Main Menu

Don't belive everything you read

Started by Admin, January 23, 2013, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: Admin on January 23, 2013, 08:47:44 AM
why are we holding back on funds

Perhaps because a large number of our current squad will leave at the end of the season due to their age and their current contracts expiring, and therefore significant investment will be required to replace them. Buying short-term cover in January at over-inflated fees and higher wages would undoubtedly eat into any summer budget, meaning we could well be in a more dire position than we are now. It's a gamble for sure, but I'm positive that if no investment, however small, is forthcoming during this window, it's a calculated risk that both Mack and Mo are prepared to take.

Rebuilding a squad doesn't happen in 18 months; reducing the average age of the squad doesn't happen in 18 months. Perhaps the summer clear out and a planned hefty investment are all part of the bigger picture. It may also be why there's not much noise coming out of the club with regards our league position, form or the dreaded vote of confidence for Jol?

It could simply be that Mo, Mack and Jol all see this season as a season of transition, and it is all part of a much bigger plan.
It could be argued that this makes sense, clear out the dead wood in the summer and start again.
One flaw in that is would it not be better to get players in now (even with say 3 or 4 of the squad who are leaving still stay to the end of the season) and give them a chance to get used to the lge(if from abroad) and the club and hit the ground running next season.
Otherwise we get all this crap again about transition season and players not used to the lge.
If Jol is going to stay in the summer I say spend now and build for next season. Otherwise we will again be waiting till Aug 31st to see who will be making up the team next season.

MJG

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: Admin on January 23, 2013, 08:47:44 AM
why are we holding back on funds

Perhaps because a large number of our current squad will leave at the end of the season due to their age and their current contracts expiring, and therefore significant investment will be required to replace them. Buying short-term cover in January at over-inflated fees and higher wages would undoubtedly eat into any summer budget, meaning we could well be in a more dire position than we are now. It's a gamble for sure, but I'm positive that if no investment, however small, is forthcoming during this window, it's a calculated risk that both Mack and Mo are prepared to take.

Rebuilding a squad doesn't happen in 18 months; reducing the average age of the squad doesn't happen in 18 months. Perhaps the summer clear out and a planned hefty investment are all part of the bigger picture. It may also be why there's not much noise coming out of the club with regards our league position, form or the dreaded vote of confidence for Jol?

It could simply be that Mo, Mack and Jol all see this season as a season of transition, and it is all part of a much bigger plan.
I would fully expect a manager who would have had five windows to turn around the squad to say on Sept 1st 2013 "this is my team"
A manager starting his 3rd season should not have any players he don't want in his squad.

Huxley

I think too many people have been playing championship manager, with the occasional no-one-will-know-i-cheated-with "add manager" to get rid of old players for a few mil. The problem is that even if we have found a person with the right qualities (both sporting and personality wise), agreed in principle a transfer prices and wages, the parent club will not sell an important player if they do not have a replacement lined up. Unless of course they are broke or the player is a bad egg, or we have offered way over the odds.

Look at M'villa for example, sportingly a very good player, however lifestyle wise does come with baggage. Seems even the young players at Fulham are very mature and sensible, perhaps the rediculous hat or shoe collection, but no big party animals or troublemakers. Some clubs actually use private investigators to look at off field behaviour of players, as they dont want a Balotelli-like trouble maker.

Though frustrating at not knowing what is happening, Fulham is doing teh right thing, keeping transfers secret. If you found a bargain property you wouldn't be going around town telling everyone until the deal was signed.

jarv

Southfield white has hit the nail on the head. These days, activity (especially in january) has to be kept secret. Of course there are many money grabbing agents who will leak it to create interest and start a bidding war.

One thing must be already clear to the powers that be, there is more money coming in to the premier next season so it is critical to stay there in order to achieve future goals. So, I am hoping some strengthening will be announced very soon, when it is a done deal. next hurdle will be Mr. Jol getting selection and tactics right for survival and then we can look forward to a future in the premier and an expanded stadium.

Those new players? As everyone knows, a decent creative CM and someone, just someone with PACE.

Berserker

I've got a bit bored with the transfer window now. I started off all bright eyed and bushey tailed, now i've just reconciled myself that we won't get anybody suitable to our current plight, therefore we will have to hope for the best.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

timmyg

"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

WhiteJC

the problem for a team who wants to buy a player in January is that the price tends to be inflated as typically the buying team is in trouble and wants new blood to get them out of it.
the problem for the selling team is that often its only their best players who others want, not the dead wood or trouble makers, also they then have the problem of replacing the player they've just sold.

typically January is not a time when long-term players are brought into the team, the only exception I can think of is Brede

jmh

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 23, 2013, 04:44:01 PM
typically January is not a time when long-term players are brought into the team, the only exception I can think of is Brede
We signed Davies in January.  Sidwell.  Dempsey (though not a parallel situation since it was the MLS offseason).

RolandAJ

Quote from: Berserker on January 23, 2013, 01:53:29 PM
I've got a bit bored with the transfer window now. I started off all bright eyed and bushey tailed, now i've just reconciled myself that we won't get anybody suitable to our current plight, therefore we will have to hope for the best.

I've felt my positive attitude toward the window waning too.  Hang in there! 
I keep telling myself that with a run of good health along with a couple key CM and perhaps CB moves to get everyone into more natural positions we will be just fine.
As for MJ, I still feel the trust.  Losing Dembele really hurt.  Makes a good argument for closing the Summer circus before the season, so fans won't have to suffer losing a key player during a good run!

Best to look up the table for now.

I'll be glued to my iPhone on the 31st.

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?