watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spelling/grammar lesson

Started by Scrumpy, October 28, 2012, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Don't worry, Scrumpy, you hear it wrongly a lot including more and more on the BBC but it does help to distinguish by putting that element of "doubt" into the tense (subjunctive, I believe but I'm prepared to be corrected!).

"If Berba was (had been is better) at the races I'd have seen him" versus "if Berba were to have broken his rib he'd have been out for a few weeks"...

Other pet hates: the media of TV, this criteria, program, instore, that new statue at Ilfracombe. And (don't start a sentence with a conjunction, Holders) most of all, the abominable SNUCK. Oh, and bided for bade. The BBC does that as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Chesh

Quote from: The King on October 29, 2012, 06:41:06 AM
Are players should of stopped scratching they're balls when they where supposed to defend set peaces. That's is all.
:clap_hands:

And their's me thinking this a football massage bored - not a skool clarse room.

wELL SeD King

:hook:
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

HatterDon

Are players should of stopped scratching they're balls when they where supposed to defend set peaces. That's is all.
064.gif 065.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

Scrump, wear was you when Shakepseare done his play righting and invented the English language 
Next time you ask for a quote just remember that not all public school tuffs from the ruff part of Slough know that quotation's the noun, quote's the verb.
Nogood "loving the old scrumpster,  I jolly well do (is it what)" Boyo

kevin

and why, when we read out our telephone numbers does everyone use o instead of zero 0
we don't write it down with an o so why do we say it with an o
O IS A LETTER NOT A NUMBER

kevin

And while my gander is up why do people that live in london area say their phone number as
0208 and 0207   its not right .....the prefix is 020   the first number of the phone number is 7 or 8

Vinnieffc

Quote from: kevin on October 29, 2012, 04:19:56 PM
And while my gander is up why do people that live in london area say their phone number as
0208 and 0207   its not right .....the prefix is 020   the first number of the phone number is 7 or 8

Agreed. I'm a Telecoms engineer and that really gets my goat. Innit.

Logicalman

Quote from: kevin on October 29, 2012, 04:15:43 PM
and why, when we read out our telephone numbers does everyone use o instead of zero 0
we don't write it down with an o so why do we say it with an o
O IS A LETTER NOT A NUMBER

actually, I didn't know we did, or we did so, or we did not, this is getting all rather jumbled up for one so old and not versed in the colloquialisms of the well spoken English. (Pick the bones out of that little lot then!!)

Logicalman

Quote from: King_Crud on October 29, 2012, 01:32:11 PM
when did learnt/spelt/burnt become learned/spelled/burned????? It must have been in the last 10 years

I'm with you on that HRH

Count Berbatov

064.gif Made my day! Thank you!
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

HatterDon

Quote from: kevin on October 29, 2012, 04:19:56 PM
0208 and 0207   its not right .....the prefix is 020   the first number of the phone number is 7 or 8

or dander
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Travers Barney

Love your late night offerings Scrumpy.

Hope you had a great weekend...sorry events conspired against us.

coyw
We are the whites

Travers Barney

Oh and by the way 'absolutely' is the most oft used word in England today.

coyw
We are the whites

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

NogoodBoyo

Right.
Nogood "know what I mean, right, isit" Boyo

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

MOR :

Not so much the spoken word but the written word.
I give you "where" and "were"
Now when people get this wrong it does get on my nerves.

Costly spelling mistake...tosser

Holders

Obviously the tattooist was a Millwall fan.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Scrumpy

Quote from: Travers Barney on October 29, 2012, 08:02:08 PM
Love your late night offerings Scrumpy.

Hope you had a great weekend...sorry events conspired against us.

coyw

Absolutely mate, absolutely!

One of those things. There will be plenty more chances I am sure :beer:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

McBridefan1

My favourite/favorite, since I work in a high school, is when kids ask me if they can ax me a question... I usually respond; Firstly you just did, secondly only if you want me to use that ax on you... To which they respond, are you axen to ax me the same question I want to ax you?   :bang head:
090.gif

Nogood talkin the walk if you can't walk the talk isit boyo?