watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advice for New York stay in June

Started by MJG, January 20, 2013, 02:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

I'm looking for some help with a city break in New York for mid June.
The other half has agreed to a week there and as neither of have been before the problem I'm having is where to stay.

We both like our hotel comforts so I'm not looking for the cheapest nor the most expensive place, but somewhere in the city we can get to all the tourist type stuff.
I have had a look on a few sites and with so many to choose from and different areas where would you recommended we stay, Both area and maybe hotel?
Any websites for hotel bookings would be good as well?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance

Logicalman

Here's the site we tend to use when travelling in the US  .. hotels.com

Unless you are stuck on NY, you might consider Chicago as an alternative, great City as well as NY. Neither are cheap mind you, but you will get what you pay for.

You might also consider PM'ing The Rock as well, he's a native there.

MJG

All booked now so you can stop posting all the advice.

Forever Fulham

MJG et al, there's a good site: laterooms.com.  I entered this Sunday and pulled up this:
http://www.laterooms.com/en/Hotels.aspx?k=New York City&d=20130127&n=1&rt=2-0

jmh

I know you said you've got your booking made already, but if you have any questions about getting around, attractions, restaurants, etc., and you want to ask a local, feel free to shoot me a PM sometime.

Wingnut

I know NYC inside out too, so any questions just ask, MJG. A few off hand tips. Avoid those tourist bus shams. Complete waste of money. Buy yourself a week pass for the subway, you will save yourself a fortune on travel. Taxis are a waste of money. If you are looking to go the a baseball game; go to the Yankees. It is the easiest to get to Manhattan. You can get the B train from Times Square or the corner of Central Park. Book your match tickets before you go. Individual game tickets will be available from next month or thereabouts. Finally on food, you MUST go the Katz's Deli just off 1st Avenue on the lower East side. Best deli I have ever come across in NYC by far. The sandwiches are massive.

Also it will probably be VERY humid in June and NYC stinks, so be prepared.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MJG

Quote from: Wingnut on February 16, 2013, 07:07:40 PM
I know NYC inside out too, so any questions just ask, MJG. A few off hand tips. Avoid those tourist bus shams. Complete waste of money. Buy yourself a week pass for the subway, you will save yourself a fortune on travel. Taxis are a waste of money. If you are looking to go the a baseball game; go to the Yankees. It is the easiest to get to Manhattan. You can get the B train from Times Square or the corner of Central Park. Book your tickets before you go. Individual game tickets will be available from next month or thereabouts. Finally on food, you MUST go the Katz's Deli just off 1st Avenue on the lower East side. Best deli I have ever come across in NYC by far. The sandwiches are massive.

Also it will probably be VERY humid in June and NYC stinks, so be prepared.
cheers for that. Can't make a Yankees game due to the dates so its a Mets game I will take in.
We have the hotel booked and are currently looking at Where to go and what to see.
Katz's is on the list already. We have a whole week and really looking forward to it.

Wingnut

Quote from: MJG on February 16, 2013, 07:23:17 PM
cheers for that. Can't make a Yankees game due to the dates so its a Mets game I will take in.
We have the hotel booked and are currently looking at Where to go and what to see.
Katz's is on the list already. We have a whole week and really looking forward to it.

Firstly, the Mets play in Queens. You can get there is about 35-40 mins from Times Square on the 7.

In the city, I would suggest :

- Broadway show. I would wait until you go there to get tickets and pick up discount tickets in Times Square. Tickets R Us is a good spot for that. Word of caution : The people offering you cheap comedy tickets post 6pm around there are generally Scientologists trying to get you in for a BS speech. Their main headquarters is just off Times Square.

- Manhattan Skyline helicopter rides around Manhattan and the boroughs. Would be lovely on a summers day.

- Spend an afternoon relaxing in central park.

- Ground Zero museum workshop and Ground zero. It is down in lower manhattan. Not walking distance from midtown (times square) but only a short hop on the subway.

- If you are remotely religious get yourself up to Harlem on a Sunday morning for a service. The Mother African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in Harlem is a really old black church and the gospel services are brilliant. I have been to that church.

- The Staten Island Ferry is a lovely trip on a summers day.

- You must go to Madison Square garden. It's smack bang in the centre of Manhattan. Not sure what will be on there as the hockey and basketball will be deep in post season and it would be extremely difficult to get tickets. Also, it is unlikely that the Rangers will be still playing by that stage. Not sure about the knicks. Nevertheless, you must visit the arena.

- On the music front, Carnegie Hall and the Rockerfella centre are in central Manhattan.

- Shopping for the misses, 5th Avenue, you could spend a week there alone and Macy's is just off 34th street between 6th and 7th avenue. It is just a small stroll from there to MSG or Times Square in the opposite direction.

- There is an amazing Chinese restaurant near Wall street, if you are into Chinese food. The name escapes me at the moment but I will get if and post it here. It is the best in NYC; more of a local than a tourist spot.

There is tonnes to do there, you won't be bored but if you get sick of the city and it does get to you after a while. I am a city person and I needed to get away from there for a day each weekend. So, if you are looking to get out of the city for a day, you can do day tours to Amish country in Lancaster county and they take in Philadelphia, the Liberty bell, Congress hall and all that. They leave grand central at 7am and are back in the Times Square at about 8pm. If you are comfortable driving in the USA; it's actually very easy once you get out of Manhattan, I would recommend that you hire a car to do this yourself. The tours are a bit naff. Their is an Amish tourist centre in Intercourse Pennsylvania and you can see the Amish, get buggy rides etc there.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forever Fulham

Go see the hit musical, "Book of Mormon".  You will love it.  Or the drama, "Glengary Glen Ross" (if it's still playing).  Book of Mormon tickets are hard to get, so if you are interested, buy them now.  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=discount+ny+theater+tickets&oq=Discount+NY+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l4.764.5616.0.9141.12.9.0.3.3.0.171.749.8j1.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.3.psy-ab.cjcQnHzIW_c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.b2I&fp=87086c472ffe1e17&biw=1376&bih=629.  NY in June is nice/weather pleasant. 

Burt

I went there last year.

Recommended:
- Go up the Rock.
- And the Empire State.
- Take a return trip on the Statten Island ferry. Amazing views of the skyline.
- Hire a bike in Central Park.
- I saw the Mets. Great new stadium. Book in advance for tickets. Food and drink not cheap!
- Times Square. Gotta be done...
- 9/11 memorial at Ground Zero. Stunning and heart breaking in one go.

MJG

Well I have booked the Mets playing the Cubs and also the other half wanted to see Jersey Boys so thats all done as well.

Burt, I think pretty much all you said I have jotted down to try and do. I'm there from Monday to Monday and finding it hard to fit in all we want to see.

Burt

We crammed all of that in, and a little bit more (most notably, shopping in Jersey Gardens outlet mall - bargains galore!), in 5 days so you should be OK, if a bit tired by the end of it all!

jarv

Sorry to be a bit late on this, I don't look too often. If you get homesick, a pub called Jones wood Foundry (upper east side) serves a good pint, british breakfast, sausage and mash, fish n chips etc...bit pricey though :58: