watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NBC Treble Money For US Prem Rights

Started by White Noise, October 29, 2012, 07:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nbc-secures-english-premier-league-soccer-rights#overlay-context=article/former-suspect-etan-patz-case-be-freed

NBC secures English Premier League soccer rights

By ROB HARRIS
— Oct. 28 8:06 PM EDT

LONDON (AP) — NBC's network will televise the English Premier League under a $250 million, three-year deal that begins next season.

The network will show every match from the world's most popular soccer league, taking coverage away from Fox and ESPN.

"The Barclays Premier League is the pre-eminent soccer league in the world, and is on the cusp of exponential popularity growth here in the U.S.," NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said Sunday.

NBC picked up Major League Soccer last year and had success with its soccer broadcasts during the London Olympics.

Criticized for using tape delay with the Olympics because of time differences, NBC will not do so with Premier League games, Lazarus said.

"We think we're acquiring a set of assets that has unique affluent male appeal that's very attractive to advertisers and attractive to cable operators," Lazarus said.

NBC's English-language networks will televise six live games a week. One or two of the company's other cable channels will be used along with NBC Sports Network, Lazarus said, but which ones have not been determined yet as schedules are evaluated. Other games will be streamed live online.

The network has been expanding its sports portfolio since cable company Comcast took over NBCUniversal in January 2011, a merger that paired cable sports channel Versus with NBC Sports. Versus was renamed NBC Sports Network at the start of this year.

Lazarus has highlighted how live sports events are the best way to grow the channel's audience, but not many properties are available in the short term, and he acknowledges that the incumbents generally have an advantage once negotiations for new contracts start.

NBC recently signed a deal for Formula One. But NBC Sports Network's biggest property is the NHL, whose season runs concurrently with English soccer. The EPL will be a good complement to the network's hockey coverage, Lazarus said, adding live soccer games in the morning and afternoon to prime-time NHL broadcasts.

"It's a younger skewing sport than some others out there, like some that are in a championship series right now," Lazarus said, in apparent reference to Major League baseball and its older viewership.

The previous three-year EPL deal with Fox, that saw some matches sublicensed to ESPN, was worth about $80 million.

The EPL has sold its TV rights in Britain to BSkyB and BT for 3.018 billion pounds ($4.86 billion) in a record three-year deal from the 2013-14 season.

The EPL said NBC will deliver the "biggest and broadest programming and promotion commitment ever in the United States" for the league.

"The NBC Sports Group has an excellent track record in sports broadcasting," EPL chief executive Richard Scudamore said.

Telemundo and mun2 will show Spanish-language coverage in the U.S.

White Noise

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224599/Premier-League-signs-year-deal-NBC.html

Premier League signs two-year deal with NBC to screen matches in America

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED:00:16, 29 October 2012| UPDATED:00:16, 29 October 2012

The Premier League will change broadcast partner in the United States from next season after announcing a two-year deal with the NBC Sports Group.

The financial details of the deal were not announced in a Premier League statement which confirmed that NBC would take over the rights to televise all matches from Fox.

'The Premier League is pleased to announce that NBCUniversal via the NBC Sports Group has been awarded the live audio visual broadcast rights for all 380 Barclays Premier League matches per season for seasons 2013/14 - 2015/16 in the USA,' the statement read.

'The deal brings the Premier League to one of the largest broadcasters in the world; the NBC Sports Group already televises such major sporting events as the NFL, NHL, the Summer and Winter Olympics, MLS, the US Open (golf) and the Ryder Cup.'

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore welcomed the deal while NBC chairman Mark Lazarus described the partnership as 'a perfect match'.

'The NBC Sports Group has an excellent track record in sports broadcasting and will showcase the Barclays Premier League to fans across the USA through its extensive network of channels and high quality production,' Scudamore said.

'We are extremely pleased that NBC has chosen to invest in the Premier League and look forward to working with them for many years to come.'

Lazarus added: 'The Barclays Premier League is the pre-eminent soccer league in the world, and is on the cusp of exponential popularity growth here in the US.

'NBCU will provide the broadest programming and promotional commitment that the league has ever experienced here in the United States. The Premier League provides NBCU with best-in-class content for 10 months of the year across our far-reaching broadcast, cable and digital platforms. This is a perfect match.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224599/Premier-League-signs-year-deal-NBC.html#ixzz2AfgE62qe

White Noise

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/sports/soccer/premier-league-deal-gives-nbc-380-soccer-games.html?smid=tw-nytimessports&seid=auto

Deal With Premier League Gives NBC 380 Games

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

Published: October 28, 2012

NBC Universal's three-year deal with England's Premier League, which starts in 2013, will let the company televise up to 380 games a season on the NBC broadcast network, the NBC Sports Network and at least two other cable networks.

NBC Universal, which was to announce the agreement Sunday night, will pay the league $80 million to $85 million annually.

About 200 games will be available on the NBC networks in six time periods on Saturday, Sunday and Monday during the league's 10-month season. The rest will be available online or in some other packages, one of them probably pay-per-view.

"There will be live, exclusive games, and we're not going to tape delay any of them," said Mark Lazarus, the chairman of the NBC Sports Group. "Multiple games go on at once, and we can't carry every one on our networks. But we won't regionalize games."

Despite inquiries, NBC has no plans to resell any of the games to another network, as Fox Soccer now does, sublicensing about a fifth of its games to ESPN.

NBC Universal defeated a joint bid from Fox Soccer and ESPN, and another from beIN, an aggressive new network started by Al Jazeera that recently won the United States rights to carry the top leagues from Spain, Italy and France, and the American national team's World Cup qualifying road games.

"We think this is a terrific property that we can do a lot with," Lazarus said, "and the leadership of the Premier League is interested in doing new things in the United States."

NBC recently dropped out of the bidding for the rights to carry Major League Baseball when, it said, the price that was being asked would have guaranteed substantial losses.

"Baseball is a good product, and we had an appetite for it at a certain level, but the price we're paying for the Premier League is a terrific value for us," Lazarus said.

The deal gives NBC all the United States television and digital rights. Lazarus said NBC changed its offer in the second round of the two-stage bidding process, in which the league sent out a tender soliciting a plan and a bid.

"This is a product we believe in," Lazarus said. "The Premier League has struck a chord in the States. We're already involved with Major League Soccer, we found great success with soccer at the Olympics, and our company made a large investment in the FIFA World Cup for Telemundo." Telemundo and mun2 — also NBC Universal networks — will carry Premier League games.

NBCSN will be the hub of the media giant's coverage of the league, and Lazarus says he expects that its viewership will exceed that of Fox Soccer, which peaked in 2009-10 at 149,000. This season, the average is 136,000.

White Noise

http://epltalk.com/2012/10/28/14-things-we-know-so-far-about-nbcs-us-coverage-plans-for-the-premier-league-2013-16/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

14 Things We Know So Far About NBC's US Coverage Plans for the Premier League 2013-16

Posted on October 28, 2012 by The Gaffer

After NBC Univeral's announcement tonight, we now know a lot more about their Premier League coverage plans for 2013-16.

Here's what we know so far:

1. NBC will make all Premier League matches available for viewing.

2. All of the Premier League games will be shown live. Games will not be shown on tape delay.

3. NBC's English-language networks will show 6 live Premier League games a week. One or two of NBC's cable will be used along with NBC Sports Network. Other games will be streamed live.

4. NBC Sports Network will be the main channel to watch most EPL games.

5. Approximately 18-20 Premier League matches per season will be shown live on free-to-air NBC, primarily on Saturdays.

6. Telemundo and mun2 will show Spanish-language coverage of the Premier League in the U.S.

7. Among the TV channels where Premier League matches may be viewable are NBC, NBC Sports Network, Telemundo and mun2; among other channels which could include CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Bravo.

8. Matches will also be live-streamed on the NBC Sports Live Extra platform across web, tablet and mobile devices.

9. Mid-week Premier League games will be available digitally or through some sort of arrangement with MVPDs (multichannel video programming distributors) on some sort of pay TV package.

10. NBC's coverage of the Premier League will begin with the 2013-14 season (in August, 2013) and will end with the 2015-16 season (in May, 2016).

11. NBC will include pre- and post-match shows, as well as highlight and weekly wrap-up programs

12. NBC may partner with BT on production. The two media companies have already had early talks regarding a deal.

13. It's a near guarantee that NBC Sports soccer commentator Arlo White will be a prominent role in the coverage of the Premier League.

14. NBC will be in an acquisition mode to hire talent for its coverage of the Premier League.

The only major questions marks I have thus far are: 1) How much will their premium package cost to ensure that Premier League fans in the United States can have access to all of the live games throughout the entire season, 2) How many of the games will be shown in HD, and 3) Will the matches feature NBC commentators, or will the audio feed from TWI/IMG be used instead (as FOX Soccer does except for rare circumstances where they use the Sky Sports audio feed)?

White Noise

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/nbc-sports-acquires-us-rights-premier-league-soccer-62496

NBC Sports Acquires U.S. Rights to Premier League Soccer

Published: October 28, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

By Todd Cunningham

NBCUniversal, via the NBC Sports Group, has acquired the exclusive U.S. media rights to the Premier League -- the world's top soccer league -- through a multi-year agreement that begins with the 2013-14 season, both parties announced Sunday.

Under the deal, NBCUniversal becomes the exclusive English- and Spanish-language media rights holder to all 380 Premier League matches across all platforms and devices in the United States.

The sale price and term of the pact was not disclosed. But the Premier League features many of the world's most well-known players and teams, and represents a coup for NBC which is cornering the market for TV soccer in the U.S.

Also read: ESPN Doubles Its Payout to Get New 8-Year Baseball Deal

"The Barclays Premier League is the preeminent soccer league in the world, and is on the cusp of exponential popularity growth here in the U.S.," said Mark Lazarus, chairman, NBC Sports Group. "NBCU will provide the broadest programming and promotional commitment that the league has ever experienced here in the United States. The Premier League provides NBCU with best-in-class content for 10 months of the year across our far-reaching broadcast, cable and digital platforms. This is a perfect match."

Each of the 20 Premier League teams plays 38 matches over a 41-week period from August to May. NBC, NBC Sports Network, and NBCSports.com will all be utilized to present live Premier League coverage, as well as Telemundo and mun2 for Spanish-language coverage. Additional NBCUniversal platforms and networks will occasionally be scheduled to air Premier League matches, while NBC Sports Live Extra will provide the live streaming platform across web, tablet and mobile devices.

"The NBC Sports Group has an excellent track record in sports broadcasting and will showcase the Barclays Premier League to fans across the USA through its extensive network of channels and high quality production," said Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Scudamore. "We are extremely pleased that NBC has chosen to invest in the Premier League and look forward to working with them for many years to come."

The NBC Sports Group's networks and platforms are already significant destinations for soccer fans in the U.S. Its soccer portfolio includes Major League Soccer (MLS), U.S. Men's and Women's National Team matches and the men's and women's Olympic soccer tournaments.

NBCUniversal's Telemundo and mun2 also provide comprehensive Spanish-language soccer coverage. Both channels will air Premier League matches, as well as serve as the U.S. Spanish-language home for the FIFA World Cup from 2015 through 2022.

The Premier League is the biggest continuous annual global sporting event in the world. Last season more than 13 million fans attended matches with average stadium occupancy in excess of 92% for the fourth season in a row. Across nine months of the year, its 380 matches are viewed in 212 territories worldwide.

King_Crud

Open wide for some soccerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

HatterDon

The "everything will be shown live" will actually result in fewer matches available over all. I'm also not nuts about the "pay per view" for weekday matches. I usually watch every Fulham match -- yes, some tape delayed -- and 2-4 other matches each weekend. It's going to be tough to do that.

Let's just hope that NBC doesn't hire the abysmal Ian Darke. Arlo did a great job on our international match.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mccscratch

Quote from: HatterDon on October 29, 2012, 02:09:42 PM
The "everything will be shown live" will actually result in fewer matches available over all. I'm also not nuts about the "pay per view" for weekday matches. I usually watch every Fulham match -- yes, some tape delayed -- and 2-4 other matches each weekend. It's going to be tough to do that.

Let's just hope that NBC doesn't hire the abysmal Ian Darke. Arlo did a great job on our international match.

I am with you about everything HD with exception to Darke, he is not that bad... not great but not unlistenable

I have a bad feeling that NBC is going to dumb down the games on NBC national over the air games... that is always my fear when a new soccer TV provider pops into the mix.

to be fair, NBC Sports Net have done a great job with MLS
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

RidgeRider

Quote from: mccscratch on October 29, 2012, 02:21:56 PM

I am with you about everything HD with exception to Darke, he is not that bad... not great but not unlistenable

I have a bad feeling that NBC is going to dumb down the games on NBC national over the air games... that is always my fear when a new soccer TV provider pops into the mix.

to be fair, NBC Sports Net have done a great job with MLS

I would think, to give it authenticity, they would hire more English commentators. We do seem to love to listen to the English and their accents.....and of course the obligatory Scotsman who actually knows whats going on "on the pitch". ;)

This is good news as long as I can stream it on my computer I think it is great. This will be huge in terms of bringing up the level of interest in English 'football' in the US.

Logicalman

I'm with you Don on this, I watch every Prem game each week, between Fox and ESPN. Not a good deal as far as I'm concerned for either ex-pats or US soccer lovers. The idea that it will become second to NFL is appalling, yes, I know this is the US, and NFL is THE national sport, but to buy exclusive rights to something just to demote it sounds too iffy to me.

If they are talking about charging above and beyond premium channels to PPV, then that will have the effect of reducing the viewing figures, not promoting the sport in the US.

The only good thing is that - perhaps - we'll get rid of those Fox presenters, including Barton, and the poison leprechaun, smyth, smith, smithe, whatever he calls himself, and above all, Wynalda (who apparently blames the hahas lack of form down to having too many nationalities in one team!!) As for Darke, ye gods, if the red poo ever got relegated I think he'd have a coronary!!!

Yellow Jacket

Doesn't matter who the commentators are as I always put my TV on mute.

McBridefan1

How funny is it that a guy named Lazarus is trying to bring NBC back from the dead?  :Get Coat gif: well I find it amusing... To hell with you lot.

McBridefan1

Quote from: Logicalman on October 29, 2012, 04:54:31 PM
I'm with you Don on this, I watch every Prem game each week, between Fox and ESPN. Not a good deal as far as I'm concerned for either ex-pats or US soccer lovers. The idea that it will become second to NFL is appalling, yes, I know this is the US, and NFL is THE national sport, but to buy exclusive rights to something just to demote it sounds too iffy to me.

If they are talking about charging above and beyond premium channels to PPV, then that will have the effect of reducing the viewing figures, not promoting the sport in the US.

The only good thing is that - perhaps - we'll get rid of those Fox presenters, including Barton, and the poison leprechaun, smyth, smith, smithe, whatever he calls himself, and above all, Wynalda (who apparently blames the hahas lack of form down to having too many nationalities in one team!!) As for Darke, ye gods, if the red poo ever got relegated I think he'd have a coronary!!!

Aaaah hello? If soccer even gets close to being second to the nfl it will have made a gargantuan leap forward. This is nothing but great news IMHO...

McBridefan1

I thought we all agreed Ian darke was good? What happened? To be honest no one likes any commentators in any sport, it's a bit of a lost art, you know the whole being objective thing isn't what it used to be.

WolverineFFC

I'm most worried about which cable/dish carrier will piss and moan over paying to add NBC Sports 10 or whatever additional channels are created/used to carry every game live. Which means it will take the first half of the season for the 1 million different cable and satellite providers in every separate region to figure out who is and isn't going to carry it, because you know "nobody cares about soccer". Went through this with the B10 Network and it was not fun.

Used to be Setanta and Fox. Now we have Fox, Fox+, Bein, Gol, ESPN and NBCSports carrying various leagues and competitions. Must be money to be made in this if everyone wants to be involved... which just leaves more ways for the fans to be screwed if you ask me.

092.gif

Sorry for the rant, but at least I get to use a new emoticon...

btings

HatterDon

Quote from: McBridefan1 on October 29, 2012, 11:41:21 PM

I thought we all agreed Ian darke was good? What happened? To be honest no one likes any commentators in any sport, it's a bit of a lost art, you know the whole being objective thing isn't what it used to be.

I liked him at the World Cup ... such a big improvement over the usual idiots we have. I really liked Efan Ekoku at the matches and Roberto Martinez in the studio. But Darke caught the American announcer disease and forgot how to shut up. His worst sin, is constantly asking his color man to confirm his opinion. The best sidekicks only talk when necessary. half of what McManaman says begins with, "Well, I suppose so, Ian."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

Quote from: McBridefan1 on October 29, 2012, 11:36:45 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on October 29, 2012, 04:54:31 PM

Aaaah hello? If soccer even gets close to being second to the nfl it will have made a gargantuan leap forward. This is nothing but great news IMHO...

I would agree with you MB1, except the point I was making is that whilst on Fox, Soccer was the top sport on it's own 2 channels, and every Prem game was shown each week.

If NBC do not dedicate a non-PPV channel to soccer, or start placing some on PPV, or spread them out during the week to avoid clashing with any NFL games,  then the exposure will be less, hence the reduction.

Logicalman

Quote from: HatterDon on October 30, 2012, 04:22:38 AM
Quote from: McBridefan1 on October 29, 2012, 11:41:21 PM

I liked him at the World Cup ... such a big improvement over the usual idiots we have. I really liked Efan Ekoku at the matches and Roberto Martinez in the studio. But Darke caught the American announcer disease and forgot how to shut up. His worst sin, is constantly asking his color man to confirm his opinion. The best sidekicks only talk when necessary. half of what McManaman says begins with, "Well, I suppose so, Ian."

.. put that together with his love for all things North West Red, the way he drools over the red poo and manure, and puts forwards 'facts' that only show those teams in good light and everyone else in a poor light, then you have a good commentator gone bad. I was surprised they didn't have him on that tv show, Being Boring.

Logicalman

Quote from: WolverineFFC on October 29, 2012, 11:58:58 PM
I'm most worried about which cable/dish carrier will piss and moan over paying to add NBC Sports 10 or whatever additional channels are created/used to carry every game live. Which means it will take the first half of the season for the 1 million different cable and satellite providers in every separate region to figure out who is and isn't going to carry it, because you know "nobody cares about soccer". Went through this with the B10 Network and it was not fun.

Used to be Setanta and Fox. Now we have Fox, Fox+, Bein, Gol, ESPN and NBCSports carrying various leagues and competitions. Must be money to be made in this if everyone wants to be involved... which just leaves more ways for the fans to be screwed if you ask me.

092.gif

Sorry for the rant, but at least I get to use a new emoticon...

Don't apologize Wolverine, you are perfectly correct in all you say, this is not, on the current face of it, either good for ex-pats, the truly converted or for further exposure.