watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23.04.10)

Started by White Noise, April 22, 2010, 10:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2010/04/23/zamora-out-of-blues-trip?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Zamora+Out+Of+Blues+Trip

ZAMORA OUT OF BLUES TRIP

Friday 23 April 2010, 12:13

by Giulia Bould

Fulham will be without their in-form striker Bobby Zamora for their trip to Everton.

The Cottagers' top scorer left the field injured during their first leg of the Europa League semi-final in Hamburg.

Roy Hodgson later confirmed Zamora had aggravated an Achilles injury.

"Bobby has had this problem with his Achilles for some while," revealed the Fulham manager in his post-match press conference.

"He has missed one or two league games, but he felt okay yesterday and we hoped he would get through the game.

"But even in the first half he was struggling with it," he said.  "The medical staff gave him the all-clear to start the second half, but they warned me I might have to take him off.

"We have one week to deal with the problem. It is not a fresh injury so we hope a week gives us the chance to put it right because I would say he has no chance of being fit for Sunday."

The Cottagers' made the 570-mile trip to Germany for their Europa League clash by road after the Volcano ash cloud grounded their plane.

The team are expected to fly back today in time to prepare for the match at Goodison.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6110383,00.html

No stopping Schwarzer and co

Cottagers determined to grace Europa League final

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 23rd April 2010   

Mark Schwarzer insists Fulham were never going to let travel chaos affect their concentration.

The Cottagers underwent an arduous 17-hour journey to Germany ahead of their Europa League semi-final first leg with Hamburg on Thursday.

They were forced to travel by road as the volcanic eruption in Iceland grounded flights across the continent.

Roy Hodgson's side showed no ill effects, though, in the crunch encounter, battling to a goalless draw which keeps their European ambitions very much intact.

Schwarzer played a crucial role in keeping the scores level, with a couple of fine second-half saves, and he claims Fulham took strength from their travel adversity.

"When we found out on Monday we were going to go by bus, nobody was particularly happy about it but we held it together," said the Australian keeper.

Massive game
"We would have liked different circumstances. We would have liked to come over by plane but it wasn't possible.

"It was nobody's fault. We had to get on with it because we knew what a massive game for us."

Schwarzer also believes that the opportunity to play in a major final, a rarity for Fulham, has helped to carry the Cottagers through their European adventure.

"It is not every day you get a chance to play in a European competition, especially at a club like Fulham," he added.

"A lot of players have never reached this stage of a tournament before and starting from the front down to the back everyone worked extremely hard."

White Noise

Saturday's Action

Friday 23rd April 2010

Fulham FC News

The GB Deaf Team will take on Israel's Deaf Team at Motspur Park on Saturday in a European Deaf Football Championship qualifyier (first leg).

The second leg will be played in Tel Aviv in May. Whoever wins the game overall will go through to the European Deaf Football Championships to be held next year in Odense, Denmark. GB Men are currently the silver medallists, having lost to France in the final, held in Lisbon, Portugal in 2007.

The match kicks off at 3pm on Saturday 24th April and ticket information is available on fulhamfc.com.|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/MotspurParkMatch.aspx#ixzz0lvMccLjz

White Noise

http://www.sportbox.tv/football/news/story.php?id=309087

Labbadia shrugs off Fulham blank

08:51 - 23rd, Apr 2010

Coach Bruno Labbadia has played down the importance of not scoring at home after Hamburg were held to a goalless draw by Fulham in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final.

Hamburg drew a blank at the Nordbank Arena on Thursday night and must now break down a stubborn Fulham defence when the sides meet again in London next week if their dream of playing in a European football at their own ground is to be achieved.

"Of course we really wanted to score a goal at home. However, it's not like we don't have any chance at all in the away game against Fulham next week," said Labbadia.

"We are perfectly capable of scoring a goal at Craven Cottage. If we find the net in London, Fulham would have to score twice to progress.

"We can still

White Noise

Everton v FULHAM: Clint Dempsey set to cover for absent Bobby Zamora

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:34 AM on 23rd April 2010

Bobby Zamora has "no chance" of making Fulham's Barclays Premier League game at Everton on Sunday according to manager Roy Hodgson.

Clint Dempsey is likely to replace Fulham's top scorer, who went off in the second half of last night's Europa League semi-final with Hamburg after aggravating his Achilles injury.

Chris Baird could make way for Fulham's first-choice right-back John Pantsil, who has been sidelined with a knee injury since December.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Konchesky, Baird, Riise, Hughes, Smalling, Pantsil, Etuhu, Duff, Murphy, Gera, Dikgacoi, Okaka, Davies, Zuberbuhler, Greening, Shorey, Kelly, Hangeland, Stoor, Nevland, Elm

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268258/Everton-v-FULHAM-Clint-Dempsey-set-cover-absent-Bobby-Zamora.html#ixzz0lvNK3bXe

White Noise

http://www.bettingpress.com/category/Football/Liverpool-FC-still-favourites-to-win-the-Europa-League-201004230030/

Liverpool FC still favourites to win the Europa League

Betting Press Staff - 23 Apr 2010

Reds still favourites despite Madrid setback.

Liverpool FC are still the bookies favourites to win this season's Europa League despite crashing to a 1-0 semi-final first-leg defeat against Atletico Madrid on Thursday night.

The Reds, who were sunk by a Diego Forlan goal at the Vicente Calderon Stadium, have been moved from 6/4 to 2/1 with Blue Square to actually win the tournament, with many experts believing Liverpool will be too strong at Anfield.

The Spaniards are currently 5/2 with Sportingbet to see off the Merseyside club and win the Europa League themselves.

In the other semi-final Fulham FC held Hamburg to a goalless draw in Germany and the Cottagers are now 3/1 with Totesport to win the trophy, while the Germans can be backed at 11/4 with Boylesports.

For more bets on the Europa League go to Blue Square now.

White Noise

http://timetosoundoff.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/hamburg-0-0-fulham-a-tale-of-two-defences/

Hamburg 0-0 Fulham: A Tale of Two Defences

April 23, 2010

It just seems that this team is built for 2-legged European ties. Our away form in the premier league often comes under scrutiny and criticism (and rightly so) but under the bright lights of European competition it is the perfect remedy. Fulham may not play sparkling football away from home but it sure is effective. Only one European away performance can be described as poor during this campaign  and that was the 3-1 loss to Juventus.  Other than that night in Turin (which of course was gloriously rectified a week later) Fulham have been more than solid away from home. An initial draw against CSKA Sofia  with almost a complete second team, being robbed in Rome by poor officiating and a fantastic away victory in Basel rounded out a good away showing in the group stages.  A phenomenal defensive performance at Shakthar, a victory against German champs Wolfsburg and now a good scoreless draw at Hamburg added to the feeling of improved away performances. Why is it so different from the premier league? I guess that when we have a game plan (Must win or Must Draw) we are good at sticking to it. And of course Roy Hodgson is a God of European football.

As for the match last night. Not a huge amount to discuss other than to pile admiration onto the likes of Schwarzer, Gera et al. An early Baird mistake meant that hearts were in mouths as Ruud Van Nistelrooy bore down on goal, only for his composure to weaken and Schwarzer to collect the ball at his feet. Other than that chance, the first half passed everyone by with Hamburg restricted to long range shots that rarely tested Schwarzer.  Jonathan Pitroipa looked dangerous but had little end product, and other than the worryingly poor passing from Fulham there was not much of note.

As the second half started it was noticeable that  Zamora was struggling, an Achilles injury acting up and with him unable to make his usual powerful runs Fulham were unable to find an out ball. Hodgson dragged off the limping Zamora and brought on Fulham hero Clint Dempsey. Surprisingly this made Fulham much more dangerous in attack with Dempsey's clever runs irritating the Hamburg defence Fulham started to look the better team. I noticed that now that Zamora had come off, Davies was spending a lot more time in a really central position with Konchesky making more probing runs down the left. Perhaps it wasn't the 4-6-0 formation that many are predicting will be the future of football, but with 6 midfielders on the pitch for Fulham, you cannot get much closer to it than that.

HSV, to their credit, came back at Fulham and a couple of testing long range drives were dealt with magnificently by Schwarzer. Petric had come on by this stage but although he brought more of a goal threat to the HSV team I felt that they lacked something  without Guerrero 'in the hole'. As the game drew to a close, Fulham looked to be comfortably seeing out an excellent draw. With the Fulham support in good voice, the final whistle blew and Fulham are one step closer to a European final. Wow.

p.s. A quick word for the Ref, who I thought was outstanding. He hilariously told players of both sides to stand up when the were tackled and kept the game flowing. All of the yellows were warranted. It is a pity he won't be refereeing the return leg.

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23827331-fulham-get-my-vote-as-the-lib-dems-of-football.do

Fulham get my vote as the Lib Dems of football

Dan Jones

My wife and I had an argument. I wanted to watch Hamburg v Fulham. She wanted to watch the leaders' debate on Sky. We compromised. By which I mean my wife won and I shut my mouth. I married a good woman and when she says jump, I say Nick Clegg'.

I'm not saying I was happy about it. Given the choice, I'd rather listen to a live feed of the Ryanair complaints helpline (Volcanic Fury Department), adjusted to one third of its regular speed and three times its natural volume, looped around my ears forever, than I would endure an hour of the platitudinous drivel that currently passes for political discourse in our unparliamentary democracy.

But Ryanair wasn't on the menu last night. It was either Fulham or Boulton. So like I say, we compromised.

After five minutes, I was feeling queasy. Over on ESPN, kick-off was approaching. Team sheets were probably being read out. Yet I was watching the ghastly sight of our incumbent Prime Minister smiling.

When Gordon Brown smiles, it is at once sad and grotesque, like a snowman melting. Aww, I feel sorry for him,' said the wife. I felt my blood pressure torque.

Next up, just as I assumed the game to be kicking off, David Cameron started getting cross. This was even worse. I don't know what he was annoyed about. I'm not even sure he knew.

When Cameron gets shirty, he resembles Piggy from Lord of the Flies. Blinky and shrill. Pudgy and righteous. Kinda makes you want to brain him with a rock.

I didn't stay for Nick Clegg. Five minutes had elapsed, the nausea was building and the roughnecks' pub on the corner had Fulham on the big screen. Time for a sharp exit, as the advert used to say. The wife, a sage as well as a siren, followed the old maxim: if you love him, let him go.

But as I ran to the corner I knew it was too late. I had electoral politics on my mind and no matter how hard I tried to think about Europa League football on its own terms, the bit of my brain marked fatuous analogy department' was buzzing.

I got to the boozer aflame with the realisation that Fulham are essentially football's answer to the Liberal Democrats.

You see: Fulham, like the Lib Dems, mean well. They have a loyal fanbase, though the layman would have trouble recognising many of their
A-team. They're popular in those bits of west London that aren't unshakeably blue. And, of course, Fulham's supporters — like those of the Lib Dems — are the only ones still excited about Europe.

But they're not used to riding high. Most of the time most people find it hard to care much about them.

Except for right now.

In football as in politics, this is a year for the small artillery, rather than the big guns.
Much of this is down to the big guns themselves. Just as our two main political parties are abased by scandal and largely free of attractive characters, so our Big Four have done little to win hearts and minds this season.

The big beasts of English football, like the big beasts of English politics, have been kludging it out towards a curiously unexciting stalemate this year. So depressingly predictable is this battle between familiar rivals, that it is refreshing to see a plucky outsider doing well.

Never mind Liverpool, for whom another victory in the Europa League (to repeat 2001's UEFA Cup triumph) will represent a shabby return unworthy of a big club with big pockets and big players.

But if Fulham can turn last night's stout 0-0 into a place in the final on 12 May, it will be a great achievement.

They will have done it properly, stylishly. Beating big European teams including Juventus and Wolfsburg.

It will be deserved reward for Roy Hodgson — a cultured, dignified gaffer a cut removed from the English template.

And it will be a happy reminder of the days before the Champions League, when English clubs — Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal among them — used to treat the lesser European competitions with respect and win them on a regular basis.

So let the Lib Dems make mischief at the party on 6 May. And let Fulham rub it in the underachieving Big Four's noses on 12 May. And long may the fatuous analogy department of my brain keep functioning. This one turned out all right.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/166/europa-league/2010/04/23/1891495/hamburg-defender-joris-mathijsen-draw-against-fulham-a

Hamburg Defender Joris Mathijsen: Draw Against Fulham A Satisfactory Result

Mathijsen is confident the Bundesliga side's forward line can find the net at Craven Cottage, posing a real problem for the Premier League side in the process...

By Robin Bairner

Apr 23, 2010 10:44:00 AM

The Europa League semi-final between Hamburg and Fulham remains finely balanced after neither side could make a breakthrough at the HSH Nordbank Arena on Thursday evening, though Joris Mathijsen of HSV is not overly concerned about failing to carry an advantage to London next week.

Hamburg have been struggling domestically of late, but they are making steady progress on the continent, and Mathijsen believes that his men can still progress from this finely-balanced tie.

"There are certainly worse results," he told his side's official website after the game. "In summary, we have certainly created too few scoring opportunities. But despite the compact playing style of Fulham, we had a lot of efforts. In one situation or another we simply lacked the necessary luck, but we have every chance in the return game.

"In the last three European away games we have scored a total of eight goals. In London, we will score our goal, I'm sure. And in the return game, every goal counts double."

HSV know they are just one good performance away from progressing to the final, which takes place in their home stadium, though Roy Hodgson's Fulham have been excellent in Europe this term, particularly at home.

White Noise

http://www.bettingpro.com/category/Football/Everton-v-Fulham-betting-tips-2010042300120/

Everton v Fulham betting tips

Moyes' men are flying at the moment

Dave Higgins - 23 Apr 2010

Cottagers could crumble at Goodison Park

Fulham's only away win this season occurred at Portsmouth and it's hard to see them troubling that statistic on Sunday. The Cottagers are an almighty 9/1 (bet365) to win at Goodison, although Mark Schwarzer admitted this week that the team are cream crackered after their long coach journey to Hamburg.

Nevertheless, they recently came away from Anfield with a point and Ladbrokes offer 7/2 that they get a point from this encounter. The visitors' best chance is to keep things tight as they did in Germany and No Goalscorer is on offer at 12/1 (Boylesports).

The money is certain to come for Everton, who are finishing the season like a train and still have a realistic chance of playing in Europe again next season. Paddy Power and Stan James both go a best price 4/9 that David Moyes' team win their tenth home win, with Tim Cahill an attractive bet at 11/2 (bet365) to score first or last.

The Australian has four goals in his past five matches and looks a steal of a price to score at any stage of the game (7/4 bet365).

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/04/23/everton-v-fulham-82029-26302761/

Everton v Fulham

Apr 23 2010 By Jacob Murtagh

CLINT Dempsey is set to start in place of crocked striker Bobby Zamora for Sunday's trip to Everton.

The Fulham frontman suffered a recurrence of his Achilles injury in Thursday night's Europa League draw in Hamburg, and is a major doubt for the Goodison Park clash, so Dempsey is set to deputise.

Right-back John Pantsil could also make his first appearance of 2010, with Chris Baird making way.

Whites boss Roy Hodgson has Stefano Okaka and Nicky Shorey available again after missing the goalless draw in Germany

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3268846,00.html

Everton v Fulham preview

Toffees look to hit travel-sick Cottagers

By Danny Wright   Last updated: 23rd April 2010   

Everton have a great chance to pile the pressure on city neighbours Liverpool by beating Fulham in their late quest for European qualification.

The strength of the top four chasing pack has made it difficult for David Moyes' side to maintain their own ambitions for continental football, however they trail their bitter rivals by just three points.

Seventh spot in the Premier League would provide the opportunity for Europa League qualification, a competition which Everton tumbled out of in disappointing fashion at the first knock-out stage.

But a barnstorming post-Christmas run has ensured the Toffees have recovered from a poor start to remain in contention.

Beating Liverpool to seventh spot would be all the sweeter for the Goodison Park faithful, who see their adversaries' current hopes of winning the Europa League this season hanging in the balance following their semi-final first leg loss to Atletico Madrid.

Fulham were also in European action on Thursday, picking up a useful 0-0 draw in their opening tie with Hamburg in Germany.

The result was made all the more credible given the mammoth 1,200 mile round coach journey Roy Hodgson's team endured to get to the HSH Nordbank Arena.

The Cottagers shook off any suggestions of fatigue and concentration lapses to earn the draw, which puts them in great stead to reach the final in next week's return.

The trip to Everton provides a mere distraction to Hodgson's side, whose team have little to play for in the Premier League. The London outfit are safe from the drop and cannot reach seventh.

Everton news

Moyes should have no new injury worries for the visit after Mikel Arteta shrugged off a groin problem to score in the 3-2 win over Blackburn last week and the Spaniard is expected to make another start.

Aiyegbeni Yakubu scored one and created Tim Cahill's winner after coming off the bench, so he may start should Moyes opt to tinker with his team.

Defender John Heitinga (ankle) is very doubtful, meanwhile Dan Gosling (knee) and Marouane Fellaini (foot) remain long-term absentees.

Fulham news

Top scorer Bobby Zamora looks likely to be the conspicuous absence from Hodgson's team sheet on Merseyside.

The striker was replaced during the second half of the draw with Hamburg by Clint Dempsey as a niggling Achilles injury flared up again.

Zamora had started the game in Germany but the aggravation could rule him out of the return leg, hampering their hopes of adding to their solitary away win in the Premier League.

Elsewhere, Andrew Johnson (knee) remains sidelined but John Pantsil, Stefano Okaka and Nicky Shorey all return after missing the game against Hamburg.

Probable XIs:

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Distin, Jagielka, Baines, Neville, Cahill, Pienaar, Bilyaletdinov, Arteta, Saha.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky, Murphy, Davies, Etuhu, Duff, Gera, Dempsey.

Skysports.com prediction: 3-0

One to Watch: Mikel Arteta

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23827416-murphy-is-relying-on-his-home-comforts.do

Danny Murphy is relying on his home comforts

David Smith in Hamburg

Job half done. Fulham stand on the verge of the first European final in their history and are ready to unleash a second-leg weapon on their German opponents next Thursday.

There was a huge sense of relief among the club's faithful when they moved back to Craven Cottage in 2004 after two years groundsharing with Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road.

Life at home has been important to Fulham ever since. In recent seasons, their place in the Premier League has been secured by their displays at the Cottage, where they have beaten the champions Manchester United in consecutive seasons.

On the continent, it is no different. Eight matches played in the Europa League, seven victories, one draw and no defeats.

Impressive stuff and skipper Danny Murphy believes the intimidating atmosphere, combined with the intimate nature of Fulham's ground — where the pitch is five metres shorter than Hamburg's HSH Nordbank Arena — will force the Germans out of their comfort zone after last night's goalless draw.

Murphy admitted he was shocked that so many Fulham supporters — the official estimate was 2,000 — had travelled by planes, trains and automobiles to Hamburg despite doubts and difficulties encountered as a result of the volcanic disturbance in Iceland.

Murphy said: "Credit to them. What desire they've shown to come and follow us and watch us all through the tournament but especially here with what's gone on with so many flights being in doubt.

"It would be an unbelievable reward for the journey, from a long time ago before I was anywhere near a Fulham player and the club was in the lower leagues, to be in a European final."

For that to happen, Fulham must beat Hamburg at the Cottage next Thursday. That will be no easy task but last month's spectacular 4-1 win over Italian giants Juventus proves the players can perform wonders if they receive the right support.

Murphy said: "It makes a big difference. I can't stress that enough. It's something that any footballer will tell you, when the crowd is right behind you and up for it.

"What was surprising in the Juve game was that we'd gone a goal down and we looked out of the tie. But the crowd still stuck with us, showing their appreciation of what we've done in this tournament."

What will also aid Fulham's cause is the unique nature of Craven Cottage, a ground steeped in history but holding barely half the capacity of Hamburg's modern 50,000-seat stadium that hosted games in the 2006 World Cup.

Murphy said: "After playing at their place nearly every week, I don't think Hamburg will fancy coming to the Cottage. Our pitch isn't great and it's a tight pitch but we're used to it. Hamburg will probably think they'll come and dominate the game like they did in the first leg but they won't."

Indeed not, just so long as Fulham maintain the shape and discipline that are tenants by which Roy Hodgson manages the side.

Hamburg posed a constant threat, from the opening two minutes when Ruud van Nistelrooy and Piotr Trochowski both went close, to the last 20, when Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer made three stunning saves in quick succession from Jonathan Pitroipa, Trochowski and David Jarolim.

That danger led Hodgson to warn against over-confidence with the job only half done. "We are at half-time and we have to play another 90-minute half," he said. "Not many people leave a stadium at half-time or go for a cup of tea thinking the game has been won. There is a lot of football to be played and Hamburg are a very good team. If they score a goal next week, the advantage passes to them."

Before they meet the Germans again, Fulham must first travel to Everton on Sunday without top scorer Bobby Zamora, who misses out with an Achilles injury which forced him off early last night, and Murphy admitted that the team will be radically different.

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan last month threatened to make a formal complaint to the Premier League over Hodgson's controversial team selection for a vital game at Hull.

On that occasion, ahead of a looming Europa League quarter-final against Wolfsburg, Hodgson made six changes to the side that had previously lost an FA Cup quarter-final replay at Tottenham Hotspur. Hull's subsequent 2-0 win could yet prove decisive in their battle to avoid relegation.

Murphy has made a plea for understanding by Premier League rivals, as last night's match was Fulham's 17th in a gruelling Europa League campaign that started back in July and their 57th fixture in all competitions.

He said: "I hope there is not the commotion there was after the Hull game. The volcano was one of those situations nobody could have foreseen.

"But even if that wasn't the case, in the space of seven days to be playing Hamburg in the two biggest games in the club's history and play a Premier League game in between means there has got to be some understanding that we might rest a few players."

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/4/23/1438760/world-football-daily-interview

World Football Daily Interview prior to Fulham's Europa League Match

by Russ Goldman on Apr 23, 2010 12:02 PM BST  0 comments

I was on World Football Daily yesterday. This was my second appearance on the show. I was on to preview the first leg of the Europa League Semifinals. The hosts of the show are Steven Cohen and Kenny Hassan.

In this interview we previewed the match. We also also discussed other subjects regarding the club. Please feel free to listen. Here is the World Football Daily Interview .

White Noise

Bobby eyes decisive Euro tie

Published: Today

BOBBY ZAMORA is desperate to shake off an Achilles problem in time to fire Fulham into the Europa League final.

The 19-goal striker hobbled out of the first leg of his side's semi-final with Hamburg last night following the recurrence of his long-standing injury.

Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson has already ruled the 29-year-old out of Sunday's Premier League clash with Everton.

But Zamora is determined to be fit to start Thursday's decisive Euro tie at Craven Cottage.

He said: "I have had an Achilles tendon problem for a long time.

"It has been niggling at me for a bit now and I just did a little bit too much.

"But I really hope to play next Thursday, I am desperate to be part of that."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2945286/Bobby-Zamora-eyes-decisive-Euro-tie.html#ixzz0lw2DHrad

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/23/fulham-bobby-zamora-injury-hamburg

Fulham's Bobby Zamora aims to beat achilles injury for Hamburg return

• Striker strained tendon in first leg of Europa League semi-final

• 'I really hope to play next Thursday'

Press Association guardian.co.uk, Friday 23 April 2010 14.21 BST

Bobby Zamora lies injured on the pitch during Fulham's draw with Hamburg last night.

Bobby Zamora is hopeful he can overcome his achilles problem in time for Fulham's Europa League semi-final second-leg tie against Hamburg next week.

The striker hobbled out of the first leg against the German side, which ended goalless, after an hour last night following the recurrence of his long-standing injury.

Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager, has ruled the 29-year-old out of Sunday's Premier League match with Everton and confirmed Zamora faces some intensive treatment before he is given the all-clear to start next Thursday's match at Craven Cottage.

"I have had an achilles tendon problem for a long time," said Zamora. "It has been niggling at me for a bit now and I just did a little bit too much but I really hope to play next Thursday. I am desperate to be part of that."

Fulham could certainly do with Zamora as they seem to have hit a scoring drought following goalless draws with Wolves and Liverpool immediately prior to last night's stalemate.

It leaves them in a slightly precarious position, knowing an away goal from a team containing Ruud van Nistelrooy will leave Fulham with a stiff uphill task.

That is not to obscure another marvellous night for the west London side, who are now just 90 minutes away from possibly the most famous night in their history.

"It was a great result because everyone knows what we can do at home," said Zamora. "We managed to keep it tight, which gives us a big chance. It doesn't mean we will definitely go through but we are quietly confident we can get a result if we play as we normally do at Craven Cottage."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6111218,00.html

Murphy defends rotation

Midfielder insists club should be allowed to utilise squad

By Carla Hilton   Last updated: 23rd April 2010   

Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy has called for 'understanding' over the club's squad rotation as they chase European glory.

Boss Roy Hodgson has been criticised in recent weeks for fielding supposedly 'weaker' teams in the top-flight, with West Ham particularly irked by the Cottagers' line-up in their recent defeat at Hull City.

With Europa League success still very much a possibility, Hodgson has elected to rest a number of his key men for league games which, in comparison, have little bearing on their campaign.

The Cottagers boss could do the same against Everton at Goodison Park, according to Murphy, who feels the club should not be punished for utilising their strength in depth.

Understanding

"I am sure we'll be criticised whatever we do at the weekend," said the former Liverpool star.

"But there has to be some more understanding.

"If you are not allowed to rotate the squad in a situation like this, when are you?"

With flights grounded earlier in the week, Fulham were forced to make a gruelling 17-hour coach journey to Germany but they still managed to hold Hamburg to a goalless draw in their semi-final first leg.

That sets them up nicely for the return leg at Craven Cottage which Murphy insists takes priority over league games at the moment, especially with Fulham already assured of top-flight football next term.

Changes

"Nobody could have foreseen this situation, with the volcano and stuff, but even if that wasn't the case, to be playing the two biggest games in the club's history within seven days and have a Premier League game in between is exceptionally hard," he said.

"We have got where we are with rotation," argued Murphy, insisting that the Cottagers' fringe players have just as much ability.

"Everyone knows there are certain players who are automatic choices but the ones in the background aren't young kids, they are experienced international players."

He added: "It's a debate I'm sure will go on. But people who know football realise that anybody would do the same in our situation and I fully expect to see a good few changes at the weekend."

White Noise

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2010/04/23/heitinga-misses-fulham?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Heitinga+Misses+Fulham

HEITINGA MISSES FULHAM

Friday 23 April 2010, 14:13

by Giulia Bould

John Heitinga's season could be over after it was revealed he may have a hairline fracture of his ankle.

The Dutchman will definitely miss the penultimate game at Goodison against Fulham this Sunday and David Moyes has revealed the injury may have brought Heitinga's impressive campaign to a premature end.

The versatile ex-Ajax man limped out of the 2-2 draw against Aston Villa ten days ago and the Blues medical team believe the problem may need extra attention.

"Johnny Heitinga has got quite a bad injury," Moyes told the media during his pre-match press conference.  "We have found that there might be a very, very slight hairline fracture in there.

"He doesn't think it is too bad and we don't think it is too bad but there is a chance he might not play again this season.

"It won't affect his World Cup though.  He will be fine for that.  The injury just needs a couple of weeks rest."

Heitinga missed the 3-2 win at Blackburn Rovers last weekend due to the foot problem.

Everton are still without long term injuries Dan Gosling (knee) and Marouane Fellaini (ankle).

More to follow...

Everton (from): Howard, Nash, Neville, Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Yobo, Senderos, Baines, Osman, Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill, Bilyaletdinov, Rodwell, Saha, Yakubu.