watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Briggs' performance today

Started by EJL, January 01, 2013, 03:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NogoodBoyo

Happy New Year to you Lorker with the fancy new name.
I was confused by your analysis:
"skinned twice, yes. he is very unagile and that is a concern.. however, he won the ball in tackles several times, supported kaca intelligently and demonstrated great athleticism."

Surely somebody who has "great athleticism" can't be accused in the same paragraph of being "unagile", can he?
Nogood "I'll put it down to the vertigo suffered from our rapid elevation up the table, isit" Boyo

cebu

Based on what we've seen in the last 2 matches, I hope Jol persists with Briggs for a while and see if he can iron out some of the defensive frailties. Briggs is young enough to learn and improve.

Bryanthebroom

You could see for sure west brom were targeting 1 on 1s with him in our box. As a wing back going forward though he looks powerful and a decent crosser.

Fernhurst

Studying my first game studiously ( 1957 home v Ipswich Town) as a fast emerging 9 year old future England full back I was absolutely fascinated why our left back Robin Lawler approached the Ipswich winger on the halfway line and then backed up until his arse was against the Hammy End Terracing! I was screaming at him from the Johnny Haynes stand to get a tackle in. Little did I know Robin was determined not to turn his back on him.
Really really surprised with today's modern methods Briggs could end up with his back to the WBA winger.
Just an observation, really hope he has a long career as our left back but there are plenty better wide men than that bloke.

Learn quickly young Briggs.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

MasterHaynes

Thought he showed all his old limitations, especially in the 2nd half. I really think we need to give one of the other youngsters a chance Kavanagh may be small but he can't be any less naive than Briggs was today and certainly shuts players down quicker. WBA worked him out very quickly and all their attacks came down that wing in the 2nd half.

filham

Noticeable how Albion made there most dangerous attacks down our left flank, the combination of Briggs and Kaca or Briggs and Frei is defensively our achilles heel and all premiership teams will be aware of this.

Andy S

This is why young players are put in the side and pulled out again it is to keep their confidence. All players make mistakes and ithe idea is not to make too many and don't make vital ones. Glad we got the points though

fulhamben

Quote from: filham on January 01, 2013, 10:01:03 PM
Noticeable how Albion made there most dangerous attacks down our left flank, the combination of Briggs and Kaca or Briggs and Frei is defensively our achilles heel and all premiership teams will be aware of this.
but they more than made up for it with attacking abillity
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

LRCN

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 01, 2013, 08:00:14 PM
Happy New Year to you Lorker with the fancy new name.
I was confused by your analysis:
"skinned twice, yes. he is very unagile and that is a concern.. however, he won the ball in tackles several times, supported kaca intelligently and demonstrated great athleticism."

Surely somebody who has "great athleticism" can't be accused in the same paragraph of being "unagile", can he?
Nogood "I'll put it down to the vertigo suffered from our rapid elevation up the table, isit" Boyo

happy new year to you.

i just meant that he is fast and strong, but turns slowly and reacts quite cumbersomely.

bill taylors apprentice

He has bags of potential but we will never know if he doesn't get a run in the team.
In theory, if he shows improvement after playing regularly he could fulfill his potential and make the position his own.
I am not convinced, but he must be given a chance, we have nothing else better at present.

ToodlesMcToot

Like Stockdale and any other player sitting the bench for a long period, or not being able to play with the first team for a time, Briggs needs a run of games in order to be fairly evaluated IMO.

There were errors to be sure, but there was also play that warranted more time on the pitch. Always have to take the bad with the good.

Happy New Year to everyone! Cheers to those who made the effort to support the team in person and of course to those who couldn't make it to the match.

Huge congratulations to Jol and the team for a well deserved and vital victory.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

Jones skins many a player. The only person I blame for the WBA goal was the lino. Lukaku was well offside.

Briggs played very well today. He is an improvement over JAR based on current form.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel