more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (23/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 23, 2012, 04:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham reject Blackburn approach for Billy McKinlay

Fulham have rejected Blackburn's request to speak with first-team coach Billy McKinlay about replacing Steve Kean as manager at Ewood Park.

Rovers have turned to their former midfielder, 43, after failing to land Tottenham's Tim Sherwood.

Ex-Scotland international McKinlay, who is among the most highly regarded young coaches in the game, is thought to be open to discussions about the role.

But he will only be given permission to enter talks if compensation is agreed.

Blackburn were also keen on former Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but he would not have been able to take charge for another month because of his commitments with Norwegian side Molde.

Their approach to speak to Sherwood, who is currently technical co-ordinator at Tottenham and captained Blackburn to the Premier League title in 1995, was rejected by Spurs last week.

McKinlay spent five years as a player at Ewood Park, playing 104 times for the club.

He is also the current Northern Ireland assistant manager.

Eric Black has been in caretaker charge of Rovers since Kean resigned on 28 September.

Blackburn have not won since Kean's departure and they are 10th in the Championship after a 1-1 draw at Derby on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20031652?

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham and West Ham striker blasts Man Utd, QPR and Everton stars

Former Fulham and West Ham striker Leroy Rosenior has blasted the players who protested by refusing to wear the Show Racism the Red Card t-shirts.

Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand made the protest with Everton's Sylvain Distin, Reading's Jason Roberts and QPR's Anton Ferdinand among others.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "I found it a little silly from the players.

"Players need to give up their time and energy to move this thing forward."

Rosenior, who managed Brentford and Torquay – the latter famously for 10 minutes, could understand where the protesters were coming from.

"I understand where Rio and Anton are coming from after what their families have been through but I thought it wasn't constructive in terms of moving the debate forward," he added.

"We need the players to do more. It hasn't been top of the FA agenda for a long, long time - they have got better but they are not doing enough - but we need the players to be unified and to work with organisations to do better.

"To say we're protesting because Kick It Out don't do enough - the answer is that they can't. They haven't got the authority, they haven't got the manpower, and they certainly haven't got the funds, so they need players like Jason Roberts to get behind it."

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has told a press conference that he has resolved his dispute with Rio Ferdinand over the defender's failure to wear a T-shirt supporting the Kick It Out anti-racism campaign group on Saturday.

http://www.london24.com/sport/qpr/ex_fulham_and_west_ham_striker_blasts_man_utd_qpr_and_everton_stars_1_1664747

WhiteJC

Members Ticket Update

Tickets for our December fixtures go on sale to Members from 9am on Tuesday 23rd October.

With our next home match against Everton already sold out, don't delay in buying your tickets for these matches:

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur - Saturday 1st December (3pm)
Martin Jol's former side visit the Cottage, along with some familiar faces, this December. Tickets are available to Members from 9am on Tuesday 23rd October. Find out more at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

Fulham v Newcastle United - Monday 10th December (8pm)
The Whites host Alan Pardew's Newcastle under the floodlights this winter, with tickets available to Members from 9am on Tuesday 23rd October and on General Sale from Tuesday 30th October. Prices start from £35 for adults and £15 for juniors. Find out more here.

Fulham v Southampton - Wednesday 26th December (3pm)
Tickets for our Boxing Day fixture against Southampton are available from £30 for adults and £10 for juniors. Members can buy from 9am on Tuesday 23rd October and tickets will go on General Sale from 9am on Tuesday 30th October. Find out more at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

Fulham v Swansea City - Saturday 29th December (3pm), Members save £5
Our Fulham Members are entitled to £5 off either one or two adult tickets for this match. This offer is valid in all areas of the ground (up to two per member). This special offer is subject to availability and will expire 10 days before the fixture. Read more at fulhamfc.com/tickets. Click here for more information about becoming a Fulham Member.

Next available home match: Fulham v Sunderland - Sunday 18th November (4pm)
Our Fulham Members can also save £5 on either one or two tickets when Sunderland visit the Cottage. Tickets for this match are now limited, be sure to buy today before it's too late. Find out more and buy online today.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/22/members-ticket-update?

WhiteJC

Get Ready for Reading!

Get ready for the Whites' upcoming fixture against Reading FC at Madejski Stadium! With the boys set to play in the Third Kit, order yours by midnight tonight and we'll guarantee delivery ahead of the match.

After two outings, the team remain unbeaten in the new Third Kit. There's even still time before the game to personalise your Third Shirt with your Fulham hero's name and squad number.

Order your own 2012/13 Third Kit online today!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/22/reading-third-kit?

WhiteJC

A New Role

An unlikely hero emerged in the last few minutes to secure victory against Aston Villa, on Saturday.

Chris Baird stepped up and got on the score-sheet for only the 3rd time in his long Fulham career.

But, we should add much of that career has been as a defender but now Baird is operating in the middle of the park, something Martin Jol commented on in his post match interview, remarking,

"This is a new role for Chris. I explained to the team that after the departure of Danny Murphy, Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey, we needed a new identity in midfield and that he could help."

"He certainly did that. He is a good football player and had a good education at Southampton."

"I am pleased that a rigid defender can become a very creative midfield player as well."

"He is getting more and more important for us."

He certainly is and as for that crucial winner, Chris himself added afterwards,

"I think I`m well overdue one."

"I`ve had a few chances in the previous games and I felt it was time to get on the score-sheet."

"A lot of my game is my passing. It`s better for me to get onto the ball and give it to the flair players. You just don`t know what they are going to come up with."

"The strike force we`ve got is unbelievable."

And so was your goal on Saturday Chris, an unbelievable relief!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297215#ixzz2A5diz4ev

WhiteJC

Jol: Baird giving Fulham new identity in midfield
The Dutchman praises the Southampton graduate's adaptability in converting from defence to a more advanced role as he searches for replacements for departed players

Fulham manager Martin Jol is delighted with Chris Baird's adaptation from defence to midfield and sees potential longevity in his successful transition.

The Northern Irishman has spent the majority of his playing career in the back line, having featured at both right-back and centre-back but at times struggled to hold down a first-team place at Craven Cottage under previous managers Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes - and even under Jol himself.

Due to the summer sales of midfield stalwarts Danny Murphy, Mousa Dembele and Dickson Etuhu, however, and the injury to Mahamadou Diarra, the 30 year-old has taken the opportunity and blossomed in his new position.

"This is a new role for Chris," Jol told reporters. "I explained to him that we needed a new identity in midfield and that he could help. He certainly did that.

"He is a good football player and had a good education at Southampton. Last year he played right-back and centre-back and I'm very pleased that he's so versatile and that he could do that job for us.

"He's important to us. He's getting fitter and fitter. He is playing for the national team in midfield now too which is good and they got a good result against Portugal.

"He is probably on top of his game and that was exactly what we needed."

The former Tottenham manager also expressed his side's desire to play the beautiful game and how Baird has adopted this football philosophy in his new-found role within his passing style.

He added: "My midfield must be good because I need to get the ball to my quality players. Sometimes you see that it was probably a bit better last year, no mention of names, but that is a matter of practising, exercising, but we have to play the ball forward.

"We have to be confident to link up. That is what we want and as soon as we don't do that we start to drop our style and drop our quality.

"I'm happy that Chris understands that and he wants to play."

"My midfield must be good because I need to get the ball to my quality players. We have to be confident"
- Martin Jol

The former Ajax boss also hailed the influence of Baird's early development at St Mary's Stadium, insisting: "It's about education. When I came [to Fulham], they said he was a defensive full-back and then, six months later, someone told me he was a midfield player. Then they said he was probably a typical centre-back and then you get this split identity.

