watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey's 90th Minute Goal Against ManU

Started by Forever Fulham, January 21, 2013, 07:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Who else watched the game?  He and Dembele worked their butts off. I couldn't help myself when he scored the tie goal at the end.  I jumped out of my seat like a damn fool shouting his name.  Sigh. The two players we need most right now.  Dembele to Dempsey to Berbatov.  Since that's not going to happen, I'll gladly take Stockdale, a good creative attacking mid, and Balotelli.  But not in that order. 

leonffc

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 21, 2013, 07:36:28 AM
Who else watched the game?  He and Dembele worked their butts off.

Against ManUre. Probably trying to engineer their next moves!!

Lighthouse

We have never recovered from their loss. Although less happy about the last minute goal until I realised it gave me a perfect score on a double points game in the prediction league. Hurrah.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dixie

Did you see the sitters that he missed earlier in the game though?

I must confess that I thought Spurs looked fantastic (from the highlights) - I just wish I could see Fulham playing with that pace and fluidity!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

McBridefan1

The funniest bit is the fans don't like him... The guy does work right to the last minute and scores big goals, picks up key fouls in dangerous areas, and usually anticipates his teammates moves for some clever passes... Despite all that many in England don't like him playing for their team, I could never understand it. Some people just love style over substance.

Many big names that move to other clubs struggle their first seasons, he is doing well but is perceived as a bust, no matter how hard I try I will never understand the English psyche...

Rupert

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 21, 2013, 11:54:37 AM
Many big names that move to other clubs have shlt first seasons, he is doing well but is perceived as a bust, no matter how hard I try I will never understand the English psyche...

You know why? Tea. It really is that simple. Way back when, your ancestors decided they did not want to drink tea, so chucked the crates into the water. Yes, yes, you will claim it was over taxation without representation, but we know the real reason, you all decided to drink coffee out of ridiculously small cups instead of properly sized mugs of tea, and from that moment on your fledgling republic was doomed.
You made a similar error when you dropped cricket in favour of baseball, all over a snit about us favouring the South in your civil war. Actually, popular sentiment might have been on the side of Hatter Don and his mates, but the British government was horrified by the prospect of a Southern victory as it was an agrarian society taking on an industrial one, and we had agrarian Ireland feeling unruly with industrial Britain to worry us, so you stopped playing cricket for the wrong reasons.

So there you go, reinstate tea as your national drink and play us at cricket at Lords (and probably win) and you will understand us perfectly.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

McBridefan1

Alright I will go for tea, but cricket? We already have our boring sport of baseball, it isn't my fault I love it, it was the coffee what made me do it... And maybe a bit of this  :beer:

jarv

Afetr what dempsey did, it leaves a sour taste to see him score. However, I don't know (does anyone) the real truth about why he did it (move to spuds).
Was it money? was it Jol? Certainly wasn't champions league football cos they don't have that, and I doubt they will make top 4 this season.

McBridefan1

Quote from: jarv on January 21, 2013, 01:48:24 PM
Afetr what dempsey did, it leaves a sour taste to see him score. However, I don't know (does anyone) the real truth about why he did it (move to spuds).
Was it money? was it Jol? Certainly wasn't champions league football cos they don't have that, and I doubt they will make top 4 this season.

I know it is the mirror but it seems he is laying it at jollys feet. I always had the feeling jol wanted him gone so he could build his team, with his own tactics... Who knows

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/clint-dempsey-reveals-he-left-fulham-1463582

Forever Fulham

The score should have been 4-1 Spurs, so many players missing easy looking goals.  ManU's defense goes to sleep at times, regardless of the big names wearing the jerseys.  And their midfield is slow and old.  They live off their goal keeping and front line.  Fulham can beat them if we keep attacking.

HatterDon

"After what Dempsey did for the club ... ." Here's what Dempsey did for the club last year: He papered over the cracks in Jol's style by scoring goals that moved us from the relegation zone to the top 10. His opportunism and willingness to "try anything" is what made last season and what is missing this season.

Here's what happened AFTER the last match last season.
1. Dempsey asked for a 4 year contract extension.
2. The club said no.
3. Dempsey decided his future lay elsewhere.
4. Liverpool made an offer to the board. They were willing. Dempsey was willing.
5. Liverpool agreed to keep the agreement silent so that we wouldn't be in a weakened position in acquiring new players.
6. Some idiot at NESN's web site posted that Dempsey had signed with Liverpool.
7. MAF got incredibly angry and looked for revenge.
8. Believing that Dempsey had something to do with the link, MAF had Jol send Deuce to Coventry.
9. He then got his revenge on Liverpool by waiting until the last 2 or 3 days of the transfer period before telling them that they were NOT getting Dempsey. As a matter of fact, we waited until they had loaned out their #9 to West Ham and then we hung them out to dry.
10. We wound up transferring Dempsey to Tottenham for about half of what we could have gotten from Liverpool -- either cash or cash plus Charlie Adam or Jordan Henderson.

MAF got his revenge, Dempsey got to stay in London. Spurs got the bargain of the year. Everybody wins! Well, except for a bunch of Fulham supporters, most of whom didn't like Dempsey when he was winning matches for us, and almost all of whom despise him now.

No links. Just information I've picked up here and there and some analysis.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Forever Fulham

If what you are writing is true, then there isn't a single fan who should feel any animosity toward Clint--only the deepest respect and admiration.  You write your sources informed that Clint wanted a four year extension and the club said 'no.'  That won't square with facts that support the Clint-hating--that he was an ingrate, that he wanted to leave, that he didn't care about the team, that he thought only of leaving for greener pastures.  If what you are writing is true, then a whole lot of fans on this board have to do a major rethink.  But without more proof than merely taking your word for it--even though you are held in high regard by fellow fans/posters on this board--they will dismiss this counter-narrative as mere speculation.  I wish you had collaboration here, HD. 

Forever Fulham

Pardon my typo.  I meant to write, "I wish you had corraboration here, HD."

EJL

Quote from: HatterDon on January 21, 2013, 03:02:35 PM
"After what Dempsey did for the club ... ." Here's what Dempsey did for the club last year: He papered over the cracks in Jol's style by scoring goals that moved us from the relegation zone to the top 10. His opportunism and willingness to "try sh1t" is what made last season and what is missing this season.

2. The club said no.
4. Liverpool made an offer to the board. They were willing. Dempsey was willing.
5. Liverpool agreed to keep the agreement silent so that we wouldn't be in a weakened position in acquiring new players.
8. Believing that Dempsey had something to do with the link, MAF had Jol send Deuce to Coventry.
9. He then got his revenge on Liverpool by waiting until the last 2 or 3 days of the transfer period before telling them that they were NOT getting Dempsey. As a matter of fact, we waited until they had loaned out their #9 to West Ham and then we hung them out to dry.
10. We wound up transferring Dempsey to Tottenham for about half of what we could have gotten from Liverpool -- either cash or cash plus Charlie Adam or Jordan Henderson.

MAF got his revenge, Dempsey got to stay in London. Spurs got the bargain of the year. Everybody wins! Well, except for a bunch of Fulham supporters, most of whom didn't like Dempsey when he was winning matches for us, and almost all of whom despise him now.

:plus one:

Bit in bold is the best.

HatterDon

I wish I had more corroboration to submit as well, Mr. Forever Fulham. Unfortunately, this is a friend of a friend type thing, some of which has been discussed publicly here in the states by one Brian McBride.

The "someday the whole story will come out" that Clint's brother mentioned is going to have to wait until Dempsey hangs up his boots. You don't spill the beans on an owner and a front office if you expect to ever work for another owner and front office.

Moving on ... Snowed like a MOFO this weekend in the south of England, didn't it?

Apprentice to the Maestro

One benefit of Dempsey having moved on is we have fewer posts about how Dempsey wasn't appreciated by Fulham and English fans, how he was mistreated Jol, Mo, the club and the board, how the `truth' will come out.

Fulham and most of the fans have moved on. McBridefan1 and HatterDon would be better off defending Dempsey on the Spurs site where again he seems under-appreciated.

HatterDon

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 21, 2013, 03:27:03 PM
One benefit of Dempsey having moved on is we have fewer posts about how Dempsey wasn't appreciated by Fulham and English fans, how he was mistreated Jol, Mo, the club and the board, how the `truth' will come out.

Fulham and most of the fans have moved on. McBridefan1 and HatterDon would be better off defending Dempsey on the Spurs site where again he seems under-appreciated.

Well, who could have predicted a comment like this? I am completely bumfuzzled in surprise. What insight!

Now I know who FofF put in charge of determining who is and who isn't a Fulham supporter.

EJL

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 21, 2013, 03:27:03 PM

Posts like HD's always seem to be necessary with the sporadic returns of Dempsey bashing. Yes, he might not play for Fulham anymore but, whether you like it or not, he's a big part of the club's history.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: HatterDon on January 21, 2013, 03:02:35 PM
"After what Dempsey did for the club ... ." Here's what Dempsey did for the club last year: He papered over the cracks in Jol's style by scoring goals that moved us from the relegation zone to the top 10. His opportunism and willingness to "try sh1t" is what made last season and what is missing this season.

2. The club said no.

Even if your 10 points are true word for word what does it change? The club are entitled to offer whatever contract they see fit. MAF was entitled to get angry.

RaySmith

Clint had been saying for some time that his ambition was to play for a club with a chance of Champions League football - read 'bigger ' club than Fulham - and after his great season last year - with him getting so much publicity for his scoring -

then the end of last season was a good time to move for a player of his age, who had give his all for Fulham for some years, and been such a crucially important player for us.

I don't see anything wrong with this - it was inevitable, very sad as I was to see him go. Why wouldn't he want a crack at winning something in the English game, or playing in the Champions league, when he had the chance?

I don't hold any animosity to Clint, though obviously there was a difficult period before he moved to Spurs, caused by Liverpool, and wish him well.

But now he know longer plays for Fulham like so many other top players we took to our hearts, and  we just have to move on - Clint Dempsey is no longer a Fulham player, and that's it.