https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spelling/grammar lesson

Started by Scrumpy, October 28, 2012, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e4b

my pet hate is " do "as in I don't do this or i don't do that

Sheepskin Junior

Some of the crap I hear coming out of the mouths of people at school is atrocious. The one that really gets on my nerves is "schedule". It is pronounced "shed-yule" but everyone, partly because of the Disney channel and Americanisation in this country  075.gif , pronounces it "skedule" this is annoying. As I keep saying to them "there is English and then there are mistakes"

Another one is the use of the word "bare" meaning "very" or "a lot". I give you an example from school. There had been an accident on the main road leading up to my school, one person walked in late and said to my teacher "there was bare traffic". I then wondered if he meant "bear traffic" which I believe is much like normal traffic but furrier. Apparently I was wrong. Innit
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Logicalman

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on October 29, 2012, 09:59:16 AM
Some of the crap I hear coming out of the mouths of people at school is atrocious. The one that really gets on my nerves is "schedule". It is pronounced "shed-yule" but everyone, partly because of the Disney channel and Americanisation in this country  075.gif , pronounces it "skedule" this is annoying. As I keep saying to them "there is English and then there are mistakes"

I tend to agree with you, unfortunately the dictionaries, including the Oxford one, disagrees with us:

schedule Pronunciation: /ˈʃɛdjuːl, ˈskɛd-/

My other half also mentioned Schism, School/Scholar, and they were off the top of her head!  I get the feeling you and I might be in a minority on this one, mate.

King_Crud

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on October 29, 2012, 09:59:16 AM

I grew up saying "sked-yule" in oz

Senior Supporter

A couple that always grate (not great) with me are "tow the line" when it should be "toe the line", and "reign in" instead of "rein in" meaning hold back.

Peabody

Blimey, as someone who has been, shall I say criticised? for my poor spelling by a couple on here, I have learnt a lot this morning. Thank you.

LBNo11

Eye have a spell in chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Missed aches eye can knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it too say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore yew will bee pleased two no
Its letter perfect in evry whey, 
My chequer tolled me sew.

That is all...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Boggers

They're/There/Their

Your/You're

Loose/Lose

Choose/Chose
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

Peabody

Stone the flippin crowes, I never realised you lot were so well educated. Me, just a Secondry Modern Boy.

Keefy

Another one...why do most if not all Sky football "people" speak in the present tense when describing a passage of play that happened several minutes before.

MJG

Its Lee Clark not Lee Clarke
Its Sean Davis not Sean Davies

The King

Quote from: MJG on October 29, 2012, 11:59:57 AM
Its Lee Clark not Lee Clarke
Its Sean Davis not Sean Davies

Schwarzer, Niemi, Dalla Valle, Della Verde, Paintsil, Moussa...

mangoputney

Sick...

How can anything good / amazing / enjoyable be

Sick

Sick, having a disease, illness or vomiting

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

filham

Quote from: Peabody on October 29, 2012, 11:40:19 AM
Stone the flippin crowes, I never realised you lot were so well educated. Me, just a Secondry Modern Boy.

I am right alongside you Peabody as I never had the benefit of a grammar school education and I am likely to make spelling and grammar mistakes. Lets not be inhibited by all of this as we have possibly as much of interest to say as those with clever and accurate way of saying it.

Also they should remember that language is continually changing, in many cases what was not acceptable ten years ago is the norm today. Remember at the time of writing a lot of Shakespear's language was considered unexceptable by the educated classes.

King_Crud

Quote from: Peabody on October 29, 2012, 11:40:19 AM

my mother was a teacher and all of this was drilled into me from a young age

LBNo11

...well I never realised/realized what an elitist section of membership we had on here. Yes some mistakes can grate, but that is down to personal hang-ups and I look at it that if I understand the post/comment I have no need to mark the content out of 10.

As long as an overuse of txtspk or slang doesn't/does not pervade into this forum I will be happy. Like Peabody and filham I was drug up at a secondary modern school, I like to read and so have learned/learnt how things should be spelt/spelled, my grammar ain't/isn't/is not good either - I am somebody that thought like Ronald Searle that a gerund was a woodland creature, so forgive my failings and let's stick to writing about Fulham. If the content is not/isn't understood move onto the next post...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

Really pleased you brought this up. The misuse of the simplest of words is really annoying. Living in America for a long time I have to admit to using skedule but why is school not pronounced shool in UK.?

I refuse to write American spellings however, check for cheque, tire for tyre for example. I just can't do it, such elementary spelling.
I used to write some advertisement copy when I worked in London. Published in computer papers and Sunday Times. It was not easy to get the grammar exactly correct and not use the same adjective twice in the space of three short paragraphs. I grew to like the challenge and learnt a lot about English.

Have I made any mistakes? Did I make any mistakes?  (on this post, in this post).... :49:

Scrumpy

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 29, 2012, 01:01:27 PM
...well I never realised/realized what an elitist section of membership we had on here. Yes some mistakes can grate, but that is down to personal hang-ups and I look at it that if I understand the post/comment I have no need to mark the content out of 10.

As long as an overuse of txtspk or slang doesn't/does not pervade into this forum I will be happy. Like Peabody and filham I was drug up at a secondary modern school, I like to read and so have learned/learnt how things should be spelt/spelled, my grammar ain't/isn't/is not good either - I am somebody that thought like Ronald Searle that a gerund was a woodland creature, so forgive my failings and let's stick to writing about Fulham. If the content is not/isn't understood move onto the next post...

LB - I definitely won't be pulling anyone up for mistakes. I was careful to write in general terms, without naming any specific poster. Others have also done the same. We're all aware as well that many of the posters on here have English as their second language, rather than their first, so do very, very well.

Just a quick impromptu English lesson. I have learnt something myself, as pointed out by the ever-tactful Holders.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

King_Crud

when did learnt/spelt/burnt become learned/spelled/burned????? It must have been in the last 10 years