watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Summer business catching up on Jol

Started by Matt, December 06, 2012, 12:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWFL

He's not going to come out and say we have loads of money to spend and we are desperate to buy players, as clubs will just rack up the prices for us. Give the guy a break.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BillNRoc on December 07, 2012, 05:44:20 PM
He's (implicitly) telling Fulham fans to get ready for Championship football in 2013-14, or to cheer him as a savior if FFC manages to avoid the drop with the generally sorry lot he's assembled. Poor Berbatov must feel like he's living an episode of Twilight Zone.

Really? Look at what he's spent and who he's brought in. He's worked miracles on that budget. Kasami is his the one blot on his record, and Ruiz hasn't been able to influence us because of injuries.
If you're looking for someone to blame blame the board for not giving him the money and for not signing more of his targets.

BishopsParkFantastic

mccscratch

I think he is saying the right things... I am certain the club will be looking at creative central midfield players... and he is right in saying that January is not a good time to buy... because it isn't...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

CH FFC

Sometimes January can be a "good" time, when someone is going out of contract in the summer.  Yah you may be spending money that you wouldn't have to in a few months, but probably much less if that same guy is already tied to a 3 year contract. 
A few of the supposed targets have contracts coming to an end.
It just depends on the club, and their financial situation.  Is there anyone at ManU that is surplus and we could afford their wage?
We have done good business with them over recent years!  :54:

BillNRoc

Look at what he's spent and who he's brought in....OK, let's.

Berbatov a steal, Riether very good but this year only, Ruiz shows great promise but plays only 60% of the time.

Then there's Rodallega, Petric, Richardson - haven't seen much positive impact there. Diarra and the Greek, football geezers whose careers/health are clearly on downward paths.

Meanwhile, we've a thin squad with no one demonstrating capacity to play at Berba's level when Ruiz is out (nearly half the time), limited cover for the back line, limited creativity in midfield - that's Jol's team, and right now it's not good at all. And he's telling us it's not likely to get better....

FFCByTheRiver

GUYS, GUYS, WE AT FULHAM HAVE TONS OF CASH AND WE NEED YOUR CMs AND CBs AT WHATEVER COST BECAUSE THE FANS NEED IT!

Is the opposite of what he's done. Is the opposite of what any manager worth his salt (except maybe Mourinho) has ever and will always do before the January window. Nothing to see here.

Burt

Never have much expectations in the transfer window as we are not a major mover and shaker. We will lose our better players and young ones with potential to the bigger clubs, and have the occasional coup, but for the most part it tends to even out, supplemented by some good talent coming up from the reserves.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: cottage cheese on December 07, 2012, 05:45:02 PM
or the opposite to saying we have loads of cash, clubs will just rake up the price. Clever move more like

Are other clubs that gullible? They know how much the club banked in the summer.

CH FFC

Quote from: BillNRoc on December 07, 2012, 07:23:21 PM

Berbatov a steal, Riether very good but this year only, Ruiz shows great promise but plays only 60% of the time.

Then there's Rodallega, Petric, Richardson - haven't seen much positive impact there. Diarra and the Greek, football geezers whose careers/health are clearly on downward paths.

Meanwhile, we've a thin squad with no one demonstrating capacity to play at Berba's level when Ruiz is out (nearly half the time), limited cover for the back line, limited creativity in midfield - that's Jol's team, and right now it's not good at all. And he's telling us it's not likely to get better....

Seriously?
Diarra and Karagounis are definitely aged veterans, but they still have a bit to offer.  Please do not forget that they were both frees!

Kieran Richardson is a tested verstile player, and perhaps he has not won over everyone yet....he is no less skilled this year than he was for the past 6 years.

Petric....really?
Another good signing, who has demonstrated his touch, and finishing ability!

Rodallega is a good player....I hope he can fit in and shine, but I have not seen this yet.  Only small glimpses.

You forgot some!
How many quality youth players has he brought in?
Pogrebnyak was a good loan signing for us....I feel we got what we could from him!

Look at who has come in, and then look at the amount of money spent.  He has done a marvelous job with little to work with, if you want to get upset with someone get upset with the backroom that does the wheeling and dealing on his targets.  I know he has not been able to bring any many, many of his targets....is that his fault?
Perhaps there needs to be a change behind the scenes

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Burt on December 07, 2012, 07:33:50 PM
Never have much expectations in the transfer window as we are not a major mover and shaker. We will lose our better players and young ones with potential to the bigger clubs, and have the occasional coup, but for the most part it tends to even out, supplemented by some good talent coming up from the reserves.

I think many of us had hoped the talent in the youth set up would be showing up for first team duty by now but with such a stop, start season that is becoming more and more unlikely. I suspect the newer members of the old guard will stay put through January, why would'nt they see things out until summer, but the key for me will be in which direction will the swing doors be going the most. It will only take two or three from the meagre first team squad to go and we will be real bother. Hangers still has'nt set minds at rest, although I would not have picked him over recent games if we had a suitable option, and at least one player in the eighteen man squad must be looking at a last hurrah! I would start to get really miffed if even a small procession of the young guns started going out of the door.
A radical point discussed in a secret location recently was the option of dropping Berbatov and rebuilding a team of work horses as with the current rabble he simply cannot be the goal scorer he was intended to be. That caused a bit of a flap. ................. might be right though.

ouch

Bassey the warrior

We have the option to sign Riether permanently, Karagounis and Diarra cost zilch and have definitely added something to the squad. Petric has 4 goals and one assist in 10 games, most of which he didn't start, he was also free. Rodallega has yet to make much of an impact but it hasn't helped that he's had to play out of position due to injuries. Richardson hasn't really got going yet due to injuries, he's very versatile though which is useful.

Ruiz picked up most of his injuries whilst playing for Costa Rica so that's just bad luck.

Jol has shown himself to be very shrewd in the transfer market so far. Kasami is the only blot on his record. If we're going to improve the standard of players Jol will need money to spend, he had to sell to buy the last window.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ScalleysDad on December 07, 2012, 08:29:04 PM

I think many of us had hoped the talent in the youth set up would be showing up for first team duty by now but with such a stop, start season that is becoming more and more unlikely. I suspect the newer members of the old guard will stay put through January, why would'nt they see things out until summer, but the key for me will be in which direction will the swing doors be going the most. It will only take two or three from the meagre first team squad to go and we will be real bother. Hangers still has'nt set minds at rest, although I would not have picked him over recent games if we had a suitable option, and at least one player in the eighteen man squad must be looking at a last hurrah! I would start to get really miffed if even a small procession of the young guns started going out of the door.
A radical point discussed in a secret location recently was the option of dropping Berbatov and rebuilding a team of work horses as with the current rabble he simply cannot be the goal scorer he was intended to be. That caused a bit of a flap. ................. might be right though.

ouch

He's the most creative player we have with Ruiz absent so that makes no sense.

Count Berbatov

sounds to me like he wants to give the current players a chance. I expect no signings in Jan
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

ScalleysDad

Quote from: The Moose on December 07, 2012, 08:38:47 PM

ouch

Break it down and it does. Berbatov is three seconds, three paces or simply miles ahead of anybody else in our current squad and quite often the cute pass, the clever flick or the searching ball has landed before the recipient has put 2 + 2 together. The much heralded pairing with Ruiz has not had a chance to really impose itself and possibly won't get an opportunity to develop if its true that it will be February before Ruiz might or might not be fit post international duty. That makes the Berbatov role almost redundant unless we go for yet another line up, he plays No9 and he is spoon fed the ball in the opposition box. Thats dependant then on a creative midfield which has to be purchased. Not likely we now hear .............. and so we go full circle to a workmanlike team to secure mid table.
It is of course all hypothetical but as part of a discussion over a beer nobody went into hysterics.  

FFCfan

I think we will sign CM during January, and it looks like maybe D. Boateng as negotiations are ongoing! And as usual people tend to be all doom and gloom after some bad displays.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: CH FFC on December 07, 2012, 07:42:41 PM

Seriously?
Diarra and Karagounis are definitely aged veterans, but they still have a bit to offer.  Please do not forget that they were both frees!

Kieran Richardson is a tested verstile player, and perhaps he has not won over everyone yet....he is no less skilled this year than he was for the past 6 years.

Petric....really?
Another good signing, who has demonstrated his touch, and finishing ability!

Rodallega is a good player....I hope he can fit in and shine, but I have not seen this yet.  Only small glimpses.

You forgot some!
How many quality youth players has he brought in?
Pogrebnyak was a good loan signing for us....I feel we got what we could from him!

Look at who has come in, and then look at the amount of money spent.  He has done a marvelous job with little to work with, if you want to get upset with someone get upset with the backroom that does the wheeling and dealing on his targets.  I know he has not been able to bring any many, many of his targets....is that his fault?
Perhaps there needs to be a change behind the scenes
I'm so glad you posted this response CH FFC, as I was about to reply and it would not be as well written, reasoned and calm. You are spot on and inoffensive with it! I cannot fathom out why some are totally anti Jol when you look at some that led (attempted) the Whites! As you have stated - look higher than Jol for the availability of funds!!

JackyFulham90

Jol is very good in the transfer market and think he will bring in some top players in January

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ScalleysDad on December 07, 2012, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: The Moose on December 07, 2012, 08:38:47 PM

ouch

Break it down and it does. Berbatov is three seconds, three paces or simply miles ahead of anybody else in our current squad and quite often the cute pass, the clever flick or the searching ball has landed before the recipient has put 2 + 2 together. The much heralded pairing with Ruiz has not had a chance to really impose itself and possibly won't get an opportunity to develop if its true that it will be February before Ruiz might or might not be fit post international duty. That makes the Berbatov role almost redundant unless we go for yet another line up, he plays No9 and he is spoon fed the ball in the opposition box. Thats dependant then on a creative midfield which has to be purchased. Not likely we now hear .............. and so we go full circle to a workmanlike team to secure mid table.
It is of course all hypothetical but as part of a discussion over a beer nobody went into hysterics. 

That's why he's being playing deeper and very effectively too. He's been our best player for every game Ruiz has been missing. He keeps possession well, and creates chances. I vehemently disagree with dropping him.

Lighthouse

I doubt Jol will hang around if the club keep on falling short in the transfer market. Jol has already stated before he wants to be more recognised for his success in the press. But if all he has at his disposal are old men he isn't going to hang around. When he leaves he will state the club fell short in their promises as he moves on to Norwich City or the like.

Jol and his tactics are a mystery at times but he has done a good job in keeping us around in the top half until now. The lack of funds and selling our best players are nothing to do with him. He clearly stated what he wanted in the last window. The club failed horribly. Looks as if he is making sure people know this time that the club are not spending and the gamble is we may not need to spend next season if our form doesn't improve.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope