more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Ian Black

Started by Peabody, December 17, 2012, 03:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Quote from: RaySmith on December 18, 2012, 11:32:10 AM
He was just before my time, but I do remember Ken Hewkins , mentioned by cmg  - as the great Macedo's understudy; and Eddie Lowe , of course, who was one of my favourite Fulham players at the time - and still is one of my favourite players.

Good to read these memories of Ian - thank you.RIP.

I think you will find that Ken Hewkins and Frank Elliot were I an's deputies. Tony Macedos main deputy was Dave Underwood

CorkedHat

Following the interview of which he speaks, Ed asked me to write a verse in honour of Ian Black.
On receipt, Ian wrote back to say how humble he was that anyone should have written a poem about him, such was the modesty of one of our great goalkeepers.
I saw Ian play plenty of times and although he was never flamboyant or spectacular he was safe and reliable- a gentleman both on and off the field.
May he Rest in Peace.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

OldBrownShoe

Like Peabody and Corked Hat I saw Ian Black play a number of times for us before the onset of the mighty Macedo. To describe him as safe and reliable might make him sound a bit boring but he did his job well and he was certainly a better custodian than many others who have played for Fulham.
He also used many of his afternoons off after training to come and coach at my school St Clement Danes.

My late father who took me to Fulham in the early days also came to know Ian a bit in the bowls world. He said he was a most humble and helpful man and never made mention of his time at Fulham!

RIP Ian.

Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Peabody

My overriding memory of him is in the famous Newcastle game, we had fought back from 3-0 down to lead 4-3, they had equalised and then, a high ball into the six yard box, Ian jumping and catching the ball whilst in mid-air, Vic Keeble charging him into the back of the net. Even the press admited the next day that we had been robbed, very poor refereeing.

Steven Ageroad

Told my 89 year old Dad yesterday about the passing away of Ian Black. He said "Thats sad, watched him play many times, he was a good keeper"

LBNo11

...if anyone has any memories of Ian's playing career it would be good to see as I will print this page and pass them onto Ian's grandson.

Never forget our history it was the foundation of our present and helps build our future...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

sunburywhite

Quote from: RaySmith on December 18, 2012, 11:32:10 AM
He was just before my time, but I do remember Ken Hewkins , mentioned by cmg  - as the great Macedo's understudy; and Eddie Lowe , of course, who was one of my favourite Fulham players at the time - and still is one of my favourite players.

Good to read these memories of Ian - thank you.RIP.

Written by Gordon Mills in 2007 in the Hammy End

I'm going to begin with Tony Macedo's understudy for much of that time, reserve team goalkeeper, Ken Hewkins. Ken was a South African and a big man. Well over 6 feet and hard as nails, he might well have been a first team regular were it not for Macedo's unpredictable brilliance. Hewkins could propel his goal kicks well into the opponent's half - no mean feat given the weight of the balls back then - and such was the power of his kick that he was the regular penalty taker for the reserves. One game in front of the usual 211 spectators at the Cottage a penalty was awarded to Fulham in the dying moments of a game with the scores level. Big Ken ran enthusiastically up the pitch with the rest of the team standing back in anticipation of his bullet like shot. He didn't check his stride as someone else had placed the ball on the spot, increased his speed and launched a thunderous cannonball of a shot goalwards. To his dismay the ball crashed against the crossbar and such was its velocity that it rebounded well over his head and the rest of the Fulham players who were gathered on the edge of the penalty area. In fact it rebounded to an opponent who was loitering in the centre circle. He turned towards the Fulham goal and set off with the ball at his feet and all 11 Fulham players in pursuit. He shot from about 35 yards, no doubt fearing the ref would blow for time before he could get any closer to the goal and the ball bobbled along into the unguarded Fulham net with Hewkins and the rest puffing in vain some yards adrift. The laughter from the now Johnny Haynes stand was amplified by members of the first team who were in attendance, enjoying every second of the spectacle. There was no time to restart the game - Fulham reserves had lost!!It was moments like these and characters like Ken Hewkins who made supporting Fulham such a joy and started the popular term "Fulhamish".

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Peabody

Ken Hewkins joined from Clyde in 1955 and retired in 1962  and whilst it is true that this period encroached ointo Tony Macedos time which was 1957 until 1968. Ken had quite a few bad injuries, the reason for his retirement in that time he played 38 games, which can be verified in The Complete Fulham Records. In most cases, he could not plat because of injury

LBNo11

...I was pleased with the respect afforded to Ian's memory pre match with both teams wearing the black armband and the one minute applause.

Ian's funeral is on Friday - RIP Ian...

ealex40

In 1954 my dad and I went to see us play at Derby County, where we drew 3-3. In that match, Ian Black was again injured and Charlie Mitten took over in goal. Ian again went on the wing, with his shouldered heavily strapped. Could you see some of today's performers carrying on when in pain?
I wrote to him to see how he was feeling and he replied with a lovely two page letter. He was always a favourite of mine and later on he obtained for me, autographed newspaper photographs of his teammates......I still have them. Unfortunately, I don't have his letters.....just the memories.
RIP Ian. One class act!

Chrisg3

RIP Ian,
I used to buy all my sports equipment for school at Black and Lowe, just so I could go in and hopefully meet the 2 of them, never met Eddie in there but had the honour of meeting Ian on several occaisions, it was an honour to have met him

LBNo11

...just back from the funeral of former Fulham goalkeeper Ian Black at Leatherhead crematorium. Ian had a Humanist Service which was very well attended, his coffin bore the International cap he won for Scotland.

The infamous goal where Vic Keeble fouled Ian to score was spoken about, and they also mention his shop 'Black and Lowe, where he met his wife Dorothy.

There were two other Fulham fans and dear old Tosh Chamberlain was there too. They read out a poem by 'Corked Hat' aka John Ellen and he departed this mortal coil to the Match Of The Day theme tune. If anyone would like to show their remembrance for him they can send a donation to Mid Surrey Palliative Care Trust Fund, C/O Alan Greenwood & Sons, 425 Kingston Road, Ewell, Surrey KT19 0BT (020 8786 7476) RIP Ian Henderson Black...

grandad

Quote from: mr-ska on December 17, 2012, 07:21:32 PM
Black and Lowe used to own a sports shop on Tolworth Broadway in the 70's...   I nearly past out with excitement knowing they played for Fulham.  I was about 7 at the time

RIP x
I had an office on the other side of the road. I used to pop in & have a chat every week.
Where there's a will there's a wife