more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (02/11/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 02, 2012, 04:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Everton

Everton make the trip to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Saturday as they look to end a run of three straight draws.

Kevin Mirallas is a doubt for David Moyes after being withdrawn at half-time during last weekend's Merseyside derby with a calf strain, while Darron Gibson faces a late fitness test on his persistent thigh problem.

There is some good news for the Toffees, who welcome back Steven Pienaar from suspension.

The Cottagers are sweating on the fitness of Chris Baird (ankle) and Dimitar Berbatov (rib).

That may force Martin Jol to make changes to the side that started last weekend's 3-3 draw with Reading.

Simon Davies (hip) is a long-term absentee.

Recent form:

Fulham: WLDWD

Everton: WWDDD

Possible lineups:

Fulham: Schwarzer; Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Riether; Riise, Richardson, Etuhu, Duff; Ruiz, Rodallega

Everton: Howard; Coleman, Distin, Jagielka, Baines; Pienaar, Naismith, Fellaini, Neville, Osman; Jelavic

Sports Mole says: 2-1

Read the full story on Sports Mole at: http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-everton_52678.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's New Balance

This season has seen some significant changes in personnel and style of football signalling that we really are starting to see Martin Jol's team. One of the most interesting changes has been that this current Fulham side has become a lot more balanced when it comes to attacking. Last season attacks were split like so:

Left – 27%

Middle – 38%

Right – 35%

This shows the influence of Dempsey's consistent cutting in and the impact of Dembele, Ruiz, Diarra, Murphy and Duff who attacked through the middle or on the right. This spread of attacks was not a huge problem, although there were times when Fulham cried out for a bit of width to change games. An example that springs to mind is the Blackburn game away when Fulham were playing against 10 men. Rich has outlined this last season and against Blackburn's 10 men we struggled to spread the play in what was one of the worst performances of the season.

This season there has been significant change:

Left – 35%

Middle – 33%

Right – 32%

Not only is the distribution of attacks much more balance across the pitch, for the first time in what must be a while (pre Hodgson I would imagine) the left hand side has seen the most  Fulham attacks. This can be directly traced to the loss of Dempsey and the introduction of Kaca and Richardson on the left, both players with pace who like to stick to the left of the pitch. This is not to say that they do not cut in, both do, but they are happy to attack from this area into the box; providing both crosses and shots.

So the question is – is a more balanced Fulham a better Fulham? I would imagine that it makes us far less predictable going forward, which is a positive thing. The stats would indicate that we are also much better at not only shooting but getting shots on target so this more balanced attack seems to be paying dividends. Often in seasons gone past we could get funnelled down the centre too often, but now Fulham have real width and pace to balance out the lashings of creativity emanating from the middle in the forms of Bryan Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/fulhams-new-balance/?

WhiteJC

Berbatov`s Desire

Some players just get better with age.

They change their game to accommodate the aging process but still produce performances that enable them to be operatives in top-flight football.

Classic examples of this type of professional being our own Mark Schwarzer plus those two youngsters at Manchester United; Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, both of whom are nearer forty than thirty!

Therefore, it`s interesting to read that our own Dimitar Berbatov harbours thoughts of playing on until his 40th birthday, commenting in a leading tabloid paper,

"I`m not a keeper, Ryan Giggs or Paolo Maldini, but I want to play until I am 40."

"I want to play in England for several more years. I like England as a place. I like the mentality, culture and its football."

Our feeling is that with his laid-back, but very effective style, Dimitar could very well get his wish, providing he steers clear of injuries.

But, if he`s looking to prolong his club career, what about his international career, something he gave up on a couple of years back?

Well it looks like that decision is one he`s not going to change his mind about with the former Bulgarian international remarking in the same red-top,

"I`m standing by the decision I made more than two years ago. My time has passed."

I wonder, I just wonder, if Dimitar would be thinking down the same lines if Bulgaria were more than a half decent side!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=298415#ixzz2B2MxNrpu

WhiteJC

Defensive Player of the Week: Chris Baird

In a season where clean sheets are hard to come by a defender who weighs in with a few goals now and then is very valuable indeed.

If this reliable stopper is actually playing in midfield as well, increasingly the likelihood of him pocketing some assists, then it's almost a no-brainer.

Come on Fantasy League managers, pick Chris Baird!

Never exactly a standout Premier League performer, Baird has been earmarked by cavalier manager Martin Jol as the man to replace metronome Danny Murphy in the middle of the Fulham midfield.

Jol, who must be credited with turning Mousa Dembele from a stylish forward into a £15m all-action midfielder, says Baird is the best passer at the club, but can't have expected this goal rush.

The Northern Ireland international has scored two identical goals in as many games by dashing to the near post to head home a teasing corner.

They were his first goals in over a season and you have to go back to December 2010 to find the 30-year-old's name appear on the scoresheet again.

On that fateful day in Stoke Baird netted twice and, if memory serves, it was a pretty special brace where he struck from range, much to the surprise of himself, his team-mates and the Potters.

The former Southampton versatility-man has already racked up 11 points, a total bettered by just four full-backs on the Fantasy League Player List and as good as his more esteemed colleague John Arne-Riise.

Baird is £0.2m less than the rocketed-footed Norwegian in Classic, a few thousand pounds that could come in very handy to sign one of the goal hungry strikers that currently prowl the top flight.

Fulham remain an attractive option for fantasy managers when they play at home, even with Everton visiting on Saturday, because of their strong record at Craven Cottage.

However, they're also becoming harder to beat on their travels and have kept an admirable total of three clean sheets so far.

http://www.fantasyleague.com/Articles/FantasyFootball/PremierLeague/defensive_player_of_the_week_011112.aspx?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham can qualify for Europe, says Sascha Riether

Sascha Riether: Wants Fulham to cut out small errors to be capable of qualifying for Europe

Sascha Riether reckons Fulham only need to make small improvements to their game to be capable of qualifying for Europe.

Martin Jol's team currently sit seventh in the Premier League after taking 14 points from nine matches ahead of hosting Everton on Saturday.

Fulham dropped points last weekend in their dramatic 3-3 draw at Reading while late goals against Southampton and Manchester City have also proved costly.

And on-loan Cologne defender Riether thinks he and his team-mates are capable of pushing into the top six of the table if they cut those sort of errors out of their game.

"If we win games like this, then getting into Europe is possible. But at the moment we are not, so we have to work on it," the right-back told the Fulham Chronicle.

"We are very close to pushing for the Europa League, maybe. But if we are a good team, we win these games. That's what makes the difference.

"It's only a bit more we need to win these kind of games. I don't know what it is we need but it's something that is missing.

"Like against Southampton and Manchester City, we gave away a goal in the last minutes and that's very disappointing.

Riether has featured in all of Fulham's Premier League games this season and he is pleased with how he has settled in England as he prepares for Everton.

"We know that it will be a very hard game and that they have a very good team. But at home, we can win against anybody," he said.

"I hope to play my part again. I'm a little bit surprised at how well it's gone for me so far but my team-mates have helped me a lot."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8217681?

WhiteJC

Everton at Fulham: Q&A with Cottagers Confidential

RBM's Q&A with Fulham blog 'Cottagers Confidential', ahead of the Premier League game on Saturday.

Everton travel to Fulham on Saturday, and we talked to Kristian of Cottagers Confidential about how their season has been progressing so far. Take a look at the Q&A we did for their blog here.

RBM - Since barely escaping relegation five seasons ago, Fulham has put together a run of seventh, twelfth, eight and ninth place finishes. This year they are off to a flying start again, currently in seventh. Fans must be happy about performances at the Cottage? There must be hopes that the team can put together a higher finish?

CC - If you had told us in May 2008 that we'd be lining up in the Premier League with Dimitar Berbatov spearheading our attack, we'd all have laughed you off. In that sense, and in the grand scheme of things, it's remarkable where we are at as a club. We're ambitious too, with a Grade 1 academy and some exciting prospects coming through.

That said, we're still hoping there's room for improvement, especially after a summer of selling. You get the feeling that if we hadn't lost Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey - in truth, even keeping just one would have been brilliant - we'd be flying even higher right now. Dembele is something special and that is exactly what we are missing in central midfield right now.

RBM - For those who don't remember, Fulham made a fairytale run in the 2009/10 Europa League, losing narrowly in the final. After making it to the 2011/12 competition, they barely missed out on making past the group stages. What do you feel Fulham have learned from their European forays?

CC - We carried through a great sense of belief from that first run. We felt like we could do anything at that point. We had a team of, ultimately, has-beens - and I don't mean it negatively, that was simply Roy Hodgson's transfer policy - and yet we beat the previous holders, Shakhtar Donetsk, Wolfsburg, Hamburg and, most notably, Juventus. We won those games because we were organised as a unit, but also prepared to be patient with our build up play.

In a sense, we're a different outfit now and that may have had something to do with our being knocked out last season. We're far more attacking and progressive now, which has undoubtedly undermined stability at the back. Not that it's bad - I prefer the way we play now as opposed to then.

RBM - Fulham have gone through three managers in the last few years - Roy Hodgson, Mark Hughes and now Martin Jol. What is Jol's current philosophy? Are the fans happy with the kind of football he has been promoting? How about the players?

CC - We're more than happy with how we're shaping up as an outfit now. We take the initiative now, in a way we never used to. It's wonderful to see but it does, inevitably, mean we leak goals more than ever before, also. Our recent two away games highlight that. We're bad enough outside of Craven Cottage without our new fascination with conceding late, costly goals.

One at Southampton and two at Reading meant we have dropped four points recently from solid, winning positions. It's a worry but, before, we wouldn't have even got the goals to take the lead anyway.

RBM - The Cottagers were quite busy in the summer transfer market - did the manner of Clint Dempsey's exit leave a bad taste in the mouths of fans? A couple of other big names left as well, Moussa Dembele, Pavel Pogrebnyak, Danny Murphy, Andy Johnson - how badly did these players leaving affect the team?

CC - Clint Dempsey's departure was cruelly handled and crassly negotiated by Liverpool - to such an extent that he, of course, joined Tottenham Hotspur. Obviously, we've all been a little hurt by how Dempsey handled himself - refusing to play, pushing for a transfer, e.t.c. It's not the way professionals are supposed to work but, unfortunately, it's now become a part of the game and in many ways, we expected it.

The only other departures that have hurt us are Danny Murphy - though to a lesser extent - and Moussa Dembele. I've already mentioned the benefits of having a Dembele in your team. He's a huge, huge player. We'll miss him and I doubt we'll go close to truly replacing him.

RBM - On the plus side, Dimitar Berbatov has sparkled since coming in at Fulham, do questions still remain about his work ethic on the field? How has he been in training, and how do Jol and his colleagues feel about his supposed 'lackadaisical' approach?

CC - There's a lot said about Berbatov's slow, tepid approach to the game but it's not for want of trying. He's worked harder than I've ever seen him do so before at Fulham and his off-the-ball work goes wholly unnoticed. But yes, I'd agree he perhaps has a different approach to the game to many but he's earned the right and every now and then you need a player who thinks a little differently and acts a little differently.

He's a world-class player. Simple as that. I have yet to complain about him at Fulham and I doubt I ever will.

RBM - Fulham, like Everton, are considered to be one of the smaller clubs in the Premiership. However, unlike Everton, Fulham do have an owner with deep pockets in Mohammed Al-Fayed. Are the fans happy with him? Do they feel he is completely committed to the cause and has given Jol the support (read: money) he needs? How about the Cottage, any plans for relocation or expansion?

CC - Yet another man I will never complain about (unless he puts up a somehow more controversial statue). He's one of few owners these days that has both a considerable amount of money and a distinct passion for the club he owns. He loves Fulham and he will never see anything bad happen to us.

We will stand by Mo as he has always stood by us but it's also worth noting that, though rich, he's as keen on a self-sustaining model at the club as other, respectable chairmen. We're one of few clubs currently turning a profit - even though our ground is tiny, and more on that in a bit - and we have a solid wage structure that probably only Berbatov has gone close to breaking. To that end, yes, he has supported Jol and he will continue to do so. Jol himself said he has a good £16 million or so in the bank to spend on players as soon as January so the support is 100% there.

As for the ground, we're due to start work at the end of the season on an expansion that will take us to 30,000. The early sketches look wonderful and, even though they look overly modern in what is a traditional ground, it still manages to work. I cannot wait for it to be unveiled.

RBM - Finally, what are you expecting on Saturday, do you think we're going to have another barn-burner like last week's 3-3 draw against Reading, or a battle of wits between the coaches in a tactical game? What formation do you expect Fulham to line up in? How about a score prediction?

CC - At home we're simply a different force and I expect there to be spells within the game where we are controlling and dictating play. That said, you yourselves have a top-notch squad and if you squeeze us sufficiently then you can easily take something away from the game.

I think we'll end up with something resembling 4-4-1-1 with Bryan Ruiz - who can be pivotal on his day - in the hole and Berbatov leading the line, if his rib injury is not too severe. My score prediction is an entertaining but disappointing 1-1.

http://www.royalbluemersey.com/2012/11/1/3586676/everton-at-fulham-q-a-with-cottagers-confidential?

WhiteJC

Bryan hoping to face his good friend Bryan at the Cottage

Bryan Oviedo is hoping to face his good friend and countryman Bryan Ruiz at Fulham on Saturday.

Oviedo has been limited to just a handful of appearances since signing for Everton in August, but the Costa Rican is looking to feature when Everton travel to West London this weekend.

The left sided defender can also play in midfield and he has revealed his close friendship with Ruiz, who scored against Everton in the same fixture last season.

Oviedo told evertontv:

"It is nice to play against Bryan".

"I talk with him a lot and we are the only two Costa Rican players in England. We need to win and take the three points."

"I spoke to him before I joined Everton and we still speak on the telephone. I congratulated him on the goal (he scored against Reading last weekend). He is a very good guy and our national team captain. He is a good person."

"I spoke with him two days ago, he told me Fulham need the three points but I told him it is the same for Everton. Maybe after the game we will swap shirts."

http://efcfeelinblue.com/bryan-hoping-to-face-his-good-friend-bryan-at-the-cottage/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=bryan-hoping-to-face-his-good-friend-bryan-at-the-cottage

WhiteJC

Q&A with Everton blog, Royal Blue Mersey

We find out that Everton's left side is their most threatening and, after a quick start to the season, what their hopes are for the remainder of the campaign.

We return to Craven Cottage on Saturday to face Everton and, in case Martin Jol hasn't done his homework, I got the lowdown on all things Toffee by chatting with Royal Blue Mersey blogger, Calvin.

1) CC: It's become quite clear in previous years that you're more of an end-of-season team than an early season team. This year, though, something's changed and you've started brightly. Why do you think that is and do you think you can carry it on throughout the season?

RBM: The fantastic finishes Everton have put together the last couple of seasons had made the slow starts all the more frustrating. This season it seemed like the team took off at a sprint, and though they have slowed up in recent weeks, this is a much better start than most fans would have anticipated.

This just might be the best squad in terms of youth and experience, skill and grit, that David Moyes has assembled in his decade with Everton. In fact, most of the players have been here for a few years now and it was always going to be just a matter of time before the tightly-knit group gelled together, and it's looking like now is the time.

2) On this year's form, who are your most threatening players to our defence? And who, at the back, do you rely on most?

Leighton Baines and Steven Pienaar form a lethal left wing combination, and most of Everton's attacking football originates on that side. Marouane Fellaini has sparkled this year playing in a forward role while Nikica Jelavic is an instinctive, one-touch striker, much like your Dimitar Berbatov. What has made Everton a much more balanced squad this season is the signing of Kevin Mirallas to play wing on the right - his flair and vision has really helped put opponents to the sword when they overload their right side to counter the Baines-Pienaar effect.

Everton have a strange quandary in the back - they have three very good central defenders, but it seems no combination of two players have the right chemistry. Phil Jagielka, Sylvain Distin and John Heitinga are all very capable and solid centerbacks, but all sorts of chaos have been plaguing Everton's defence from setpieces and counterattacks. Darron Gibson plays a pivotal role as defensive midfielder, and has been absolutely outstanding since his switch from Manchester United last year. His absence due to injury in the last few weeks is arguably the reason why Everton's charge has lost some momentum recently.

3) You've been recently accused by a certain someone of playing long-ball football. Is this an assertion you agree with, or is this just another, dirty case of sour grapes?

The certain someone's comments were received with much hilarity by Everton players and fans alike. His furious backpedalling the next day was cause for even more mirth. Personally I am amazed that he was this quick to shoot off his mouth when the statistics are out there and actually disprove his accusations. That might have been true over a decade ago when Everton's sole mode of obtaining goals was to hoof the ball upfront for Duncan Ferguson to somehow put in the net. Nowadays, Everton's patient passing and incisive wing play might not quite be Barcelona's tiki taka, but certainly does take advantage of the players' strength and aerial prowess.

The Reds have had David Moyes' number in derby fixtures for sure, but Everton finishing ahead of them last season in the Premier League table certainly rankled, and they definitely are not enjoying trailing in the wake of Everton again this season, while the Toffees are playing the attractive, attacking football they want to be known for.

4) Aside from the league, are you hoping for any cup success this season?

Everton getting knocked out early from the League Cup was very frustrating. David Moyes has not won any silverware in his Goodison Park tenure, and part of it has been a lack of squad depth. Everton's financial issues have resulted in a very thin squad, and it shows when he trots out reserves to play in the League Cup. Fans would have certainly liked to have seen him play his strongest team, but it looks like Moyes is trying to make sure his players remain well-rested for the long, grueling season ahead.

In the FA Cup on the other hand, Everton have come quite close in a couple of occasions, and it always seems to be Moyes' tactical timidity that does the team in. I would absolutely love to see Moyes get his squad to play full-blooded attack for ninety minutes, but it always seems he tries to close up shop when leading, and settles for draws when we are behind. There is a lot of hope for the FA Cup among the fans this year, but let's see what Moyes can conjure up in the January transfer window.

5) What do you think of Fulham as a club, and is there anyone in our side that you'd like in your squad?

I have been envious of Fulham's riches and European adventures in recent years! Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a Juventus fan too and took very masochistic pleasure in seeing Fulham come from behind to beat Juventus in the Europa Cup a few years ago, as that precipitated the demise of that Juventus squad and the growth of the current, championship-winning one.

Your side has quite a few attacking players that I would love to see in Everton colors. While Berbatov is very similar in playing style to Jelavic, Mladen Petric and Bryan Ruiz are a couple of excellent attacking players. Midfielders Steve Sidwell, Kieran Richardson and Damien Duff are also experienced Premier League players and any one of them would be more desirable than incumbent Everton substitute Magaye Gueye playing in midfield.

6) And finally, what do you think the score will be?

If Fulham scores early Everton will be under the gun and I foresee a home win. However, if Everton can settle quick and establish themselves then we should be in for a very exciting game - I'd say 2-2, with Fulham scoring late to tie it up.

Thanks very much to Calvin and, for some great content and for my responses to the questions they posed, check out Royal Blue Mersey.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/11/1/3586792/q-a-with-everton-blog-royal-blue-mersey?

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton Match Preview by Paddy Howlin

The Toffees make their second visit to West London in a fortnight, when they face an inform Fulham side a Craven Cottage on Saturday (kick off 15:00 GMT).

After coming back from 0-2 down to eventually draw with Liverpool last Sunday, Everton will be hoping to return to winning ways following three consecutive draws in the Premier League.

The Toffees will also be keen to break a now too frequent habit of falling behind to their opponents and conceding the first goal in the game, a trait that has now happened in the past four league matches.

David Moyes will want to re-establish Everton's once renowned solid back four that has been the foundations of the relative success that the Scottish Manager has had at Goodison for the past ten and a half years in the Goodison hot-seat.

Whilst it is generally accepted that the Toffees are now playing a far more expansive and attractive style than previous seasons (regardless of what Steve Gerrard says), which is naturally going to create space defensively, Everton need to try and find some solidity at the back which they showed early on in the season in the impressive victories against Manchester United and Aston Villa.

The long term absence of Darron Gibson has not helped matters with this regard, however the growing frequency of teams catching Everton cold defensively early on in matches (as per the recent games versus Southampton, Wigan, QPR and Liverpool recently) must be causing David Moyes a few sleepless nights, as must be the laxidasical displays from Sylvain Distin.

The Everton centre-back positions must be an area that David Moyes will be reviewing in January. As proven in the game at Wigan without the French centre-half, Everton lack the required pace to play the high defensive line required in the current system.

With Jagielka, Heitinga and Duffy all lacking pace it will be interesting to see if Moyes will look for options elsewhere to replace Distin who turns 35 in December or change our current system.

The trip to Fulham on Saturday will not be easy, with the West London side having an equally impressive start to the season as the Toffees, picking up 14 points from their first 9 games and performing above all expectations in 7th place. A win for the hosts at the Cottage on Saturday will see Fulham leapfrog Everton in the league table.

The Cottagers where unlucky not to win last weekend away to Reading, where they ended up drawing 3-3, after twice leading 2-1 and 3-2 before being pegged back by the newly promoted side.

Fulham's start is equally impressive when you consider that manager Martin Jol has virtually rebuilt the side that progressed to the 2010 UEFA Cup Final under Roy Hodgson over the past 12 months, with major players such as Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson, Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and more recently Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembélé all leaving Craven Cottage.

Jol has rebuilt Fulham on a modest budget bringing in Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United, Kieran Richardson from Sunderland and Ashkan Dejagah from German outfit Wolfsburg for a combined £8m.

The Dutch manager has also utilised the Bosman free agent market, beating off Everton for the signing of ex-Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega and Mladen Petric from Jol's former club Hamburg. Forward Petric particularly has impressed, scoring three goals in five appearances for the Cottages since signing in the summer.

Since taking over at Fulham in June 2011 and despite a relatively slow start, Jol has maintained Fulham's position as a stable Premier League side finishing his first season in a credible 9th place.

The Cottages status in the Premier League during the past 11 seasons has been built on their excellent home form, and this has continued with Jol loosing just 5 home matches under the Dutch manager (including a harsh 1-3 defeat to Everton last October).

Fulham's only home defeat this season came in September when they lost 1-2 to league champions Manchester City.

Like the Toffees, Fulham have not had any midweek distractions with the Capital One League Cup, after being knocked out in Round 2 by Championship side Sheffield Wednesday, but will have had an additional day to rest and prepare for the clash on Saturday.

Fulham almost have a full squad to choose from, with only ex-Everton midfielder Simon Davies the only long term absentee with a hip injury expected to keep him out until the New Year.

Defender Chris Baird, who has been in excellent goal-scoring form recently, should be fit to return after injuring himself in his celebration after scoring Fulham's 2nd goal at Reading and being immediately substituted.

Dimitar Berbatov should also be fit despite having to play with the aid of a painkilling injection due to a rib injury.

Everton are likely to be without the impressive Kevin Mirallas who was savagely kicked out of the Merseyside Derby and has a foot injury that is likely to keep him out of action for the next few weeks.

Steven Piennar should however return after serving his one-match suspension. There is still no news on the return of Darron Gibson and whilst it would be typical of David Moyes to just put him back in to the team once he is fit and ready, indications are that he is still not fit enough to be considered.

Everton's record at Craven Cottage has improved in recent seasons with the Toffees only losing one of their past four visits in the Premier League.

Prior to May 2009, Everton went 43 years without a victory, however as evidenced in our fixture their last season we appear to have put to an end the bad luck we had for this long period.

Hopefully we can put an end to our run of draws and get back to winning ways and come away with a clean sheet in the process.

COYB's!!

http://www.followtonians.com/?p=5615

vagrant

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 02, 2012, 04:39:45 AM

Preview: Fulham vs. Everton

Everton make the trip to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Saturday as they look to end a run of three straight draws.

Kevin Mirallas is a doubt for David Moyes after being withdrawn at half-time during last weekend's Merseyside derby with a calf strain, while Darron Gibson faces a late fitness test on his persistent thigh problem.

There is some good news for the Toffees, who welcome back Steven Pienaar from suspension.

The Cottagers are sweating on the fitness of Chris Baird (ankle) and Dimitar Berbatov (rib).

That may force Martin Jol to make changes to the side that started last weekend's 3-3 draw with Reading.

Simon Davies (hip) is a long-term absentee.

Recent form:

Fulham: WLDWD

Everton: WWDDD

Possible lineups:

Fulham: Schwarzer; Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Riether; Riise, Richardson, Etuhu, Duff; Ruiz, Rodallega

Everton: Howard; Coleman, Distin, Jagielka, Baines; Pienaar, Naismith, Fellaini, Neville, Osman; Jelavic

Sports Mole says: 2-1

Read the full story on Sports Mole at: http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-everton_52678.html

When did Etuhu return.  If he's back we've got no chance.............!!!!!

WhiteJC

Fulham ready to reward Martin Jol with offer of contract extension
The Dutchman's current deal expires at the end of the season and the Cottagers want to avoid a repeat of the situation when ex-boss Mark Hughes walked out without notice

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Fulham are ready to open talks with manager Martin Jol about a new contract, Goal.com has learned.

The Dutchman's current deal expires at the end of the season and negotiations have yet to begin on an extension.

However, the west London club want to tie Jol down to a longer agreement after being impressed with how he has guided the team through the new season despite losing regulars Mousa Dembele, Clint Dempsey, Pavel Pogrebnyak, Danny Murphy, Andy Johnson and Dickson Etuhu in the summer.

Fulham are wary of avoiding a repeat of the situation in June 2011, when former boss Mark Hughes took advantage of an escape clause in his contract to quit without notice.

Jol guided Fulham to ninth in the Premier League – and equal on points with eighth-placed Liverpool - in his first season in charge, with the team's 52-point haul only a point short of their record tally in the top tier. The club currently stand seventh in the league after nine games of the current campaign.

The 56-year-old former Tottenham, Ajax and Hamburg boss is understood to have been particularly disappointed to lose prize asset Dembele to Tottenham in the last week of the August window but was thrilled that chief executive Alistair Mackintosh and owner Mohamed Al-Fayed backed his judgement by negotiating the stellar signing of Dimitar Berbatov two days later.

When addressing the issue of his future, Jol recently hinted at a lack of appreciation from a section of the Fulham fanbase.

"I'd love to stay, but I'm too sensitive for this business," he explained. "I like to be recognised. That's why I'm a sportsman. I work not only for money, but because I want people to see me and my club are doing well.

"When I was in Waalwijk, at my first club, they named a street after me.

"I get on with the people at Fulham. The only thing is this is an old-school place. I still don't feel all the supporters are behind me."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/11/02/3494422/-?

WhiteJC

Everton FC must beat Fulham or risk losing ground on Champions League chasing pack, says Bryan Oviedo.

EVERTON must beat Fulham tomorrow or risk losing crucial ground on the Champions League chasing pack, says Bryan Oviedo.

With Chelsea and Manchester United beginning to pull away from the rest, Everton's third consecutive draw last weekend in the Merseyside derby saw them replaced in the Premier League's top four by Tottenham.

However summer signing Oviedo, 22, is convinced the Blues have the mental strength and attacking flair to maintain their European challenge – and can prove it by winning at Craven Cottage tomorrow.

He said: "It is very important for us to win this weekend because we what to stay in the top places. We need to win to keep close to the Champions League positions.

"But we have a very good team, very strong defenders and good players in midfield and attack.

"The team has a strong mentality. We have come back from being 1-0 and 2-0 down in recent games and the team is very united."

The left-sided Costa Rican international is having to bide his time when it comes to first team opportunities at Goodison with the formidable duo of Leighton Baines and Steven Pienaar ahead of him, but he impressed during a brief cameo in last Sunday's 2-2 draw with Liverpool.

And if he gets the chance to feature against Martin Jol's men, his friendship with international team-mate and captain Bryan Ruiz will be put firmly on hold.

"It is nice to play against Bryan," said the former FC Copenhagen player. "I talk with him a lot and we are the only two Costa Rican players in England. We need to win and take the three points.

"I spoke to him before I joined Everton and we still speak on the telephone. I congratulated him on the goal (he scored against Reading last weekend). He is a very good guy and our national team captain. He is a good person.

"I spoke with him two days ago too, he told me Fulham need the three points but I told him it is the same for Everton. Maybe after the game we will swap shirts.

"I think Fulham has good attacking players; Berbatov, Bryan and Rodallega are good players so we will need to be careful."

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2012/11/02/everton-fc-must-beat-fulham-or-risk-losing-ground-on-champions-league-chasing-pack-says-bryan-oviedo-100252-32149786/2/#ixzz2B56jmbho

WhiteJC

Ultimate XI: Fulham

It's that time again, and Football411 brings you a team's best XI from the Premier League era, with this week's focus on London outfit Fulham

Goalkeeper - Edwin van der Sar

In a career in which he also represented Ajax, Juventus, Manchester United and Holland, Fulham may not get much of a mention on Van der Sar's CV. Yet the London club was arguably where he produced the best form of his career. At United he was able to set a worldwide record for the longest playing time without conceding a goal (1,311 minutes, in the 2008-09 season), yet much of that was put down to the form of the defence in front of him.

In truth, Van der Sar had a lot less to do when he was at United, whereas he was generally kept pretty busy at Fulham. Signed upon their elevation to the Premier League for the first time, the Dutchman played a key role as they not only stayed up, but finished 13th. No-one scored more than eight goals for the Cottagers that season, scoring just 36 goals in 38 games, but the fact that they conceded just 44 kept them safe - and saw them establish themselves in England's top league.

Right Back - Steve Finnan

Not a position that has been occupied by stand-out players at Fulham. John Paintsil has put in a few games, and was around during a particularly good defensive period a few years ago, but he also had some shockers which led to him being shipped off last year. But Finnan was dependable throughout his five years at the club, playing a part in Fulham's rise to the Premier League and their stint in the Intertoto Cup.

In many ways he was a typical Fulham investment, arriving at the club for just £600k, enjoying five solid seasons, helping them secure 10 out of 15 points at the end of the 2003 season before going to a bigger club for £3.5m. Job done.

Centre Back - Aaron Hughes

It's some feat that Hughes is still part of Fulham's first-choice side when you think that he made his Premier League debut 15 years ago. That was as an 18-year-old, after Hughes had come through the Newcastle ranks, and he actually made his senior debut in the Nou Camp of all places.

Hughes' career has not had the sparkle that those early days might have suggested, but he's never let a club down. And alongside Brede Hangeland he's brought stability to the Fulham defence since his arrival at Craven Cottage in 2007 - especially during the time that Roy Hodgson was in charge at the club.

Centre back - Brede Hangeland

Brought to Fulham by Roy Hadgson, his former manager at Viking, Hangeland's towering presence has brought both clean sheets and handy goals - the 2010-11 season was his most prolific for Fulham, as he netted six times in the Premier League.

That same season saw Fulham concede just 43 goals all season, which made the Hughes-Hangeland axis the fourth best defence in the league, but 2008-09 was even more impressive - the duo let in just 34 goals in 38 games. With Hangeland reportedly turning down several offers to move to bigger clubs, it's little wonder that the Norwegian captain has become a Fulham legend.

Left Back - Paul Konchesky

He might have been a bit of a journeyman, but left back is another problem position for Fulham and Konchesky did have some storming games for the club so he edges out Rufus Brevett. Konchesky had a terrible debut, tripping over the ball to allow Hull City to score the winner, but there were plenty of good times as well - most notably the run to the Europa League final in 2009-10, where Fulham were finally undone by Atletico Madrid.

Midfield - Sean Davis

Perhaps there have been more talented Fulham midfielders than Davis, but none have turned out for the club for anywhere near the length of time that he did. In fact, Davis is the only player to have played in all four leagues in England, having climbed the ladder from the bottom with Fulham - he made his debut in a 3-0 win over Cambridge United in the old Third Division, at the age of 17.

He moved on after three years in the top flight with Fulham, and enjoyed a few successful seasons at Portsmouth, but having come through the Fulham youth system, there's no doubt where his main connection lies. His only call-up to the England squad arrived during his time at the club.

Midfield - Danny Murphy

His age has finally started to catch up to him, leading Martin Jol to release him last summer after club and player failed to agree on a contract extension, but for five excellent years Murphy pulled all the strings at Fulham. Liverpool may have been his boyhood club, but it was only at Fulham that he was allowed to fulfil his potential as he became the main man in the centre of midfield.

That led him to wear the captain's armband for several seasons after it was initially handed to him by Roy Hodgson for the 2008-09 season - Fulham's best in the Premier League. As well as being a fine defender and someone who was able to run the game, Murphy's acumen at set pieces made him probably Fulham's most complete midfielder of the Premier League era.

Midfield - Clint Dempsey

Fulham's most prolific midfielder during their time in the Premier League - and by some distance. In fact only Louis Saha has scored more goals in all competitions for the club than Dempsey's 50 since their elevation to the top flight. They're certainly going to need more goals from their strikers now that he's gone to Tottenham, which so far has been the case with Mladen Petric and Dimitar Berbatov scoring three apiece.

Six million quid was a snip for a player who averaged a goal every three or four games, yet Fulham tripled their money after signing Dempsey for just £2 million, which at the time was the most money anyone had paid for a Major League Soccer import. And he was their top goal scorer for the last two seasons, netting 17 league goals in 2011-12.

Midfield - Steed Malbranque

Our memory of Malbranque may have been sullied somewhat by a fairly ordinary stint at Tottenham, yet the Belgian-born midfielder enjoyed five excellent seasons at Fulham. He started by scoring eight crucial goals in their debut season in the Premier League - the most by anyone at the club and arguably the difference between finishing 13th and 18th since goals were so hard to come by that season.

Diminutive in stature, his low centre of gravity allowed him to be the best dribbler in the side, and his sniping jonks in from the wing were a regular feature of Fulham's play until he was snapped up by Spurs in the summer of 2006. He keeps Luis Boa Morte out of this side on the basis that the Portuguese player enjoyed a great spell with the club in the Championship, but never matched that once his transfer to Fulham was made permanent.

Striker - Louis Saha

Saha has played in many different colours during his career, but things have never been as good as they were at Fulham between 2000 and 2004. Part of a French influx following the appointment of Jean Tigana as manager, Saha saw Fulham into the Premier League with 27 league goals that easily earned the club automatic promotion from the Championship - they topped the league by a clear 10 points, with a positive goal difference of 58.

The next two seasons were not so prolific, and he struggled with injury in 2002-03, but he was at the peak of his powers in 2003-04. Saha's 15 league goals, most of them swept in with that sweet left foot, lifted Fulham to ninth in the league. His legend at the club would have been greater had they not come under significant financial pressure to sell him to Manchester United, for which they received a club record £13 million.

Striker - Brian McBride

Think of Brian McBride and its difficult not to recall the sense of calm on the big American's face as he walked off the field with blood streaming off his face at the 2006 World Cup - courtesy a vindictive elbow in the face from Daniele De Rossi. In an age where footballers were increasingly learning to feign injury, McBride proved himself a special kind of tough man, which means that he was tough as nails without feeling he had to show off about it (a la Vinnie Jones).

But he wasn't just a solid front man who could hold the ball up either - McBride had skills and awareness as well as a thumping header. In some respects his talent was wasted in that it was only properly recognised once he was already in his thirties. But he gave four great years to Fulham, earning the captain's armband and regular Player of the Year awards, and he became such a favourite that the club renamed the bar inside Craven Cottage 'McBride's' in 2009.

Substitutes: Mark Schwarzer, Rufus Brevett, Moussa Dembele, Papa Bouba Diop, Luis Boa Morte, Collins John, Andrew Johnson.

http://www.football411.com/story/0,22162,14287_8218388,00.html?

WhiteJC

Ruiz excited by Berbatov partnership

Bryan Ruiz

BRYAN Ruiz says he feels like a kid in a sweet shop playing with Dimitar Berbatov and wants to build a partnership to terrorise Premier League defences.

So far the Costa Rican has not had many opportunities to forge a meaningful understanding with the silky-skilled Berbatov – both players having missed games through injury.

But there were signs during the second half at Reading on Saturday that Fulham fans will be in for a treat if the pair are given time to play together.

"I think I am going to really enjoy playing with Berba, because he is a very technical player and moves really well," Ruiz told the Chronicle.

"He always finds space and I can see very quickly where he wants the ball to go.

"It was a real pleasure to play with him this week, because we haven't really had a chance so far. Anyone would love to work with someone like that. I think we can do well together to open defences."

Ruiz added: "It helps that we have so many good players up front, so the trainer's going to have some difficult decisions there. I will do my best to be involved as much as possible."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/11/02/82029-32138755/?#ixzz2B57mpjWt

WhiteJC

International Nod For Donnelly

Fulham youngster Liam Donnelly has been named in the Northern Ireland Under-21 squad for a friendly against England on Tuesday 13th November.

Defender Donnelly will now be hoping to feature when Northern Ireland meet England at Blackpool's Bloomfield Road.

Donnelly, 16, is a recent addition to Fulham's Under-18s squad after joining from IFA Premiership side Dungannon Swifts - where former Whites favourite Rodney McAree is first-team coach.

Elsewhere, Muamer Tankovic has been selected to attend a Sweden Under-19 training camp in Stockholm between Monday 12th to Thursday 15th November.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/02/international-nod-for-donnelly?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham and Leicester striker may make Barnet return against Oxford

Barnet head coach Mark Robson is hoping that former Fulham and Leicester striker Collins John will return to the side against Oxford United.

The Dutchman joined Barnet in September but his debut only lasted 15 minutes due to injury.

However, the frontman returned to training this week and may make his return against their FA Cup opponents.

"Collins could return to the squad on Saturday and we hope to have Ricky (Holmes) training at the back end of this week," Robson told the Barnet and Potters Bar Times.

"So we are getting one or two back. Freddie Warren and Curtis Weston played in a friendly we had at the training ground the other day.

"So we are getting players back so that will only help and strengthen the squad," he added.

http://www.london24.com/sport/former_fulham_and_leicester_striker_may_make_barnet_return_against_oxford_1_1678937

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - The rejuvenation of Damien Duff

Before this season began, if you would have asked Fulham fans about their feelings on Damien Duff, while they would not be critical, they would certainly not be clamouring for his continual involvement in the first team.

A fine player Duff certainly has been, particularly in the Roy Hodgson era when he was part of a Fulham side that so brilliantly reached the Europa League final, only to bravely lose out to Diego Forlan, Sergio Aguero and Atletico Madrid. However, now at the age of 33 and with the talents of Bryan Ruiz, Kerim Frei, Alex Kacaniklic and at the time, Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele, Duff's time in the Fulham side was perhaps petering towards an end.

However, following the latter two's departures, Ruiz's continued struggles and Frei's inability to overcome his injury problems and break into the first team, the former Republic of Ireland international has found himself starting eight out of the club's nine Premier League games and he has rewarded Martin Jol with three goals, already half his tally for the whole of last season.

His goals against Norwich, Manchester United and Wigan may have grabbed the headlines, but it is his all-round performances which have really enthused both the Fulham supporters, where he is now a real fans' favourite, and manager Martin Jol.

For a few years, Duff would possibly be the first to admit that he had failed to truly adapt to the loss of his once blistering pace that helped tear defences to pieces at both Blackburn and then Chelsea under Jose Mourinho, in tandem with Arjen Robben on the opposite flank. In those days, Duff's game would be very much based on beating the full-back and either going for goal or sending in a flashing, dangerous delivery.

As that explosiveness declined somewhat, Duff appeared unwilling to renegotiate, instead attempting to continue his movements in the same manner. However, towards the end of last season and certainly at the beginning of this, Duff has begun to appreciate the other sides of his game that he had hitherto ignored.

For instance, his intelligence both on and off the ball in terms of where to be - as shown by the way he has finished his chances this term - his already good technical ability which he has clearly honed to the extent that he is now comfortable on either foot, and his passing ability, which has now become calm and measured.

Of course, Duff is not completely devoid of speed and if needs be can muster the energy to run beyond players, but he has become intelligent in the way he uses what speed he has left. Gone are the blistering Duff runs after 10 minutes that had him tired out by the interval, replaced by a more measured approach that has aided his rejuvenation.

Duff will always lack the finesse that the likes of Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov possess, but in terms of his sheer commitment to the cause, allied to his mightily impressive ability, the Irishman will remain a vital part of Martin Jol's squad.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_17386_fulham-focus-the-rejuvenation-of-damien-duff.html

Kell

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 02, 2012, 04:03:32 PM

Fulham youngster Liam Donnelly has been named in the Northern Ireland Under-21 squad for a friendly against England on Tuesday 13th November.

Defender Donnelly will now be hoping to feature when Northern Ireland meet England at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road.

Donnelly, 16, is a recent addition to Fulham’s Under-18s squad after joining from IFA Premiership side Dungannon Swifts - where former Whites favourite Rodney McAree is first-team coach.

Elsewhere, Muamer Tankovic has been selected to attend a Sweden Under-19 training camp in Stockholm between Monday 12th to Thursday 15th November.

The future certainly looks bright

HatterDon

Quote from: Kell on November 02, 2012, 06:55:46 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on November 02, 2012, 04:03:32 PM

Defender Donnelly will now be hoping to feature when Northern Ireland meet England at Blackpool's Bloomfield Road.

Donnelly, 16, is a recent addition to Fulham's Under-18s squad after joining from IFA Premiership side Dungannon Swifts - where former Whites favourite Rodney McAree is first-team coach.

The future certainly looks bright

Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright
:beer:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel