Tom

Snooker?  :002:
Fulham for life!

LBNo11

...it's like pool

for men...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

finnster01

It is a game of skill and strategy like no others.

I am surprised it hasn't taken off in the US. It is absolutely brilliant and difficult as hell.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Logicalman

Snooker is a great game Tom. As LB said, it's like Pool, with a table and pockets, cues and balls, and the object is to sink the balls in the pockets, but that's where the similarity ends.

In snooker, you have red balls and colored balls (ignore the fact that red is a color). The red balls are worth 1 point, and the color balls are worth yellow -2, green -3, brown -4, blue -5, pink -6 and black -7.
The simple object of the game is to sink one red ball followed by a color ball, at which point the color ball is returned to it's spot on the table, until all the red balls are gone (there are 15 of them in all), and then the players sink the colored balls in the points order listed above, until the black gets potted, and that's the end of the game.

The difference you will find from that and Pool, is that the balls are slightly smaller, lighter and the table is about twice the size, 12 by 6 feet, so accuracy is a skill much more in demand. A great game if you can find a table to play.

FatFreddysCat

Used to be very good but does anyone watch it now? Who remembers the Iranian embassy siege the snooker final on the box? I dont think anyone in Britain wasn't watching one or the other, or in my case rapidly getting up from the armchair and manually changing channels, i blame remotes on my current obeseness.

Logicalman

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 24, 2010, 10:32:12 PM
Used to be very good but does anyone watch it now? Who remembers the Iranian embassy siege the snooker final on the box? I dont think anyone in Britain wasn't watching one or the other, or in my case rapidly getting up from the armchair and manually changing channels, i blame remotes on my current obeseness.

You'll have to go on one of them there fat-free remote diets then Fred :005:

jarv

Agree with Mr. Finn. Paul Newman would too if he was still here. When doing the remake of colour of money, in London, he quoted that he had never seen it but started watching it on tv. He watched it for hours until about 1 a.m. I recall and said it was the most intriguing entertainment and just kept watching.
It can be addictive when you get in to a match.

HatterDon

snooker has been played in the United States since long before I was born. Tom, in his never-ending quest to become the American Fat Freddy, hasn't sobered up long enough to find that out.

Having said that, as television, "Pot Black" was almost as diverting as "Come Dancing" and not nearly as riveting as "One Man and His Dog."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel