watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sidwell was rubbish today??

Started by Aaron, September 22, 2012, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Ageroad

A week is a long time in Football, or is it Politics?

Only last week everyone was raving about our new midfield duo tearing WBA apart.

HammyH3

Quote from: epsomraver on September 23, 2012, 09:46:54 AM
What would we do without the arm chair critics with dodgy streams and 4 minutes of MOTD to judge a players performance :bang head:

We'd have more time to read the sensible posts. 086.gif 086.gif

craig10

Problem is last week, Baird and Sidwell played out of their skin. so to compare to last week would be wrong. They did well this week I felt Sidwell being the better of the 2 and at times Baird looked overwhelmed BUT as someone stated they were out numbered in the middle of the park.

I was concerned at the ease we were cut open on a few occasions by Kone pace but bottom line, 2.1 win  098.gif

God The Mechanic

Quote from: craig10 on September 23, 2012, 11:19:30 AM
I was concerned at the ease we were cut open on a few occasions by Kone pace but bottom line, 2.1 win  098.gif

Kone was very, very good.  By far the most dangerous Wigan player and exposed the lack of pace in Fulham's defence quite dramatically :P

hongkongfulham

What would we do without the arm chair critics with dodgy streams and 4 minutes of MOTD to judge a players performance :bang head:

Does that mean comments made by people who cant make it to a game, but watch it on telly/the internet are all rubbish? surely then this forum would only be for stadium attendees comments which other fulham fans can only read... 086.gif

Berserker

Even if you go to games you can't see what's happening all of the time, I had a job to work out who'd scored the first goal yesterday.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

hongkongfulham

i agree you can see way more at a game, and you get a far more all encompassing view of whats going on, but its not a luxury some of us have to watch the lads play live regrettably :( still want to support and get involved the best we can whether opinions be held valid by others or not. but i digress, 3 points away! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!

epsomraver

Note i said dodgy streams and MOTD, there is no mention of being there or not, although I still believe being there gives a better overall picture than the TV as they follow the ball.

cmg

Quote from: hongkongfulham on September 23, 2012, 01:05:01 PM

Does that mean comments made by people who cant make it to a game, but watch it on telly/the internet are all rubbish? surely then this forum would only be for stadium attendees comments which other fulham fans can only read... 086.gif

No, I don't believe it means that at all.

It means that is fairly fatuous to publish what was a quite detailed analysis of a players supposed shortcomings ('rubbish' was the word used , admittedly interrogatively) based on what the poster admitted was a viewing of only 4 minutes of the match (I doubt that the player in question featured in the whole of even this small sample). Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but this was simply a waste of time.

One does not have to attend a match in order to formulate a reasonable (hopefully!) opinion on it. Sky transmit an only slightly edited version (running time about 50min, which, if one considers the amount of 'dead' time in a match, ball out of play etc., gives a pretty full version) of every PL match after about 10.15 on a Saturday. After which the game can be viewed as many times as you want.
Sidwell did not have a great game yesterday - as someone else has said, he is not a great player. Ideally we would like to have somebody more talented than he (or a more creative duo than Sidwell/Baird) but, in the event, he does an adequate job. Even if BBC conspired to show his most ineffective 4 minutes of the day, Sidwell is not 'rubbish' and did not have a 'rubbish' game yesterday.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: cmg on September 23, 2012, 01:59:17 PM
Quote from: hongkongfulham on September 23, 2012, 01:05:01 PM

No, I don't believe it means that at all.

It means that is fairly fatuous to publish what was a quite detailed analysis of a players supposed shortcomings ('rubbish' was the word used , admittedly interrogatively) based on what the poster admitted was a viewing of only 4 minutes of the match (I doubt that the player in question featured in the whole of even this small sample). Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but this was simply a waste of time.

One does not have to attend a match in order to formulate a reasonable (hopefully!) opinion on it. Sky transmit an only slightly edited version (running time about 50min, which, if one considers the amount of 'dead' time in a match, ball out of play etc., gives a pretty full version) of every PL match after about 10.15 on a Saturday. After which the game can be viewed as many times as you want.
Sidwell did not have a great game yesterday - as someone else has said, he is not a great player. Ideally we would like to have somebody more talented than he (or a more creative duo than Sidwell/Baird) but, in the event, he does an adequate job. Even if BBC conspired to show his most ineffective 4 minutes of the day, Sidwell is not 'rubbish' and did not have a 'rubbish' game yesterday.

Agree whole heartily, i will give you an e-high5. Although i didnt think sidwell was that bad, tough game to get into and he battled as per usual, Ideally someone better? massive yes.

epsomraver

Two minutes of MOTD was when the Ref got taken out, and the other 2 on Hanson doing an analysis of the tackle :011:

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

tommy

On my way home yesterday I heard radio 5 live call him the special one Iniesta. He wasn't as good as that but I thought he did a lot of good work.

Aaron

What I asked was if the 4 minutes on MOTD were a reflection on his performance as a whole..  There were a number of seriously bad errors on his part in that period and no flashes of brilliance either.. He looked bad, I didn't see the game and wanted to know if the impression I was left with was accurate as, naturally, I have concerns about our midfield..  It looked like he had a bit of a howler, I just wanted to know if he actually had and I didn't have enough information to work it out for myself.

I wouldn't have felt the need to ask the question if I'd seen the whole game!  It's not like I'm asking for him to be consigned to the reserves for the rest of his Fulham career :)

Scrumpy

I think Aaron is being a bit harshly treated. He asked a question as to whether the 4 minutes on MOTD were a fair reflection.

Personally, I think people are very harsh on Sidwell. He has a fantastic engine and covers a huge amount of ground when we don't have the ball. Baird and him were outnumbered yesterday but worked bl00dy hard not to be over-run. They get very little 'glory' but they are both as important to the team as the 'fancy Dans' like Berba and Ruiz.

Personally, I would rather have a team of Sidwells and Bairds, than a team of Ruizs and Duffs. But it's all about getting the mix right. I agree that maybe Diarra would replace Sidwell when fit, but to say that Sidwell is not good enough for The Premiership is a bit rich!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

epsomraver

Perhaps he would wise to choose a better title to his post and then he wouldn't get peoples backs up from the start.
Sorry cannot agree with having a team of Sdwells and Bairds rather than Ruiz and Duffs I know who I would back to win that game.

Scrumpy

Quote from: epsomraver on September 23, 2012, 10:21:15 PM
Perhaps he would wise to choose a better title to his post and then he wouldn't get peoples backs up from the start.
Sorry cannot agree with having a team of Sdwells and Bairds rather than Ruiz and Duffs I know who I would back to win that game.

Sidwell was rubbish today. Question mark? Question mark?

Clear to me. Let's agree to disagree.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

HatterDon

the only players who disappointed on the day were Special K and Hughes. Sidwell's talent is limited so you really can't expect brilliance from him. I thought he played well.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

The sheep were tough but fair this weekend and one of my black and white dogs ran well - wait, I think two of my black and white dogs ran well, but you can't really see the subtleties of his style on TV.  You'd have to have been there in the middle of a field in Maryland to appreciate the full complexity of his skills as the internets stream was jumpier than a Welsh river in full spate.  And Gentileman Jim was too interested in the Schwartzer's kit to really pass muster.
Still, the 12 hour round trip was well worth it - even if it only took 4 minutes!
Nogood "no substitute for being there, isit" Boyo