watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Be careful what you wish for

Started by Peabody, January 25, 2013, 12:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

With all the recent debate about our Manager and now that it would appear that they are going to activate another year. Will this stifle the arguements, I somehow doubt it.

To all of you who want a managerial change, will you allow me to take you back to season 1967/68. We were in the old Division 1 and as per usual, we were fighting against relegation, which ineviatbly happened. We had a young inexperienced manager and by golly, if the internet had been available, I can just imagine what some of you would have been saying. Words like useless Geordie has to go and how bad has he got us playing. You all know what I mean. Anyway, he was sacked and what happened to him? He went from us to Ipswich and then England. Of course, I am talking about Bobby Robson, now I am not suggesting that Martin Jol will be as an illustrious manager as our Bobby, merely pointing out to be careful what you wish for, because, without doubt, some of you lot would have crucified the late great Bobby Robson.

epsomraver

Sorry Mr P but you really cannot compare the two. It was Robson's first job at a club where he played at, there had been a mass sell off of players to QPR the whole management set up was different then and it was over 50 years  ago.

TonyGilroy

Some managers fit a particular club at a particular time whilst others don't. It's not always a case of being good or bad.

Robson got what he needed at Ipswich which was a stable, well run club with understanding patient owners. We were a failing shambles and needed to drop at least one division.

I'm still on the fence with Jol - I probably just need a couple of good results to get back on board but right now I'm far from convinced. He may be in that group of experienced managers who change jobs regularly without quite succeeding or failing.

These are the guys that get sacked but reemployed a few months later. The talent pool seems to mostly consist of the untried and the recently failed and the risk therefore is that you swop one failure for another.

epsomraver

Oh no I agree again with you, I must go and lie down 093.gif

TonyGilroy

Quote from: epsomraver on January 25, 2013, 02:08:40 PM
Oh no I agree again with you, I must go and lie down 093.gif

I think we should just post jointly from now on.

NogoodBoyo

I agree too.  Must be something very wrong here.
Nogood "preferring to agree to disagree, isit" boyo

cottage cheese

Jol wants to play a stylish way of football and I respect him for that. However, we do not have the players really anymore to play that way and that is why its just not working. It seems he dsnt know what to do at times going by the wigan and blackpool home games. Its not his fault as the club havnt backed him for whatever reason.

Berbatov was a great signing but like everyone said Dembele was thought to be staying which would have helped the team with his midfield grit to allow berbs and ruiz to run the show. Things went sour and we do not have a midfield who can control games at times. Berbatov has thus taken it upon himself to get the ball rolling which has taken the bite out of our attack as he no longer is in the box for the majority of times. Fast forward 15 games and only two wins and about 2-3 shots at game proves it.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 25, 2013, 03:30:12 PM
I agree too.  Must be something very wrong here.
Nogood "preferring to agree to disagree, isit" boyo

Cross the streams

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Peabody

You say you cant compare the two situations, that is most likely right but my point is that if the internet had have been around at the time and going on what were woeful perfomances leading up to relegation, I hate to think what some of you would have said about Sir Bobby, there can be little doubt that some of the commebnts made about MJ would have been a lot worse.