watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Academy

Started by White Noise, February 02, 2010, 03:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

The new-ish Official site has a bit more info than before on The Fulham Academy. Click on the link on the bottom of this post to get through to the Academy section of the site. As we seem to be going for a much stronger youth set-up with more high class international youngsters like Moscatiello, Hoesen, Trotta and now Buchtmann it is interesting to at what and who is driving the evolution of the next set of Chris Smalling's. I will therefore be mostly posting about The Academy in this thread.  ;D

Future Fulham  

There have been significant developments at Fulham's Academy, on and off the pitch in 2009, as the Club continues in its quest to recruit players of outstanding potential that can be nurtured into future First Team players.

The Academy is central to the Club's current and future plans, highlighted by an aggressive recruitment drive over the past 12 months which has seen the Club gain a wealth of experience and knowledge that will lead the Academy into arguably the most exciting era in its history. At the start of 2009 Huw Jennings was appointed as the Club's Academy Director following successful spells at Southampton and the FA Premier League, where he served as Youth Development Manager. Further high profile appointments followed in the summer of 2009 including former Liverpool FC Academy Director Malcolm Elias, who joined FFC as Head of Talent ID and Recruitment.

There is no doubt that Fulham's Academy now possesses the infrastructure, facilities and pathway to success to attract the brightest talents at home and abroad. The Academy provides the best coaching and facilities to maximise the opportunity of any talented youngster becoming a professional footballer.

There were notable successes and achievements both individually and collectively on the pitch in 2009. Academy graduates Wayne Brown and Rob Milsom made their Premier League debuts for the First Team against Manchester United at Old Trafford in February 2009 and several graduates were awarded professional contracts during the summer of 2009.

Gary Brazil's U18 team continues to compete with the best Academy sides in the land and recorded a memorable 3-0 win over local rivals the dark side at Motspur Park during the second half of last season. In the Spring of 2009 Fulham's U15 reached the semi-final of The Nike Premier Cup and a few months later the U9 team went one step further, winning the 2009 BWCI Guernsey Mini Soccer Festival.

Whilst excellence on the field of play is the primary goal of any sporting academy, Fulham FC places significant importance on providing a holistic development programme for its Scholars, ensuring that any time with the Academy will be a positive and beneficial experience. For instance, last season's Scholars achieved 100 per cent pass rate in their Apprenticeship programme. The course promotes total commitment to professional sporting aspirations, whilst also guaranteeing educational development.

In 2008 the Academy extended its programme to include the Coombe School Elite Player Programme for U15 players. This pioneering development combines daily technical training with individualised GCSE programmes at the successful local boys school. The partnership is being extended this season to involve two cohorts at U15 and U16 level.

The Academy also has a high success ratio in sourcing suitable clubs for Scholars who are not awarded professional contracts at FFC. The aim is to ensure that if a player leaves the Academy without a professional contract, they can still reflect on their experience at Fulham as being a highly productive one.

The next few seasons promise to be an exciting period for the Academy as it strives to be recognised as one the most successful in the country.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/Academy/FutureFulham.aspx#ixzz0eORd0JcL

White Noise

Academy Announcement

Friday 31st October 2008

Fulham FC News

Fulham Football Club has today announced the appointment of Huw Jennings as its Academy Director.

Formerly Academy Manager at Southampton Football Club, during which time he saw a 16 year-old Theo Walcott make his First Team debut, Huw has been with the F.A. Premier League as its Youth Development Manager since 2006.

Huw will join Fulham in a full time capacity by the end of the year.

Alistair Mackintosh, Chief Executive at Fulham Football Club commented:

'I am delighted that we have been able to persuade Huw to join us help drive the revolution at our Academy. It is our aim to make Fulham's Academy one of the most successful and progressive in the country.

'Huw's credentials at both Southampton FC, and more recently at the Premier League, are impeccable. We believe with his expertise, along with the recent promotions of Gary Brazil and Lee Hagger and the efforts of their excellent colleagues, that we are fully equipped to progress our Academy at pace.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2008/October/AcademyJennings.aspx#ixzz0eOTB9m6e

White Noise

Academy Appointment

Monday 6th July 2009

Fulham FC News

Fulham Football Club confirmed on Monday morning that Malcolm Elias, the former Academy Director of Liverpool FC, has joined the Club's Academy as Head of Talent ID and Recruitment.

Prior to his move to Anfield, Elias spent seven highly successful years at Southampton FC, where he scouted and subsequently nurtured the likes of Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale and Kenwyne Jones through the ranks to First Team level.

Elias holds a UEFA A Licence and left Liverpool by mutual consent in June 2009. His move to SW6 will see him team up with Fulham Academy Director Huw Jennings, a former colleague from his time on the South Coast.

In addition to the appointment of Malcolm Elias, the Club can also confirm that John O'Brien and Gwyn James will be joining the Club's Academy. O'Brien will take up the role of Greater London Youth Recruitment Manager whilst James will be Fulham's National and International Youth Recruitment Manager.

Following confirmation that Elias, O'Brien and James would be joining FFC on Monday, Academy Director Huw Jennings said:

"As one of the most sought after members of the scouting fraternity in recent years, I am delighted to welcome Malcolm Elias to Fulham Football Club's Academy.

"Malcolm's pedigree speaks for itself, having developed the careers of some of the finest young talents in the professional game over recent years. Several of Malcolm's protégées have not only gone on to establish themselves as First Team players at their respective clubs, but have also appeared on the international stage.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome John O'Brien and Gwyn James to the Club. I am looking forward to welcoming all three on board and their recruitment once again signals our intent to establish ourselves as one of the finest Academy's in the Premier League."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/July/AcademySigning.aspx#ixzz0eOTWqei8

White Noise

Academy Cup Trail

Thursday 9th April 2009

Fulham FC News

Fulham's U14 Academy side narrowly missed out on the Final of The Nike Premier Cup this week after blazing a trail through the group stages and Quarter-Finals of the national competition.

Fulham's youngsters defeated Arsenal, Sunderland and Coventry City in the pool stages to finish top of their group and seal a place in the Quarter-Finals at Warwick University.

A tense nil-nil draw with Manchester City in the Quarter-Finals resulted in a penalty shoot-out which Fulham won four-three, sealing their path into the final four where Everton awaited.

"We played Everton again in the Semi Final," explained Academy Development Manager Steve Head. "We found ourselves two-nil down at half-time. We had a right go in the second half and pulled one back but couldn't find an equaliser to take it to penalties.

"I felt that if we'd have gone one-up we'd never have lost the game. We actually hit the post with five minutes to go in the Semi-Final."

Despite the disappointment of missing out on the Final and entry to the Nike Premier World Finals, Head was clearly proud of his squad who entered the tournament as one of the favourites.

"It's the best we've ever done," he explained. "I've been going for five or six years now and we've reached the Quarter-Finals three times before. The boys did magnificently and they worked so hard. They played two games a day every day so it's tough.

"It's about getting them used to that competitive environment. It's a taster of what it's like and they absolutely loved it. You could see some of the boys growing physically as people and players over the last few days.

"We were the best team in the tournament, there's no question about that. We were the team to beat which is why it is so frustrating that we got caught by two breakaway goals in the Semi-Final."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/April/NikeCup.aspx#ixzz0eOTtYBUy

White Noise

FFC Academy Signing

Friday 24th April 2009

Fulham FC News

Huw Jennings, FFC's Academy Director, confirmed on Friday morning that highly rated youngster Richard Peniket has agreed to join the Club's Academy from Walsall. The 16-year-old striker was courted by a host of Premier League clubs, but after a successful few days at Fulham's Motspur Park Training Ground, put pen to paper with the Whites.

Peniket will officially join The Academy on July 1st and as his father Mick explained, despite stiff competition for his son's signature, there was only ever one destination once Richard had visited Fulham at the start of the month.

"Originally my wife and I didn't want him to leave home so the clubs that were our main targets were Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion," Mick explained. "Birmingham City had offered a professional contract and Liverpool were desperate to get him. West Bromwich Albion were keen to get him down and Newcastle also showed an interest.

"He had a trial period with Manchester United but he didn't enjoy that. When Richard came down to Fulham for four days he was so impressed with the set-up. When he came home he said that he loved it. He said he enjoyed the lads, which is important, and he said Gary Brazil was fantastic. That was a big thing for him. He felt everything was right as we all did as a family."

Richard's mother Debbie reiterated her husband's sentiments about Fulham and was clearly impressed with the Club's infrastructure and personnel on her visits to Motspur Park.

"I'm a people person and Fulham went out of their way to meet us and talk to us. They were very sensitive and I thought 'these are decent people with good values'. To me that's the most important thing – if people have good values it stands for a lot.

"Richard's worked so hard and it's the culmination of eleven years work. I was always of a mind that if we could get him an opportunity close to home that would be utopia. I was quite surprised at myself but having visited Fulham I just thought 'he can do this here' because everything about it is right. Richard also said 'it's not going to be a problem'.

"It's a fantastic opportunity which wasn't on our radar but once we'd been to Fulham and had a look we knew it was right. Richard was incredibly impressed with how he was managed and communicated with during his time there. He loved meeting Roy Hodgson and even bumping into First Team players, who even though they didn't know who he was, acknowledged him.

"He's incredibly happy but now he's got to concentrate on his GCSE's. He is desperate to play now and will officially be joining Fulham on July 1st."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/April/PeneKitSigns.aspx#ixzz0eOU91ZZK

White Noise

Kit Symons

Tuesday 3rd November 2009

Fulham FC News

Senior Scout and Academy coach Kit Symons discusses his return to the Club and his targets for the future...

First of all, I would like to say that it's fantastic to be back at a club I have always had a close affinity with, despite playing my last game for the Whites in 2001.

I've been working in some capacity for the Club for a while now having left Colchester United in October and it's going really well. I've been even more involved recently, following the Club's offer of a coaching role. It's fair to say that I snapped their hand off.

Ever since I left I have kept strong ties here and still had a lot friends at the Club, so it was a natural move for me to come back. Barry Simmonds (Head of Scouting), who I knew from my time at Crystal Palace approached me and asked whether I would be interested in doing some casual scouting for the First Team and I was doing that up until the summer.

This year I'd started to do a little bit more and then in the last month I took the position of Academy Coach, so I'm over-the-moon at the moment. I'm working across the whole of the Academy, although predominantly I'll be working with the U14s upwards.

It's good to be working with Mark Pembridge, my former Wales international team-mate again, and it's really such a terrific opportunity that I have been given.

I've been all over the place looking at various players and I'm lucky to be seeing different parts of the world as a result. A lot of people pigeon hole themselves and restrict their opportunities to solely coaching or management.

But that's not me. I just enjoy working in the football environment with good people around me – and I have that here. I'm trying to broaden my horizons and experience as much of the game as I can.

I have been an assistant manager in the Premier League at Palace and have been a caretaker manager a couple of times, so I have that experience. I enjoyed that side of the game, but now I'm enjoying my scouting and working with younger players.

It's been really interesting finding out how the Academy is run because these days Academies are almost a separate entity. There is so much organisation and hard work that takes place at that level and it's an area of football that has developed rapidly over the last 10 years or so.

And it's an exciting time to be part of the Fulham Academy, and the Club as a whole really. In football you get a lot of people that like to talk a good game, but already in the short time that I have been back things are definitely happening – they mean business here.

The Club is extremely well driven, and the people here want to achieve all they can. Having played for Fulham at a time when things were a little different, it's been amazing to see them progress as far as they have done.

The week before last the team was a minute or so away from beating AS Roma in a European competition. I'm pinching myself at the thought.

It was a bit different when I played, but I was very proud of what that the team achieved then, including two promotions. I like to think that I've played my part and because of that it's forged a special bond. So, of course, it's nice to be back and although it's a smaller role, it's great to be playing a part again. Hopefully I can be part of the Club's future as well, and not just the past.

I was at the Arsenal game the other week working one of the lounges and came out onto the pitch at half-time and got a wonderful reception. I have three daughters and the middle one is a big Fulham fan, and hearing the crowd that day really made her afternoon – that was her dad out there!

I think it's good to have former players on the staff, although the most important thing is that firstly they are good at the job, and secondly are good people. After that, if there's a connection to the past then brilliant, because it can only be a benefit. Look at the wonderful jobs that the likes of Billy McKinlay, Gary Brazil, Mark Pembridge and, of course, Ray Lewington are doing here, now hopefully I can follow.

I loved playing for this Club and I'm going to do the best I can in my roles, I've certainly got my teeth into it. If I can find players that will improve Roy Hodgson's squad, and younger ones for the Academy then I'll be a very happy man.

In terms of coaching, I would like nothing more than to help players develop and get themselves into the First Team setup. As a youth coach that is what you strive to do, and I'm going to do all I can to make that

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/November/KitSymons.aspx#ixzz0eOUVIB33

White Noise

Future Fulham

Tuesday 31st March 2009

Fulham FC News

Fulham FC's Academy Director, Huw Jennings breaks down the direction of the Fulham Academy...

VISION

Since I've been at this Club I have really picked up on its sheer determination and enthusiasm to succeed. From the Chairman down, we want to build a programme that enables us to produce quality players that will have an impact on the First Team.

We have a number of ideas that we want to promote. For example, one of the things that we've recognised is the need to do more within the inner city in terms of identifying raw talent and building partnerships.

It's a very competitive area, but it's important that we're first in spotting talent, not second. And unless you get that right, we're always going to struggle to produce top class players. We want Fulham to be seen as a club that attracts the best and a place where talent can be developed and nurtured into Premier League players of tomorrow.

So it's encouraging to see the league debuts of both Wayne Brown and Rob Milsom recently, while Chris Smalling and Matthew Saunders have been included in Roy Hodgson's squad.

Already we're seeing our young players on the fringes, and now we need others to follow their lead and make a name for themselves. This Club has a small First Team squad, so the opportunities are certainly there.

RECRUITMENT

We're looking at our recruitment very heavily at the moment, and we will continue to do so in order to improve the standard of all of our squads. We have a lot of boys that have potential for the future, but we need to raise the bar.

I've just come back from two days in Ireland, a country that traditionally produces a fairly steady stream of footballing talent. However, that's not to suggest that we're ignoring the young players on our own doorstep because we're not, we're working extremely hard in what is a very talented pool of local players.

But we do need to be mindful of the possibilities that lie elsewhere. We'll certainly be concentrating most of our recruitment in and around London, but we will look regionally and internationally.

In looking abroad there's certain parts of Europe that are a better fit than others, and I have always liked Northern Europe because I think the mentality of the players fits in very well with what we're looking for. We've been very impressed with what we have seen so far, and we're confident of bringing the right kind of player to the Club.

COACHING

The experience that the youngsters get when they are with us has to have two fundamentals. Firstly they have to be exposed to a playing environment that accelerates their progress as quickly as possible and secondly they need individual attention that that meets their needs.

Our coaching model focuses on the technical, tactical, physical and social sides. What I like is the fact that our younger players are given lots of problem solving to do, which they then take away and replicate in a game situation.

I've also been impressed with what I have seen at the top end of the Academy, where Mark Pembridge and Gary Brazil have been making giant strides with their respective age groups.

All the time I'm seeing our young boys being taught the game to a level that I'm sure will benefit them later on. So in terms of the future we really need to keep the momentum going and making sure that the players are exposed to top quality coaching.

TARGETS

Using the Club values we are currently building an Academy Development Plan that is designed to set ourselves around 20 targets that will challenge us to progress and move forward.

Our primary target has to be getting players into the First Team squad, and at the moment we're working up to that. Another major target is the possible expansion of the Coombes School Programme which has already started to demonstrate its productivity by the amount of time the players are now getting with their coaches.

We're also focusing very heavily on the players' physical development alongside our new strength and conditioning coach Martin Peart because it's not about having the biggest players and the biggest weights.

Our programme will develop the players in regards to their genetic makeup, and we'll support them through their stages of growth and hopefully avoid the usual youthful pitfalls such as Osgood Slatus. We need to be getting them into the best physical shape that their bodies will allow because that will benefit everyone in the long run.

OVERVIEW

Nobody should be in any doubt that we have to succeed in developing our players. There is no quick fix, but the foundations are already in place in terms of how we need to achieve that, and in the next two years we are hopefully going to see a high standard of players coming through.

So it's an exciting time to be involved with this Academy and I'm pleased to be part of what's going on. I want to be providing Roy with a supply of players that have the potential to become the bedrock of this Club.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/March/FutureFulhamJennings.aspx#ixzz0eOUm7rFc

White Noise

Future Promise

Friday 12th October 2007

Fulham FC News

Having scoured the country for suitable managers to take over the mantle of Under 18 coach, the Club appointed former fans' favourite Gary Brazil at the turn of the year. Brazil's coaching record so far at Fulham's Academy speaks for itself –his youth side are currently residing second in the U18 League, level on points with leaders Arsenal.

Brazil's initial interest in coaching was fostered at Fulham in the early 90's and with good foresight the former striker went about gaining the necessary qualifications to make the step from player to coach, as he explains.

"Even when I was still playing at Fulham I got involved with the Academy and I began taking the U16's side. I got my badges whilst I was still playing and it was something I was really interested in. I was lucky enough to work with some good coaches and it's the environment and discipline of being a coach that I enjoy.

"I initially moved to Nottingham in 1998 and started working at Notts County as a youth team coach and progressed through every level. I've had a go at Managing, but if I'm brutally honest it was too soon for me and I didn't have the support mechanisms around me that I would want if I had the opportunity again. But it was a great learning curve and experience for me.

"I've learnt all the areas of a football club at a smaller club than Fulham. Learning the ropes at a smaller club with a limited budget and having to use every penny very carefully is a good learning curve."

Brazil's coaching experience includes a spell as a Scholarship Officer for the Premier League prior to his return to Fulham and his time away from Craven Cottage has given him a clear sense of appreciation for the working environment that is Fulham Football Club.

"We have a fantastic environment here at Fulham - Motspur Park is beautiful. You step outside and you've got top class pitches and equipment – everything is spot on. Since I've come back in here, it's given me a lot of enthusiasm and drive to give it a real good go and see where it goes.

"All the staff we have here are a unit and we have a tight little programme. We're reaping the benefits with the way results are going. The key is making sure we're developing the boys properly and getting results."

Brazil makes it abundantly clear of the professional standards he expects from the players who are offered scholarship tems at the Club. For any youngster hoping to join an Academy, they'd be wise to take note of Brazil's words when it comes to discussing discipline and sacrifice required, on and off the pitch.

"It's quite an intense programme, mentally and physically and the drive and determination has to come from within. Society is very different from what it was a few years ago and we have to take all the stuff from outside the game into account and say to them 'when you come through the gate, this is how you behave within this Football Club'. These are the demands and disciplines – this is how you have to be as a human being if you want to make the journey and you want to succeed.

"It's about standards. Doing everything to the very best and we're empowering the lads to take responsibility for their own performances and the way they work. If they're not working to the required standards it's made clear in a sensible way that we can do it better and keep working until we get it to the right level. If they want to become professional footballers there's a standard that's required."

On the pitch Brazil is delighted with the start his U18 side have made to the new season. "The team has done really well. We don't concede many goals and we're a very hard team to beat. If there was one area of improvement it's that we need to score more goals. If someone had offered me six wins, a draw and a loss out of the first eight games I would have snapped their hand off. Even last week's game, when we played Arsenal, the two teams at the top of the division, we had our chances to win there but it was a case of them taking their and chances and we didn't unfortunately.

"I am pleased with the start we have made and it's surprised me just how well we've done although we finished the season really well last year. We've been working together for a period of time now and we've put some really good methods in place and they know what I want from them now and the way I work.

It's a case of me getting to know their strengths and weaknesses and putting good ideas to them on the training ground and repeating what we want so it's very clear what is demanded of them. They work well as a group, the sessions from January have improved immeasurably, in terms of the quality and the intensity and we're seeing the benefits of that on a Saturday morning.

"I'm quite happy to enthuse them and drive them along but there has to come a point where I stand back a bit and that drive comes from the group and that's slowly where we are going with it. It's been a really good nine months working with them and I'm pleased with the progress we've made.

Brazil is clearly enjoying his role with the U18's at Fulham and this time next year Fulham's U18 coach will be hoping to see a number of his current charges turning out for BIlly McKinlay's Development squad.

"We've got an Academy that has a lot of good boys coming through and the boys we perceive to be of the required standard coming from our U16's are given the opportunity to take scholarships with us. Then it's my job to work the group and individually to make sure we've got boys that are good enough to move on to the Development squad with Billy McKinlay. We're honing them to become young professional footballers."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2007/October/GaryBrazil.aspx#ixzz0eOV5iPGF

White Noise

Future Promise

Thursday 7th May 2009

Fulham FC News

Fulham's desire to unearth the footballing stars of the future has led to the development of an impressive Talent ID programme at the Club. FFC are certainly providing every opportunity for youngsters in the London area to showcase their talent, as Fulham's Talent Identification Manager, Eugene Dwaah, explains.

"Here at Fulham we offer a unique opportunity within the professional game for children and young people to progress from playing grass roots football to potentially becoming a First Team player at Fulham FC. The Club provides young footballers with an opportunity and pathway to professional football.

"We are passionate about youth development and extremely proud of our Talent Centres and Player Pathway programme. Our ethos is to recruit the potential which can then be developed by the best coaches within fantastic facilities, underpinned by the best holistic support. It's also our aim is to ensure that opportunities are provided to all members of our community regardless of background."

Eugene and his team are certainly working hard to develop close relationships within local communities and as a result offer a highly attractive programme to any prospective youngster with potential.     

"We have very strong links with the communities that we work in. We have taken an inclusive partnership approach, working on sustainable and long term partnership arrangements with key clubs, schools and community groups.

"The Club runs a comprehensive community programme and we work closely with them to identify potential Academy players. We also work closely with our 20 feeder clubs across London, supporting their football development programmes. We have run Talent Identification programmes in over 25 London Boroughs this season.

"We operate 12 Talent Centres across London with over 600 promising boys training weekly in our centres. I have over 35 scouts for my section alone looking for the best U7's to U11's. Our vast network of scouts and contacts are out and about watching hundreds of grassroots matches, district and county matches on a regular basis.

"We're planning to run our very own Youth Football Festival in the near future as well. We have a holistic development approach and have previously taken the best Talent Centre boys on tours around the world including USA, Spain and Italy. The rounded experience has resulted in our programme being amongst the most attractive for would be professional players of the future."

Whilst competition for the most promising youngsters is strong, Fulham's open and inclusive Talent ID programme provides opportunity, and as Eugene explains, "if you are good enough - we will find you." Eugene does however offer some advise to youngsters hoping to make an impact before highlighting the programmes available this summer. 

"To ensure a youngster has every chance of being spotted they should play at the highest possible standard. For example a boy may start off playing for their school or local club before progressing to district and county teams. Participation in our community football courses is also another way of getting our attention.

"This summer we're running our Search for a Star| trial programme. There will be five trial events aimed at reception class, year one and year two children covering 15 London Boroughs. We are also planning our first Youth Football Festival for local youth teams to be given an opportunity to play at the Academy. Our centres are running right the way through May, June and July. Our Scouts also hope to cover over 300 summer youth tournaments over the next few months looking for talented young players."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/May/TalentID.aspx#ixzz0eOVRmfvO

White Noise

Turning Pro

Thursday 25th September 2008

Fulham FC News

Having recently been introduced to the Fulham faithful before the recent home match against Bolton, you could have been mistaken for thinking Luca Moscatiello was a new signing

In fact, the player has actually been with Fulham for over a year already, but was awarded his first professional contract in May after impressing in his first season as an Academy scholar.

Moscatiello first arrived in South West London in summer 2007 after catching the eye of Academy coach Steve Head who was on a scouting mission in Italy.

"I had played for five years with Inter when I was playing in a derby match against Milan," recalls Luca. "Steve saw me and said he would like me to trial with Fulham, so I came here for three days last summer and they gave me a contract."

So the promising midfielder left behind his home city of Milan and headed for London, attracted by the prospect of developing his talents in a different footballing environment.

"When you change country you have to change the way you play, because it is a different kind of football," he explains. "I work hard in the gym, and I work hard on the pitch, so now I think I am better for it.

"There is a lot of difference from Italian football; here it is more physical and faster. The first days weren't easy, but now I'm ok. I like English football - at the moment I think it is the best in the world - so I am really happy to be here."

A versatile player, Moscatiello reveals, "I can play lots of positions in midfield. I can play in front of the defenders – I really like that position – or I can play behind the strikers." And he lists a current Craven Cottage favourite amongst those he tries to emulate.

"I like [Andrea] Pirlo, from AC Milan, because his tempo is really good with the ball, and Jimmy Bullard as well, because he always wants the ball, and that is the way I try to play."

The 17-year-old made a big impact with Gary Brazil's Under-18 side last season, and hopes to make the step up to regular Development Squad action this term, having already featured in the opening fixture against Portsmouth, testing himself against household names like Kanu, Lauren and David Nugent.

"Last year I played some games with the Reserves, but not in the league," explains Luca. "And this year I have already played the first game and two pre-season games. It was good, a bit harder than the Under-18s, but I like playing with them because you improve every time.

"So my target now is to play more regularly with the Reserves and train more with the First Team too." Indeed, the opportunity of the latter in particular is something that Moscatiello relishes, and says is a benefit of moving to Fulham that he may not have experienced had he stayed at Inter.

"It's brilliant, because you improve so much," he enthuses. "In Italy we trained in a different location to the First Team, so it's much better here that we're all together and have the opportunity to go and train with the Reserves and First Team, it's so good for young players like me.

"I just want to improve every day during my training," he says. "Then, hopefully, one day I will be a footballer in the First Team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2008/September/LucaFeature.aspx#ixzz0eOViJzn6

White Noise

Progress Report

Tuesday 20th October 2009

Fulham FC News

Gary Brazil's Academy side recorded a convincing four-nil win over Southampton last weekend and Fulham's Academy Technical Manager is clearly delighted with his team's recent progress after nuturing them through a testing first few months of the 09/10 campaign.

"We've had a squad that's quite unbalanced in terms of age," Brazil explained. "We've had a lot of younger boys in the system that are younger than the teams we've played against so far.

"We've got a big base of First Year boys. The Second Year lads have been in and around Billy McKinlay's Development Squad, which is really good, but is has left us light in terms of being able to punch like for like.

"The first couple of months of the season were really hard work for the boys and they found it difficult. For the staff it's been challenging because we've got to set a standard.

"When the boys come into the Club full time there a lack of awareness of what's coming their way and it can be quite a harsh hit when they come in. They've gone through periods where they'll take lots of touches and dribble with the ball – this is a very different environment and you have to move the ball quickly.

"You have to pick the areas to take those extra touches and we've had to work through that period and now the boys are starting to understand when and where to do certain things.

"We had to really push the boys early on and let them know the standards we expect. It has been a real battle that we've had to get through the other side of. Now the boys are starting to reach the levels we were hoping they'd reach.

"It's been a case of being consistent with the message and even though the results weren't good at times and we were getting hurt, slowly but surely the boys have really started to knuckle down and work really hard on the training ground.

"It's really pleasing from a coaching point of view because it was a tough period for the boys but we got through it and some of them are really coming on now. In the last couple of weeks we've started looking and playing the way I know we can play."

Brazil's charges have now scored nine goals in their past two fixtures and his current squad only need to look at the progress of players such as Rob Milsom, Joe Anderson and Wayne Brown in 2009 to see that the pathway to Roy Hodgson's First Team is achieveable.

"We've had two good wins against Charlton and Southampton. The boys have come through a journey and now understand what coming to a Football Club at this level is about and what they've got to do to achieve success.

"It's been lovely to see Joe Anderson getting close to Roy's team and Matthew Saunders also being close to it. There have been a few boys that are coming through the system who have been on the bench and it's encouraging for us because that is what the Academy is for – producing players for the First Team.

"It's great that some of the boys are getting a sniff of the First Team and they're travelling to Europe but it's important not to sit back. They're not there yet and it's preparation for hopefully one-day playing football at some level. If we can't provide First Team players for this club we've got to make sure these boys get a career out of the game.

"From our point of view we've got to be sure what we're doing is correct and we're teaching the boys correctly which we believe we are. I genuinely believe we'll get success."

White Noise

Through The Ranks

Tuesday 3rd November 2009

Fulham FC News

Josh Pritchard
Right-back
Age 17
Height 173.8cm
Weight 67.4kg

One of several new faces in the under-18s squad this season is Josh Pritchard, a young Mancunian right-back who left Manchester United, the club he had been with for the best part of 10 years this summer, in search of what we all hope will be a pathway to the top here at Fulham.

It was a big step for the 17-year-old, but with maturity beyond his tender years, he seems to have taken it all in his stride.

"I was with Manchester United from the age of six to 16," explains Josh. "But in the end they didn't want to offer me a contract, because they brought in two Italian boys who also played right-back.

"Here at Fulham Mac [Adrian McElligott] got in touch with the people at United and Fulham initially took me on trial for a week. I must have done ok, because they offered me a two year scholarship.

"It was an offer from a Premier League club, in the top seven, and it sounded good. When I came down to look around it met my expectations, so I signed. It was an easy decision."

So Josh packed his bags at the start of this pre-season, left his home and headed for South West London and Motspur Park.

"It's pretty much the same as in Manchester," he considers, "Apart from the accents!"

And contrary to what one may expect of a youngster rejected by the club he loves after 10 years of service, Pritchard is extremely positive about the chance he has been given at Fulham.

"Everyone here has been so welcoming which has helped me ease into it over the last few months," he says.

"Of course, it helped that I knew a couple of the other new boys from United. Jack [Dean] was there with me for five or six years and Richard [Peniket] came on trial just before I was leaving, so I knew him already too, and Jonny Cosgrove as well.

"It's a family club here, so I've been welcomed in, and all the players when I was on trial treated me really well. They were friendly and included me in the changing room banter from day one."

So are there any major differences between United and Fulham?

"Well, as you'd expect, the facilities at United are world class. There's a dedicated Academy building and a separate First Team building and they're both really big.

"But then there wasn't really much contact with the First Team players, unless I was injured during the day and I'd see them in the physio room. So it's nice to be around the First Team players a lot more at Fulham."

And what of the day-to-day work itself? How does what Josh and his team-mates do here, compare to his old routine at the Carrington training ground?

"There's more fitness work here," he reveals. "We need to be fitter because of the amount of work we do off the ball. At United it's more relaxed. Of course, the players there are good players who can play with the ball, but they're also physically big for their age – big lads at 14 or 15 years of age. So I'd say we work harder here.

"Gary Brazil tries to make us play the same way as the First Team – a 4-4-2 formation with everyone getting tight and working hard. The work ethic is about getting tight to the ball and staying compact, and then when we do have it, it's about expressing ourselves in attack. And that suits me well."

An affinity to the Fulham style of play isn't the only thing that Josh sees as a positive aspect of his move south either. A taste of First Team action for Chris Smalling and Joe Anderson already this season, plus places on the bench for the likes of Matt Saunders, Alex Smith and Michael Uwezu, has created quite a buzz within the Club's Academy ranks.

"It's good to see people given opportunities, because it shows the younger players that if they're good enough they can get into the First Team and get their chance," assesses Josh.

"That was one of the reasons I came here. Partly that - because I want the genuine chance of playing for a Premier League club, and partly because I felt I needed to move away from home as well – and London is definitely far away from Manchester!"

However, whilst his adjustment to life down south has been smooth for the most part, one or two teething problems with the under-18s' results have marred an otherwise positive mood, although Josh believes that any early disappointing form has been put behind them now.

"We lost the first three, won against Reading, then lost another three, but we've won the last two now, and quite convincingly too," he details. "But it's mainly been a question of getting the team right and getting everybody to bond with each other. We were still getting used to each other in the first few weeks, but now we're starting to form those important bonds, for example between the centre-back and me at right-back. It's starting to all mesh together and we're starting to play well."

Although primarily a right-back, Pritchard explains that he's been deployed in a number of positions this season, a fact that he believes is helping his development no end.

"I can play right-back, right wing, centre mid... anywhere really," he says. "I have to know different positions, because there aren't a lot of windows in our team. There are only really two full-backs with myself and Cristian [Marquez-Sanchez], but we've changed position pretty much every other game. If there's a centre-mid injured, one of us has to fill in, so it's important to get to know other positions as well, and it can only be of benefit for our understanding of the game."

So now, having already settled well and begun to make his mark at Motspur Park, Pritchard's aims are clear and focused.

"Hopefully by the end of this season I'll get a pro-contract, and then move up to the Development Squad. I was on the bench recently against Aston Villa and I've played in a couple of friendlies, which has given me a taste of what's hopefully to come."

And with his level-headedness and determination to succeed, one wouldn't bet against him achieving those goals.

Josh Pritchard Up Close
I don't have a nickname... yet.
A strength of mine is my game awareness, tactically and technically.
Although my weakness is my physical attributes. I need to get a bit quicker and be stronger battling for the ball.
I would say I play most like Gary Neville.
The biggest influence on my career has probably been my Mum and Dad, taking me to training and supporting me.
I don't have any hidden talents. What you see is what you get with me.
My favourite Fulham player is probably Brede Hangeland or Aaron Hughes, because they're good defenders, and they're underrated – much better than people make them out to be.
Growing up my idol was Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs. I don't hide the fact that I was a big United fan, but those two have played to such a high level for 10-15 years, and that's impressive.
Five years from now I'll be playing for the Fulham First Team, and hopefully getting into the England team.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/November/ThroughTheRanks.aspx#ixzz0eOWuCbfc

White Noise

Through the Ranks

Thursday 26th March 2009

Fulham FC News

"If people expect a lot from me, then I look at that as a positive thing – a sign that I have ability. But it's up to me to reach that required level and perform to my highest capabilities."

There is already plenty of pressure on any young player's shoulders, but for Academy 'keeper Wesley Foderingham, having played at the U17 World Cup and European Championship, the expectations have been exceedingly higher.

One post on the official Club message board proclaimed: "Wesley is a future Fulham number one," while another raised the extol further, declaring: "He could be the best thing to come out of English goalkeeping in years."

High regard indeed. However, the 18-year-old soaks up such appraisals with relative ease; a modest shrug here and a nod of the head there.

"A lot has been said about me as a player," says Wesley. "I'm aware of that. I suppose there has been a fair bit of pressure, but the way I look at it, a person can deal with that pressure one of two ways: They can crumble, or they can thrive on it.

"If people expect a lot from me, I look at that as a positive thing – a sign that I have ability. But it's up to me to reach that required level and perform to my highest capabilities."

Discovered at the age of nine, Wesley has progressed through the Whites' Academy ranks with distinction and garnered international recognition with England U17s in the process. He travelled to Korea for the World Cup and to Israel for the European Championship, not to mention becoming the first Fulham player to appear at the new Wembley.

"The World Cup was an unbelievable experience," he says. "I have never known anything like that, and to be involved in something that big was a very memorable occasion for me. I learned so much in the three weeks I was away. First and foremost it gave me a lot of confidence which is important for a goalkeeper.

"It also gave me a massive lift in terms of motivation. I didn't feature as much as I had hoped, but because of that I want to experience it again, next time as first choice. It gave me a hunger to do more and push on as far as I can."

Foderingham, fast approaching his 10th season with the Club and the end of his two-year Academy scholarship, is also set to extend his goalkeeping education with the Whites following his signing of a two-year professional contract.

"Things are going very well," explains the Shepherd's Bush-born youngster. "I'm obviously looking forward to next season because I've been working very hard for that contract.

"There's still a lot to do over the remainder of this season, and at the moment I'm working with the First Team quite a lot, which has been fantastic. That's been really good in terms of my development because I can learn so much from the likes of Mark Schwarzer and Pascal Zubi who have so much experience and knowledge of the game.

"It's a big step up and the biggest difference I have noticed is how few mistakes the senior players make. It's incredible really. That puts pressure on me because you don't want to be making mistakes in front of these guys, so I've had to be on the top of my game, and always on my toes.

"And I'm on the end of shots from AJ and Bobby Zamora as well - I'm being tested by top quality strikers. I think I've been doing well, and I have to say how impressed I've been with Erik Nevland. He rarely misses, sometimes you just can't get anywhere near his shots."

A goalkeeper with excellent agility and presence, pin-point distribution and an uncanny ability to deny opposing strikers with his close range shot-stopping, it appears Wesley has many of the attributes to be a top class goalkeeper, but he remains remarkably grounded.

"There's still a lot more I need to work on," he reveals. "But I'm learning and developing all of the time, and next season I'll be moving up to the Development Squad on a permanent basis and training more regularly with the First Team.

"I feel that young players will always be given a chance at this Club, and hopefully I can make a name for myself here – but that is going to be tough, I know that.

"I'm moving out of my comfort zone a little. In the Academy I'm used to being at the top in terms of age and physicality, but now I'm stepping into the world of professional football where I'm going to be at the bottom of the ladder. But that said, I'm determined to work my way up."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/March/FoderinghamInterview.aspx#ixzz0eOXKFSxc

White Noise

Through the Ranks

Tuesday 20th October 2009

Fulham FC News

Often overlooked when people criticise football players for their large salaries and star status are the sacrifices that have been made to get them where they are.

The average player who 'makes it' these days will have dedicated the vast majority of his formative years to training, playing and, of course, steadfastly avoided the many temptations that present themselves to young men growing up.

For many, the strength of character required to remain so single-minded would be too much in itself, but imagine if, on top of those bare minimum requirements, you also had to take yourself entirely out of your comfort zone, away from everything that you recognise as normal, and your family and friends, in pursuit of your ultimate goal.

That was the decision that Marcelo Trotta took when he decided to leave Italy last year to further his footballing education in England.

"I could have stayed in Italy and played football near my house forever, that would have been easy," he explains with wisdom beyond his tender years. "But this is my dream and you need to make sacrifices to achieve your dreams.

"The hardest thing is being away from my family. When you are just 16 it's tough. A lot of the time you are ok because you are playing football, but sometimes you want to go home, you want to see your friends and your family, but you can't.

"When you do get the chance to go home, it's just for one night, and it never feels like enough. But it's ok, this is the life I have chosen, it's my job, it's my dream."

Happily, the powerful forward doesn't appear to regret his decision one bit. Often seen with a smile on his face, chatting to staff or team-mates, be he on the training pitch, or on his way to his daily English lessons, he appears content with his choice.

"It's good here," he confirms. "Many things are different to in Italy, but at Fulham it is like a family, you feel at home."

The presence of a number of Italian speakers around the Club certainly helped with Marcelo's adjustment, especially in his first few months in the country when his English was very basic. In particular he cites team-mates Luca Moscatiello and Karim Laribi (the latter since released by the Club) as instrumental in his bedding-in period.

"They helped me a lot, because it meant I had some friends from the start who could help me translate and show me where to go. We spent a lot of time together. I spoke no English before I came, so that was important for me. But I have lessons every day to improve and now it's much better.

"The first time I was invited to train with the First Team squad, Roy Hogson spoke to me in Italian and that helped to make me feel comfortable too. Also, Joe Kamara speaks Italian so he helps, especially when I've trained with the First Team. He encourages me and gives me advice if I have any problems.

"As well as this Lee Hagger has helped me a lot. If ever I have had any problems, Lee has been there, like a second Dad to me."

Of course, language and cultural differences were not the only adjustments that Trotta had to make upon his arrival. he also discovered that the style of English football would take some getting used to.

"The football here is different," he assesses. "The players are stronger, so you have to be quicker and more powerful. It was very hard for me to get used to at first, but now I understand the English mentality and what is required – work hard, run, tackle, defend, everything.

"In Italy it is slower and more technical, so it is a good thing for me to experience both. Hopefully this will make me a more complete player."

Physically imposing for his age, one suspects that Marcelo has had little trouble taking to some of the more, shall we say, inelegant aspects of English football, with his Under-18s coach Gary Brazil once describing his protégé as, "a brute".

But Trotta and his team-mates haven't found the going easy thus far this season, suffering six defeats and only one win before last weekend's 5-1 thumping of Charlton. Clearly beginning to find his stride, Marcelo bagged a brace in that particular game, taking his total to the season already to five.

"We didn't start off too well, but now we have improved, we're getting better," he explains. "The 5-1 win against Charlton was a sign that things are coming together for us, but we cannot be too happy – it took us too many games to get that result."

At his age, winning week-in week-out, whilst preferable ("If you win, you feel better, and especially when I score, I feel great – I'm doing my job."), comes secondary to development, and recognising this, Trotta has his eyes set firmly on improving his game at Fulham.

"I want to develop and improve all the time," he states with a determined look. "I have trained with the First Team a few times now and it felt great. Obviously, it makes you want to be there all the time, but what's important at my age is to learn all you can when you get the opportunity, and hopefully you will be called back."

Having signed his first professional contract with the Club earlier this month, that chance will more than likely present itself in due course, but in the more immediate future, he is looking forward to seeing his employers take on one of the top sides that his country has to offer as Fulham host AS Roma on Thursday evening.

Marcelo Trotta Up Close
A strength of mine is my mental strength. I'm also good with my back to goal and I have a powerful left foot.
Although my weakness is my right foot! I also need to work harder on my heading, although I have scored two with my head recently against Spurs and the dark side.
I would say I play most like Didier Drogba, although he is a bit more aggressive and better in the air than me, so these are areas I need to improve.
The biggest influence on my career has been my father. He made massive sacrifices for my brother and I to progress in football. He worked away from home, but every weekend he would make the five hour journey to come and watch us play.
My hidden talent is my ability to pick up languages. You might say I'm intelligent!
My favourite Fulham player is Joe Kamara. He speaks Italian and always takes the time to give me advice and help me improve.
Growing up my idol was Christian Vieri. He and Adriano were Imperatore, the emperors!
Five years from now I'll be Playing for the Italian national team, and in the Fulham First Team.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/October/TrottaInterview.aspx#ixzz0eOXgl9sj

White Noise

Through the Ranks

Thursday 23rd October 2008

Fulham FC News

Everyone connected with Fulham FC was naturally delighted to see Jimmy Bullard called up to the England squad back in September, our pride amplified by the fact that, in recent times at least, Fulham England internationals have been few and far between.

However, that is a state of affairs that could be set to change over the coming years should a number of promising Fulham Academy players currently representing the Three Lions at various youth levels fulfil their potential.

One such prospect is first year scholar Keanu Marsh-Brown who is preparing to represent his country in the forthcoming Uefa European U17 Championship qualifiers in Spain.

"We're playing against Spain, Armenia and Estonia so it should be a good test," enthuses Keanu. "When we played against Portugal [in August] that was a good test, but I did well. I like to play against good opposition because I can show my best qualities."

Marsh-Brown received his first international call, then for the U16s, last August, and has since accumulated 15 caps at U16 and U17 level.

"I got a call up for a training camp where I worked with Noel Blake and he told me I would be involved in the Victory Shield [which England won]," he recalls. "In February we played Holland and I was Man of the match, then we went to the Montague Tournament and I was Man of the Tournament. Since then I've also been to the Nordic Tournament."

And representing England is something Keanu clearly recognises is invaluable to his development.

"The pace of football is much slower and you get more time on the ball," he says. "You have to move it around, be patient and wait for the opportunity to hit the other team on the break.

"Whenever I go away and come back I always feel like I'm improving. I try to bring the things I learn there into my training sessions here. I like it because when you go away it slows you down a bit, but when you come back it's much quicker, so taking what you learn at international level and using it at the speed of club football just makes you a better player."

Marsh-Brown has been at Fulham for four years now, since Chief Youth Scout Adrian McElligott recognised potential that youth coaches at Arsenal failed to spot.

"Arsenal released me because they said I was too small, but then Mac invited me here for a day's trial and Fulham signed me the next day," he recalls. And the Gunners' loss is Fulham's gain now as the youngster is, if anything, taller than the average full-back, especially for a 17-year-old.

Although equally adept with both feet, Keanu is primarily utilised as a right-back for club and country, and names Patrice Evra and Gael Clichy as the type of marauding full-back he tries to emulate.

"I like to get forward," he says, and lists his strengths as "Running with the ball, going past players, my speed, getting in crosses and shots at goal, one v one defending, and I like taking free-kicks and penalties." Although he concedes that he still needs to work on "My heading and my positioning in the back four."

Keanu is not the only Marsh-Brown at Fulham either as his younger brother Kyjuon is in the Under-12 squad. "He plays centre-back, centre-mid or right-back, so he's a bit like me," says big brother.

So with a sibling in the ranks too, it's little surprise that Keanu highlights the family atmosphere at Motspur Park as one of the things he likes most about the Club.

"The people here are so nice. It feels like a family, everyone is so close," he says, but any sense of comfort does not get in the way of the obvious ambition of a young player with a potentially big future ahead of him.

"I want to get into the Development Squad and hopefully, from there, push on to the First Team as quickly as possible," he says determinedly.

And his ultimate goal? "To play for the National team at senior level and be a regular in Fulham's First Team as well."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2008/October/KeanuMarshBrown.aspx#ixzz0eOYgAJek

White Noise

International Bright Young Things

Wednesday 16th December 2009

Fulham FC News

Academy Director Huw Jennings fills us in on the Fulham youngsters currently representing their countries...
The Fulham Academy is very proud to have so many of its young players now playing at international level.

It's important for their development and encourages and challenges them to come out of their familiar football programme that they have with us because at club level we can't give them some of the things that international football gives them.

When they go away with their countries they have to integrate with new team-mates and work with different coaches. They're opened up to different ideas, tactics, shape and formations, which is important. The boys are also coming up against opponents from different cultures and backgrounds.

We obviously want to work with our players as much as we can, but over time I think you recognise the value of them being involved at an international level. It benefits them and the Academy.

The feedback we're had from the respective international coaches has been fantastic and that's good to hear. Despite the fact that they have been taken out of their club surroundings – they are still representing Fulham Football Club.

We try and get a scouting representative to the games and they will compile match reports and assessments. We also ask for DVDs of the matches so that we can watch them back and see these boys in different game situations. It's a very helpful part of their football education.

It demonstrates also that within the Academy we are developing players that are being recognised as good enough to play for their country. It's recognition for the work that we are doing and shows that we can support the diversity of the squad.

We've also seen some of our older players like Wesley Foderingham and Matthew Briggs step up and do well at big international tournaments, which in terms of the projection of the Academy is great.

Let's not forget Chris Smalling either, who although outside of the Academy sphere, is a young Fulham player doing very well with the England U21s.

Lower down we also have another promising defender, Stephen Arthurworrey, who is essentially an U15 player, but he's recently been selected for England U16s and did very well in the Victory Shield. He played in front of the television cameras, and it was interesting to see how he reacted to those demands.

There has been a lot of debate about club versus country, even at Academy level. It's difficult, but the bottom line is that you can't replace the pride that these boys derive from representing their country and pulling on their national shirt. We have to remember that, and not only is it a proud moment for the player and their family – it's a proud moment for the Club too.

Fulham's Young Internationals
Stephen Arthurworrey: England U16
The Hackney-born defender has been with the Club since U10 level. He has a good pedigree and is certainly one for the future. Has already played for the U18s.

Matthew Briggs: England U19
Another that has taken well to international football, Matthew was part of the England team that reached the final of the UEFA U19 European Championship over the summer.

Johnny Cosgrove: Northern Ireland U17
Jonny has played for his country from U13s upwards and since coming into the Academy over the summer, he has impressed with his hard work and versatility in attack.

Wesley Foderingham: England U19
Wesley has been part of U17 World Cup and European Championship squads and is one of the most highly-rated young 'keepers in the country. He was also the first Fulham player to appear at the new Wembley.

Reece Jones: Wales U19
Reece has captained his country at U17 level, and never gives less than 100 per cent in the middle of the park. This season he has also enjoyed time in the Development Squad.

Jesse Joronen: Finland U17
A typical Scandinavian goalkeeper; brave, strong and commanding. Currently completing his education in Finland, but big things are expected.

Cristian Marquez-Sanchez: Spain U17
Captain of his country at U16 level, the 17-year-old is well-thought of in his homeland. Enthusiastic and committed, he's more of an 'English' player than one from the continent.

Keanu Marsh-Brown: England U17
Keanu has shone on the international stage, representing England in European Championship qualifiers and helping them to win the prestigious Montague Tournament.

Richard Peniket: Wales U17
A talented young striker and one of the bright hopes of the Academy. Richard has impressed for both Fulham and Wales with his ability in front of goal.

Paudie Quinn: Republic of Ireland U17
Despite suffering a number of injury setbacks in recent seasons, the talented 17-year-old is an important player for both club and country.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2009/December/AcademyInternationals.aspx#ixzz0eOdBacjx

White Noise

Through The Ranks

Friday 5th February 2010

Fulham FC News

Catalonia has long produced some of the finest football players - not just of Spain, but the world.

The names and faces of Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta and Carlos Puyol adorn young fans' bedroom walls across the globe, while the likes of Gerard Pique, Sergio Busquets and Bojan Krkic look set to follow suit.

And Fulham have another young Catalonian hoping to walk a similar path – U18 starlet Cristian Marquez-Sanchez, who arrived at the Club over the summer having spent five seasons at RCD Espanyol.

And while the talented youngster cites Barcelona's Xavi and Iniesta as two of his footballing heroes, there's little question where his loyalties lie in one of Spain's fiercest rivalries.

"Barcelona and Espanyol are the two teams of Catalonia," explains Cristian. "It's a big rivalry in that area, and while I do like some of Barca's players, I'm an Espanyol fan through and through.

"Of course, I now have a love for Fulham, but Espanyol is the club of my family and I have grown up supporting them. They're not as successful as Barcelona, but in recent seasons I've seen them win two Copa del Rey's and reach the final of the UEFA Cup."

On Wednesday night the 17-year-old was unveiled to fans on the Craven Cottage pitch having just signed his first professional contract, putting pen-to-paper on a deal that will run until June 2012.

While his education in the game started at one of Spanish football's most successful club's over the past six months or so, the likeable youngster has been fine tuning his game wearing the white of Fulham.

"Football in Spain and England is very different," he reveals. "Back home it is a little more technical, whereas over here there is more of an emphasis on strength, keeping possession and tactics also.

"It is a lot more physical too, but I like that side of the game and it is something that I knew before I arrived. For me, I've had the best of both worlds and I think that has put me in a good position.

"I haven't been a Fulham player for too long, but I already feel that I have developed – I think I'm more of a complete player now."

Spotted by Whites' scouts out in Spain, the talented right-back joined the club as a scholar after a successful trial, turning down advances from Premier League rivals Aston Villa.

"To be honest it wasn't a difficult decision to leave home because I love English football," explains Cristian. "It had been my dream for a while to play for a Premier League club and I'm lucky enough to have been given that opportunity.

"Of course, it was hard leaving my family behind, but it is a sacrifice young players sometimes have to make in football in the hope of furthering their career.

"There have been quite a few young Spanish players making the move to England and I have friends at Arsenal (Ignasi Miquel), Manchester City (Joan Angel Roman) and Wigan (Roman Golobart).

"We text each other and send messages on Facebook, and they all seem to be enjoying the experience too. Hopefully we can all go on and play each other in the first teams."

The youngster highlights the impact in English football that a certain Cesc Fabregas has had – a player that arrived on these shores at a similar age and who has since become one of the league's best players at Arsenal.

"Of course, Fabregas is the example of what can be achieved," says Cristian. "He progressed from the Arsenal youth team to first team very quickly and is now not only their captain, but one of the best players in the Premier League.

"The younger players coming through, whatever nationality, look up to a player like him. I know that I would like to follow a similar path and breakthrough into the Fulham First Team.

"But Fabregas is not the only Spanish player to do well here and we are very proud of the impact Spanish players have had in the league over the last few seasons. The switch from La Liga is interesting and seems to work well. I don't think it's too difficult for us to adapt."

Held in high regard in his homeland having captained his country at U16 level, Marquez-Sanchez is an attack-minded full-back that can also play in central defence and central midfield.

Fast, direct and with an abundance of energy, the youngster has impressed when lining up for Gary Brazil's U18s and has also been involved in Billy McKinlay's Development Squad.

"It was fantastic to play for my home club and the one that I supported growing up," he says. "I learned a lot there because it is a good place for a young player. But I believe I can learn even more here and take my game to a higher level.

"Espanyol have produced a lot of good players down the years, but I just couldn't turn down the chance to come to a club in the Premier League.

"A lot of people talk about which league is the best: La Liga or the Premier League. Some may be surprised by my choice, but I always say the Premier League. Whatever stadium you go to, the atmosphere in this country is fantastic and every game is exciting.

"For me this is where you want to be. This is the league where the best players want to test themselves."

Fans that know their Spanish football would be correct in thinking that Espanyol was the club where one of our favourite former players, now lining up for tonight's opponents Portsmouth, Steve Finnan, spent the 2008-09 season and the club whose captain, Daniel Jarque, died after suffering a cardiac arrest following a training session.

Jarque was also a player to have come through the Espanyol ranks, and his death in August 2008 sent shockwaves through Spanish football. It was a tragedy that had an impact at every level of the close-knit Barcelona-based club.

And it was the similarly homely feel of Fulham that Marquez-Sanchez cites as one of the main reasons for his move to SW6 and a factor he believes has allowed him to develop with relevant ease.

"Like Espanyol, Fulham is a very close club," says Cristian. "It has a family feel and that stands it out from other clubs – I already feel at home here. The Academy and senior players use the same facilities so us younger ones feel close to what is going on and part of things.

"It's been a big adjustment so I've just got my head down, worked hard and listened to my coaches. I want to improve as much as I can and work my way up through the ranks.

"To sign my first professional contract was an incredible moment for me and when I look back to the young kid that started out at Espanyol not too long ago I thought that day was a long way into the future."

Cristian Marquez-Sanchez Up Close
I haven't got a nickname yet but I'm sure the boys or one of the coaches will think of something.
A strength of mine is my ability to get up and down the flank. I'm also good on the ball and strong in the tackle.
Although my weakness is possibly my left foot. I'm not too sure, so you would have to ask someone else!
People say that I play most like Daniel Alves of Barcelona. Well that's what they said back in Spain.
The biggest influence on my career has been my father. He has supported me since I first started playing and has always tried to watch me play. He loves his football and is very proud of me.
My hidden talent is that I can flamenco dance! Don't laugh because it gets the senoritas!
My favourite Fulham player is Andrew Johnson. He's so quick and in front of goal he can be deadly.
Growing up my idols were Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas. All three are great players and important for Spain's chances at the 2010 World Cup!
Five years from now I'll be established in Roy Hodgson's First Team and representing my country at senior level.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/throughtheranksSanchez.aspx#ixzz0ehhf54g1

White Noise

Through The Ranks

Monday 22nd March 2010

Fulham FC News

Through The Ranks:
Name: Christopher Buchtmann
Position: Midfielder
Height: 174cm
Weight: 71.3

The signing of Christopher Buchtmann alongside Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka in the January transfer window may have slipped the attention of some Fulham fans.

With England left-back Shorey and Italian U21 striker Okaka brought in on loan to bolster Roy Hodgson's First Team squad, the capture of German youth international Buchtmann was completed with one eye on the future.

Where his fellow arrivals have impressed in the short-term, the versatile midfielder is very much a player for the long-term.

A figure of £100,000 was reportedly what it took to take Buchtmann from Premier League rivals Liverpool, where he had turned heads in the past year-and-a-half.

When news broke of his impending departure, the Reds' online forums were littered with words of frustration; the 17-year-old had been tipped to make a big impact and Liverpool's loss will hopefully prove to be to the Whites' gain.

"My time at Liverpool was a great experience, but it just didn't work out for me there," levels Christopher. "It is a big club, and the bottom line is that I just didn't see myself breaking through into the first team.

"Young players rarely get to train with the first team there, while already I have been part of the senior players' sessions here. That is what you want, because it shows that there is an opportunity.

"It came to the point where I had to make a decision. To be honest, it wasn't such a difficult choice because it became apparent quite quickly that Fulham were a club where I could move forward as a player.

"I felt that I had gone as far as I could, and the move here made a lot of sense. I'm not saying that it will be easy to get in the First Team here, it's just I feel that there is more of a chance – and that is important."

Brought to Merseyside by a certain Malcolm Elias, now our Head of Talent ID and Recruitment who had originally spotted the youngster's ability while playing for German club Borussia Dortmund, Buchtmann was part of the Liverpool U18s side that reached last season's FA Youth Cup Final and a member of the Germany U17 squad that won the 2009 European U17 Championship.

In fact, his assists were crucial to his nation's success, with his free-kick leading to Germany's 37th minute equaliser against Holland in the final. He also set up a goal in the 2-0 Semi-Final defeat of Italy, having singlehandedly tormented England in the group stage with three assists in a 4-0 rout.

"It was an amazing experience," he explains. "The Final was played in front of 25,000 people so that in itself made it a memorable night. The fact that we went on to win, and as host nation, made it all the more special.

"It was an excellent tournament for us, and I think we deserved to lift the trophy because we played well throughout. Beating England in the group stage was also a nice moment.

"Of course, it was an honour to be part of that Championship-winning team and it was a proud moment for us all. I've been playing for the national team from U15 level up, and we have a good group of young players.

"People have high hopes for us, but at the end of the day we have won just one tournament. The hard work is ahead of us now, but hopefully we can show what we're capable of again in the next competition. One day I would love to play for the senior team, but first of all I have to establish myself at club level."

An impressive showing on home soil also saw Buchtmann named among UEFA's top 10 stars of the future – alongside names such as Arsenal's Jack Wilshere.

"That was another proud moment," he says. "It's always nice to hear positive things about your game, and that was a good reward and recognition for me. But, I say again, I have to make sure that I continue that development, because there is plenty of work to do.

The Minden-born youngster has settled into his new surroundings with ease, with coaches impressed with his attitude and commitment since his arrival. In reciprocation, he too has already reserved praise for the set-up here and insists that in the short while he has been at Fulham, he has developed as a player already.

"At Liverpool the Academy, reserves and first team are all separate," he explains. "That's what I was used to. Here, although the teams train separately, there is a sense of togetherness because we're all based in one location. It makes those outside of the First Team feel part of things.

"I've been very impressed so far, particularly with the training sessions. It is clear that the coaches want to see you improve and I'm really enjoying working with Billy McKinlay [Development Squad Manager]. He's strict, but that's a good thing.

"He gets the best out of his players and I believe that he can push me to become a better player and help me move into the First Team at some point.

"I haven't been here long, but already I feel that I have improved. My fitness levels have got higher, and I feel a lot stronger. I've also made progress in terms of understanding tactics and feel a lot more confident.

"Look at Chris Smalling. He has shown what can be achieved from playing in the Development Squad and is a great example of how a young player can develop at this club."

On his DS debut, Buchtmann turned heads with his fluidity on the ball, eye for a pass and marauding runs on the break. A central midfielder through choice, the youngster can also play down the left, where his pin-point deliveries could also make a telling contribution.

A goal and an assist helped the Whites to a 2-0 defeat of Stoke City, prior to a composed display against Birmingham last Tuesday, with those present departing with a sense of excitement.

Having come through the youth ranks of Hannover '96 and Borussia Dortmund, and developing his game further at Liverpool, the German youth international now finds himself in the white of Fulham – a place where he will perhaps make his greatest impression.

"I have been given a fantastic opportunity, and I want to be a success here," hopes Christopher. "I am pleased with the start that I have made and it was good to show my coach and the Manager what I can do. I need to play like that every week.

"Okay, I left one of the biggest clubs in Europe, but that didn't make it the best club for me personally. At Fulham I already feel at home. I look at this Club and I do see an exciting future ahead – one that I very much want to be a part of."

Christopher Buchtmann Up Close
- My nickname is just Chris. I haven't been at the Club too long, so maybe I'll have one next season?

- A strength of mine is my passing. I think I'm quite accurate with the ball. I also like to run at defenders.

- Although my weakness is my heading. I could also do with becoming a little bit stronger considering English football is very physical.

- I wouldn't say I play most like any one player. Of course, there were players I watched closely growing up, but I'm just myself.

- The biggest influence on my career has been my father, Michael. My coaches have played a big part too.

- My favourite Fulham player is Danny Murphy. He plays in the same position as me, is the Club Captain, and also played for Liverpool. I think he is a great player.

- Growing up my idol was Zinedine Zidane. I used to love watching him play.

- Five years from now I'll be hopefully playing week-in-week-out for Fulham and representing my country. I want to become a better player.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/throughtheranks.aspx#ixzz0iuIUX6Tb