Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (17/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 17, 2010, 07:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=270030&cc=5739
Fulham  v  Wolverhampton Wanderers

Pantsil back for Fulham

John Pantsil will make his first appearance since December in Fulham's Barclays Premier League game against Wolves.
The defender has recovered from the cruciate knee ligament injury he picked up against Chelsea which had threatened to end his season.

David Elm is still struggling to recover from a virus while Clint Dempsey (thigh) and Andy Johnson (knee) remain sidelined.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson admits he will go into the clash against Wolves with dreams of European glory in the back of his mind.

The Cottagers passed the 40-point mark with a 2-1 victory over Wigan a fortnight ago, while Wolves' recent good form has seen them move six points clear of the drop zone with four matches remaining.

He said: "It would be nice to say that I have only thought about Wolves and that we haven't thought about Hamburg, but if I said that it wouldn't be accepted because anybody in their right minds would know that the semi-final of a Europa League is a massive occasion for any club, let alone a club like Fulham.

"As a club we haven't had any European experience so of course we have it in the back of our minds.

"There were several hundred teams who entered the Europa League at the start of the campaign and we are happy to be one of the final four.

"We realise that we are in touching distance of such a major trophy and I'm sure that the two matches we play we will give our utmost to get there.''

As well as reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League, the Cottagers made the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and also look set to finish in the top half of the Premier League table.

Hodgson has deservedly earned many plaudits for his efforts, especially given a transfer budget that was tiny in comparison to most top flight sides.

He admits he would like the money to sign one or two players this summer in order to avoid the chaos that hit his side in February, when injuries to several key players decimated his side.

"We have no deals lined up at the moment,'' the 62-year-old said. "But it's something that our scouts work on daily. They work their socks off trying to find names and suggest players.

"I do think that we could do with that little bit more help with one or two more players in there to make certain that we keep competition for players high, and also so that when we do lose players through injury, like we have done this season, we have the kind of players that are as competent and talented as the ones we have lost.''

Wolves will again be without skipper Karl Henry who will have to serve the second game of a three-match ban for his red card against Arsenal a fortnight ago.

Dave Edwards could again deputise as Wolves look to build on a run of nine points from the last six games which has moved them six points clear of the bottom three.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has no fresh injury worries following the goalless home draw with Stoke last weekend.

McCarthy insists he never lost faith in Wolves' ability to survive and believes his players have become "more streetwise.''

Wolves are on the verge of securing another season in the top flight but it was a different story in late November when Wolves were beaten at home by Birmingham after an inept display and dropped to second from bottom.

But McCarthy never pressed the panic button and remained calm in the knowledge his players were good enough to finish outside of the relegation places.

McCarthy said: "It's amazing how many happy faces there are around because we are six points clear of the bottom three at this moment.

"But when we were in the bottom three did you detect any anxiety from me? I don't think so. I tried to stay calm and said `let's see how many points we end up with.'

"When we lost to Birmingham at home, I was still full of belief and convinced we'd get the points to stay up.

"I didn't like certain comments I heard about us that were floating around, that we just work hard and run about, as if that is what you get from teams who are promoted.

"I would like to think that what people think of us is slightly different in that we do pass the ball around and do more than compete.

"If you allow outside influences to affect your thinking, than you will suffer but within these walls there was a calm and self confidence that we can stay in this league - although we have still got work to do."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195490
Fulham - A Fresh Scharner Bid?
The Wigan midfielder, Paul Scharner, has on several occasions been linked with a move to Fulham.

His versatility and adaptability make him a viable acquisition as he is able to slot into central defence or play a role in midfield.

Any previous enquires for the Austrian international have floundered, however, there is a suspicion that a move this summer could prove to be successful.

We understand that the relationship between Scharner and his club isn`t all that it could be and after being substituted, against Portsmouth, in midweek, Scharner stormed straight up the tunnel.

Could this be the summer we finally get our man or has time diminished (Sir) Roy`s interest with the boss perhaps having set his sights on someone else this summer?

I guess only time will tell!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195490#ixzz0lKyCkjAr

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/premierleague/previews/fulham-v-wolverhampton-162133961.html
Fulham v Wolverhampton

Pantsil back for Fulham

John Pantsil will make his first appearance since December in Fulham's Barclays Premier League game against Wolves.

The defender has recovered from the cruciate knee ligament injury he picked up against Chelsea which had threatened to end his season.

David Elm is still struggling to recover from a virus while Clint Dempsey (thigh) and Andy Johnson (knee) remain sidelined.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson admits he will go into the clash against Wolves with dreams of European glory in the back of his mind.

The Cottagers passed the 40-point mark with a 2-1 victory over Wigan a fortnight ago, while Wolves' recent good form has seen them move six points clear of the drop zone with four matches remaining.

He said: "It would be nice to say that I have only thought about Wolves and that we haven't thought about Hamburg, but if I said that it wouldn't be accepted because anybody in their right minds would know that the semi-final of a Europa League is a massive occasion for any club, let alone a club like Fulham.

"As a club we haven't had any European experience so of course we have it in the back of our minds.

"There were several hundred teams who entered the Europa League at the start of the campaign and we are happy to be one of the final four.

"We realise that we are in touching distance of such a major trophy and I'm sure that the two matches we play we will give our utmost to get there."

As well as reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League, the Cottagers made the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and also look set to finish in the top half of the Premier League table.

Hodgson has deservedly earned many plaudits for his efforts, especially given a transfer budget that was tiny in comparison to most top flight sides.

He admits he would like the money to sign one or two players this summer in order to avoid the chaos that hit his side in February, when injuries to several key players decimated his side.

"We have no deals lined up at the moment," the 62-year-old said. "But it's something that our scouts work on daily. They work their socks off trying to find names and suggest players.

"I do think that we could do with that little bit more help with one or two more players in there to make certain that we keep competition for players high, and also so that when we do lose players through injury, like we have done this season, we have the kind of players that are as competent and talented as the ones we have lost."

Wolves will again be without skipper Karl Henry who will have to serve the second game of a three-match ban for his red card against Arsenal a fortnight ago.

Dave Edwards could again deputise as Wolves look to build on a run of nine points from the last six games which has moved them six points clear of the bottom three.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has no fresh injury worries following the goalless home draw with Stoke last weekend.

McCarthy insists he never lost faith in Wolves' ability to survive and believes his players have become "more streetwise."

Wolves are on the verge of securing another season in the top flight but it was a different story in late November when Wolves were beaten at home by Birmingham after an inept display and dropped to second from bottom.

But McCarthy never pressed the panic button and remained calm in the knowledge his players were good enough to finish outside of the relegation places.

McCarthy said: "It's amazing how many happy faces there are around because we are six points clear of the bottom three at this moment.

"But when we were in the bottom three did you detect any anxiety from me? I don't think so. I tried to stay calm and said `let's see how many points we end up with.'

"When we lost to Birmingham at home, I was still full of belief and convinced we'd get the points to stay up.

"I didn't like certain comments I heard about us that were floating around, that we just work hard and run about, as if that is what you get from teams who are promoted.

"I would like to think that what people think of us is slightly different in that we do pass the ball around and do more than compete.

"If you allow outside influences to affect your thinking, than you will suffer but within these walls there was a calm and self confidence that we can stay in this league - although we have still got work to do."

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1194970.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Hodgson distracted by Europa dreams

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson admits he will go into tomorrow's English Premier League clash against Wolves with dreams of European glory in the back of his mind.

Fulham take on Mick McCarthy's men at Craven Cottage tomorrow in what is effectively a dead rubber for both sides. The Cottagers passed the 40-point mark with a 2-1 victory over Wigan a fortnight ago, while Wolves' recent good form has seen them move six points clear of the drop zone with four matches remaining.

Hodgson's team will depart for Germany next week hoping to add Hamburg to the impressive list of scalps which has seen them reach the semi-finals of the UEFA Europa League.

As a club we haven't had any European experience so of course we have it in the back of our minds.Fulham boss Hodgson before the weekend meeting with Wolves

With Fulham's trophy cabinet currently bereft of any major silverware, Hodgson concedes that he is struggling to focus on the task of gaining three more Premier League points. "It would be nice to say that I have only thought about Wolves and that we haven't thought about Hamburg, but if I said that it wouldn't be accepted because anybody in their right minds would know that the semi-final of a Europa League is a massive occasion for any club, let alone a club like Fulham," the coach said.

"As a club we haven't had any European experience so of course we have it in the back of our minds," he went on. "There were several hundred teams who entered the Europa League at the start of the campaign and we are happy to be one of the final four. We realise that we are in touching distance of such a major trophy and I'm sure that the two matches we play we will give our utmost to get there."

Cottage hero
Hodgson has deservedly earned many plaudits for his efforts, especially given a transfer budget that was tiny in comparison to most top flight sides. He admits he would like the money to sign one or two players this summer in order to avoid the chaos that hit his side in February, when injuries to several key players decimated his side.

"We have no deals lined up at the moment," the 62-year-old said. "But it's something that our scouts work on daily. They work their socks off trying to find names and suggest players. I do think that we could do with that little bit more help with one or two more players in there to make certain that we keep competition for players high, and also so that when we do lose players through injury, like we have done this season, we have the kind of players that are as competent and talented as the ones we have lost."

Hodgson will be without Andy Johnson (knee) and Clint Dempsey (thigh) tomorrow, although he is confident that Dempsey will be fit for Thursday's game in Hamburg. John Pantsil is also available after overcoming a knee injury which has sidelined him since December.

Hodgson is expecting a tough test from Mick McCarthy's side, who have defied their critics to move away from the relegation zone. "Mick McCarthy has done an excellent job there," he said. "He has organised his team very well, they play well for each other and in Kevin Doyle they have found a centre forward who has worked hard and has scored plenty of goals."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/WolvesTeamNews.aspx
Wolves Team News

Roy Hodgson goes into Saturday's Barclays Premier League encounter against Wolves at Craven Cottage with a healthy complement of players from which to select.

"We've recovered a lot of players, it's just Andy Johnson and Clint Dempsey that we are waiting on," the Manager said during Friday's pre-match press conference. "As you know, Andy Johnson won't play until next season but we're hoping Clint will recover in time for next Thursday's game in Hamburg. Unfortunately, this match against Wolves has come just a little bit too quickly for him.

"John Pantsil is fully fit. He's played two Reserve Team games, he's been training with the First Team for ten days and he's ready for selection. He's a great one to have back, there's no question about that."

Mick McCarthy's side come to the Cottage looking to put more distance between themselves and the teams at the foot of the table - and Hodgson is expecting a challenging game.

"The Wolves team deserve a lot of credit for the way they've played as a team - and their manager, Mick McCarthy, deserves a lot of credit for the way he's got his team playing. The way they get their results is through hard work, good team play and good organisation.

"We've got to make certain that if we're going to get a result, we need to be firing on all cylinders. If we have our minds partially on the game on Thursday and players are not actually playing the game as we normally do, then there's every risk that we'll lose the game.

"The good thing is that for the first time since January we've had a whole week to prepare. That's been very useful for us to get players fully fit and also to give them that necessary breathing space that players need from time to time.

"I think the players will be fully focused and committed on Saturday, and then we've still got four days before we play Hamburg."

.Return to Top  Discuss Email to Friend Print ..|Subscribe to News Feed|
Fri 16th Apr 2010
Inside Fulham Podcast
Wolves Team News
Wolves Programme Preview
Europa Road Trip
Hamburg Away Tickets
Thu 15th Apr 2010
Reserves 1-0 Portsmouth
Season Ticket Drop Off
Hughes' Top Ten Target
Fulham's Loan Stars
Hamburg Ticketing Update
Barclays Premier League Fair Play Latest
Reserves Face Portsmouth
Hamburg Official Travel Update
Hamburg Screening
Tue 13th Apr 2010
Pantsil's Cheer Coming Home
..   Contacts Us Directions Sitemap Help © Fulham Football Club  2010 Terms & Conditions Privacy  ..

.Bookmark & ShareXSelect from these web-based feed readers:
AOLBloglinesGoogle ReaderMy MSNNetvibesNewsisfreePageflakesTechnoratiYahooNo matching services..netShoutout100zakladok2linkmeA1‑WebmarksAdifniAeroAIM ShareAmazonAmen Me!AOL MailArtoAskAviary CaptureBaangBaiduBeboBit.lyBizSugarBleetboxBlinklistBlipBloggerBloggyBlogmarksBlurpaliciousBobrdobrBonzoBoxBookmarkingNetBookmarky.czBordomBox.netBrainifyBryderi.seBuddyMarksCamyooCare2CiripCiteULikeClassicalPlaceClickazooCndigColivia.deConnoteaCOSMiQDeliciousDesignBumpDesignmooDiggDiggitaDiglogDigoDiigoDipdiveDoMelhorDoowerDostiDotNetKicksDrimioDropjackDzoneEdelighteKudoselefanta.pleLert GadgetEmailEmail AppEmbarkonseuCliqueiEvernoteextraplayEzySpotFabulously40FacebookFarkFarkindaFAVableFavesfavlogFavoritesFavoritusFlakerFloss.proFnewsFolkdfooxwebforceindyaFresquiFriendFeedFriendsterfunPfwispGabbrGacetillaGamekickerGamesNGiveALinkGlobalGrindGluvSnapGmailGoogleGoogle BuzzGoogle ReaderGraveeGreaterDebaterGrono.netGrumperHaber.gen.trHacker NewsHadash HotHatenaHazarkorHedgehogsHelloTxtHEMiDEMiHipstrHitmarksHot BookmarkHotklixHotmailHOTweb.ltHTML ValidatorHyvesIdenti.caiGoogleihavegotInformazioneInstapaperInvestorLinksiSocietyiWiWJamespotJiskoJumptagsKaboodleKaevurKiRTSYKledykoornkKudosLaaikitLadenzeileLibrerioLink NinjaLink-a-GogoLinkedInLinkSharesLinkuj.czLiveLivefavorisLiveJournalLynkiMawindoMecchomeinVZMemori.ruMenéameMindbodygreenMister WongMixxMoemesto.ruMultiplymyAOLMylinkvaultMySpaceN4GNetLogNetvibesNetvouzNewsTrustNewsvineNujijOKNOtizieOneviewOrkutOsmosusOyylaPDF OnlinePhoneFavsPimpThisBlogPing.fmPlanypusPlaxoPlurkPolladiumPopEditionPosteezyPosterousPrati.baPrintPrintFriendlyPropellerPushaQuantcastRead It LaterRedditScoop.atSegnaloSekomanShavehShe Told MeSimpySlashdotSmak NewsSMISodaHeadSonicoSpeedtileSphinnSpoken To YousportpostspringpadSpruzerSquidooStartaidStartlapStoryFollowerStrandsstudiVZStuffpitStumbleUponStumpediaStylehiveSurfpeopleSvejoSymbalooTagvnTagzaTechnoratiTellMyPoliticianThisNextTip'dTransferrTranslateTulinqTumblrTusulTweetMemeTwitterTypepadViadeoVirbVisitezMonSiteVyoomWebnewsWhois LookupWindy CitizenWireFanWordPressWorioWovreWykopXangaY! BookmarksY! BuzzY! MailYammerYardbarkerYazzemYiggYoolinkYorumcuyumYoubookmarksYouMobZooLooDoneMessage sent! Share again. AddThis for Internet ExplorerMake sharing easier with AddThis for Internet Explorer. Download

Don't show theseTo: (email address) From: (email address)Note: (optional) 255 character limitMore:Get the AddThis ToolbarPrivacyAddThisBookmark & ShareXMake sharing easier with AddThis for Internet Explorer.
Don't show these

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/WolvesTeamNews.aspx#ixzz0lKzzkysv

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6097506,00.html
Hodgson admits Euro priority
Fulham boss has one eye on Hamburg ahead of Wolves game

Roy Hodgson has confessed Fulham's European dream will be a distraction for the game against Wolves.

Wanderers striker Kevin Doyle has spoken of his hope that the Cottagers, who continue their quest to reach the final of the Europa League next Thursday, would treat Saturday's clash as a dead-rubber having already ensured their top-flight status.

And Hodgson admits his side will have their semi-final first leg against Hamburg in the back of their mind when they host survival-chasing Wolves this weekend.

"We realise that we are in touching distance of such a major trophy and I'm sure that the two matches we play we will give our utmost to get there."

As well as reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League, the Cottagers made the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and also look set to finish in the top half of the Premier League.

"We have no deals lined up at the moment," the 62-year-old said. "But it's something that our scouts work on daily. They work their socks off trying to find names and suggest players.

"I do think that we could do with that little bit more help with one or two more players in there to make certain that we keep competition for players high, and also so that when we do lose players through injury, like we have done this season, we have the kind of players that are as competent and talented as the ones we have lost."

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-wolverhampton-wanderers-sat-17-apr-2010
Fulham Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat 17 Apr 2010
Fulham Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers: Match Preview

McCarthy insists he never lost faith in Wolves' ability to survive and believes his players have become "more streetwise."

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/premier-league-football-news/2010/04/16/fulham-boss-admits-europe-is-becoming-a-distraction-97319-26260077/
Fulham boss admits Europe is becoming a distraction

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson admits he will go into tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash against Wolves with dreams of European glory in the back of his mind.

Fulham take on Mick McCarthy's men at Craven Cottage tomorrow in what is effectively a dead rubber for both sides.

Hodgson's team will depart for Germany next week hoping to add Hamburg to the impressive list of scalps which has seen them reach the semi-finals of the Europa League.

With Fulham's trophy cabinet currently bereft of any major silverware, Hodgson concedes that he is struggling to focus on the task of gaining three more Premier League points.

Hodgson will be without Andy Johnson (knee) and Clint Dempsey (thigh) tomorrow, although he is confident that Dempsey will be fit for Thursday's game in Hamburg.

John Pantsil is also available after overcoming a knee injury which has sidelined him since December.

Hodgson is expecting a tough test from Mick McCarthy's side, who have defied their critics to move away from the relegation zone.

"Mick McCarthy has done an excellent job there," he said. "He has organised his team very well, they play well for each other and in Kevin Doyle they have found a centre forward who has worked hard and has scored plenty of goals."

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6097456,00.html
HODGSON DISTRACTED BY EUROPEAN DREAMS

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson admits he will go into the Barclays Premier League clash against Wolves with dreams of European glory in the back of his mind.

Fulham take on Mick McCarthy's men at Craven Cottage in what is effectively a dead rubber for both sides.

Hodgson's team will depart for Germany next week hoping to add Hamburg to the impressive list of scalps which has seen them reach the semi-finals of the Europa League.

With Fulham's trophy cabinet currently bereft of any major silverware, Hodgson concedes that he is struggling to focus on the task of gaining three more Premier League points.

Hodgson will be without Andy Johnson (knee) and Clint Dempsey (thigh), although he is confident that Dempsey will be fit for Thursday's game in Hamburg.

John Pantsil is also available after overcoming a knee injury which has sidelined him since December.

Hodgson is expecting a tough test from Mick McCarthy's side, who have defied their critics to move away from the relegation zone.

"Mick McCarthy has done an excellent job there," he said. "He has organised his team very well, they play well for each other and in Kevin Doyle they have found a centre forward who has worked hard and has scored plenty of goals."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/04/16/1881746/kevin-doyle-challenges-wolverhampton-wanderers-to-emulate
Kevin Doyle challenges Wolverhampton Wanderers to emulate Fulham's Premier League achievements
Irish striker wants Midlands side to establish themselves in the top-flight

Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Kevin Doyle has challenged his teammates to "do a Fulham" and establish themselves as a fixture in the Premier League.

Wolves visit Craven Cottage tomorrow to take on the Europa League semi-finalists, aiming for a win that would all but clinch safety, and the Irish striker believes that his club have the potential to be in a similar position to Fulham – provided they can retain their Premier League status this season.

Fulham were promoted to the Premier League in 2001 and have become one of the staple teams, now challenging for Europe.

"Fulham's ground only holds 25,000 and they don't spend massive money, so they've proved it's possible to compete at this level," Doyle told reporters.

"They're not in the top six or seven this season but they've done very well in Europe, they're safe in mid-table – they may finish above that – and they had a good run in the FA Cup.

"So if we can stay in the Premier League and establish ourselves, we can look to build like they have since they have come up, nine, 10 years ago."

And Doyle, who has become a firm fans favourite at Molineux since his club record transfer in the summer, is hoping Wolves compete for bigger signings come summer, provided they remain a Premier League side.

"It's just a case of finishing this season strongly and I'm sure we'll strengthen in the summer and we'll go again next season," continued the Irishman.

"Every season we're at this level we'll be able to attract bigger players and maybe go on to better things."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6976
Up next: Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)
by Dan on April 16, 2010

Who's afraid of the big, bad Wolves? If you'd have asked the question in mid-July, plenty of people would have smirked and suggested, 'Not many'. The pundits, who predicted that Wolves would be heading straight back to the Championship, are pretty quiet about Mick McCarthy's astute management, something which was severly questioned in the wake of the Old Trafford selection furore.

Roy Hodgson's been pretty open about having other things on his mind ahead of tomorrow's game. There's something refreshing about the Fulham manager's endearing honesty but the laissez-faire attitude to the end of our league campaign could produce very different results: a) tweaked teams could struggle to much the punch of Roy's regular first eleven or b) the players could be liberated by the lack of pressure and push on towards the top half, as Aaron Hughes was intimating the other day.

Fulham will certainly do well to treat this game against a well-drilled Wolves side as seriously as Thursday's semi-final first leg in Germany. Hodgson fielded a second string side for the first Europa League group game in Sofia that seems an age ago with the express purpose of delivering a performance at Moulineux. Best laid plains and all that: the Whites were abject and only began to play anything like the football they are capable of in the final twenty minutes.

McCarthy's men have learned the art of Premier League the hard way with Wolves fans well-accustomed to being one of those sides that never quite cements a place in the top flight. The manager's had to be flexible with his formations (never mind his selection) and you sense McCarthy, whose straight-talking should endear him to those bored of the pointless platitudes pulled out in front of the media, has grown as well during the campaign. How McCarthy plays it at the Cottage will be interesting: he'll surely not go for a win for the outset, knowing that a more conservative approach might yield a precious point or even three, should his side be successful on the counter-attack.

Michael Mancienne will probably anchor the Wolves midfield with the hard-working Kevin Doyle, who reportedly spurned Fulham's advances to join Wolves in the summer, bidding to add to his seven league goals. With skipper Carl Henry still suspended, Dave Edwards, who made his first start in three months against Stoke last weekend, will probably partner the quietly impressive David Jones in the middle of the park.

Hodgson's selection will obviously have an eye on Thursday, but the intriguing possibility of a return to first-team action for John Pantsil looks the most eye-catching change. The right back, missing since he clattered into the Stamford Bridge advertising hoardings at Christmas, is ineligible for our remaining Europa League fixtures and might just see the close of our domestic campaign as an ideal way to build up match sharpness ahead of the World Cup.

Nicky Shorey could get a game on the other side of the defence with Chris Smalling coming in for Brede Hangeland. Simon Davies, still nursing the rib damaged in our Wolfsburg win, will probably sit this one out, which could allow Bjorn-Helge Riise an opportunity to roam from the right. Etuhu and Murphy is clearly the preferred permutation in the centre, but resting both might be a step too far. The Gera/Zamora axis has served us so well that you might not want to break it up, even if Stefano Okaka probably does deserve a bit more playing time.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Shorey, Hughes, Smalling; Etuhu, Murphy, Riise, Duff; Gera; Zamora. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Kelly, Dikgacoi, Greening, Okaka, Nevland.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1266622/Fulham-set-win-race-Portsmouth-4m-defender-Marc-Wilson.html?ITO=1490
Fulham set to win race for Portsmouth £4m defender Marc Wilson

Fulham look ready to head off competition from Newcastle and Sunderland for Portsmouth defender Marc Wilson.

The 22-year-old has been impressive in a season of crisis and earned a call up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

Sunderland were poised with a £3m offer in January and Newcastle have earmarked him as a target for the summer but Fulham want to step in with a £4m bid and the player is keen to join up with Roy Hodgson.

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/169760/Wolves-wanted-Bobby-Zamora-
WOLVES 'WANTED BOBBY ZAMORA'

ZAMORA: McCarthy made enquiries
Saturday April 17,2010
By John Wragg

BOBBY Zamora could have been fighting relegation with Wolves this season rather than heading towards a Europa League final and possibly the World Cup.

Manager Mick McCarthy revealed he had tried to sign Zamora last summer when Wolves were promoted from the Championship.

Now McCarthy has to try to stop Zamora scoring today as Wolves continue their search for Premier League safety.

"How many goals has Zamora scored? Nineteen? I have always thought he was an accomplished Premier League player," said McCarthy, whose side are very short of goals.

"Zamora has played most of his career in the Premier League and you don't stay in it unless you are good enough to be there. Not many have scored that many goals.

"I asked about Zamora in the summer but they wanted to keep him."

Wolves have not scored for three games, while Zamora has been rattling them in, as Fulham have enjoyed an outstanding season and are looking forward to the semi-finals of the Europa League next Thursday.

Zamora's goals have brought him to the attention of England manager Fabio Capello and he has an outside chance of being picked for the World Cup.

McCarthy said he had no idea what team Fulham would pick against Wolves with their European game against Hamburg coming up. But he says Roy Hodgson could be manager of the year.

"We were in Australia with Fulham in the pre-season and they are trying to manage expectations on all fronts now," said McCarthy. "They have played an outrageous number of games and have got results in the league and in Europe. Roy Hodgson will be a candidate for manager of the year and Alex McLeish at Birmingham.

"Hodgson has had a really good time at Fulham. He has good players and has a way of playing that gets the best out of them."

Wolves, who have only lost one of their past six games to climb clear of relegation, face Blackburn, Portsmouth and Sunderland after today's journey to London.

"There are a few clubs who would swap with us," said McCarthy. "But we're still near the bottom and could go down. We must make sure we finish out of the bottom three.

"There are some strange results at this time of year. Some might say us getting nine points out of 18 is strange, so we have to be careful because somebody else could do the same."