more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (06/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 06, 2012, 06:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham and Reading hungry for McDonald

Fulham and Reading will go head to head over Inter Milan midfielder McDonald Mariga, according to Italian newspaper Tuttosport.

The Kenya international has struggled to nail down a first-team place at the San Siro since joining from Parma two years ago and has spent time back on loan at his former club and at Spanish side Real Sociedad.

Inter are thought to have received several offers for the 25-year-old, including proposals from Fulham and Reading.

The Serie A side will review Mariga's situation in December ahead of the January transfer window, and they could sanction the Kenyan's departure to the Premier League.

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/121005/fulham-and-reading-hungry-mcdonald-182474?#4Kvub8JP9XCiHMgI.99

WhiteJC

Fulham hope to expose porous Saints - Game preview - Southampton (a)

Nigel Adkins' side have conceded 18 goals in only six games and, even without Berbatov and, potentially, Petric, Martin Jol will hope to expose a leaky Southampton defence.

Fulham travel to the South Coast to face Southampton on Sunday afternoon for the first time since 2005 and, with an away win already behind us in the Premier League this season, things are more upbeat than usual.

That win came at the DW Stadium against Wigan Athletic and while it was hardly the most inspiring of victories, the benchmark has been set and Martin Jol will be eager to exploit a porous Saints defence.

Nigel Adkins' side have conceded 18 goals already this term, in only six games, and sit in 17th place with three points to their name.

They looked somewhat more convincing in their last home fixture, a 4-1 hammering of Aston Villa. Despite going behind early on, they showed that they have a quite potent attacking line up that can, in certain circumstances, outweigh their leaky back line.

And, it is also worth noting, an early season fixture list that has included Manchester City and United, Arsenal and Everton has hardly offered a flattering reflection of their current Premier League status.

Fulham, though, have had an invariably easier start to the campaign. Solid wins over Norwich City, Wigan and West Bromwich Albion leaves the Craven Cottage side sitting pretty in ninth place - a position we'd do well to retain until the very end of the season.

Last time out, we were humbled by Manchester City at home but the resilience shown in places will please Jol who will be keen to see a similar defensive shift on Sunday.

In the 2005 fixture, a thrilling 3-3 draw was played out at St Mary's as a Liam Rosenior own goal gave the home team a share of the spoils.

There's no John Pantsil in the Fulham team to commit a similar fraud this time, and there will also be no Simon Davies and Mahamadou Diarra due to injury.

Dimitar Berbatov is unlikely to feature - Jol says there is a 10% chance - as his injury picked up ahead of the City tie continues to keep him out.

The same applies to Ashkan Dejagah and also Mladen Petric, but Kieron Richardson is set to return to the fray. It leaves Jol withHugo Rodallega as the only 100% fit striker.

For Southampton the only injury concern is Jack Cork, who will not feature.

Score prediction: Saints 1 - 2 Fulham

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/10/5/3460472/fulham-to-expose-porous-southampton-berbatov?

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham: Squad sheets

Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Photograph: Graphic

Southampton's league fixtures have been a treat for neutrals so far this season, producing nearly five goals a game. Unfortunately for Saints fans, most of those goals have been conceded by their team. Going into this match, only the injured Jack Cork is unavailable for the hosts, while Jos Hooiveld is back to strengthen their leaky defence. Fulham are likely to once again be without Dimitar Berbatov but Kerim Frei, Philippe Senderos and Simon Davies could all return to Martin Jol's squad for their trip to the south coast. Tom Lutz

Venue St Mary's Stadium

Tickets £20-£44 (0238 178 0780)

Last season n/a

Referee M Clattenburg

This season's matches 3 Y13, R1, 4.67 cards per game

Odds Southampton 17-10 Fulham 31-20 Draw 9-4

Southampton

Subs from Gazzaniga, Davis, Richardson, Yoshida, Seabourne, Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Rodriguez, Lee, Mayuka

Doubtful None

Injured Cork (knee, Nov)

Suspended None

Form guide LWLLLL

Disciplinary record Y4 R0

Leading scorer Lambert 4

Fulham

Subs from Stockdale, Somogyi, Kelly, Ruiz, Briggs, Kasami, Kacaniklic, Berbatov, Dejagah, Senderos, Rodallega, Trotta, Frei, Davies

Doubtful Petric (calf), Berbatov (hip)

Injured Diarra (knee, Nov), Frei (pelvis, unknown), Davies (hip, unknown)

Suspended None Form guide LWWLLW

Disciplinary record Y4 R0

Leading scorer Duff, Petric 3

Match pointers

• Southampton have dropped more points from winning positions than any other Premier League side this season (nine)

• Fulham have never won at St Mary's, drawing three and losing one of their four games at the venue

• These sides are two of the three top-flight teams yet to draw this season (along with Manchester United)

• Mark Schwarzer has made more saves than any other goalkeeper this season (38)

• The hosts are the only top-flight side to have conceded multiple own goals (two)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/05/southampton-fulham-squad-sheets?

WhiteJC

Fulham sign free agent Mickael Tavares on a short-term deal

Mickael Tavares: Joined Fulham on a short-term deal after leaving Hamburg last summer

Fulham have signed free agent Mickael Tavares on a short-term deal at Craven Cottage.

Tavares, who had a spell at Middlesbrough two years ago, will bolster Fulham's midfield options after losing Mahamadou Diarra to injury recently.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is a big admirer of Tavares having worked with him during his time in charge at Hamburg and he believes the 29-year-old will be a valuable addition to the squad.

"Mickael is a typical holding midfielder and I'm delighted that we've been able to strengthen this area," Jol told the club's official website.

"He played for me when I was at Hamburg so I'm familiar with his qualities and he will prove to be a very good addition."

Tavares, who left Hamburg in the summer, is relishing the chance of linking up again with Jol.

"I'm happy that I'm now officially a Fulham player and I'm looking forward to playing under Martin Jol once more," said Tavares.

"The players and staff have made me feel welcome and I can't wait to get started with my new teammates."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8141235?

WhiteJC

Fulham sign free agent Mickael Tavares

Fulham have completed the signing of free agent Mickael Tavares on a short-term deal.

The 29-year-old defensive midfielder worked with Cottagers boss Martin Jol during the Dutchman's spell as Hamburg manager.

Tavares, who spent the 2010/11 on loan at Middlesbrough, joins Fulham following his summer release by the Bundesliga club and has penned a short-term contract at Craven Cottage.

"I'm happy that I'm now officially a Fulham player and I'm looking forward to playing under Martin Jol once more," the Senegal international told the club's official website, http://www.fulhamfc.com.

"The players and staff have made me feel welcome and I can't wait to get started with my new teammates."

Speaking about his new acquisition, Jol said: "Mickael is a typical holding midfielder and I'm delighted that we've been able to strengthen this area.

"He played for me when I was at Hamburg so I'm familiar with his qualities and he will prove to be a very good addition."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/fulham-sign-free-agent-mickael-tavares-8199955.html

WhiteJC

Jol sweats on strike duo

Fulham striker Mladen Petric is a doubt for the Barclays Premier League clash at Southampton with a calf problem.

The Croatia international suffered the injury in training this morning and his absence would be another blow for the Cottagers heading into Sunday's clash at St Mary's.

Manager Martin Jol is also sweating on the fitness of fellow forward Dimitar Berbatov who he believes has only a 10 percent chance of figuring this weekend due to a hip and upper thigh complaint.

Simon Davies (hip) and Mahamadou Diarra (knee) are also sidelined for the Cottagers, but Jol is boosted by the return of former Sunderland and Manchester United star Kieran Richardson.

Ashkan Dejagah, Philippe Senderos, Pajtim Kasami and Kerim Frei could also be involved if they come through Friday night's development team match.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-sweats-on-strike-duo-1480145.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham beat Chelsea in Under-21 game

Chelsea suffered their third defeat in four Under-21 Premier League matches, losing 3-1 to Fulham at a rain-swept Craven Cottage on Friday evening.

Fulham's starting line-up included Philippe Senderos, new signing Mickael Tavares and fellow recent arrival Ashkan Dejagah, while Kerim Frei made an impressive return from injury.

Alex Smith hit the Chelsea post with a free-kick before Charles Banya embarrassed Blues keeper Jamal Blackman with a lob from an awkward angle to put the home side ahead.

A mistake by Fulham keeper Csaba Somogyi, who weakly palmed Billy Clifford's free-kick into the net, helped Chelsea draw level.

But Marcello Trotta scored following Frei's cross just before the break and then headed home early in the second half – again from a cross by Frei, who played 73 minutes.

Chelsea's Lucas Piazon and Lewis Baker hit the woodwork as Dermot Drummy's team tried to find a way back into the game.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-beat4-chelsea-in16-under-21-game?

WhiteJC

Fulham U21s 3-1 Chelsea U21s

A fine Charles Banya effort and a Marcello Trotta brace saw Fulham under-21s overcome Chelsea 3-1 at a rain-soaked Craven Cottage on Friday evening.

Kit Symons named Kerim Frei, Philippe Senderos and Ashkan Dejagah in his starting XI as they continued their comebacks from their respective injuries. New signing Mickael Tavares was also handed a starting berth.

After a feisty opening with both sides struggling to keep hold of the ball on a soaking surface, it was the hosts who came closest to opening the scoring on seven minutes. After winning a free-kick just outside the area, Frei went to take the set piece but fooled the men in blue with a clever dummy, leaving Alex Smith to curl a fine effort against the post with the 'keeper well beaten.

Fulham were doing well to contain our rivals but we did need a superb last ditch sliding tackle from Senderos to rob Patrick Bamford who had found his way through on goal on 12 minutes.

Banya was proving a useful outlet down the left flank and he had a decent penalty appeal turned down on 25 minutes when he was sandwiched between two Chelsea defenders.

Banya was not to be denied though as he scored a goal of sublime quality just three minutes later. Senderos delivered a high, searching cross-field ball which Banya connected with at full stretch to expertly volley over Blackman in the Chelsea goal. The young winger did well to even reach the ball but showed a majestic composure to lift his shot up and over the 'keeper.

Two minutes later he almost doubled his and Fulham's lead when he connected with Jack Grimmer's low cross but he lifted his shot over the bar under pressure from a defender in blue.

Chelsea responded with a decent effort from range by Lewis Baker but – although his shot had Csaba Somogyi concerned – it was never going to find the back of the net.

The visitors were level moments later though when Billy Clifford's free-kick slipped through Somogyi's palms and into the back of the net. The ball was dripping wet but the Hungarian will be disappointed not to keep it out nonetheless.

Fulham came back instantly though on 37 minutes when Dejagah weaved his way into the area before Trotta took the ball off his toes with a powerful first time strike that Blackman parried away for a corner.

Trotta was in the mood and did well to jink past Nathan Ake to make space for himself in the box – unfortunately his low drive went narrowly wide of the near post.

The Whites took the lead their play deserved in stoppage time when Frei robbed the last defender, rounded Blackman with ease and fed Trotta who took a touch before firing the ball into the roof of the net.

As expected, both Dejagah and Senderos were withdrawn at the break, with Brister and Kasami coming on in their place.

Fulham took just three minutes to extend the lead and it was Frei and Trotta linking up again as our number nine headed in Kerim's dangerous free-kick from the left-wing.

Chelsea looked for a way back into the game and nearly found it on 56 minutes when Lucas Piazon hit a wicked free-kick, only to see his effort crack against the post.

The Blues were awarded another free-kick on 70 minutes and Baker took some paint off the other post this time, with Somogyi well beaten.

Kerim Frei was withdrawn from the action three minutes later as Tom Donegan replaced him. The 18-year-old had put in an influential performance and looked as though he had never been away. He'll certainly prove a useful option for Martin Jol as the season progresses.

Fulham twice went close to further extending their lead in the closing stages through Sean Kavanagh and Donegan, before Somogyi did well to hold Bamford's powerful 20-yard drive – a shot which proved to be the last effort of the match.

Fulham: 1.Somogyi, 2. Grimmer, 3. Kavanagh, 4. Tavares, 5. Senderos (14. Brister, 45 mins), 6. Musa, 7. Dejagah (15. Kasami, 45 mins), 8. Smith (c), 9. Trotta, 10, Frei (16. Dongean, 73 mins), 11. Banya

Subs: 12. Grainger, 14. Brister, 15. Kasami, 16. Donegan, 17. Pritchard

Chelsea: 1. Blackman, 2. Kane (c), 3. Davey (12. Christensen, 53 mins), 4. Ake, 5. Deen-Conteh (16. Boga, 64 mins), 6. C. Clifford (14. Islam, 52 mins), 7. Baker, 8. B. Clifford, 9. Bamford, 10. Saville, 11.Piazon

Subs: 12. Christensen, 13. Beeney, 14. Islam, 15. Nditi, 16. Boga

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/05/fulham-chelsea-u21s?

WhiteJC

Fulham new boy raring to go for the Cottagers

New Fulham signing Mickael Tavares has expressed his delight after signing a a short-term deal with the Cottagers

The 29-year-old defensive midfielder worked with Cottagers boss Martin Jol during the Dutchman's spell as Hamburg manager.

Tavares, who spent the 2010/11 on loan at Middlesbrough, joins Fulham on a free following his summer release by the Bundesliga club and has penned a short-term contract at Craven Cottage.

"I'm happy that I'm now officially a Fulham player and I'm looking forward to playing under Martin Jol once more," the Senegal international told the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com.

Speaking about his new acquisition, Jol said: "Mickael is a typical holding midfielder and I'm delighted that we've been able to strengthen this area.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_new_boy_raring_to_go_for_the_cottagers_1_1573708?

WhiteJC

Southampton boss: We have to be at our best for Fulham

Southampton manager Nigel Adkins thinks Southampton face a tough test when they host Fulham on Sunday.

Martin Jol's Fulham have made an encouraging start to the season and sit ninth in the Premier League table after the first six games.

Southampton, meanwhile, beat Aston Villa 4-1 in their last home game but have failed to take any points from their other five games and lie 17th in the table.

"We're under no illusions, Fulham are going to be a tough team to beat," said Adkins.

"We don't think we're just going to turn up and going to win. Fulham have had a very promising start.

"They're very organised, have good players and have won games this season.

"We know we've got to be at the top of our game, like every game in the Barclays Premier League, but we've got to go and look to win our games at home."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/southampton_boss_we_have_to_be_at_our_best_for_fulham_1_1573715?

WhiteJC

Symons' Verdict

After the disappointment of Monday's defeat on Merseyside, Under-21s Manager Kit Symons was delighted with the response shown by his side against Chelsea at Craven Cottage on Friday evening.

A Charles Banya strike put Fulham ahead only for the visitors to strike back with a free-kick, before Marcello Trotta's brace secured all three points for the Whites.

"I'm very pleased as it was a decent performance," Kit told fulhamfc.com after the game. "Obviously we had a few senior players out there so it was good to get the win."

The senior players he refers to are Philippe Senderos and Ashkan Dejagah – who both impressed in their 45 minutes on the pitch – Kerim Frei, and new signing Mickael Tavares. Frei put in a Man of the Match display with assists for both of Trotta's goals, while Tavares demonstrated a real enthusiasm in the middle of the park.

The First Teamers in the side were perfectly complemented by some of our younger stars and Kit was pleased with the combination of youth and experience out on the pitch.

"It was a decent balance," he said. "It's always difficult when you have senior players coming down who haven't been training with the group; they were all training with us yesterday but obviously, as a group, they're normally with the First Team.

"So it can prove difficult at times but it all seemed to fit quite well tonight so it was very pleasing all round."

Chelsea came close to finding a way back into the contest when they hit either post with free-kicks in the second half, but Kit was pleased with the way his side coped with our local rivals.

"They were trying to get back into the game and they were pushing so they were left a bit open at the back," Symons explained. "They were committing bodies forward, as they do – they always play in the right way, they play good football and they've got a lot of good players, but so have we.

"We created a lot of good chances and probably should have made it more comfortable than it was in the end. Their biggest threat was from free-kicks but I thought we were dangerous with them as well; we hit the post with one ourselves."

The opening goal is one that will likely split opinion as to what Banya's intention was when he made contact with the ball. He deserves credit in the first instance for reaching it with a lung-busting sprint, before he volleyed the ball at full-stretch over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

"He says to me he meant it!" Kit laughed when quizzed on the goal. "He did have a little look up to see where the 'keeper was as the ball was coming in. I think he tried to control it to be honest but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a good finish!

"He did really well to get something on it in the first place. It was a great cross-field, diagonal ball from Philippe Senderos – that was something we spoke about before the game as we thought that was an area where we'd be able to hurt them in behind their full-backs and Charlie came up with his exquisite finish."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/05/symons-verdict?

WhiteJC

FULHAM BOSS MARTIN JOL: SHUT IT, BOBBY ZAMORA

MARTIN JOL has told Bobby Zamora to keep his mouth shut after the QPR striker claimed none of Fulham's players like their boss.

Jol sold Zamora to their west London rivals after a bust-up.

The hitman then suggested the "vast majority" of stars at Craven Cottage are desperate to leave.

But Jol says Zamora just has a major case of sour grapes. He said: "He is a player who needs to be loved and if you don't love him, then he hates you.

"I don't know why he is doing this – I would keep my mouth shut.

"Maybe he is right but we've got a lot of players who seem to come because I'm here. I'm very happy with the team spirit."

Fulham are after two wins in a row on the road when they go to Southampton tomorrow.

Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric could both be out but Jol backed Damien Duff to step into their shoes.

Jol said: "He's playing well and has three goals. That is what we need, players motivated to do well for Fulham."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/275699/Fulham-boss-Martin-Jol-Shut-it-Bobby-Zamora-/?

WhiteJC

Jol strengthens Fulham's midfield with signing of ex-Boro and Hamburg man Tavares

Signing on: Mickael Tavares has joined Fulham on a free transfer

Fulham have completed the signing of free agent Mickael Tavares on a short-term deal.

Tavares, who spent the 2010/11 on loan at Middlesbrough, joins Fulham following his summer release by the Bundesliga club and has penned a short-term contract at Craven Cottage.

'I'm happy that I'm now officially a Fulham player and I'm looking forward to playing under Martin Jol once more,' the Senegal international said.

'The players and staff have made me feel welcome and I can't wait to get started with my new teammates.'

Speaking about his new acquisition, Jol said: 'Mickael is a typical holding midfielder and I'm delighted that we've been able to strengthen this area.

'He played for me when I was at Hamburg so I'm familiar with his qualities and he will prove to be a very good addition.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2213521/Fulham-sign-free-agent-Mickael-Tavares-short-term-deal.html#ixzz28Ukm8tgj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

From the boo boy to Bairdiniho
by DAN on OCTOBER 6, 2012

Chris Baird celebrates his opening goal at Stoke with Simon Davies

When Martin Jol was planning his second season in charge of Fulham, it is fair to say he wouldn't have picked Chris Baird as his first choice central midfielder. Indeed, Baird probably wouldn't have made the first eleven and there were whispers that he might move on in search of first team football. Like life, in football, time changes everything. Hours after the transfer deadline day, Fulham were short of central midfielders and Baird stepped into that role he plays with such distinction for Northern Ireland at short notice. The untimely injury to Mahamadou Diarra and the departure of Mousa Dembele meant that Baird might well be more than a stopgap for the Whites. In my opinion, there's nobody who deserves a run in the side more.

Baird grew up in Rasharkin, in County Antrim, where his brothers played gaelic football and hurling, but Baird preferred to play football and after starting his career at Ballymena United, Baird signed for Southampton in 1998 after a successful trial with the south coast side. Gordon Strachan gave a young Baird his senior debut as a late substitute against Aston Villa in April 2003 and introduced again towards the end of a heavy defeat at Arsenal, but it was still a major surprise when Strachan started Baird at right back for the FA Cup final against the Gunners later that May. Although Southampton lost 2-0, Baird was impressive on his full debut and his progress was rewarded with a first call-up to the Northern Ireland senior squad, with his first cap following in Italy the following month. Baird was a regular for his country throughout the following season, which he largely spent on loan at Walsall and Watford, making a return to the Saints starting eleven for the final fixture of the campaign against Charlton.

Despite being a regular member of the Northern Ireland side, Baird struggled to get much of a look in once Harry Redknapp succeeded Strachan. He didn't make a single first-team appearance in 2004-05 and was a forgotten man until Redknapp departed in December 2005. He made seventeen appearances under George Burley as the Saints adjusted to life in the First Division and when he was offered the chance to a stake a claim for a first-team spot in his natural central defensive position at the start of the 2006-07 camapign, Baird began to fulfil the potential that saw Strachan select him for that Cup final. He missed only two games all season, captaining the Saints to a sixth-place finish, scored his first three goals for the club, and his consistency saw Baird win the Player of the Award at the end of the campaign.

Baird's impressive performances attracted interest from several top flight sides and Sunderland and Fulham were locked in a battle for his services for much of the following summer. Baird's relationship with his former national team boss Lawrie Sanchez, who had then been installed as the permanent manager at Craven Cottage, proved criticial in persuading him to make the journey to London although Sunderland boss Roy Keane wasn't amused:

We have had a player this summer who didn't even ring us back because his wife wanted to move to London. He didn't even have the courtesy to pick the phone up to us. And shopping was mentioned. It might astonish many people, but it is true.

The fiery former Republic of Ireland midfielder's rant made for good copy but it was surprised many who knew Baird personally. The truth was somewhat more prosaic. Baird's wife and daughter were born and raised in Southampton and, as a family man, he preferred to relocate to London rather than Sunderland, with the capital closer to the south coast. Whilst Fulham's link to Harrods, then owned by the Cottagers' chairman, offered a plausible explanation if people bought into the celebrity and WAG culture that surrounds football but Baird's answer is pretty emphatic:

Harrods? I don't think we have been there once. We're not mad on shopping. We live with what we have got and that is enough for me.

In the tough early months at the Cottage, Baird and his family would have been forgiven for thinking they'd made the wrong decision. Sanchez, recalling Baird's unstinting service to the Northern Ireland side he turned into a team that embarassed England and Spain amongst others, picked him at right back but, with Fulham's more vitrolic supporters vilifying his side, it was a happy start to life by the Thames for Baird. He struggled against quick top flight wingers, being sent off at Aston Villa for two yellow cards, and when Sanchez's reign came to an end with Fulham in the relegation zone just before Christmas and Roy Hodgson's rescue mission saw him left out of the first-team picture, it seemed as though his days at Motspur Park might be numbered.

The new manager used him sparingly during the Great Escape, preferring new loan signing Paul Stalteri at right back, although he entered Fulham folklore after punching Jimmy Bullard in training after tiring of the shaggy-haired midfielder's jibes. The pair made up and Baird was the first to celebrate with Bullard when he marked his return to the first-team with an stoppage-time free-kick that clinched a crucial win over Villa, but given the constrast in the duo's careers since Bullard joined Hull in a big-money deal the following January, it could be argued that the Ballymena boys sized up Bullard's boorishness well before many Cottage regulars.

Baird bought into Hodgson's methods – encouraged by the manager and his coaching staff to keep going – and although he had to wait for his opportunity, despite an outstanding performance at full back in the 1-0 win over Arsenal in August 2008, he took his chance with both feet when it arrived in the unlikely form of a spell in central midfield after Hodgson had to rejig his side after injures to Danny Murphy and Jonathan Greening and the continuation of Fulham's Europa League campaign meant he was short of midfielders. Baird was outstanding in central midfield as Bullard returned to the Cottage with Hull – and appeared as a late substitute in a 2-0 Fulham win – and his reading of the game, tenacity and exceptional range of passing made him the obvious choice to continue in that position with Hodgson short of alternatives.

He stepped in and starred, making Bobby Zamora's opener at Burnley in December with a superbly quickly taken free-kick at Turf Moor in December and retained his place for the best of three months, with his combative and quiet efficiency one of the main reasons why the Whites were able to overturn that seemingly impregnable 4-1 aggregate deficit against Juventus in the Europa League second round. He made thirteen appearances in that European run and then, as now, was one of the unsung heroes of a successful side. Baird's versatility – he stepped in the following Christmas at left back for Carlos Salcido under Mark Hughes and lashed in the two goals in quick succession at Stoke that probably saved the Welshman's job – has meant he has never really been able to hold down a regular position and had to settle for life as Fulham's red addair.

It is something that suits the modest man well. He'll get a rousing reception at St. Mary's tomorrow from both sets of supporters but Baird's focus will be winning once the whistle blows, especially as he's likely to be in direct opposition to his compatriot and former Fulham team-mate Steven Davis. Baird won't shirk a challenge and his professionalism has never been in doubt, particularly after the dignified manner in which he dealt with his mum's home being firebombed by loyalist paramilitaries a couple of years ago, and the Fulham fans are now pretty chuffed to the man we've nicknamed 'Bairdiniho' running the show.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/10/from-the-boo-boy-to-bairdiniho/?

WhiteJC

Southampton - Fulham Betting Preview: Goals look guaranteed at St Mary's
With plenty of goalmouth action but few points to their name, The Saints play host to Martin Jol's side on Sunday. Al Hain-Cole is looking forward to a high-scoring encounter

If points were given out for entertainment, then Southampton would be riding high in the Premier League at the moment.

Unfortunately for Nigel Adkins though, they are not, and his side are struggling in the relegation zone with one win and six defeats from seven league games so far this season.

The Saints will be desperate to improve on this record when they take on Fulham on Sunday, and are available at 17/10 (2.70) with Sportingbet to double their win tally.

The visitors have a notoriously poor record away from home, but are slight favourites to win at St Mary's, at odds of 31/20 (2.55).

Southampton and Fulham are two of the three teams yet to draw a game in the Premier League this season, and you can get odds of 9/4 (3.25) on that record coming to an end with a stalemate here.

With little to chose between the sides in terms of match odds, the only safe thing to assume is that there will be plenty of goals in this encounter.

There have been 21 goals in The Saints' last four league games alone, and all but one of their matches have resulted in over 3.5 goals this season.

The visitors have been similarly entertaining, and have produced over 2.5 goals at either end in every Premier League game so far.

When two such great sources of goalmouth action come face to face, it would be remiss not to back over 2.5 goals being scored, especially with attractive 8/11 (1.73) odds on offer.

Four of Southampton's 10 league goals this season have come from Rickie Lambert, as last season's Championship top scorer seems to have made the step up to the top-flight without too much difficulty.

The striker has struck 92 times in 163 games for The Saints, and his potency from penalties and free-kicks means that he is always likely to pop up with a goal.

At odds of 11/2 (6.50), Lambert offers great value to get the ball rolling on Sunday.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2994/betting/2012/10/06/3426395/-?

WhiteJC

SOUTHAMPTON v FULHAM: INTERESTING OPTA STATS

Reproduced with permission from betting.betfair.com. (c) The Sporting Exchange Limited.

Neither of these teams have drawn yet, so three points should be dished out at St Mary's...

Fulham have won three and drawn four of their eight Premier League meetings with Southampton.

Fulham have won none of their four trips to St Mary's, drawing three and losing one.

The Whites haven't drawn an away Premier League game in 2012 (W4 L8).

Southampton have dropped more points from winning positions (9) than any other team in the Premier League this season.

Fulham have drawn just one of their last 21 Premier League games (W11 D1 L9).

Southampton and Fulham are two of the three teams yet to draw a game in the Premier League this season (along with Manchester United).

The Saints are the only team to concede multiple own goals this season (2).

Southampton have conceded more goals than any other side this season (18).

All but one of Southampton's league games this season have gone over 3.5 goals.

All six of Fulham's league games this season have gone over 2.5 goals.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012-2/2012033.php?

WhiteJC

Saints v Fulham: Match Preview

Southampton
Southampton took an early lead at Everton last week before conceding three quick goals within 13 short minutes. An early goal from record signing Gaston Ramirez set Saints on their way but Everton's good form and winning mentality shone through before the break. Nigel Adkins wont go away too disappointed though as Saints manage to keep the score to three with a second half clean sheet. Saints still only have the one win to their name and will be hoping to take something from this weekends televised clash at home to London based Fulham.

Nigel Adkins has no fresh injury worries although midfielder Jack Cork is still unavailable and his first league appearance of the season will have to wait at least another two weeks.

Fulham
Fulham have enjoyed a healthy start to the campaign having beaten Norwich 5-0 on the opening weekend and currently sit mid-table in the Premier League. Martin Jol as reinforced his sqaud after losing the likes of Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele to Tottenham. Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric have had a good start to their Fulham careers having already got 5 goals between them. Fulham narrowly lost out to reigning champions Manchester City last weekend with Edin Dzeko getting a last gasp winner to sink the cottagers hearts.

Fulham gaffer Martin Jol stated in his pre match press conference that he is "90% sure Dimitar Berbatov wont feature" at St Mary's this weekend. Mladen Petric is also a doubt with a calf injury but could be involved at some part.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/content.php?343-Saints-v-Fulham-Preview&s=70d3926069c2841a8f3c4799fb9199ac