watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (24.04.10)

Started by White Noise, April 24, 2010, 10:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/793312/DUFF-AND-MOYES-BACK-ROY-FOR-ENGLAND.html

DUFF AND MOYES BACK ROY FOR ENGLAND

Fulham winger and rival boss rate Hodgson

DUFF: Big fan of club boss Hodgson

By Aidan Magee, 24/04/2010

FABIO CAPELLO'S job as England boss may not be up for grabs just yet, but if there's a snap election there would certainly be one serious candidate... Roy Hodgson.

As his Fulham side stand on the brink of the Europa League final, the former Inter Milan boss's stock has never been higher.

Now Everton boss David Moyes and Fulham winger Damien Duff have added their voices to the 'Vote for Hodgson' campaign.

Duff, rejuvinated by Hodgson after a couple of seasons of misery at Newcastle, believes his coach should have been given the job 10 years ago.

The Republic of Ireland star played for Hodgson at Blackburn in the late 1990s before they were reunited last September when he arrived at Craven Cottage.

"My first full season at Blackburn was under Roy," says Duff. "That was a while ago now but even 10 years ago I fancied him to be England manager one day."

And Moyes, who faces Hodgson at Goodison today, can only agree.

"I do think he'd be a contender because the international job would suit him," says Moyes.

"I have a feeling it's something he'd enjoy. He'd be proud as punch to get the opportunity. He's passionate about his country.

"He has European and international experience, and also conducts himself well in the media. He also knows how to deal with the players on the training pitch."

Hodgson has restored his reputation after his first Premier League experience at Blackburn, where Moyes believes he was shown the door far too swiftly.

Adds Moyes: "Maybe he suffered because the expectations of Blackburn fans were a bit different to now because they'd recently won the title."

Expectations at Fulham centred on survival when Hodgson arrived in 2007.

But even after a seventh place finish in the Premier League last season, no-one could have dreamed Fulham could be just 90 minutes away from a first European final.

Duff is convinced his coach should be the logical choice for England, adding: "It's definitely not too late even now for him to manage England. He is well respected by everyone in the game, so why not?"

White Noise

http://1878theoriginals.com/everton-v-fulham-pre-match-report/

Everton v Fulham: Pre-Match Report

In recent years, this fixture has been an easy one to predict – the home side has run out victorious in all 14 Premier League meetings between the side, with the exception of the Blues' victory at Craven Cottage last season.

Everton go into the game with their impressive run of home form still intact, and should they win will remain unbeaten at Goodison for an eleventh consecutive fixture.

Fulham's impressive early-season form has petered out more recently, with a run of just one win in their past seven league games. Roy Hodgson has admitted that his focus is now on the Europa League, which may be the reason for their poor results of late. Indeed, the Fulham boss is likely to rest a number of first teamers as Sunday's clash falls between the two legs of the semi-final.

Team News

Everton: Johnny Heitinga will be a big miss after X-rays revealed a hairline fracture of his ankle. Dan Gosling and Marouane Fellaini are long term absentees. David Moyes will be hoping that Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell shake off knocks in time.

Fulham: England hopeful Bobby Zamora misses out with an Achilles injury. John Pantsil may make his return from a knee injury.

Probable Starting XI: Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Pienaar, Arteta, Neville, Bilyaletdinov, Cahill, Yakubu.

My prediction: Fulham clearly are distracted by their European exploits, and Roy Hodgson's team selection may well reflect that. Add into the equation the predictable nature of recent ties between the sides and I can only see a comfortable home win, 3-1 to Everton.

Clare Morris

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=7037

Up next: Everton (a)

by Dan on April 24, 2010

As Tor pointed out yesterday, Fulham just don't do well at Goodison Park. If tomorrow afternoon's game wasn't already an end-of-season outing what with the return leg against Hamburg the more pressing priority, our 22-match winless streak in the leg would ensure that there wouldn't be too much optimism on the trip up to Merseyside.

The journey shouldn't prove quite as ardurous as the 27 hour-marathon coach ride to Germany made necessary by the Icelandic volcanic eruptions, but – by the same token – the result is unlikely to be as satisfying. Everton might be a bit hit and miss but the canny David Moyes has navigated his side back towards European football despite an alarming start to the season and a dehabilitating injury crisis.

The Scot began his managerial career in the blue half of Merseyside with a rather routine victory over Fulham at Goodison and it has been largely serene progress ever since. Not many clubs could such a prodigious talent as Wayne Rooney and emerge stronger, but Everton arguably have. There are still the snipes at Bill Kenwright and worries over the long-term location of their ground but the Toffees remain a likeable, well-run football club with a hardworking side full of quality players.

This season the departure of Joleon Lescott looked to throw a serious spanner in the works but as the one-time World Cup hopeful's Manchester City career got off to a disastrous start, Everton went from strength to strength. Phil Jagielka, an emminently impressive figure even before he showed fortitude to return from a serious injury that had ruled him out of last season's FA Cup final, and Sylvain Distin have a forged a solid partnership even if the defence has let in a few more goals than a perfectionist like Moyes would like. The form of Leighton Baines at left back has been such that Fabio Capello simply had to take a look at him in England's last friendly international.

Midfield is probably the area where Moyes' men are strongest. Phil Neville, once a willing full-back is more often than not an engine room enforcer now (even if he won't necessary be relishing the prospect of meeting Dickson Etuhu again) and the guile comes from the exceptionally gifted Mikel Arteta, who must just be unlucky to be around at a time when Spain could field two world class midfield quartets, and the boundless energy of the Australian Tim Cahill. Even without Fellaini and Rodwell tomorrow afternoon, Fulham will have to be on their guard. You wouldn't bet against the hitherto quiet Diniyar Bilyaletdinov sparkling in the summer sunshine either.

Fulham fans will know all about the predatory instincts of Louis Saha, rescued from the end of a Manchester United career that seemed to have gone stale. The French striker has repaid Everton's faith with thirteen league goals in a season where he has still had his injury problems. He might start on the bench with Yakubu, who also a habit of finding the net against Fulham, preferred in the lone striker's role.

Roy Hodgson has resisted the temptation to rotate too wildly in recent weeks but he probably won't want to risk injuries to key personnel ahead of the Europa League semi-final second leg. Bobby Zamora will definitely miss tomorrow's encounter as Fulham's physios try to get the striker right for the visit of Hamburg, but other changes are in offing as well. John Pantsil is pushing for a place in the starting line-up but with Chris Baird suspended for Thursday, the Northern Irish utility man might just keep his place at right back.

Hodgson's preferred Paul Konchesky to the on-loan Nicky Shorey at left back since the former returned from injury but with such a big game on the horizon it will be interesting to see if Shorey gets a run out. His lack of football in recent weeks might rob Fulham of the chance of signing such quality cover for Konchesky on a permanent basis in the summer. Chris Smalling could deputise for Brede Hangeland at centre back, while any number of alterations might be made to the midfield. Jonathan Greening or Bjorn Helge Riise could replace Simon Davies and Clint Dempsey might be handed the opportunity to get some more match sharpness behind either David Elm or Stefano Okaka.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Shorey, Hughes, Smalling; Etuhu, Murphy, Riise, Duff; Dempsey; Okaka. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Stoor, Dikgacoi, Gera, Nevland, Elm.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=7039

Fulham's European charge

by Dan on April 24, 2010

I've never really warmed to Dara O'Briain as a comedian but find his Guardian column on a Saturday strangely compelling. He's squeezed in a snippet about Fulham today:

To compound this error, we move to error No2: "With all of the major business pretty much done and dusted all we have ahead of us is the sight of John Terry, vindicated, as he raises silverware above his head in triumph."

Whoo, that doesn't make happy reading for the author. Terry spent a crucial part of the Saturday protesting his innocence on the long walk to the tunnel, looking much less vindicated than I had hinted.

No, we have so much more to look forward to; not least Fulham's charge for Europa League silverware. If they win, I would rank it alongside some of the greatest achievements of any English team in Europe, and I'm including some of the real high-points here.

In the knock-out rounds Fulham have beaten the holders, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and the German champions, Wolfsburg. With Hamburg and either Atlético Madrid or Liverpool to play, this is a set of scalps that would sit very well with, say, Aston Villa's European Cup in 1981 (opponents: Valur, Dynamo Berlin, Dynamo Kiev, Anderlecht, Bayern Munich), Nottingham Forest in 1979 (Oster, Arges Pitesti, Dynamo Berlin, Ajax and Hamburg) and Liverpool's in 1977 (Crusaders, Trabzonspor, St Etienne, Zurich and Borussia Mönchengladbach).

None of which is intended to diminish those clubs, but to elevate the achievement of Roy Hodgson's team.

White Noise

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/09-10/reports/Fulham%28h%29.php

Match Preview

Everton play their penultimate home game of the season this Sunday as the surprise package of the Europa League this season, Fulham, come to Merseyside on the back of a protracted midweek journey to Germany and a hard-fought draw with Hamburg.

In addition to potential fatigue, Roy Hodgson's side will be further depleted by the loss of top scorer, Bobby Zamora, who has an Achilles injury that will see him watching this one from the sidelines.

The Blues, meanwhile, will again be without John Heitinga after it was revealed that the Dutchman suffered a hairine fracture to his ankle at Villa Park 10 days ago but apart from long-term absentees, Marouane Fellaini and Dan Gosling, he is David Moyes's only injury concern.

That means that Tim Cahill is almost certain to start his 200th match for Everton in all competitions since joining the club from Millwall in 2004 and in that time the Australian has cemented himself as one of the Blues' most important players. Though his injury-time goal at Blackburn last week may yet prove to have been in vain in terms of European qualification, it at least keeps Moyes's side in contention going into the final three games of the campaign.

Realistically, they will need to take maximum points from those last three fixtures — certainly achievable given their record against Fulham (the Cottagers haven't won a league game at Goodison since the incpetion of the Premier League), the precedent set by their win at Stoke last season and the fact that the final game will be against already-relegated Portsmouth — and hope that Aston Villa don't pick up more than two points and Liverpool don't earn more than three.

Tim Cahill: In line for his 200th start for Everton

The threat from the below is now just two-fold, with only Birmingham and Fulham themselves able to prevent the Blues from finishing in at least 8th place. In both cases, though, those clubs would need to win all three of their games and Everton would have to lose all three of theirs.

Lyndon Lloyd

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=269790&cc=5739

Moyes hails Cahill impact

Team Stat Comparison
   Everton    Fulham
Matches Played    35    34
Table Position    8    12
Points    54    43
Goal Difference    9    -2
Goals for *    1.9    0.6
Goals against *    1.2    1.5
Last 5    W-D-D-D-W    D-D-W-L-L
Last 5 home    D-W-W-W-W    D-W-L-W-W
Last 5 away    W-D-D-W-D    D-L-L-D-D
*  Goals per match - home matches for home club and away matches for away club
·  Club Stats:  Everton  |  Fulham
Competition Stats
     Everton    Fulham
Goals    Louis Saha 13    Bobby Zamora 8
Reds    Diniyar Bilyaletdinov 1    Kagisho Evidence Dikgacoi 1
Yellows    Steven Pienaar 8    Danny Murphy 5
·   Club Squads : Everton | Fulham
Last Five Matches in Competition
Everton    Fulham
A: Blackburn Rovers 2-3    H: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0
A: Aston Villa 2-2    A: Liverpool 0-0
H: West Ham United 2-2    H: Wigan Athletic 2-1
A: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0    A: Hull City 2-0
A: Manchester City 0-2    H: Manchester City 1-2
· Club Results: Everton | Fulham
Next Five Matches in Competition
Everton    Fulham
25/4    H: Fulham    25/4    A: Everton
1/5    A: Stoke City    2/5    H: West Ham United
9/5    H: Portsmouth    5/5    H: Stoke City
      9/5    A: Arsenal
· Club Fixtures: Everton | Fulham

Updated: April 24, 2010, 2:29 PM UK
David Moyes believes Tim Cahill has become part of Everton folklore with the midfielder set to make his 200th start for the club on Sunday.

Cahill, 30, is in a good run of form as well going into the home Barclays Premier League fixture with Fulham, having scored the winner against Blackburn last weekend.

Snapped up in the summer of 2004 from Millwall, the Australia international has turned out to be one of Moyes' best buys.

Moyes said: "I go to quite a lot of dinners and see the real legends of Everton. I see Peter Reid, Trevor Steven, Neville (Southall), Sharpy (Graeme Sharp) and Andy Gray.

"They are people who can rightly have that title. But if we are talking about this period and this decade Tim Cahill would come into that category.''

Moyes vividly recalls the day he decided to try to bring Cahill to Merseyside from Millwall after taking in a game at the partisan south-east London club.

"I remember the game well. It was in the play-offs and our car was getting battered by supporters,'' said the Everton boss.

"I knew a bit about Tim from my time as Preston manager. People looked but nobody really took a punt.

"We did and it has proved to be really good business for us. Tim's been an excellent player. He's gone with us and got better.

"You try and give boys opportunities. Everyone needs an opportunity in life. I was given an opportunity as a manager and you try and take it.

"For every signing a manager makes there will be one or two that won't work. That's the football world we are in.

"We do our homework and try to recruit the best we can. We look in the lower leagues as well.''

Clint Dempsey has declared Fulham's season a success no matter what happens over the coming week.

After their marathon trip to Hamburg, Fulham could hardly be blamed for looking slightly further ahead to Thursday's semi-final second leg with, arguably the biggest game in the club's history.

After a 0-0 draw in the first leg Fulham are fancied to progress to May's final, but even if they do not, having come so far in a competition they began back in July and with mid-table security already established in the Premier League, Dempsey feels his team-mates will deserve a pat on the back.

"No matter what happens now we have already had a good season,'' said the United States international.

"I am not surprised at how well we are doing. We work hard and when you put in work like that it shows.''

Danny Murphy has already gone public with Fulham's plan to rest key players at Goodison Park to try to keep some freshness in the team ahead of their date with destiny.

If past history is any guide, Nicky Shorey and Manchester United-bound Chris Smalling will both be involved against the Toffees, along with Stefano Okaka.

Fulham have never won at Everton in the league, a record which looks unlikely to be broken in the circumstances.

What Hodgson will be looking is some goals after going three matches without finding the net, even if the Fulham boss is not so concerned.

"They have not been easy games,'' he said. "We had a goalless draw at Liverpool, which most people would regard as a positive result, and drawing in Hamburg was pretty creditable as well.

"It was disappointing not to score against Wolves last weekend but maybe our minds were already on the Hamburg game.

"I am not too concerned because we have goals in the team.''

Hodgson can only hope that by making changes for such a tough game he is injecting his side with a group of players with something to prove.

Even for a manager of his capabilities though, it seems a pretty hard job given the proximity of the two games and what is at stake.

"We are so close to making the final and you don't get many opportunities to do that,'' said Dempsey. "It would be great for Fulham but it would also be great for the players who are putting in the work every week.

"We have come this far. We will be doing everything we can to make sure we are there.''

White Noise

PS

Fulham's European adventure has been one of the stories of the season. They are now just a game away from the final of the Europa League. With Thursday's second leg against Hamburg in mind, Roy Hodgson will, quite naturally, field a weakened side at Everton today. Equally certainly, he will not face punishment for resting key players before what he considers a more important match. Which prompts the question: When will the Premier League repay Mick McCarthy's Wolves that absurd £25,000 fine for an identical offence?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268562/Will-Wembley-waltz-club-dying-shame.html#ixzz0m3gD3xFj

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22210180%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

ROY WONDER FOR ENGLAND

THE PREM Star hails Euro hero Hodgson

Dave Kidd

Everton v FULHAM

Today, KO 3.00pm

Damien Duff claims he has been tipping Roy Hodgson as the next England manager for more than a decade.

And as Fulham stand poised for what would be the greatest achievement in their history - reaching the Europa League final - Duff is worried his boss could be poached by the FA to coach the Three Lions.

Duff played under Hodgson as a teenager at Blackburn and has now seen his career reinvigorated by the same man since last summer's move from Newcastle.

And as Fulham prepare for Thursday's European semi-final decider with Hamburg, ex-Chelsea winger Duff claims Hodgson, 62, may still succeed Fabio Capello.

Duff said: "My first full season at Blackburn was under Roy. That was a while ago now, but even more than 10 years ago I fancied him to be England manager one day.

"Whether he has ever got close, I don't know, but he is a top manager and coach and I think all the lads here would back me up on that. You can see that the work he does is paying off on the pitch. It's definitely not too late even now for him to manage England.

"I love working with him and I'm not alone in thinking that. He is well respected by everyone in the game, so why not?

"For now, though, we would like him to stay at Fulham."

Hodgson, who led Switzerland to the 1994 World Cup finals, was on a three-man FA shortlist to replace Kevin Keegan as England boss in 2001, but missed out to Sven Goran Eriksson.

Since arriving at the Cottage in December 2007, Hodgson has saved Fulham from relegation and revived the careers of several players, including Republic of Ireland star Duff.

Duff, 31, seemed a broken man just a year ago when his own goal sealed Newcastle's exit from the Premier League - but now he stands on the brink of his first European final, after being part of a Chelsea squad which missed out in three Champions League semis.

He admitted: "What I am experiencing now is a world apart from the grind of a relegation battle and I've been in sides that have gone down twice.

"This year has been like a dream come true after the disappointing time I had at Newcastle. I always loved the game but I suppose when you're not happy you carry that out on the pitch.

"Those times are now long gone and fair play to Newcastle, they're back up in the Premier League.

"From a personal point of view, I wanted to get my career back on track and start playing the football I know I can produce.

We have done well in Europe and we've also done well in the league considering the amount of games we've played."

Fulham visit today Everton today, after three straight 0-0 draws.

But Duff is convinced they can turn on the magic at Craven Cottage, just as they did to knock out Juventus, holders Shakhtar Donetsk and German champions Wolfsburg in previous rounds.

He said: "It was a good result to get a 0-0 in Hamburg but in a way it wasn't a bad result for them either, because we didn't manage to get an away goal. We know that if we win the game at home, we are through.

"We have an important game against Everton but we will without doubt be looking for another special home night on Thursday."

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Arsenal-set-to-make-fresh-move-for-Fulham-star-Brede-Hangeland-article403911.html

Arsenal set to launch fresh swoop for Fulham star

Published 22:45 24/04/10 By Steve Stammers

Arsenal have renewed their interest in Brede Hangeland as boss ­Arsene Wenger looks to revamp his squad in the summer.

It is five seasons since they won a major trophy – and Wenger has decided he needs to beef up his team without losing the style that has won them so many admirers during his 14-year reign.

Norwegian international Hangeland – who will be 29 in June – has been outstanding for Fulham as the west London club have reached the semi-finals of the ­Europa League as well as establishing themselves as a Premier League outfit.

Wenger will have Hangeland watched at Everton today as he draws up his short list of targets.

Fulham will be reluctant to sell and will put ­Hangeland in the ­£10million bracket. But that will not dissuade Arsenal, who have given Wenger close to £40m to spend – as well as use any cash he can ­generate through sales.

Gael Clichy also looks set for Spain in a £7.5m deal with Barcelona while Tomas Rosicky could return to ­Germany to either Borussia Dortmund or Stuttgart.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-and-Fulham-to-get-just-12-000-tickets-if-they-reach-the-Europa-League-final-article403965.html

Liverpool and Fulham to get just 12,000 tickets for Europa League final

Published 22:45 24/04/10 By Andrew Warsaw

Liverpool and Fulham will get an identical 12,650 ticket allocation if both clubs reach next month's Europa League final in Hamburg – only half the stadium's capacity.

Despite a huge discrepancy in both clubs' average home attendance, Uefa have ­decided that they will be ­treated equally and that the rest of the tickets will go to neutral fans who, even more remarkably, will be given a bigger single quota.

The Hamburg Arena (above) holds just over 57,000, but for the final the standing area - permitted in Germany – will be converted to seating, ­reducing the capacity by about 6,000.

The greatest single ­allocation will go to German residents and Uefa officials.
Click here to find out more!

Liverpool and Fulham both start slight favourites in next month's semi-final second legs with Fulham – who have never lost a home match in Europe – locked at 0-0 with Hamburg and Liverpool 1-0 down against Atletico Madrid.

While Fulham will have no complaints at their allocation for the final, Liverpool are ­furious at what they perceive is Uefa naivety given the size of the club and the thousands of ticketless fans likely to ­descend on Hamburg.

Fans groups fear a massive black market, with Liverpool fans outnumbering those of Fulham 3-to-1.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Roy-Hodgson-is-the-right-man-to-replace-Fabio-Capello-as-England-boss-says-David-Moyes-article404031.html

Moyes: Hodgson is the right man to replace Capello

Published 06:00 25/04/10 By Simon Mullock

David Moyes is backing Roy Hodgson to become the next England manager.

Everton boss Moyes believes Hodgson would be the perfect choice to eventually succeed Fabio Capello after winning friends and influencing people in the Premier League with Fulham.

Moyes, who first got to know Hodgson when he went to study the 62-year-old's coaching methods when he was in charge of Udinese in 2001, faces his friend when Fulham visit Goodison Park today.

And he said: "I think someone like Roy would be perfect for the England job.

"If and when Fabio Capello decides to stand down, I am sure that Roy Hodgson's name will be right back in the frame like it was a few years ago.

"He's a good age to be an international manager and I've always seen Roy as an extremely proud Englishman who would love to serve his country. Whenever I have spoken to him, he has always been very supportive of his country.

"He's managed big clubs abroad, he's got a wealth of European and international experience, and he conducts himself very well in the media. I also know from watching him work that he is a coach who loves to get out on the training pitch – and players respect that.

"I think Roy would be a terrific choice as England manager if it became available."

Hodgson has coached Switzerland, Finland and the United Arab Emirates during a 35-year managerial career that has seen him manage clubs in Italy, Sweden, Switzerland and Norway.

After saving Fulham from relegation two years ago, the Londoners qualified for Europe for the first time last season and are on the brink of the Europa League final after a goalless draw in Hamburg

Moyes added: "I knew Roy when I was doing my pro licence. He was manager of Udinese and I went out there to do a club study. He took me under his wing and that's why I have a lot of affection for him.

"Roy and his wife were really good to me, taking me out for dinner two or three nights a week, and for that I will always be thankful to him.

"But I've got to say that I thought his coaching methods were really good as well.

"He knows exactly what he wants from his players. It's no surprise to me that he is doing such a great job at Fulham. I think people over here now recognise that he is a really top manager.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-season-a-big-success-whatever-happens-next-says-Clint-Dempsey-article404115.html

Fulham season a big success whatever happens next, says Clint Dempsey

Published 06:00 25/04/10 By Bill Mills

Clint Dempsey has declared Fulham's season a success no matter what happens over the coming week.

After their marathon trip to Hamburg, Roy Hodgson's men are back on the road again tomorrow at Everton.

Fulham could hardly be blamed for looking further ahead to Thursday's Europa League semi-final second leg with Hamburg, arguably the biggest game in the club's history.

After a 0-0 draw in the first leg Fulham are fancied to progress to May's final, but even if they don't, Dempsey feels his team-mates deserve a massive pat on the back for their efforts.

"No matter what happens now we have already had a good season," said the United States international.

"I am not surprised at how well we are doing. We work hard and when you put in work like that it shows."

Midfield star Danny Murphy has already gone public with Fulham's plan to rest key players at Goodison Park to try to keep some freshness in the team ahead of their date with destiny later this week. Fulham have never won at Everton in the Premier League, a record which looks unlikely to be broken in the circumstances.

What Hodgson will be looking for is some goals after going three matches without finding the net. "They have not been easy games," he said. "But I am not concerned because we have goals in the team."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/794268/Hull-ace-is-man-to-rebuild-Neil-Lennons-Hoops-team-around.html

Jimmy Bullard tops Celtic's summer wish list

Neil Lennon in vow over star Celtic midfielder if he stays as boss.

By John McGarry, 25/04/2010

The Celtic caretaker boss sees the dynamic Hull City midfielder as the man to re-build his Hoops team around.

And he will try and persuade the 31-year-old Londoner to come to the SPL with the Tigers doomed to relegation from the Premier League.

Lennon knows he will face stiff competition from top-flight English clubs for Bullard's signature.

But he believes he'll add much-needed drive and goals to his team.

Bullard joined the Tigers from Fulham for £5million in January 2009, but with Hull in danger of going into financial free-fall he could leave for £3m.

Lennon is also keen on Scunthorpe striker Gary Hooper, but a Celts return for Scott McDonald is unlikely.

Meanwhile Glenn Loovens insists he could be back in the frame for Celtic's visit to Tannadice today.

Lennon has had to depend on rookie Josh Thompson and injured Darren O'Dea, with Loovens, Jos Hooiveld and Thomas Rogne out.

Loovens said: "It has been a very frustrating time and it has been tough for the young guys at the back.

"They're talented players. But we didn't play that well for a while and that makes it hard for the defenders.

"I should be okay to be involved with the squad at Dundee United. I'm determined to help the team have a good end to the season.

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on April 25, 2010, 06:52:47 AM
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/794268/Hull-ace-is-man-to-rebuild-Neil-Lennons-Hoops-team-around.html

Jimmy Bullard tops Celtic's summer wish list

Neil Lennon in vow over star Celtic midfielder if he stays as boss.