"I feel that Chris wants to play. Southampton helped him because over the last two decades they've had a very good education. I'm very pleased that a rigid defender can be a very creative midfield player as well.

"He played in midfield for Hodgson as well, once or twice. That gave me a little bit of hope that he could do that for me as well. He did that."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/22/3469523/-?

WhiteJC

U21s Palace Defeat

Fulham's Under-21s slipped to a disappointing 1-0 defeat against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Monday evening.

With both teams starting brightly, either could well have been in front inside 10 minutes with Matthew Briggs moving Ross Fitzsimons into a decent low save early on, while moments later Jason Banton fired the hosts' first real chance narrowly wide.

Ibra Sekajja then struck the crossbar for the Eagles with a stinging strike from the edge of the box, before James Musa headed wide when well placed at the other end.

It was an opportunity Kit Symons' side were left to rue, when on 23 minutes, Banton teed up Appiah who finished coolly past David Stockdale.

Palace should have doubled their lead on 35 minutes after Bayan Fenwick was felled in the box. Sekajja stepped up, but fortunately Stockdale read the strike well in making a brilliant one-handed save. 

Kerim Frei went close to an equaliser in the second-half, but again Fitzsimons proved a worthy match making a fine stop to deny the midfielder.

Frei tested the Palace defence again following a lovely 50 yard run from deep, but dragged his effort wide with the goal in sight. Pajtim Kasami also saw a good chance come and go, firing straight at the Palace stopper.

Stockdale made two fine saves at the opposite end to deny the impressive Banton as Palace responded with renewed vigour.  Despite creating a number of chances Fulham's breakthrough strike proved elusive, and as a result, Palace held on for the win.

"It was a disappointing night, this was a very poor display," said Symons to fulhamfc.com. "We are much better than that, and despite being a relatively experienced side we just didn't perform.

"Had it not been for Stockdale we could have lost by a few more. We were better in the second-half, and perhaps on another night we could have taken something – but that probably would have been unfair on Palace because I thought they played well.

"The boys were very frustrated as you would expect, but we have to go away now and work on putting things right. They know it wasn't good enough and they have to make up for that in the next game – which sees us travel to Wolverhampton Wanderers next Monday."

Fulham U21: Stockdale; Brister, Grimmer, Musa, Briggs; Tavares, Smith (Christensen 75), Frei; Kasami (Williams 65), Banya, Trotta (Islamovic 75). Subs not used: Joronen, Kavanagh.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/22/u21s-palace-defeat?

WhiteJC

Federici in contention for Fulham after Reading FC clean sheet

Adam Federici put himself in contention for Reading's squad to face Fulham on Saturday with a clean sheet for the under-21s.

The fit-again goalkeeper looked confident and mobile in the 3-0 home win against Norwich City on Monday night.

Winger Jordan Obita dedicated his 26th-minute opener to his late grandfather, scoring in what has been a tough week personally for the exciting young talent.

Obita then set up Dominic Samuel for his first of two soon after the break, with the England Under-19 striker side-footing a sweet shot past Declan Rudd in the Canaries' goal in the 53rd minute.

Samuel then put the game to bed with an instinctive strike from the edge of the box to seal the victory with 15 minutes to go.

Other standout performances came from centre-backs Sean Morrison and Alex Pearce – with full-back Ian Harte's left foot causing Norwich's defence endless worries.

In midfield Aaron Tshibola looks a decent player in the making, not afraid to get stuck in and run at the opposition with the ball at his feet.

Reading Under-21s: Federici, Arnold, Pearce, Morrison, Harte, Taylor, D'Ath, Tshibola, Obita (Losasso, 78), Samuel, Church. Subs not used: Henly, Webb, MacDonald, Keown.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2122721_federici_in_contention_for_fulham_after_reading_fc_clean_sheet?

WhiteJC

Fulham keeping tabs on Sweden U21 captain Ishak as Jol continues revamp

Martin Jol and Fulham are watching FC Cologne youngster Mikael Ishak.

