News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stockdale getting tired of being number 2?

Started by JustOverTheRiver, January 21, 2013, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustOverTheRiver

The question is will Stockdale ever be premier league quality? Sitting on our bench for another few years will not do him any good but then again it is nice to have a "potentially good" keeper available should Mark take a knock.  But with Mark edging closer and closer to retirement Stockdales stock value has risen.  We have been linked with Stekelenburg but lets be honest with ourselves, it is highly unlikely he will come to us.  Should we try to keep Stockers or has he had his time?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8419730/David-Stockdale-admits-he-could-make-a-permanent-move-from-Fulham-to-Hull-City

Dixie

Van Der Sar came to us...

Personally I would have liked to have seen Stockdale as our number 1 for the past 2 or 3 seasons now. Not that Schwarz has been particularly bad - he has been brilliant at times - but because I think Stockdale is a great keeper of the future (could have been now if he had more PL games under his belt.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

cottage cheese

there must be a reason to why stockdale is never getting a game. I would blame Mark for the first goal on sat and really he should be dropped in my opinion.

Dixie

Quote from: cottage cheese on January 21, 2013, 11:51:32 AM
there must be a reason to why stockdale is never getting a game. I would blame Mark for the first goal on sat and really he should be dropped in my opinion.
But isn't that the problem?
He never gets dropped.
The only time Stockdale gets a look in is when Schwarzer is not available. Seems those who pick the team do not think he is quite up to being #1
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

cottage cheese

Quote from: Dixie on January 21, 2013, 11:57:32 AM
But isn't that the problem?
He never gets dropped.
The only time Stockdale gets a look in is when Schwarzer is not available. Seems those who pick the team do not think he is quite up to being #1

Exactly right. Therefore my only thoughts would be is that either he does not train as hard etc (impress the coaches) or they simply do not see him as being good enough. Its very strange that with Mark who is making mistakes this season he isnt even being dropped as a consequence. Jol must feel that Stockdale is still more of a liability.

JustOverTheRiver

Mark has a history of being a quality keeper and I think that alone is keeping him in the team. But that may not last forever and this could well be his last season with us/ our number 1.

westcliff white

stockdale reminds me of ben foster, he is a good keeper but prone to silly lapses of concentration which in turn means a goal (goalkeepers life i guess), these happen to often to the like of foster and Stockdale (just 2 of many i know). the likes of Mark S and EVS have lapses but very few and far between which is why they get picked more often than not or only dont play when injured.

i remember EVS a couple of season before he retired made a couple of howlers because he parried the ball but everyone said so rare that he makes mistakes and that is rightly taken into consideration.

For me Stockdale will always be the back up for us, we hsould look to get a top top keeper as we did with EVS (maik taylor wnet to understudy) Mark S (stockdale), Anti Niemi was a good signing too. I think we can attract a good keeper if they know they are going to play altho I think Steklenberg prefers the option of Barca (who wouldnt) if they firm that interest up, personally i see them going for De Gea in the summer which could mean Man U look at Steklenberg again
Every day is a Fulham day

OdecaMynoT

The first Citeh goal stemmed from a bad Karagounis pass across the middle of the pitch.Giving  the ball there was criminal. Yes Schwarzer should have dealt with it much better but from the moment George made that pass,alarm bells were ringing loud and clear.

D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

earlbeatty

I don't think you can really blame him for getting frustrated. When you look at most Premier League squads (25 per team), there are going to be a lot of players who are not actually playing that much football.

I think that Stockdale will turn out to be a resonable keeper, but how will he improve at Fulham when he is getting so little time on the pitch? It makes sense for him to gain more experience at another club and you never know at the end of the season, he might come back and take over as our number 1. Think Schwarzer is still a quality keeper, but he has made a few errors this season and not sure how much longer he can continue at this level.....

EB

vbg cottager

at least he should have got a proper chance. sitting on the bench doesn't make you any better...

Nero

IF we arent going to play him next season we may as well sell with a buy back clause

MOR :

If I was Stockdale I'd be upset with Fulham & Jol...and I'd probably be off.