watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Evans vs Shelvey

Started by craig10, September 23, 2012, 10:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

To me, it's like a prize fight where the boxer complained about having to fight two men in the ring (his opponent and a biased referee).  Man U gets calls it doesn't deserve.  And that makes it doubly hard to beat them.  So often, the game is decided on either that one bad (or inconsistent) decision, or its effect over the remainder of the game.  I didn't see a single call going Liverpool's way.  Not one.   I have no love for either team, and it would seem that if there were to be a game where a ref otherwise susceptible to pro-Manchester influence would be less likely to so rule, it would have been that game, what with emotions running high over the Report, the fans' signage, and all.  It wasn't just another game...   

Lighthouse

The game is FOOT BALL. Foot to ball. Players did not jump or leave the ground in a Red Arrows Formation. They simply wanted to win the ball. HOWEVER if we now outlaw the tackle that sent off the Liverpool player. Then, as has been stated, two other players should have been sent off too.

My argument is that if a player jumps two footed at another player, then that is dangerous and the player sent off. But I did not see that as the case in the Liverpool match. Thank goodness Sidwell and the Wigan played failed to win the ball and instead poleaxed the ref on Saturday. Otherwise they too would have been sent off for trying to win the ball.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFC1987

Quote from: HatterDon on September 24, 2012, 07:21:34 PM
I'd have given Jonjo a red with no hesitation. Surprised to see so many folks on here jumping to Liverpool's defense.

I actually said he should have been sent off, but I'm stating Evans should have too. How can anyone argue and justify a two footed tackle is beyond me. I'm more surprised that people are ignoring that part of the argument and jumping against Liverpool. I'm on the fence and stating it shouldn't be 1 rule for 1 and 1 rule for another which sadly, is the case.

EJL

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 25, 2012, 11:21:25 AM
I'd have given Jonjo a red with no hesitation. Surprised to see so many folks on here jumping to Liverpool's defense.

I actually said he should have been sent off, but I'm stating Evans should have too. How can anyone argue and justify a two footed tackle is beyond me. I'm more surprised that people are ignoring that part of the argument and jumping against Liverpool. I'm on the fence and stating it shouldn't be 1 rule for 1 and 1 rule for another which sadly, is the case.
But Evans wasn't diving in towards Shelvey? How can you penalise a two footed challenge that no one is on the receiving end of?

FFC1987

Quote from: EJL on September 25, 2012, 11:38:36 AM

But Evans wasn't diving in towards Shelvey? How can you penalise a two footed challenge that no one is on the receiving end of?

Thats ridiculous, you penalise for dangerous play, which it was. Evans rided into a tackle so how anyone can say it was directed at no one is beyond me, if that was the case, why go in two footed anyway?

FFC1987

Just watched it again, Evans was diving towards shelvey, thats the most ridiculous argument for a two footed challenge ive heard on here.

EJL

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 25, 2012, 11:48:23 AM

Just watched it again, Evans was diving towards shelvey, thats the most ridiculous argument for a two footed challenge ive heard on here.
If you look back, I said I'd only seen one gif of it. I'll watch it later.

Artful Dodger

Atrocious call by the ref! It was a 50/50 ball in a Liverpool - Manure match. If you actually look at closely, Shelvey actually plays the ball side footed and not with his studs up but he catched Evans on the follow through. Evans is fortunate that with his studs up he doesnt catch Shelvey so gets away with it. Surely the ref could have used some common sense to keep 11 players on the pitch which is just as much part of his job if he does it right.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Forever Fulham

Doesn't the ref have any leeway?   Look, by analogy, the rules say it isn't a 'handball' unless there is evidence of intent, right?  So you keep your hands to your sides as much as possible and hope that if you get nicked by the ball on your arm, well, it was for reasons other than to intentionally block the ball.  And still we see calls against players who aren't even looking at the ball when their hand gets nicked.  That infuriates me.  In a true 50/50 situation, both players have a seemingly equal chance to get to the ball first.  The defender slides; the offensive player keeps running towards the ball.  There seems to me to be a point of no return in such moments, when the slider and the runner have committed and withdrawal would mean likely losing the fight to the ball, with outcome still uncertain.  We show leniency to the player who makes contact with the ball a split second before his opponent can, even if both are past the point of pulling out.  Why?  Doesn't it get back to evidence of intent?  There's no easy answer here.  It's always going to be subjective.  I do think, though, that players can soften the force of contact even in a slide scenario.  All I know for sure is that if I am  sliding, I am not going to expose my ankles or calves if I can help it.  So what's left to me?  Bottoms of the my cleats.

jazz hardrockin

Quote from: kempkong on September 23, 2012, 10:49:06 PM
They both deserved to go or neither. Bad call from the ref but this is just another example of man u getting the run of the green.
Wil

One more example..... :dft012:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19729114
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.