The 19-year-old is captain of Sweden Under 21s.

Fulham's Dutch boss has overseen a big change at the club, with key players like Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele departing and relatively unknown players joining, for instance Mladen Petric.

Tracking: Mikael Ishak is being watched by Fulham and Martin Jol (pictured)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2221606/Fulham-watching-Mikael-Ishak-FC-Cologne.html#ixzz2A5fanvbx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham boss eyes wing battle after new boy's bow against Aston Villa

Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah on his debut against Aston Villa.
Photo credit: Adam Davy/EMPICS

Fulham boss eyes wing battle after new boy's bow against Aston Villa

Martin Jol admitted that his gamble to throw Ashkan Dejagah on for his debut paid off against Aston Villa and he now believes the winger can provide stiff competition for Damien Duff.

The Iranian international, who signed from German outfit Wolfsburg in the summer for £2million, finally made his Fulham debut as an impact substitute in the 1-0 victory over Aston Villa on Saturday.

The 26-year-old had arrived at Craven Cottage with a torn calf muscle but his first 20 minutes in the Premier League marked him out as an exciting prospect.

Jol admitted he took a risk on the wide man, by throwing him on against Villa, ahead of Alex Kacaniklic.

It worked as the new boy provided fresh impetus in a clash that was heading for a stalemate.

It was his shot, palmed over by keeper Brad Guzan, which led to the corner from which Chris Baird marked his 200th league appearance with the winner in the 84th minute.

Asked about Dejagah's impressive cameo, the Whites manager said: "I had Kacaniklic [on the bench] and I know what I can expect [from him] so it was almost a gamble. I thought, 'I have to do something'.

"Sometimes, after seven or eight games as a manager you get a bit of luck and it comes off.

"Kaca probably thought he would come on and then the new player is preferred ahead of him, but that was the gut feeling I had.

"He's explosive and he should give Damien Duff competition for that place."

Jol also revealed that striker Bryan Ruiz would have played against Aston Villa, but he slipped and hurt his groin, and the manager is now unsure whether the Costa Rican will be available for the trip to Reading on Saturday.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_eyes_wing_battle_after_new_boy_s_bow_against_aston_villa_1_1664449

WhiteJC

Chris Baird: Like a Phoenix From the Ashes

Baird pops out of his usually quiet role to slide home the winner at the Cottage against Villa this past weekend.

The Bairdinho was nowhere to be found.  It was the beginning of the 2012/2013 season, and Martin Jol had made some decisions.  Certain players benefitted, certain players didn't.  Baird certainly fell into the "didn't" category.  Left out of match after match, he was losing his place at the back, supplanted by in-form fullback John Arne Riise, young star Matthew Briggs, and new addition Sascha Riether.  Barely making the bench as an unused substitute 2 of Fulham's first 3 matches of the season and coming on in the 82nd minute in the third, Baird was fringe at best.

But timing has a funny way of sorting these things out.

Just as the transfer window hit, an opening presented itself.  Panic had gripped the Fulham faithful.  The midfield was a disaster, ripped from our grasps by injury woes and hungry Premier League rivals. Dembele was gone. Dempsey was gone. Murphy was long gone. Etuhu was as well.  Diarra was injured. And the midfield consisted Steve Sidwell and........well.........Steve Sidwell.

And if that wasn't enough, the midfield was more important than ever, with signing Dimitar Berbatov the new face of the franchise, and a superstar doesn't operate too well if you can't get him the ball.

So Jol turned to an unlikely option most fans hadn't even considered (guilty).  A versatile defender who was once known for his midfield abilities but hadn't showcased them consistently in years. One who was waiting patiently for his opportunity.

The manager on his versatile abilities:

"When I came (to Fulham), they said he was a defensive full back and then six months later someone told me he was a midfield player. Then they said he was probably a typical centre back and then you get this split identity,"

And boy has Chris Baird delivered.

First and foremost, he scored the winner against Aston Villa last week in a brilliant set piece move executed to perfection.  But that's just the tip of the iceberg for Baird.

Let's take a closer look at the most important aspect of a midfielder: passing.  Baird made his 2012 starting lineup debut against West Brom at home on September 15.  All he did was complete 82 of 88 passes (93%), including 30/33 in the attacking third, was perfect square or backwards, and won 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, and went 2/2 in the air. Don't think you can ask for much more than that.

But Baird wasn't done.  He slipped a bit the next two weeks.  On the road in the win at Wigan he completed just 34 of 44 passes, and home to Manchester City Baird didn't have many touches altogether.  However, in the 2-2 draw with Southampton, Baird was again on top form.  He hit 83% of his passes (62/75).  Again, the bad mistakes were at a minimum, hitting all his back passes and missing just one square.  He was just 4/10 from long range, but then again that's not exactly his game.  A link man isn't expected to slice the defense open with cracking long balls.  All Fulham need Baird to do is be solid in the linkup between the defense and Ruiz/Berbatov/Petric, and play adequately while the opponent has the ball.

Martin explains what the club is expecting from that position:

"My midfield must be good because I need to get the ball to my quality players. Sometimes you see that it was probably a bit better last year, no mention of names, but that is a matter of practising, exercising, but we have to play the ball forward. We have to be confident to link up. That is what we want and as soon as we don't do that we start to drop our style and drop our quality. I'm happy that Chris understands that and he wants to play."

And he's done just that. If there's one word to describe how Fulham need Chris Baird to be going forward, it's this: Solid.  Keep up the good work, Bairdhino, and you'll continue to get good work.  Even with Diarra back, it's hard right now for Jol to take out Chris Baird, and it will be interesting to see what happens come January if this keeps up.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/10/23/chris-baird-like-a-phoenix-from-the-ashes/?

WhiteJC

Etheridge Extends Loan

The Club can confirm that Neil Etheridge's loan spell at Bristol Rovers has been extended until 20th December 2012.

Etheridge's time at the Memorial Stadium has coincided with an upturn in form for the Pirates. After securing a clean sheet on his debut against Fleetwood Town, Neil has since helped his loan side to victories over Exeter City, Northampton Town and Torquay United.

Rovers also won an admirable away point at Burton Albion with Neil between the posts, which gives him the impressive record at the club of three victories, two draws, and just the one defeat.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/23/etheridge-extends-loan?

WhiteJC

Fulham sweat on Ruiz ahead of Reading trip

Bryan Ruiz

CROCKED Bryan Ruiz will be assessed in training this week ahead of Saturday's trip to Reading.

The Fulham forward suffered a groin injury on international duty with Costa Rica, which ruled him out of the victory against Aston Villa at the weekend.

Boss Martin Jol revealed Ruiz was set to play, only for the problem to flare up again ahead of the game.

And Ruiz now faces a race against time to be ready for the visit to the Madjeski.

"He was close," said Jol. "He was in the line-up and then he did something and slipped and felt his groin again so couldn't be involved.

"I don't know [whether he will be fit for this weekend]. I hope so.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/23/82029-32086642/?#ixzz2A8DgvsE0

WhiteJC

Billy McKinlay targeted for Rovers top job

SHEBBY Singh is understood to be ready to persist in his attempts to appoint Billy McKinlay as Blackburn Rovers' new boss this week – despite being refused permission to speak to the Scot yesterday.

Rovers' global advisor has identified former Rovers midfielder McKinlay, currently first-team coach at Fulham, as the man he wants to replace Steve Kean after attempts to lure Tim Sherwood and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer proved unsuccessful.

But Fulham knocked back Rovers' first request to speak to the 43-year-old yesterday and McKinlay's potential appointment has already attracted opposition from fans, who are wary of owners Venky's again appointing a boss with no previous managerial experience.

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.
I agree
The Lancashire Telegraph understands that Venky's are yet to give the go-ahead for the appointment, should permission eventually be granted by the London club, with some members of the board believed to have been surprised by the news of the approach for the Scot.

They are attempting to persuade the owners to instead move for a more experienced boss – instead wanting a move for Blackpool's Ian Holloway.

Singh, however, rates McKinlay, highly after receiving recommendations that the former Scotland international, who also works as assistant manager to Michael O'Neill with the Northern Ireland national team, is one of the most promising coaches in the game.

Despite co-owner Balaji Rao yesterday telling the Indian media that a managerial appointment could yet take another two weeks, Singh is hopeful that a deal with Fulham can be completed swiftly – possibly even ahead of tomorrow's home game against Sheffield Wednesday.

McKinlay made 104 appearances for Rovers between 1995 and 2000, later moving into coaching with Fulham midway through the 2004/05 campaign.

He worked alongside Kean and first-team boss Chris Coleman at Craven Cottage, remaining at the club following their departure.

He has since stepped up from development squad manager to become first-team coach under Martin Jol – also combining his club duties with a move into the Northern Ireland international set-up earlier this year following the appointment of O'Neill, his former Dundee United team-mate.

McKinlay was linked with a move to become Kean's new assistant at Rovers following the exits of both John Jensen and Paul Clement, and his coaching skills are said to have impressed Northern Ireland legend Gerry Armstrong, who has been among those offering advice to Singh in recent times. His international role, however, would have to be discussed should he be offered the Rovers job.

Singh is understood to have always favoured the appointment of an up and coming manager but the approach for McKinlay has raised concerns from the Ewood Park faithful who are worried that Rovers could be repeating the mistake they made when they put the inexperienced Kean in charge two years ago.

The Blackburn Rovers Action Group, who were fiercely opposed to Kean's reign as boss, released a statement yesterday afternoon urging the club to appoint an experienced manager.

"We have had thousands of supporters contact us in the last few days demanding that the BRFC Action Group takes immediate action to prevent Blackburn Rovers appointing a manager unwanted by the supporter base," the statement said.

"They have expressed their deepest concerns that our club are taking no notice of the general consensus across the supporter base.

"Talk of Billy McKinlay and Tim Sherwood, who are both coaches with no managerial experience, has sent the supporter base into meltdown.

"The decision of appointing Blackburn Rovers' new manager is the most important decision that will ever be made at the club.

"It will define the club's future and will be the difference between supporters returning to Ewood, or turning their backs until suitable new owners are found.

"We beg the owners and the appointing committee of the new manager to listen to the supporter base and appoint an experienced and capable manager so our club can get promoted at the first attempt."

Rovers legend Simon Garner said: "I speak to people and I know Billy is very highly regarded as a coach.

"Whether a good coach becomes a good manager, it doesn't always happen.

"I can understand that fans are concerned because he's not experienced and people will talk about it being like Steve Kean.

"But the club have obviously thought about it and he must be doing something right to be so highly regarded.

"I think we just need to wait and see what happens."

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/10001099._/?

WhiteJC

Hungry For Goals

Ever wondered how it feels to score in front of a capacity-full stadium, a goal that lifts the fans off from their seats in collective euphoria? New Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega describes that feeling as 'hermoso' or to put it into its English context – as 'beautiful'.

Rodallega joined Fulham in July and following the departures of Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé, like his teammate and fellow Fultime interviewee Bryan Ruiz, much is expected of him over the coming campaign.

An explosive talent, who is powerful in the air and can shoot with either foot. From close range or distance, Rodallega is a genuine goal threat. He plays with a somewhat childlike exuberance too; you get the sense that he plays the game now as he did when he was a kid.

It's a trait of his game that is somewhat misleading, however, for underneath the playfulness is a player that holds a deep resolve – and one that likes nothing more than punishing his opponents by hitting the back of the net. It's an inner resourcefulness that has enabled him to handle the inherent pressures that come with being a top-flight striker.

"It's my job to score goals, it's what I am here to do," claims Hugo. "It's also one of the things that I live for – it's a beautiful feeling and one like no other on the football pitch.

"To see the fans celebrating after you have scored is like a revolution – and one that I have caused. It's something that makes me very happy.

"At this level, scoring goals is a difficult thing to do. People expect strikers to score, it's simple, and they are right. Of course, with that comes pressure, but that's something that I have learned to live with.

"If anything that pressure inspires me, because if they expect good things, then it means I am a valuable player – one that can help make a difference in front of goal. You have to find ways of managing that pressure, and use it to your advantage."

Rodallega has settled well in his new surroundings and as Martin Jol continues to mould his attacking, front-foot team, it looks like he will play a key role having put in man-of-the-match performances against West Ham United and Wigan Athletic already.

If you believe the rumours, he was close to joining Fulham last season too, as part of a deal that would take Andrew Johnson to Rodallega's former club. While last summer, he was heavily linked to Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool and Everton before arriving at Craven Cottage.

"Joining Fulham is the biggest challenge of my career," he says. "There were opportunities elsewhere, but I was excited by the prospect of playing for this club. For me, I really believe that we could challenge for a place in Europe again, and I want to help take the Team to even greater things.

"There is a lot of quality in the squad, and if you look at the players that I am competing with for a place in the starting XI – Dimitar Berbatov, Mladen Petrić and Bryan Ruiz – that is quite clear.

"Competition is good, though, I believe it can only improve you as a player. It keeps you on your toes and striving to be the best that you can be. I know the fans were disappointed to see Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé leave, because they were heroes here, but I want to make a similar impact and help them forget about that loss."

Rodallega has also impressed in the yellow of his country and has almost 50 caps to date – alongside Radamel Falcao of Atletico Madrid and FC Porto pair Jackson Martinez and James Rodriguez, the 27-year-old shares much of the attacking burden as Colombia edge closer to qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in Rio.

While he has made his name in front of goal, in a 1-0 Copa America defeat of the United States in 2007 he required a different set of skills. When goalkeeper Robinson Zapata was dismissed, with all substitutes already used, Rodallega found himself as a stand-in stopper.

"As a kid I always liked to play in goal and I had messed about in training at times, so I put myself forward," he reflects. "We won as well, and I made two or three good saves too. There's not many people that can say that they have played up front and in goal for their country. It was a surreal experience.

"I've always loved playing for my country, it is a special occasion for a player. As a nation we haven't qualified for a World Cup since 1998, so of course, we want to be part of the tournament in two years' time in Brazil.

"The last World Cup to be held in South America was in Argentina in 1978, so there's a lot of excitement building as another draws closer. We're in a good position in terms of the qualifying process, so hopefully we can be part of it. We have some very talented players so hopefully this can be our moment."

Hugo Rodallega is the fifth Colombian to play in England's top flight and, in scoring his first goal for his new club in September, he became the ninth South American to notch 25 Premier League goals.

It was a strike that ended a run of seven hours and 43 minutes without a goal, but despite his penchant for a colourful celebration, it was one that drew a muted response - for his first for Fulham came at the expense of his former club Wigan.

"It was a sign of respect and I think their fans appreciated that," clarifies Hugo. "I hope the Fulham supporters understood though, because even though I didn't celebrate as I normally would it was still a special moment for me.

"I'm a professional and scoring goals is what I do best and I promise that I will celebrate fully next time. Hopefully there will be many opportunities to do so over the coming years."

To read the full Hugo Rodallega interview be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 39 of Fultime magazine which is in store now. The winter edition is also available to read digitally.

The iPad and iPhone App is available here, while the Android App is available here. The traditional hard copy of Fultime can also be ordered from Club shops or online, priced £3.50.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/23/hungry-for-goals?