News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

evening standard...dempsey on the list???

Started by jarv, July 01, 2013, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 02, 2013, 09:42:45 AM
Demps was a star for Fulham and deserves the greatest of praise for becoming a great part of our history. For whatever reason he decided his age was against him and he wanted to move on. The whole situation was badly dealt with on both sides.

I loved Clint but don't wont him to return. Never go back. Besides we have moved on and so has he. Good luck to him in everything he decides to do in the future.

Couldn't be said better.  :plus one:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Texas White on July 02, 2013, 01:07:02 PM
Playing counts for nothing if you behave like a six year old. He should have the brains to to work out the truth and fire his agent.
You cant defend white trash behavior. Shamed tx

Oh the hyperbole. fp.gif
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

fulhamben

Quote from: zschwartz on July 02, 2013, 08:36:04 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 02, 2013, 07:34:39 AM
in regards to your 5 year bit, why should we the fans be more loyal to a player than the player was to us?
5 years counts for nothing? He was plenty loyal and very clear in his intention to leave. That his contributions are completely dismissed because he wanted to try and test himself at a higher level is unreasonable.

How about some basic empathy for a professional that didn't want to comfortably age into obscurity and instead see how far he could push himself?

I hope schwarzer gets picked up in the prem and has another superb year. I'd like to see both Davies and Diarra recover and prosper. And i certainly hope Clint Dempsey is able to have some more success in europe.

Again, i don't want him back. wouldn't be the same. i know grudges and blind hatred are what make the sport so much fun... but may we please direct more of it at chelscum and less at former players who did very well in their time here.
sorry but being at a club for half the amount of time it takes to earn a testimonial is hardly anything to crow about, and how is saying why should we take someone back dissmising his goals for us?  once again should dempsey not have been plenty loyal like you suggested and moved to another club when we (the club that gave him his chance and stuck with him) wanted him to leave? probably wouldnt have been so bad if he wasnt crapping on about playing in the champions league before trying to push a move to liverpool. and then eventually spurs.  i have no grudges against clint, but like most id find it very insulting if he thinks we would gladly take him back
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Admin

We parted company with Dempsey at just the right time in my eyes, even if it was on bad terms.

He would have never replicated his last season with us, and although Dempsey put in some valuable performances for Fulham, his career was only going to be on the decline thereafter.

If anything, it was the way he left, or the way the club handled the situation which will always stick in my mind, leaving it right to the last minute so we never got a replacement and him sulking like a bloody baby.

Still, as much as Dempsey doesn't likes it, he'll always be Fulham and as long as he continues to think he's deserves a bigger club, he will never suite another another club like Fulham.

And we got 6 million.     

Jack Fulham

Thought he did fairly well last season for Spurs. Can't see him going, particularly if Bale does, they need goals especially with Adebayour and Defoe being inconsistent. Plus AVB is a big fan of him.

zschwartz

Demps was a star for Fulham and deserves the greatest of praise for becoming a great part of our history. For whatever reason he decided his age was against him and he wanted to move on. The whole situation was badly dealt with on both sides.

I loved Clint but don't wont him to return. Never go back. Besides we have moved on and so has he. Good luck to him in everything he decides to do in the future.
This is also my interpretation. I have stated earlier in the thread that i do not want him back either but due to practical reasons. the "shame" talk is unnecessary. the level of discourse on the forum is generally well, well above that of most other football-related sites. but when this topic comes up people lose all self-awareness and we become a goal.com/sky sports comment section.

We have the potential to again be a club challenging for european spots but that was not the case when dempsey left us, aging and naively selling off assets. the situation could be learned from instead of demonizing clint. We are painfully close to depriving players of dempsey/dembele's quality of any reason they might have to go.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 02, 2013, 07:13:54 PM
Thought he did fairly well last season for Spurs. Can't see him going, particularly if Bale does, they need goals especially with Adebayour and Defoe being inconsistent. Plus AVB is a big fan of him.
Bingo.  End of story.  Thank you and goodnight.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: zschwartz on July 03, 2013, 03:40:34 AM

This is also my interpretation. I have stated earlier in the thread that i do not want him back either but due to practical reasons. the "shame" talk is unnecessary. the level of discourse on the forum is generally well, well above that of most other football-related sites. but when this topic comes up people lose all self-awareness and we become a goal.com/sky sports comment section.

We have the potential to again be a club challenging for european spots but that was not the case when dempsey left us, aging and naively selling off assets. the situation could be learned from instead of demonizing clint. We are painfully close to depriving players of dempsey/dembele's quality of any reason they might have to go.

I agree, that man was a saint...

MasterHaynes

What I find interesting is that there is not one story linking him with Liverpool who so desperately wanted him last summer though they only valued him at £2m. This begs the question why the desperate attempts at tapping him up and unsettling him to get Fulham to sell him and Dempsey to sign for them.

If in fact he is made available it will be interesting to see which clubs get linked, my guess is the list will not include Rodgers Liverpool.

FFC1987

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 03, 2013, 04:55:49 AM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 02, 2013, 07:13:54 PM
Bingo.  End of story.  Thank you and goodnight.

Yep. Because thats a fact and in no way up for debate....I think throwing speculative statements like around can only put egg on face if he is indeed sold. (or sits on the bench for majority of season). I think he should move on to a CL club elsewhere and achieve his dream. Not be a bit part player for a europa club, hes achieved this already.

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: jarv on July 01, 2013, 10:32:37 PM
So, Clint's champions league dream looks all but over. The evening standard just listed a bunch of players about to be made available for transfer by Tottenham. Clint is amongst them.  Fan's comments were pleased he might be going. Food for thought. West Ham next for Clint?
Think he was more appreciated by the in the "LANE" supporter as opposed to the online rabble. I'd welcome him back. Bring Altidore with him.

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: St Eve on July 02, 2013, 02:43:58 AM
No thanks. We weren't good enough for him. He wanted to go to Liverpool and they didn't want him so he panicked. Jumped to Spurs. No Champions league football, no Europa final and no longer a star. Just another squad player.

Uh, we blocked the move to Liverpoo.

LBNo11

...Dempsey was one of my favourite players and as much as I would like to have the lad back it would never work mainly because those who bear a grudge about his departure would crucify an error. Also, I doubt he would ever play with the same heart he had for us before, even if he genuinely tried his level best.

Let's face it though, he is the past and will never return, and maybe I am happier to remember that when times were hard and all looked lost, time and again his determination would win us the day... 
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: grandad on July 02, 2013, 12:51:18 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 01, 2013, 11:52:02 PM
he made his bed. and he couldnt wait to leave us so why so many would welcome him back is beyond me. hopefully mr ambition will talk him into going to stoke with the promise of a champions league winners medal in 2 years time

:plus one:

He would not fit in any more. Kaca is a better prospect. Ruiz is a better passer, Dejadah is quicker, Berba is more skillful & Hangeland is a better central defender.
And Dempsey would still find a way to score more goals.

YankeeJim

:dead horse:  :dead horse:  :dead horse:  :dead horse:  :dead horse:  :dead horse:  :dead horse:  :dead horse:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: cottagecornerreject on July 03, 2013, 06:43:36 PM
No thanks. We weren't good enough for him. He wanted to go to Liverpool and they didn't want him so he panicked. Jumped to Spurs. No Champions league football, no Europa final and no longer a star. Just another squad player.

We didn't. They simply didn't offer enough money. They didn't want him that much it seems.

cottagecornerreject

Wouldn't necessarily call his year at spurs as a failure though. No preseason, new club, system and manager. Missed over a month with injury and still ended up third on the squad that finished one point from champions league in goals and assists. Scored a bunch of game winners and huge goals. Feel free to classify that as just another squad player.

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: The Moose on July 03, 2013, 08:25:31 PM

We didn't. They simply didn't offer enough money. They didn't want him that much it seems.
They offered more than spurs did. We were just so justified in our anger at the tapping up, no price from poo would have seen us accept an offer from them.

fulhamben

Quote from: cottagecornerreject on July 03, 2013, 10:04:24 PM
Quote from: The Moose on July 03, 2013, 08:25:31 PM

They offered more than spurs did. We were just so justified in our anger at the tapping up, no price from poo would have seen us accept an offer from them.
really, how do you know that then? it was never reported that they had come back in with an offer bigger than 2 million
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

BarryP

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 03, 2013, 06:55:00 PM
...Dempsey was one of my favourite players and as much as I would like to have the lad back it would never work mainly because those who bear a grudge about his departure would crucify an error. Also, I doubt he would ever play with the same heart he had for us before, even if he genuinely tried his level best.

Let's face it though, he is the past and will never return, and maybe I am happier to remember that when times were hard and all looked lost, time and again his determination would win us the day... 

:plus one:
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."