watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz

Started by mullers, October 01, 2012, 07:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mullers

Sorry about this but the missus has demanded I post.

Ruiz is a Central American not South American. As a Tica [Costa Rican] she's sure the Brummies and Geordies in the Hammersmith will understand why she's upset.

Happy Monday morning.... cr flag

HatterDon

Quote from: mullers on October 01, 2012, 07:26:38 AM

Ruiz is a Central American not South American. As a Tica [Costa Rican] she's sure the Brummies and Geordies in the Hammersmith will understand why she's upset.

and, as I keep pointing out, Central America is a region withing the continent of NORTH AMERICA. I'm happy to share this continent with that enlightened, beautiful nation.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Walsh

Who gives a...... where he's from... he's class.

Rupert

Quote from: HatterDon on October 01, 2012, 03:23:11 PM

and, as I keep pointing out, Central America is a region withing the continent of NORTH AMERICA. I'm happy to share this continent with that enlightened, beautiful nation.

Ah, but is that enlightened, beautiful nation happy to share the continent with...no, stop it, Rupert!   083.gif

I did read something somewhere, by an American, saying how strange it is for those from the USA to call themselves Americans, since that is the name of the continent. A bit like everyone from China to Pakistan referring to themselves as Asians, not Chinese or Pakistani, or everyone in this country calling themselves Europeans, which as you all know we only ever do on a Monday morning after winning the Ryder Cup.

I'd be curious to know what the Costa Ricans think of that (the American thing, not us winning the Ryder Cup), assuming they are even remotely bothered by it.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

costarican white

Quote from: Rupert on October 01, 2012, 04:22:40 PM

Ah, but is that enlightened, beautiful nation happy to share the continent with...no, stop it, Rupert!   083.gif

I did read something somewhere, by an American, saying how strange it is for those from the USA to call themselves Americans, since that is the name of the continent. A bit like everyone from China to Pakistan referring to themselves as Asians, not Chinese or Pakistani, or everyone in this country calling themselves Europeans, which as you all know we only ever do on a Monday morning after winning the Rider Cup.

I'd be curious to know what the Costa Ricans think of that (the American thing, not us winning the Rider Cup), assuming they are even remotely bothered by it.

There's many people bothered actually. Not only CR but the rest of the continent... Me? I couldn't care less tbh, I understand they cannot call themselves the united staters right? LOL
Wherever there's a Costa Rican... there's peace.

Rupert

Quote from: costarican white on October 01, 2012, 04:26:18 PM
I understand they cannot call themselves the united staters right? LOL

Funnily enough, that was the conclusion the writer came to. What would they call themsleves? Hatter Don could call himself a Texan, and be proud, but what about the rest of them?

costarican white

TRUE! We are part of Central America, not South America. But again, I understand the confusion, I have no idea where's Sri Lanka (for example), will the Sri Lankans (?) be mad at me because of that, well I don't know any but I guess no...

PS, who's "she"? Sorry I got lost.
Wherever there's a Costa Rican... there's peace.

jarv

I can understand Costa Ricans being annoyed. I (a Scot) living in USA am referred to by many as ENGLISH. They only do it once though :011:

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on October 01, 2012, 04:46:39 PM
I can understand Costa Ricans being annoyed. I (a Scot) living in USA am referred to by many as ENGLISH. They only do it once though :011:

This makes me smile a bit, Mr. Jarv. When living in a down-at-the-heel multi-ethnic neighborhood in Bedford in the late 1960s [said neighborhood was gentrified beyond recognition in the 90s] our very Scottish upstairs neighbor became involved with some South Asian neighbors to the point where the local bobby stepped in. He said, among other things, "it's about time you foreigners learned how we do things here." Whereupon the Scot neighbor shouted, "I beg your pardon; I am BRITISH" in an accent that Maggie Thatcher would have been proud of. Classic.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CanadianCottager

Quote from: Rupert on October 01, 2012, 04:22:40 PM

Ah, but is that enlightened, beautiful nation happy to share the continent with...no, stop it, Rupert!   083.gif

I did read something somewhere, by an American, saying how strange it is for those from the USA to call themselves Americans, since that is the name of the continent. A bit like everyone from China to Pakistan referring to themselves as Asians, not Chinese or Pakistani, or everyone in this country calling themselves Europeans, which as you all know we only ever do on a Monday morning after winning the Ryder Cup.

I'd be curious to know what the Costa Ricans think of that (the American thing, not us winning the Ryder Cup), assuming they are even remotely bothered by it.

I try to make a point of insisting that as someone from the American continent, I'm American, but it gets too confusing when I'm dealing with Europeans, for some reason people tend to find the Canadian and US accents similiar.  :032:

Rupert

Quote from: CanadianCottager on October 01, 2012, 05:27:59 PM

I try to make a point of insisting that as someone from the American continent, I'm American, but it gets too confusing when I'm dealing with Europeans, for some reason people tend to find the Canadian and US accents similiar.  :032:

Thay made quite a good joke about that in the film "In Bruges", where one character gets into a fight with an American because of what they did in Vietnam, only for the cops to arrest him for assaulting a Canadian.

To be fair, it isn't only you lot we have problems with, the differences between an Aussie and a Kiwi are usually lost on most of us too.

Ooh, tin hat time... :028:

cebu

Quote from: jarv on October 01, 2012, 04:46:39 PM

Well it could be worse, Mr jarv, they might start calling you "Scotch" ...   :hook:

RidgeRider

Quote from: Rupert on October 01, 2012, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: costarican white on October 01, 2012, 04:26:18 PM
I understand they cannot call themselves the united staters right? LOL

Funnily enough, that was the conclusion the writer came to. What would they call themsleves? Hatter Don could call himself a Texan, and be proud, but what about the rest of them?

Well, originally they called the whole region America.....I wouldn't doubt it if the English probably starting calling us Americans first and it stuck...along with Yanks of course  :dft012: