the competition after a remarkable run and face Hamburg next week.

Fulham were the side to obviously feel the strain the most on Sunday as they created little until a late Damien Duff effort.

Although Liverpool were not in top gear, the Cottagers still owed much to their goalkeeper Schwarzer for their point.

The Australian produced fine saves from Ryan Babel, Alberto Aquilani, Maxi Rodriguez and Javier Mascherano to maintain his clean sheet.

It was another fine performance from the 37-year-old in an excellent season and manager Hodgson is pleased his efforts are now catching the eye.

Hodgson said: "I think he was underrated at Middlesbrough but since he has come to Fulham, I would say he has got quite a lot of recognition for his performances, not least the player of the month for February.

"When that happens you can't complain you're underrated. He's been recognised this year.

"You don't have to wrack your brains to find goalkeepers who have been top class in the top league in England well into their 30s.

"Schwarzer did a fantastic job for us, and you notice it in a game when your opponents have got the ball much more than you.

"If you don't have a goalkeeper who commands his area and takes the shots he should take, then you lose the game."