more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (09/11/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 09, 2012, 06:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Late leveller sends Young Socceroos through

Young Socceroos coach Paul Okon had Corey Gameiro to thank as the substitute scored a stoppage-time equaliser against Saudi Arabia to send Australia through to the 2012 AFC U-19 Championship quarter-finals.

Australia was on the brink of elimination after Fhad Al Muwallad's 57th minute strike gave the Saudi's the lead before Gameiro, made it three goals from as many games at the tournament.

Gameiro was introduced to the fray on 65 minutes with the Aussies chasing a goal and he duly obliged after receiving Terri Antonis's lobbed pass and slotting home.

"Football always delivers dramatic finishes and tonight fortunately for us it went on our favour," Okon said after the match.

"We just required a draw from the match but Saudi Arabia scored a good goal and we had to chase the match."

Australia topped Group D with five points and will meet Group C runner-up Jordan on Sunday in the final eight - with a spot in the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup the reward for the winner and a spot in the AFC U-19 Championship semi-finals.

"I was quite worried earlier as the Saudis are a good physical side and we had a gruelling contest two days ago against Syria so I made a couple of changes keeping in mind the lethargic situation of our players," Okon added.

"It did not work and I had to make substitution and with the Australian attitude of never-say-die, we finally grabbed the match-saving point."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1127985/Late-leveller-sends-Young-Socceroos-through?

WhiteJC

Preview: Arsenal vs. Fulham

Fulham can go above Arsenal in the Premier League table on Saturday when they take on the Gunners at the Emirates Stadium.

The Cottagers are just one place behind their rivals on goal difference having put together an unbeaten run of four matches.

Arsenal will be keen to get back in the winning habit following last weekend's demoralising defeat to Manchester United as well as letting a two-goal lead slip in their midweek draw at Schalke in the Champions League.

Jack Wilshere will miss out for the hosts due to a one-game suspension, but Tomas Rosicky could be available after a spell on the sidelines with an Achilles injury.

Aaron Ramsey is expected to be ruled out as he recovers from a groin problem, while Fulham have no new injury concerns ahead of the match.

Recent form:

Arsenal: LLWWLD

Fulham: WLDWDD

Possible lineups:

Arsenal: Mannone; Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Santos; Arteta, Djourou; Walcott, Cazorla, Podolski; Giroud

Fulham: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Hughes; Riether, Duff, Diarra, Kacaniklic; Berbatov, Ruiz

Sports Mole says: 2-1

Read the full story on Sports Mole at: http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/preview/preview-arsenal-vs-fulham_53841.html

WhiteJC

Jol earns extra year on Fulham contract

The Fulham chairman, Mohamed al-Fayed, has taken up an option to extend Martin Jol's contract for another year. Jol initially signed a two-year deal at Craven Cottage in June 2011 and guided Fulham to ninth place in his first season. The former Tottenham Hotspur manager takes his side to the Emirates tomorrow level on points with opponents Arsenal.

Fayed wants the Dutchman to stay and Jol revealed yesterday an agreement has been reached. "There are no discussions to be had because Fulham have got an option," he said. "About a month ago [we decided]. I'm very happy with that."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jol-earns-extra-year-on-fulham-contract-8298506.html

WhiteJC

Etheridge eager to avoid more family criticism

ON-loan goalkeeper Neil Etheridge endured an almost silent journey back to London with one of his biggest critics on Tuesday night – but returned to training yesterday optimistic that things at Bristol Rovers are on the verge of changing for the better.

Fulham loanee Etheridge, pictured, was forced to pick the ball out of his net three times at the Memorial Stadium on Tuesday night in front of his dad and a group of friends who had made the trip across from London to watch the game

The goalkeeper has proved to be one of the manager's most astute signings since agreeing a deal to bring him in from Craven Cottage last month following some spectacular displays in the games since, but he said: "I set high standards for myself and when I don't reach them I'm not happy.

"I had a group of friends over to watch the game as well as my dad, who is one of my biggest critics. There is nobody that is a bigger critic than myself, so it was a pretty silent journey back to London on Tuesday night."

Etheridge, however, was back in Bristol for training yesterday morning with any disappointment put firmly behind him as Rovers began their preparations to try and end a four-game losing streak when they host Chesterfield tomorrow.

"It's always a bit difficult to be positive after a defeat because nobody likes to lose," Etheridge admitted. "We'll learn from what happened the other night and quickly switch our focus on to the Chesterfield game on Saturday.

"We need to work hard to move ourselves out of the bottom four, but, we've got a game in hand, so a couple of wins and we can get ourselves right back in it. It is important we stay positive because I can feel that a win is not too far away for us."

McGhee held an hour-long clear-the-air meeting with his players in the changing room after Tuesday night's defeat and Etheridge added: "What goes on in the changing room should always stay in there, really.

"What I can say is that all the boys and the manager were very upset with the result. We have to end this losing run, obviously, and three points on Saturday would be a massive help to us.

"I know we have what it takes within the squad to be getting better results. We just need to concentrate for every minute of every game. If we keep working hard results will turn and they will turn our way."

Etheridge was back in goal on Tuesday night after missing Saturday's FA Cup tie against Sheffield United after Fulham refused to grant permission for him to feature in the competition.

On-loan Chelsea stopper Sam Walker returned to the side as a result and was praised by McGhee for his performance on the back of a two-month absence.

"I was at the game Saturday because it is important to support the team 100 per cent whether you are able to play or not," said Etheridge.

"Sam is a great goalkeeper and played very well on Saturday, so I know that my position is never guaranteed. The manager needs results so I need to keep working hard like everybody else if I am to stay in the team. I've loved every minute of my time here so far. I'm getting a chance to learn my trade and to show people what I can do. I have a few games behind me and I already feel as though I have improved as a goalkeeper."

Etheridge, meanwhile, urged supporters to remain behind the team when they attempt to halt their recent run of poor form at the Memorial Stadium tomorrow.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/story-17274454-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol happy to stay at Craven Cottage

Martin Jol revealed Fulham had approached him to activate the clause in his contract that would see him stay at Craven Cottage until 2014.

The Dutchman confirmed he and the club held talks "a month ago or so" about extending his time in charge beyond the end of the season.

The former Tottenham boss joined Fulham in the summer of 2011 on a two-year contract with an option of a third year.

He led them to their second highest ever Barclays Premier League points total of 52 in his first year in charge as they finished ninth.

They are currently on course to better that and lay eighth ahead of Saturday's trip to Arsenal.

"I'm happy to stay," Jol added.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_martin_jol_happy_to_stay_at_craven_cottage_1_1687025

Boggers

Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend

2) Jol's cavaliers at the Emirates ...

There were fears when Fulham lost Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé in the summer that they might regress. They still could. But at the moment they are a delight to watch, with Dimitar Berbatov's giddiness a reflection of the have-a-go-hero philosophy at Craven Cottage. They are the third highest scorers in the Premier League – and, when you add the fifth worst defensive record to the mix, their 10 games have featured 37 goals. That said, they aren't happy travellers against the top teams. Last season they drew two and lost five against the top seven, and their record at Highbury/the Emirates since being promoted to the Premier League is P11 W0 D3 L8. They may well lose on Saturday but even so, it should be entertaining.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/09/premier-league-10-things-blog
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea