https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What's been our greatest comeback

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, October 31, 2012, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzamora

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 01, 2012, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 01, 2012, 02:35:51 AM
Since I'm a relative rookie, I have to say Juve and Newcastle at home last season.

Newcastle at home last year, we were only 1 - 0 down. They then scored with about 5 minutes to go to make it 5-2

Why does a comeback have to be impressive only if its from a big scoreline?

Considering how Newcastle dominated/ were dominating the league it's pretty impressive to stick 5 past them.

Oakeshott

Bearing in mind that, to the best of my belief, we have never beaten Arsenal away, and until a 0-0 three or four years ago achieved by disciplined defending in which Brede was exceptional, had only taken one point off them at Highbury/ the Emirates, one of Fulham's great come-backs was when we were two nil down at Highbury (I think at half time) and scored twice quite early on after the break to make it 2-2, the eventual result.

It was a mid winter game in the mid/late 60s and although they were about the first side to get under-soil heating, the Arsenal pitch was very treacherous after frost and snow and players on both sides were constantly losing their footing. The reason we drew was that one of our players, Bobby Howfield I think, whom we had quote recently signed from ? Watford, switched his boots at half time for the 1960s equivalent of trainers and for some reason they gave him far more grip than the other players got from their boots. As a consequence he was able to get the better of the Arsenal defenders and I'm almost sure he got both our goals.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 31, 2012, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: cusackdribble on October 31, 2012, 10:23:59 PM
I remember going to a home game against Hull where we were 3-0 down after about 15 mins and managed a draw

Udo Onwere scored a couple I think.

Udo, Udo, Udo . Whatever happened to him?

He became a solicitor. Really.

He'll regret it.

nose

i went to the 4 4 at portsmouth, both juve games and heard the man city game lying on my bed listening to 5live (a superstiton).
The Man city comeback had the greatest emotion, juve the best feeling at a game I attended but Portsmouth was my favourite. In those days you could sit anywhere and we had the most obnoxious man from portsmouth next to us. At half time he was a complete so and so, taunting and teasing unpleasantly. At the end we had great delight in yanking his chain!

However all comebacks are great, we won 4 3 at birmingham, first day of the season once, 3 down at half time. I was overseas and could only catch it on a very poor world service station. It was also a great feeling. Last minute winners are also excellent. what about beating spurs 3 2 after being 2 down, leggy at loftus road if I recall correctly.

Peabody

Quote from: ddeuce on November 01, 2012, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 01, 2012, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 01, 2012, 02:35:51 AM
Since I'm a relative rookie, I have to say Juve and Newcastle at home last season.

Newcastle at home last year, we were only 1 - 0 down. They then scored with about 5 minutes to go to make it 5-2

Why does a comeback have to be impressive only if its from a big scoreline?

Considering how Newcastle dominated/ were dominating the league it's pretty impressive to stick 5 past them.

Firstly, no one is disputing that was not impressive. Also, its just a coincidence that these games had a big scoreline but in order to meet the criteria of the original question coming back from a 3or 4-0 nil must be a good comeback.

leonffc

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 01, 2012, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: Scrumpy on October 31, 2012, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: cusackdribble on October 31, 2012, 10:23:59 PM
I remember going to a home game against Hull where we were 3-0 down after about 15 mins and managed a draw

Udo Onwere scored a couple I think.

Udo, Udo, Udo . Whatever happened to him?

He became a solicitor. Really.

He'll regret it.

Im sure I read That he's still a fan and attends when he can

shnlwswlkr

The game against City in the great escape season? Or against Juve in the eruopa league?
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

H3Matt

Quote from: Delboy on November 01, 2012, 11:03:51 AM
Last season 2-0 down at half time at home to Citeh, they hadn't dropped a point all season, and we took them apart in the second half. Not the greatest come back, but worth a mention.

We were 1-0 down at halftime. They scored within the first 30 seconds of the 2nd half. Which makes it even more impressive to come back from 2-0 down in my eyes.

My Dad mentioned to me the comeback at Fratton Park, though in my years as a Fulham fan I can't say I've witnessed a comeback as impressive as that.

cebu

For me, it has to be the Juventus game. It will stay with me far longer than the others mentioned in this thread. The HSV game comes a close second though.

clanky

How about the FA cup game to Ashford in the 80's when we were 2 down and scraped a draw through 2 highky debateable penalties via Robbie Herreira.

A dreadful ground which wouldn't be permitted to be used by today's standards

COYW

LBNo11

Quote from: clanky on November 01, 2012, 05:44:00 PM
How about the FA cup game to Ashford in the 80's when we were 2 down and scraped a draw through 2 highky debateable penalties via Robbie Herreira.

A dreadful ground which wouldn't be permitted to be used by today's standards

COYW

...if memory serves didn't we get a tad - ahem, 'damp' that game? I know you have tried to put that game to the back of your mind clanky, but it was in the mid 90's and Micky Adams penalties..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

I remember being 3 down at St Andrews and winning 4-3.

Also, and I am very hazy on this, does anyone recollect being 4 down against (I think) Bristol Rovers and we ended up nabbing a point?

epsomraver

The car park was a ploughed field, spent an hour trying to get out and helping others, D'Urso was the ref if I remember right

Travers Barney

Not the best by a distance but recall the comeback at home to Swindon when we were 3-1 down and clawed back it back to 3-3 to earn a replay.

Lost 5-0 in the replay at the County Ground.

coyw
We are the whites

yatewhite

Quote from: Peabody on November 01, 2012, 09:16:06 AM
January 1956, second division Fulham at home to first division Newcastle United (the current cup holders). We were three down after 25 minutes into the second half and we went 4-3 up, after a hat trick from Tosh. They eventually went on to win 5-4 after a very dubious goal by Vic Keeble. Not as good as Juve and Hamburg but a very close third.

yatewhite

I was only 4 at the time of the Newcastle game in 1956 but my Dad was there. Much, much later,  I remember asking him what his best ever Fulham game was and that was his choice! How Fulhamish that his best ever Fulham game was one we lost!!!

Altstadt White

I was at the Pompey game in 1985. Three things that made that game interesting:
1) One of the Policemen that we spoke to before the game said that "...we had a chance if Pompey scored first..."
2) Pompey hat 3 goals disallowed in the 1st half - We could have gone into the break 7-0 down.
3) As we had the wind in our favour the 2nd half it was an amazing 45 minutes. As far as I recall it was 4-3 with 15 minutes to go. We scored from a penalty in the last minute......And yes, as one person wrote earlier, we could have won it.

In terms of the best fightback, I would go back to November 1982 where we 1-0 and 2-1 down away to Wolves. We won 4-2, with two cracking Ivor goals........
Ed Alstadt Evans

beijing ben

Quote from: Altstadt White on November 02, 2012, 12:27:45 PM
I was at the Pompey game in 1985. Three things that made that game interesting:
1) One of the Policemen that we spoke to before the game said that "...we had a chance if Pompey scored first..."
2) Pompey hat 3 goals disallowed in the 1st half - We could have gone into the break 7-0 down.
3) As we had the wind in our favour the 2nd half it was an amazing 45 minutes. As far as I recall it was 4-3 with 15 minutes to go. We scored from a penalty in the last minute......And yes, as one person wrote earlier, we could have won it.

In terms of the best fightback, I would go back to November 1982 where we 1-0 and 2-1 down away to Wolves. We won 4-2, with two cracking Ivor goals........

I remember looking in the newspaper (back then if you didn't go and missed final score you had to wait to look in the paper the next day to find out the score!) and seeing 4-4 for that game and being really excited. There was a picture of Kevin Lock as well -a rarity having any pictures of our players in newspapers. So, although i didn't go to it, that game does bring back very happy memories. I was only 8 then

My favourite that i attended was away to Gillingham in the autoglass trophy 92/93. We were 3-1 down with 3 minutes to go and our keeper (alan gough i think) got sent off. My best friend was a gills supporter and, quite of character, although given the circumstances understandable, really started taking the proverbial. I'd given up hope to be honest. Who wouldn't have?.. Final whistle: 3-3..