watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are we not in the NextGen series?

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, December 12, 2012, 04:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

I'm off to the EBB Stadium to see Chelsea's U18's go up against their Ajax counterparts, this got me thinking, how do you qualify for the NextGen series?

Apparently it's by invitation only, but surely as the reigning Premier League academy champions, we should be able to compete.

Anybody know anything else about this?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

elgreenio

we've got a tiny pool of players compared to the rest of the teams competing. Add to that the logistical nightmares of getting to and from places then having to play on a Saturday morning domestically, makes it borderline as to whether it would actually be of any benefit
touch my camera through the fence

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: elgreenio on December 12, 2012, 05:01:33 PM
we've got a tiny pool of players compared to the rest of the teams competing. Add to that the logistical nightmares of getting to and from places then having to play on a Saturday morning domestically, makes it borderline as to whether it would actually be of any benefit

The benefit being that we produce players that are of a good enough quality to replace the first teamers in a couple of years and becoming the face of the club for years to come.

Although if it is strictly a financial thing, then I understand where you're coming from

CH FFC

I think that Jol has mentioned this, as part of his plan for building the youth at FFC.
Perhaps I am mistaken??

In any case I think that it could be a very good thing to be involved in, and well worth it financially in the long run.  A good mix of competition especially with regards to styles of play can only help strengthen the youth squad. 

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: CH FFC on December 12, 2012, 07:21:04 PM
I think that Jol has mentioned this, as part of his plan for building the youth at FFC.
Perhaps I am mistaken??

In any case I think that it could be a very good thing to be involved in, and well worth it financially in the long run.  A good mix of competition especially with regards to styles of play can only help strengthen the youth squad. 

Having just got back, I can only confirm my view that NextGen would be a step forward for our squad. Some of the build up play by Ajax was superb, lacked the final ball and could have scored a couple, but certainly created chances. They had one player Branco van den Boomen who was a good box-to-box midfielder in the mould of Yaya Toure

The Chelsea defence was solid, not allowing them to get shots away, their centre back Andreas Christensen was very good in particular, very similar to John Terry

If we can get them playing against the established, well built academies like this, we can get players that are ready built to take the places of the current squad

SouthfieldWhite

Our Sunday youth league had a load of free tickets for this game and was thinking of going until I realised I had a scouts meeting tonight, I ment to ask this same question but totally forgot once I was there

I think it can only benefit our boys as well and if I remember will ask tomorrow night at the fa youth cup game if its on