more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (21/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 21, 2012, 08:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sidwell Refutes Zamora Claim

Like we`ve said previously, Bobby Zamora really should concentrate on other matters.

His outlandish claim that most of the Fulham squad have a bone to pick with Martin Jol continues to look a foolish claim and Zamora would be better served devoting all his time and energy to Queens Park Rangers relegation fight than persisting with this clap-trap.

But if you were in any doubt that all was not well at Craven Cottage then Steve Sidwell has stepped forward to put the record straight, remarking ahead of the visit from his former club, Aston Villa,

"We have a fine relationship with the manager."

"He has always been honest and straight down the line with me as a player and that is all you can ask for. Every player`s relationship with a manager is different."

"There are times when I have needed a kick up the backside and he has given me it."

"There have been times when I have needed an arm around my shoulder and he has given me that too."

Now can we put this matter to bed and ignore that attention seeking diva over at Loftus Road.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296943#ixzz29umHG9sj

WhiteJC

An Injury Nightmare

The return to full fitness of Steve Sidwell couldn`t have come at a better time.

With the midfield having been seriously depleted by the departures of Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu, Sidwell`s re-emergence has been like a breath of fresh air.

But, it transpires that Sidwell, courtesy of a bad run of injuries last term, almost gave up the game with the 29 year-old confessing to the media, ahead of the clash with Aston Villa,

"It was a hernia that turned into a groin problem, then an abdominal problem, it was a nightmare."

"The last operation could have been the last throw of the dice but it worked."

"There was a time when I sat down with my advisors to look at what circumstances I would be in if I had to thrown in the towel."

"That was a really bad time as football is something I`ve done since I was five years old and don`t know anything else." It was scary."

"Fortunately I had this operation that worked and I did all the rehab."

Lie we said earlier, glad to have you back Steve!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296942#ixzz29umVrQon

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Could Philippe Senderos be just the tonic for Cottagers' leaky backline?

Martin Jol is set to be handed a huge defensive boost with the return of Philippe Senderos to first-team action after a long injury lay-off. Many, particularly Arsenal fans who watched Senderos' confidence and performances collapse in his spell at the Emirates, will sneer at the suggestion that the Switzerland international's return to fitness could possibly aid Fulham's backline. However, there is no doubt at the moment that the side very much need him.

Firstly, the Fulham manager is a huge fan of the 27-year-old and indeed placed much faith in him last season as the first choice central-defensive partner for skipper Brede Hangeland. The partnership on paper looks a little unconventional to say the least, what with neither being the quickest nor possessing strong technical abilities on the ball. However, what they are are simple, old-fashioned defenders and with Fulham's free-flowing attackers often leaving their defensive counterparts exposed, the central-defensive duo's unfussy attitude both with and without the ball proved a useful tonic.

However, Senderos' foot injury picked up in pre-season has left Hangeland partnered by Aaron Hughes for the opening stages of this season. While the partnership was once the byword for solidity during Roy Hodgson's tenure at Craven Cottage, the two have looked rather paceless and pedestrian at times so far. Flanked by the equally mistake-prone Sascha Riether and John Arne Riise, Fulham's backline have been alarmingly poor at times, with late concessions against Manchester City and Southampton costing the Cottagers dearly.

Indeed Hangeland, for so long a pillar of strength at the back for the Cottagers has struggled somewhat this season and while Fulham fans may be keen to brush it off as a simple bad patch, the fear is that at the age of 31 the Norwegian's time may be running out at Craven Cottage. Thus, the return of Senderos, though hardly representing an upsurge of pace or experience from Hughes, may in turn coax the best out of his captain once again, simply through familiarisation if not anything else.

Additionally, Senderos' appearances last season seemed to suggest a return to somewhere near the sort of confidence that saw him burst onto the Arsenal scene in early 2005 and display form that kept Sol Campbell out of the FA Cup final victory over Manchester United - Arsenal's last trophy let's not forget - that May. Indeed, such were the quality of his displays that Senderos was even being talked of in the same breath as Tony Adams, particularly after he was awarded the Arsenal number 6 shirt for the 2006-07 season.

However, although his Gunners career would eventually crumble around him, that should not detract from his extremely competent displays in a Fulham shirt and if he can recapture the form that made him a regular at Craven Cottage last season, then Martin Jol may well have found the answer to his defensive prayers.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_17210_fulham-focus-could-philippe-senderos-be-just-the-tonic-for-cottagers'-leaky-backline.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Aston Villa 0: Baird's lucky winner puts Lambert under pressure

The worst assist ever? It sounds harsh coming from your own manager, but the hero of Craven Cottage won't mind.

Chris Baird celebrated his 200th League appearance with a dramatic winner six minutes from time — but Martin Jol called it a fluke.

With only the sixth goal of his career, Baird turned John Arne Riise's inswinging corner past Brad Guzan to secure points neither team truly deserved.

Winner: Baird is mobbed after his goal

It wasn't Baird's match-winning contribution which was considered fortuitous by the hard-to-please Dutchman.

'Chris is very good at attacking the near post,' purred Jol in typically hushed tones. But he argued that Riise did not mean to put the ball anywhere near that post in the first place.

'It was the worst corner kick ever,' said Jol, to gasps and chuckles of surprise. 'Someone said it was deliberate, but I don't think it was!'

Seconds later, Villa substitute Christian Benteke should have equalised but fired wide.

Fulham had at least started brightly and might have gone ahead early. Kieran Richardson's shot was blocked after fine work from Dimitar Berbatov. The classy Bulgarian's chipped cross a few minutes later deserved a better header from his strike partner, Mladen Petric.

The ineffectual Petric then headed weakly into the arms of Guzan, while at the other end Gabriel Agbonlahor's shot was deflected, leaving Mark Schwarzer a simple save.

Richardson saw another effort deflected wide. He would be denied in the second half, too, by obstructive Villa defenders, just when he seemed on the verge of a breakthrough.

No wonder Jol gave Ashkan Dejagah his debut 20 minutes from time, as the game threatened to run out of steam long before the final whistle.

High hopes: Aston Villa's Fabien Delph (right) is challenged by Steve Sidwell

Darren Bent had chances, but did not look capable of converting one. Matthew Lowton's impressive cross simply skimmed off Bent's head. He failed to attack what service he had with sufficient vigour, and it was no surprise when Villa manager Paul Lambert ended the England striker's afternoon with 15 minutes left.

By then, Steve Sidwell had squandered a promising dead ball from Hugo Rodallega and then the Colombian had sliced a volley of his own.

Eyes on the ball: Dimitar Berbatov take on the Villa defence

On the up: Fulham cemented their place in the top half

Struggling: Villa have now gone four games without a win

The service from both sets of midfielders lacked vision. When a pass across the turf was required, they floated the ball hopelessly high. When a player was in space demanding the ball, he was ignored as though his teammate was blinkered.

'Some of the football was great,' said Lambert with breathtaking spin. 'We deserved something out of it.'

Plenty to ponder: Villa boss Paul Lambert

So what was admirable about this mediocre afternoon in West London? Only the defenders who blocked shots bravely, notably those in Villa shirts, and that the large crowd did not go home and leave them all to it long before that solitary goal.

'The fans understood our problems, that Petric and Berbatov had never played together, and they stayed with us,' acknowledged Jol. 'It was a question of grinding out a result.'

Striking it Rich: Fulham's Kieran Richardson has an effort on goal

Close encounter: Sidwell is closed down by Stephen Ireland

Game over: Baird beats Guzan from inside the box

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2220547/Fulham-1-Aston-Villa-0--match-report.html#ixzz29uoG5mkU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Aston Villa 0: match report
Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Fulham and Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Saturday Oct 20, 2012.

Friends reunited: Steve Sidwell (foreground) faced his former team-mates when Aston Villa travelled south to Fulham's Craven Cottage
Photo: AP

Marginalising senior players is a risky business, especially for new managers, so it seemed a sensible move for Paul Lambert to bring agitated Darren Bent back into Aston Villa's starting line-up.

Sadly for the Villa manager, politically helpful decisions are not always the most efficient ones. Bent was virtually anonymous, as Villa offered scant threat going forward, while the in-form Christian Benteke sat on the bench for most of the game. The end product was another nil next to Villa's name and a deserved victory for Fulham who, in contrast, created chances aplenty.

Chris Baird was the man who finally rewarded their persistence when he finished a John Arne Riise corner, ghosting in to steer the ball home at the near post. Villa, meanwhile, left here with this season's goal tally stuck on six from eight Premier League games.

Discussing Bent's selection, Lambert said: "Christian had two hard games with Belgium. Darren was fresh. I thought he did fine." That was an unconvincing verdict. But Benteke did not help his own cause, shooting wide late on.

Fulham's own talisman, Dimitar Berbatov, created early chances as Kieran Richardson's snappy strike forced Brad Guzan to save and Mladen Petric headed wide.

The hosts wasted more openings as Berbatov hooked over and Steve Sidwell headed high, then Hugo Rodallega fired over from six yards in the second half. Villa's resistance was finally broken by Baird, leading Fulham manager Martin Jol to say: "It was probably the worst corner-kick ever but if you attack the ball you can score." The relief could be felt all around the Fulham support. For Villa, the anxiety goes on.

Match details
Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Rodallega, Sidwell (Karagounis 84), Baird, Richardson (Dejagah 71); Petric (Diarra 64), Berbatov.
Subs not used: Stockdale (gk), Senderos, Kasami, Kacaniklic.
Booked: Riise.

Aston Villa (4-2-3-1): Guzan; Lowton, Vlaar, Baker (Lichaj 62), Bennett; El Ahmadi, Delph; Holman, Ireland (N'Zogbia 66), Agbonlahor; Bent (Benteke 75).
Subs not used: Given (gk), Albrighton, Bannan, Weimann.
Booked: El Ahmadi, Lichaj.

Ref: Chris Foy (Merseyside).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9619957/Fulham-1-Aston-Villa-0-match-report.html

WhiteJC

Fulham hero Baird buries Villa
Cottagers leave it late to defeat visitors

Fulham continued their excellent run at Craven Cottage thanks to a late Chris Baird goal to defeat Aston Villa.

Martin Jol's side have now recorded five wins from their last six games at home with the Northern Irishman netting the winner six minutes from time.

John Arne Riise's inswinging corner was met by the defender who stole in at the near post to slot the ball past Brad Guzan for only his third goal on his 150th appearance for the club.

Villa's chances were few and far between, but their best chance of the match came immediately after the opening goal.

They went straight down the other end through Charles N'Zogbia and his cross found substitute Christian Benteke in space, but the in-form striker somehow fired his right-foot shot wide from close-range.

Fulham had been the better side, with Dimitar Berbatov in commanding form on his comeback from a hip injury, but they had failed to convert a hatful of chances.

Darren Bent failed to make much of an impression - glancing one header wide and otherwise cutting a picture of frustration up front - unlike Berbatov as Villa endured more away day misery.

Action

The serene Bulgarian was immediately into the action, playing a key role as Fulham pressed Guzan into action twice inside the first five minutes.

Berbatov found a yard of space inside the Villa box and turned on Kieran Richardson's pass but Guzan reacted quickly to palm the shot away from an acute angle.

The Bulgarian still has this wonderful ability to play the game at his own pace and he calmly held off the attentions of Nathan Baker to bring Sascha Riether into the box.

The German full-back squeezed a pass through to Richardson six yards out but Guzan blocked his shot and Riether's effort from the rebound went wide.

Baker's response was to hack Berbatov down from behind, which seemed just about the only way Villa were going to win the ball off him today.

Fulham appeared capable of scoring every time they were in possession.

Chris Baird and Steve Sidwell anchored the midfield and they always hadrunners, with John Arne Riise and Riether given the freedom to attack from full-back and stretch Villa.

At times Fulham played with five attackers as Richardson, Hugo Rodallega and the busy Mladen Petric supported Berbatov in causing Villa problems.

Brede Hangeland ran out of defence and slid a pass to Berbatov, who clipped a magnificent cross on the turn towards Baird but the header was wide.

Gabriel Agbonlahor created Villa's first opportunity himself, cutting in from the left before unleashing a deflected shot which brought a diving save from Mark Schwarzer.

Bent could not get enough on Matthew Lowton's cross from the right wing and his glancing header drifted harmlessly wide but that was as close as Villa came in the first half.

Riise whipped one cross in for Berbatov, who did well to force a save from Guzan, and then another for Rodallega but the Colombian headed wide.

Agbonlahor was working hard for Villa and he tried to pick out Bent in the Fulham box but Sidwell, enjoying a strong game against his old club, was on hand to intercept.

Bright

Villa started the second-half brightly, with Agbonlahor heading over the bar from Lowton's cross but Fulham still looked the more likely team to score.

Karim El Ahmadi was booked for a foul on Berbatov that checked a Fulham counter-attack.

Berbatov failed to make decent contact as he attempted an acrobatic volley after Rodallega's cross had fallen to him at the far post.

Villa failed to clear their lines properly and it required a brave block from Lowton to deny Richardson, before Bent was replaced by Benteke.

Ashkan Dejagah came on for Fulham to make his debut and was quickly in the thick of the action, stinging Guzan's hands with a 25-yard drive after some sublime build-up play.

Then came the breakthrough. Baird stole in front of Eric Lichaj, Fabian Delph and Bennett to get a touch to Riise's corner and beat Guzan at the near post.

The reaction inside Craven Cottage as much one of relief as celebration - although that should have been cut short immediately.

Charles N'Zogbia squared the ball to Benteke six yards out but he inexplicably failed to hit the target and with that miss went Villa's hopes of a point.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/261631/report?

WhiteJC

Fulham's home run goes on as Chris Baird's late goal downs Aston Villa

Fulham's manager, Martin Jol, enjoyed a sight he had never seen before as the home side left it late to beat Aston Villa with a goal from his versatile midfielder Chris Baird. The Northern Ireland international emerged with an unlikely winner in the 84th minute as he beat the Villa goalkeeper, Brad Guzan, with a deft touch from John Arne Riise's near-post corner to score his sixth career goal in his 200th league appearance.

The Belgium international Christian Benteke, a second-half substitute for Darren Bent, then missed a clear chance for Villa, who have now not won in 13 away Premier League matches.

Fulham deserved their point, although Jol was frustrated his side had not converted one of their myriad earlier chances to take control of the match. "Baird is very good at attacking the near post, he is always close but he hasn't scored for as long as I have known him," Jol said. "It was most probably the worst corner kick ever. I don't think it was a good delivery but because he attacked the ball he could score.

"It is about players being at the end of the delivery and it was nice to see Chris there. We should have scored a goal earlier. I thought we played really well for the first 15 minutes. After that they had too much possession for my liking. It was a result ground out by us but I don't care. We need the points. We have to be strong at home. I am very pleased."

Jol was forced to reshuffle his front line after Damien Duff withdrew through illness and Bryan Ruiz through injury, with Hugo Rodallega pressed into action on the right.

Dimitar Berbatov returned from a hip injury and made an immediate impression – far more so than Villa's returning striker Bent. The only down side of Berbatov's performance, in Jol's mind, was that he did not hit the target with an audacious volley.

"I am very pleased," Jol said. "The forward line had never played together before so to get a result like this is special for us. [Berbatov's performance] would have been better if he had scored – normally he scores from volleys. He wants to take responsibility, he feels good, he loves the atmosphere at the training ground and it's a new challenge for him."

The Villa manager, Paul Lambert, was reluctant to criticise Benteke for his late miss. "From where I was standing I don't know how far away it was and how close the shot was. I don't know if it was a chance," Lambert said.

"He will be a big player for this club. He is in one hell of a national side at the minute and performing really well. He will be fine. He is a handful.

"He changes the dynamics of a game at certain times. He will be a big player for us. Chris had two hard games with the national team. Darren was fresh, I thought Darren and Gabby [Agbonlahor] did fine.

"Some of the football we played was great and we gave as good as we got. We came here, where their form has been really good, and gave a good account of ourselves.

"I thought we played well at Newcastle and Tottenham. The only game I have been disappointed at was Everton. There are a lot of good things. We have to turn the good things into wins."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/20/premierleague-fulham?

WhiteJC

Baird nets late winner

Chris Baird upstaged his returning team-mate Dimitar Berbatov with the late winner as Fulham defeated Aston Villa 1-0.

Baird got a deft touch to John Arne Riise's near-post corner to beat goalkeeper Brad Guzan and deny Villa what looked increasingly like a battling point.

Fulham had been the better side, with Berbatov in commanding form on his comeback from a hip injury, but they had failed to convert a hatful of chances.

Berbatov, back from injury, was first to threaten when he found a yard of space inside the Villa box and turned on Kieran Richardson's pass but Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan reacted quickly to palm the shot away from an acute angle.

Guzan then blocked a Richardson shot, with Sascha Riether shooting wide from the rebound. Brede Hangeland ran out of defence and slid a pass to Berbatov, who clipped a magnificent cross on the turn towards Baird, but the header was wide.

Gabriel Agbonlahor created Villa's first opportunity himself, cutting in from the left before unleashing a deflected shot which brought a diving save from Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

John Arne Riise whipped one cross in for Berbatov, who did well to force a save from Guzan, and then another for Hugo Rodallega but the Colombian headed wide.

In the second half, Berbatov failed to make decent contact as he attempted an acrobatic volley after Rodallega's cross had fallen to him at the far post.

Ashkan Dejagah came on for Fulham to make his debut and was quickly in the thick of the action, stinging Guzan's hands with a 25-yard drive. Then came the breakthrough. Baird stole in front of Eric Lichaj, Fabian Delph and Joe Bennett to get a touch to Riise's corner and beat Guzan at the near post.

The reaction inside Craven Cottage as much one of relief as celebration - although that should have been cut short immediately. Charles N'Zogbia squared the ball to Christian Benteke six yards out but he failed to hit the target and with that miss went Villa's hopes of a point.

Press Association

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/baird-nets-late-winner-3266192.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Aston Villa 0: Full time report

Fulham midfielder Chris Baird upstaged his returning team-mate Dimitar Berbatov with the late winner as Fulham condemned Aston Villa to more away day misery.Baird got a deft touch to John Arne Riise's near-post corner to beat goalkeeper Brad Guzan and deny Villa what looked increasingly like a battling point.

Fulham had been the better side, with Berbatov in commanding form on his comeback from a hip injury, but they had failed to convert a hatful of chances.

The home support were beginning to get edgy when the man they hail as "Bairdinho" popped up with the kind of finish Berbatov would have been proud of to snatch the points for Fulham.

Villa, who had not won on the road in 13 Barclays Premier League matches dating back to January, had a chance to rescue a point but Christian Benteke missed a sitter from close-range.

Benteke had been sent on for Darren Bent, who was restored to the Villa starting line-up after being dropped for the last two matches.

Bent failed to make much of impression - glancing one header wide and otherwise cutting a picture of frustration up front - unlike Berbatov.

The serene Bulgarian was immediately into the action, playing a key role as Fulham pressed Guzan into action twice inside the first five minutes.

Berbatov found a yard of space inside the Villa box and turned on Kieran Richardson's pass but Guzan reacted quickly to palm the shot away from an acute angle.

The Bulgarian still has this wonderful ability to play the game at his own pace and he calmly held off the attentions of Nathan Baker to bring Sascha Riether into the box.

The German full-back squeezed a pass through to Richardson six yards out but Guzan blocked his shot and Riether's effort from the rebound went wide.

Baker's response was to hack Berbatov down from behind, which seemed just about the only way Villa were going to win the ball off him today.

Fulham appeared capable of scoring every time they were in possession.

Chris Baird and Steve Sidwell anchored the midfield and they always had runners, with John Arne Riise and Riether given the freedom to attack from full-back and stretch Villa.

At times Fulham played with five attackers as Richardson, Hugo Rodallega and the busy Mladen Petric supported Berbatov in causing Villa problems.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/10/20/fulham-1-aston-villa-0-full-time-report-97319-32072505/?#ixzz29urdLqJp

WhiteJC

Martin Jol voiced his delight after Fulham clinched victory over Aston Villa

Fulham boss Martin Jol admitted his delight at watching his side seal three points against Aston Villa thanks to a late Chris Baird winner.

The defender got a deft touch to John Arne Riise's near-post corner to beat goalkeeper Brad Guzan and deny Villa what looked increasingly like a battling point.

The Cottagers had failed to convert a hatful of chances during the match, but the Dutchman was relieved in the end as his side secured a 10th win in their last 14 Premier League games at home.

He told Sky Sports: "There was a big relief (when the ball hit the back of the net).

"Of course, if you play against this style with a diamond formation, you have to punish them and we tried to do that.

"Certainly on the ball we were great, but off the ball we weren't as good, especially in the second half.

"We talked about set-pieces before the game and he (Baird) is not the biggest, but he's great in the air, so I really thought it was going to be his day today although he scored in a different way."

Jol also praised the recovery of Mahamadou Diarra after knee surgery. The Mali midfielder came on as a second-half substitute and immediately looked comfortable.

Jol said: "The medical staff thought he was going to be out for three or four weeks, but after the operation it could have been more. He really has made an excellent recovery and played again today."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8182117?

WhiteJC

Baird's late winner breaks Villa
by DAN on OCTOBER 20, 2012

Chris Baird celebrates his late winner in front of the Hammersmith End

They say good teams grind out results even when the peformances are far from fluent. Fulham's steady progression under Martin Jol has seen them play far more scintilating football at Craven Cottage this season, but the Dutch boss beamed with delight after his side denied Aston Villa a battling point six minutes from time. On the day that the likes of Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric returned to the Fulhajm starting line-up, it was the unlikely figure of Chris Baird, making his 150th appearance for the Whites, who settled the contest, guiding John Arne Riise's corner past Brad Guzan at the near post.

Fulham were certainly more enterprising than their visitors, whose miserable run without an away win is now extended to fourteen matches, but for all their pretty possession Jol's side failed to regularly stretch Guzan. Most of the hosts' exquisite approach play flowed through the returning Berbatov, who was buzzing around the Villa box with intent inside the first two minutes. The Bulgarian did force a stretching save from Guzan after working an opening with Kieran Richardson and the former Sunderland midfielder saw his own effort pushed away by the goalkeeper moments later after Berbatov's ball had sent the impressive Sascha Riether raiding into the penalty area.

Jol's decision to field an attacking line-up which saw Berbatov floating behind Petric but also encouraged Richardson and Hugo Rodallega to get forward appeared to surprise Villa, who were the slower to settle. But after Fulham's initial flurry they failed to find the penetration and the finishing touch to unduly worry Guzan. Baird headed wide from a delightful Berbatov cross and Hangeland headed over from a corner, before Paul Lambert's side began to exert some influence on the contest. Gabby Agbonlahor made Villa's first opening all by himself, cutting in from the left and shooting from just outside the box after being allowed to carry the ball across the area, but his deflected effort was smothered by a sprawling Schwarzer.

Lambert opted to start with Darren Bent in attack, supported by Agbonlahor and Brett Holman, but the one-time England forward endured a trying afternoon. Desperate to make an impact after being left out of Villa's last two fixtures, Bent was largely isolated and when he did finally have a sight of goal, he couldn't capitalise. He sent one header harmlessly wide before being denied another opportunity by a fine saving tackle from Steve Sidwell and it was little surprise when Lambert opted to end Bent's afternoon early by introducing Belgian international Christian Benteke from the bench as time ticked away.

Villa had actually started the second period nin enterprising fashion with Agbonlahor sending a header over from Matthew Lowton's dangerous cross, but it took the arrival of substitute Charles N'Zogbia to add the energy and vitality to threaten Fulham's rearguard. The home side pressed for a winner but Rodallega inexplicably miscued at the back post after being found by a Berbatov lofted pass and the Bulgarian sliced an acrobatic overhead kick over the bar when the Colombian returned the favour.

Jol's summoning of Ashkan Dejagah from the sidelines to make his Fulham debut enlivened proceedings. The Iranian international immediately looked to attack his full-back and Guzan did well to beat away a fierce drive from the former Wolsburg winger after Baird and Sidwell combined to create the opening. Just as it looked as though Villa might record a morale-boosting point, Baird burst past three defenders to turn home Riise's corner with six minutes left. Even after that setback, Lambert's side should have levelled the contest only for Benteke to fail to find the net from N'Zogbia's cut back.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Schwarzer; Riether, J.A. Riise, Hughes, Hangeland; Baird, Sidwell (Karagounis 84); Richardson (Dejagah 70), Rodallega, Berbatov; Petric (Diarra 64). Subs (not used): Stockdale, Senderos, Kasami, Kacaniklic.

BOOKED: J.A. Riise.

GOAL: Baird (84).

ASTON VILLA (4-2-3-1): Guzan; Baker (Lichaj 62), Lowton, Vlaar, Bennett; El Ahmadi, Delph; Agbonlahor, Holman, Ireland (N'Zogbia 66); Bent (Benteke 75). Subs (not used): Given, Bannan, Albrighton, Weimann.

BOOKED: Baker, El Ahmadi.

REFEREE: Chris Foy (Birkenhead).

ATTENDANCE: 25,693

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/10/bairds-late-winner-breaks-villa/?

WhiteJC

We've Got Bairdinho

Fulham's match winner Chris Baird was a relieved man on Saturday afternoon after his side left it late to secure all three points against Aston Villa.

The Whites were the better side throughout but struggled to break down a resilient Villa side, having to wait until the 84th minute for Baird's winning goal.

"It looked like they were going to frustrate us and it felt that way during the game," Chris told fulhamfc.com after the match. "It was really frustrating for us as we couldn't play our stuff but in the end, no matter how you play, if we get the win then we'll not complain.

"Three points is three points at the end of the day. Some games you play really well and you lose, or vice versa; you play badly and you win. Today, I just don't think we were quite ourselves – I don't know what the reasons were, but it's three points and I'm happy for us."

A popular man down by the banks of the Thames, his late winner drew deafening chants of "we've got Bairdinho" by the Fulham fans, and the Northern Ireland international admitted it was music to his ears.

"It's nice to hear the chants," he said. "I was due a goal as obviously the two I scored were at Stoke [in December 2010]. I always make that front post run so I thought I'd try it again and luckily it fell for me, I got a good touch on it and it went in so I'm happy for myself and for the team."

Mladen Petric and Dimitar Berbatov impressed on their returns to the starting XI, while Mahamadou Diarra and Ashkan Dejagah provided a fresh impetus when they entered the action, and Bairdy is delighted with the strength in depth that we can now boast.

"It bodes well," he admitted. "We've got a very strong squad now as there are players who had injuries coming back and doing well. That can only mean good things for us and good competition for everyone so it's going to be a really good next couple of games for us."

Martin Jol was full of praise for his midfielder, who has been a model of consistency for Fulham over the years, and our Manager highlighted Baird's versatility as a major attribute.

"I explained that we needed a new identity in midfield and that he [Baird] could help me and he did that because he's a good football player," Jol explained.

"Last year he played right-back and centre-back but I'm very pleased that he's so versatile and could do that job for us - he's very important for us. He's probably on top of his game and that's what we needed today.

"He's doing so well and that means he's always in consideration in my mind to play him because he's becoming more and more important for us and that is good because my midfield must be good."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/20/weve-got-bairdinho?

WhiteJC

Jol savours rare Baird strike

Martin Jol enjoyed a sight he had never seen before as Fulham left it late to beat Aston Villa at Craven Cottage - a goal from his versatile midfielder Chris Baird.

The Northern Ireland international emerged as the unlikely hero, beating Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan with a deft touch from John Arne Riise's near-post corner.

Christian Benteke then missed a golden chance to snatch a point for Villa, who have not won on the road in 13 Barclays Premier League matches.

Fulham deserved their point, although Jol was frustrated his side had not converted one of their myriad of earlier chances to take control of the match.

Baird eventually popped up to score the winner with only his sixth career goal in his 200th league appearance.

"Baird is very good at attacking the near post, he is always close but he hasn't scored for as long as I have known him," Jol said.

"It was most probably the worst corner kick ever. I don't think it was a good delivery but because he attacked the ball he could score.

"It is about players being at the end of the delivery and it was nice to see Chris there.

"We should have scored a goal earlier. I thought we played really well for the first 15 minutes.

"After that they had too much possession for my liking. It was a result ground out by us but I don't care. We need the points.

"We have to be strong at home. I am very pleased."

Jol was forced to reshuffle his front line after Damien Duff withdrew through illness and Bryan Ruiz through injury, with Hugo Rodallega pressed into action on the right.

Dimitar Berbatov returned from a hip injury and made an immediate impression - far more so than Villa's returning striker Darren Bent.

The only down side of Berbatov's performance, in Jol's mind, was that he did not hit the target with an audacious volley.

"I am very pleased. The forward forward line had never played together before so to get a result like this is special for us," Jol said.

"(Berbatov's performance) would have been better if he had scored - normally he scores from volleys!

"He wants to take responsibility, he feels good, he loves the atmosphere at the training ground and it's a new challenge for him."

For Lambert, it was another dose of the away-day blues but he attempted to put a positive spin on the defeat.

"I thought some of the football we played was great. I thought we gave as good as we got," Lambert said.

"We came here, where their form has been really good, and gave a good account of ourselves.

"I thought we played well at Newcastle and Tottenham. The only game I have been disappointed at was Everton.

"There are a lot of good things. We have to turn the good things into wins."

Bent returned to the side in place of Benteke, after being dropped for the last two matches, but was ineffectual up front for Villa.

"Chris had two hard games with the national team. Darren was fresh, I thought Darren and Gabby (Agbonlahor) did fine.

"I thought he (Bent) did really fine. I thought him and Gabby worked well and worked hard together."

Benteke should have earned Villa a point but he put Charles N'Zogbia's cross wide from close range.

"From where I was standing I don't know how far away it was and how close the shot was. I don't know if it was a chance," Lambert said.

"He will be a big player for this club. He is in one hell of a national side at the minute and performing really well. He will be fine.

"He is a handful. He changes the dynamics of a game at certain times. He will be a big player for us. He has got years to go in his career."

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-10-20/jol-savours-rare-baird-strike/?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Fulham Manager Martin Jol praised the contribution of his Team today, as the Whites recorded a valuable 1-0 defeat of Aston Villa at Craven Cottage.

With Damien Duff and Bryan Ruiz absent, Fulham were boosted by the returns of Dimitar Berbatov, Mladen Petric and Mahamadou Diarra, as well as the debut of Ashkan Dejagah in what was a very attack minded Fulham XI.

"At times we had four forward players that hadn't played together before, so it was difficult," said Jol. "With a few players missing, like Duffer and Bryan, we had to make a few changes. It was hard, but I think the fans understood.

"I put Ashkan Dejagah and Giorgos Karagounis on in the second-half – and again that's two other relatively new players. So it's a bit of a transition.

"In the first-half we should have punished them because we had a lot of the ball and created more chances. But after the break our 4-4-2 didn't really work against Aston Villa's diamond, so we changed things a little.

"At times it was like an away game for us, because they [Villa] frustrated us. Mahamadou Diarra made a difference too when he came on, he really drove us forward.

"I thought the players that came on did well, and Dejagah who came in following injury looked really sharp and bright in possession. It was a pleasing debut for him.

"It wasn't the best performance we will see at Craven Cottage but, at the end of the day, we are very happy with the three points. The points are more important anyway, so we can go away and be satisfied with the outcome."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/20/manager-reaction?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Chris Baird could not hide his delight after scoring the winner to sink Aston Villa

Chris Baird: Scored only his third goal for the club on his 150th appearance

Fulham match-winner Chris Baird could not hide his delight after scoring six minutes from time to sink Aston Villa at Craven Cottage.

The Northern Ireland defender bagged only his third goal for the club on his 150th appearance to secure all three Premier League points.

Baird was alert as he got a deft touch to John Arne Riise's near-post corner to beat goalkeeper Brad Guzan and deny Villa a point.

And he told Sky Sports: "It's fantastic. Really chuffed to get the goal for myself but obviously for the team as well as a vital three points for us.

"It was a hard game because we didn't play well, but at the end of the day it was three points.

There was quite a celebration after the experienced player bagged the all-important goal in front of the home fans.

"It was just frustrating for myself on a personal note and actually when I scored it all came out and we held on to eventually get the win," he added.

"I like doing that run (at the front post for the goal) usually for the header at the near post but Johnny Riise miss-hit his corner. But like I say, I got across and got the vital touch, so all good."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8182378?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol explains substitution

Fulham manager Martin Jol defended his decision to replace striker Mladen Petric with midfielder Mahamadou Diarra during the 1-0 win at home to Aston Villa.

With the visitors controlling the midfield and on course to pick up a point at Craven Cottage, Jol opted to make the change.

And his decision was vindicated when Chris Baird's late goal gave the Whites all three points.

Jol said: "It looked a bit negative to take a striker off but it was necessary for the balance of the team.

"Sometimes it works against you if you've got two number nines in your team and you can't get the ball to them – if they can't do anything creative then you have to think about the balance of the team.

"Villa had more balance with the 4-4-2 diamond so I had to repair that, to bring the balance in midfield. After Diarra came on I felt we started to play."

Jol admitted his side were fortunate to beat Villa but praised them for grinding out a victory.

Baird, on his 200th career league appearance, flicked home John Arne Riise's corner five minutes from time.

"I thought we played really well in the first 15 minutes but after that they had too much possession for my liking," said Jol.

"In the first half we were very good with the ball but in the second half we didn't play well enough to say three points were deserved.

"It was a result that was ground out but I don't care – we needed the points."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss17-jol-explains3-substitution?

WhiteJC

Chris Baird's late strike edges Fulham past Aston Villa

Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa

FULHAM left it late – but Chris Baird stole in to steer in a corner at the near post to secure three points.

It had begun to look as if the Whites would miss out, having seen a promising start fizzle out during a strangely lacklustre second half.

But the Northern Irishman's first of the season from a John Arne Riise corner after 84 minutes ended the torment.

The set piece was won after debutant Ashkan Dejagh – an Iranian brought over from German side Wolsburg – had come off the bench to force keeper Brad Guzan into a tip-over.

Although the win was merited, this not Fulham's finest afternoon at the Cottage, in spite of the early evidence that we might be in for a treat.

Dimitar Berbatov was back – full of his usual guile – and Martin Jol could hardly have sent out a more attacking line-up, with Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega operating a three-man attack.

It was not long before the Whites were pouring forward confidently.

Kieran Richardson, making his first appearance at the Cottage, was soon profiting from the silky touch of Berbatov to shoot on the turn – Guzan's legs coming to the rescue for Villa.

Then another deft touch, turn and chip from Berbatov gave Petric a glimpse of goal – a header from the Croatian going wide.

Riise's familiar overlaps added to the angles from which Fulham were posing threats and with Rodallega also looking in the mood, a goal looked just a question of time at that stage.

Steve Sidwell also headed a Rodallega free-kick just over and it was something of a mystery why the deadlock had still not been broken by the 45 minute mark.

Villa seldom got forward in numbers and the service to Darren Bent and Gaby Agbonlahor was minimal, to say the least.

The interval gave Paul Lambert the chance to wake up his side and Villa showed more intent at the second half, with Agbonlahor almost turning in a low cross from Stephen Ireland.

But Villa were limited and the action was soon back at the Hammersmith End, where Berbatov guided a volley off target and Richardson had a goalbound effort blocked.

Yet Fulham could not quite summon up the devil in their play to suggest a goal was as inevitable as it had once seemed, and by the end, Baird's winner came almost as a surprise.

Line-up: Schwarzer; Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Riise; Baird, Sidwell (Karagounis 84), Richardson (Dejagah 70); Rodallega, Berbatov, Petric (Diarra 64). Subs not used: Stockdale, Senderos, Kasami, Dejagah, Kacaniklic. Attendance: 25,693

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2012/10/20/82029-32071906/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa: Player ratings
by DAN on OCTOBER 21, 2012

Kieran Richardson fires in an early shot against Aston Villa

It might not have been a vintage Fulham performance that saw Martin Jol's side scrape past Aston Villa yesterday afternoon, but the manager himself made a point of mentioning how pleased he was with the three points. After the concession of three successive last-gasp goals (only one of which, at Wigan) didn't cost the Whites any points, it was doubly pleasing that Chris Baird's timely near post raid to meet a scuffed John Arne Riise corner delivered some late cheer. The most positive point must be that there's some genuinely titantic battles for places in the Fulham side these days and the squad arguably looks as strong as it has ever been.

Schwarzer: The Australian managed his first clean sheet since turning 40 and organised the Fulham defence excellently. Aston Villa didn't test him too much but Schwarzer saved well from Agbonlahor and Holman. Just as importantly, the goalkeeper's swift and varied distribution released Fulham's raiding full-backs quickly to turn defence into attack. 7

Riether: Arguably the man of the match. The loanee has done little wrong since arriving almost unheralded from Cologne in the summer and after creating both goals at Southampton, he was an effective outlet down the right again here. One attacking burst into the box created an early chance for Kieran Richardson and Riether was eager to overlap like Riise on the other side, without sacrificing his defensive diligence. 8

Riise: With Riether offering an offensive outlet, Jol's indulgence of Riise's attacking instinct suddenly doesn't leave the defence looking lobsided. The Norwegian's lung-busting runs down the flank presented several opportunities for Fulham to switch the play and stretch Villa's disciplined defence, which was badly needed since the Whites sorely missed Duff's genuine width. His two scuffed corners weren't the greatest, but one of them – meant for Chris Baird's head at the near post – ended up creating the winner in any case. 7

Hangeland: Far more assured than at St. Mary's thirteen days ago but that was always likely to be the case as Darren Bent doesn't have the stature to make life uncomfortable physically for Hangeland like a Lambert or Carroll. He sent a first half header over from a corner and also carried the ball forward before finding Berbatov with a low ball beginning a move that fashioned a chance for Baird. 7

Hughes: Solid rather spectacular against his old club but this has been a week to remember for the understated defender after he marked Cristiano Ronaldo out of the game on his 100th cap as Northern Ireland claimed an outstanding point in Portugal. In his more favoured central defensive role, Hughes nullified the threat posed by Gabby Agbonlahor and Bent with his usual quiet efficiency. 7

Baird: Excellent again in central midfield – doing a lot of the hod-carrying to ensure that the likes of Delph, El Ahmadi, Ireland and Holman were unable to get their passing patterns going as Villa would have liked. Baird has threatened to score with his head from set plays in recent weeks and his late near post dart took him past Lichaj, Delph and Bennett to clip home Riise's flag-kick on his 150th appearance for Fulham. 7

Sidwell: The preview pieces this week touched on how Steve Sidwell feared last season's injury nightmare might mean he had to hang up his boots. He's returned to the side this season with a desire to make up for lost time but he will be a little disappointed not to have made more of an impression against his old club. Sent a free header over from Rodallega's first half free-kick and threatened to clear the Hammersmith End with one speculative strike from the edge of the box after the break, but gave the ball away carelessly and mistimed a few tackles. 6

Richardson: Got the opportunity to start largely on the back of how he changed the game at St. Mary's a fortnight ago as a second half substitute. Might have grabbed a second goal in as many gaps were it not for Guzan's great early reactions and always showed for possession, drifting infield more than a conventional winger. Faded as the second half went on – but Richardson's an excellent technician who will prove a real asset this season. 6

Rodallega: Covered an awful lot of ground and looked far more effective when switched to a more central role once Petric was replaced after an hour. His pace poses a problem for defenders in behind and he'll feel he should have tested Guzan with a first half header similar to one with which he scored at Wigan. Often found himself in dangerous areas – but was well marshalled by the Villa defence. 6

Berbatov: Played in the 'number ten' position again and was Fulham's creative hub. Deep in conversation with Sidwell before the start of the game, it was Berbatov who was prompting and cajoling his team-mates. Might have had a couple of goals on another afternoon – after seeing an early sighter pushed away by Guzan and failing to properly connect with an acrobatic volley in the second half – but his ability to retain possession in tight situations and create space for others make him both indiviudally outstanding and a huge asset to this side. 7

Petric: Some of the Croatian's link-up play with Berbatov was sublime, even if the duo were perhaps guilty of overplaying things on the edge of the Villa box at times. Petric clearly still isn't 100% fit and isn't the ideal lone striker, but he showcased his sublime touch and did very well in the air against two taller centre backs. A few more fitness sessions and some match sharpness should see him return to the form that saw him enjoy such an excellent start to life in England. 6

SUBSTITUTES

Diarra: Such a welcome return for the Malian, who added both physicality and a dynamism that was previously lacking in central midfield. Looked untroubled by his time on the sidelines and immediately picked up the pace of the game, retaining possession with ridiculous ease, and shielding the back four brilliantly. On this display, he must be in line to start at Reading next weekend. Loved the way he vaulted onto Karagounis' shoulders to celebrate Baird's winner. 7

Dejagah: The Iranian winger had been waiting a long time for his Fulham debut and this was a really eye-catching cameo. He relished running at a tiring defence and was really unfortunate not to open the scoring, seeing one shot blocked and another just about turned over the bar by Guzan. He's got pace, power and good crossing ability – which all bodes well. 8

Karagounis: Sent on for Sidwell for the final six minutes so didn't have enough time to reprise his excellent display as a second half substitute at Southampton. Might not have the legs to maintain his high-octane performances for a full ninety minutes, but he's a useful option from the bench. 6

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/10/fulham-1-0-aston-villa-player-ratings/?