By John McGarry, 25/04/2010

The Celtic caretaker boss sees the dynamic Hull City midfielder as the man to re-build his Hoops team around.

And he will try and persuade the 31-year-old Londoner to come to the SPL with the Tigers doomed to relegation from the Premier League.

Lennon knows he will face stiff competition from top-flight English clubs for Bullard's signature.

But he believes he'll add much-needed drive and goals to his team.

Bullard joined the Tigers from Fulham for £5million in January 2009, but with Hull in danger of going into financial free-fall he could leave for £3m.

Lennon is also keen on Scunthorpe striker Gary Hooper, but a Celts return for Scott McDonald is unlikely.

Meanwhile Glenn Loovens insists he could be back in the frame for Celtic's visit to Tannadice today.

Lennon has had to depend on rookie Josh Thompson and injured Darren O'Dea, with Loovens, Jos Hooiveld and Thomas Rogne out.

Loovens said: "It has been a very frustrating time and it has been tough for the young guys at the back.

"They're talented players. But we didn't play that well for a while and that makes it hard for the defenders.

"I should be okay to be involved with the squad at Dundee United. I'm determined to help the team have a good end to the season.
Who gives a sh!t!!!  :046:  :002:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/794276/FABIO-CAPELLO-will-name-his-final-squad-for-this-summerrsquos-World-Cup-on-June-1-mdash-but-could-there-be-a-surprise-name-in-his-23-man-selection.html

WORLD CUP SQUAD WATCH WITH POWERADE

Can Bent or Zamora book their ticket?

24/04/2010

FABIO CAPELLO won't want to be going to South Africa a striker light... but who will make the plane alongside the certainty, Wayne Rooney.

Emile Heskey, Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe have all featured under England's Italian coach, but there may be one other place available, with Darren Bent and Bobby Zamora the contenders.

Capello will name his finals squad for this summer's World Cup on June 1 - but which one of Bent or Zamora could force their way on to the plane?

A look at their Opta Premier League stats from this season gives Bent a clear edge, with more goals, a better chance conversion rate and more shots. But Bent has had his chance with Capello before and just look at Zamora's chances created!

Would that be enough to persuade Fabio?

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/dawson-in-but-fabio-will-struggle-to-build-bridges-1953688.html

Dawson in but Fabio will struggle to build Bridges

Neville and Zamora to make 30-man squad as time runs out for City left-back

By Steve Tongue

Sunday, 25 April 2010

Manchester City's Wayne Bridge has one more week to make himself available for this summer's World Cup squad before Fabio Capello pencils in the list of 30 names that must be submitted to Fifa a fortnight on Tuesday. Capello is prepared to wait until the start of next week for a definite decision on whether Bridge (who limped off injured at Arsenal last night) can bring himself to share hotels and dressing-rooms with his former friend and captain John Terry, who is alleged to have had an affair with Bridge's former girlfriend. There is no sign, however, that the normally mild-mannered Bridge is inclined to change his stance.

Even in a week's time it would be wise for England's head coach to use pencil rather than ink for his provisional list. His mantra has always been that players need to be fit and playing regularly, but at present almost a third of the contenders are not fulfilling one or other of those requirements. There is frustration, too, that the 30 names must be faxed the day before the Europa League final, which could involve Liverpool and Fulham, and four days before the FA Cup final between Chelsea and Portsmouth, which features five England players.

Further injuries in the run-in are always possible, at a stage when there is insufficient time for serious ones to heal properly; it was this week four years ago that Wayne Rooney crumpled to the turf at Stamford Bridge with a broken metatarsal, and England's talisman was missing at Old Trafford yesterday with a groin injury which will keep him out for "two to three weeks", according to his club manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Where England are unusual is that with no friendlies from 3 March to 24 May, there are at least four players under consideration who have not even been in the squad all season. Two are comparative old-stagers not seen since 2007, Gary Neville and Ledley King, and two are new faces, Michael Dawson and Bobby Zamora.

In Neville's case, vast experience (85 caps and five major tournaments) has to be balanced against a decline in pace that could be exposed by faster and younger opponents, as Bayern Munich's Franck Ribéry demonstrated recently. United team-mate Wes Brown failed to nail down the right-back position at Old Trafford during Neville's long absence and has only just resumed training after suffering the metatarsal curse. Brown's advantage, like another absentee, Joleon Lescott, is that he can cover full-back as well as another area beset by problems, central defence. Rio Ferdinand's injury problems and John Terry's form are of equal concern and have brought Everton's Phil Jagielka and Dawson into the picture.

The other great question, which will surely have to be answered in the negative, is whether Ledley King – restricted to one game a week and virtually no training at Tottenham – can be taken to a tournament in which England's fixture schedule, if successful, would run Saturday-Friday-Wednesday-Saturday. Capello, a great admirer of the Spurs man, will conclude that his inclusion is impossible if there are any doubts about another central defender's fitness, which will almost certainly be the case.

Ashley Cole's proposed return for Chelsea today will be carefully monitored, as will the performance of the Everton left-back Leighton Baines against Fulham. Baines and Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock will contest the role as Cole's understudy, assuming that Bridge is not in contention.

The one area of the team where names for the final 23 can confidently be written down today is goalkeeper. David James, Robert Green and Joe Hart will go barring injury. With James involved in the Cup final, a stand-by will be required for the list; presumably Blackburn's Paul Robinson.

Midfield offers an abundance of wide players and a reliable clutch of central ones that could be augmented by James Milner or Joe Cole if injury struck. Aaron Lennon, first choice on the right until a 16-week absence which ended yesterday, must prove he can recover his speed and vim, as Theo Walcott and Shaun Wright-Phillips have been best used as impact subs.

Fulham's Zamora, once thought to lack international quality and still hardly prolific in the Premier League (eight goals this season), is still pushing the inconsistent Carlton Cole for what may be a fifth striker's spot in South Africa. Emile Heskey's role at Villa appears to be as a late (often very late) substitute for John Carew, and Peter Crouch is being squeezed out at Tottenham by a rejuvenated Roman Pavlyuchenko.

No wonder Rooney appears to be stooping at times; the weight of a nation's hopes is pressing down more heavily than ever on his shoulders.

Squad (probable): James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Hart (Birmingham), Robinson (Blackburn); Johnson (Liverpool), Neville (Manchester Utd), Ferdinand (Manchester Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham), Brown (Manchester Utd), Lescott (Everton), Dawson (Tottenham), A Cole (Chelsea), Baines (Everton); Lennon (Tottenham), Walcott (Arsenal), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Milner (Aston Villa), J Cole (Chelsea), Young (Aston Villa); Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Barry (Manchester City), Carrick (Manchester United); Rooney (Manchester United), Crouch (Tottenham), Heskey (Aston Villa), Defoe (Tottenham), Cole (West Ham), Zamora (Fulham).

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/132328/Danny-Murphy-Reaching-Europa-League-Final-is-highlight-of-my-career-/

DANNY MURPHY: REACHING EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL IS HIGHLIGHT OF MY CAREER

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

25th April 2010

By Steve Morgan

DANNY Murphy has won a Treble with Liverpool and represented England but he would rank leading Fulham out in the Europa League Final as the highlight of his career.

The midfielder, 33, is within sight of fulfilling his dream, with Roy Hodgson looking to avoid injuries at Everton today ahead of their finely-balanced semi-final second leg against Hamburg on Thursday.

"It's been a wonderful season in so many ways and I think leading the team out in the final would be the most special moment of my career," said Murphy.

The final of the competition is back at Hamburg's Nordbank Arena and Murphy has fond memories of Germany – after beating Alaves to win the UEFA Cup in Dortmund during the 2000-2001 season when Liverpool won three trophies.

"It's been an adventure this season in a different way because the expectation of the

club is not to get this far. At Liverpool, though, you're expected to win it," said Murphy, who could be facing his former club in the final if Rafa Benitez's men overturn Atletico Madrid's 1-0 lead.

The Fulham playmaker added: "The adventure is not over for us yet, not by any stretch.

"But at the end of the season, no matter what happens, we'll look back with a great deal of fondness and with great memories of the Europa League campaign."

Bobby Zamora is set to miss the trip to Goodison Park to rest his Achilles ahead of the return with Hamburg.

However, John Pantsil could be back as he was ineligible for Europe.

ScalleysDad

So after suffering the meda Liverpool love in we now have the UEFA administrators slicing the ticket allocation. I really hope the Club handle this potential debacle better than the Hamburg home allocation. Near the end of this amazing rollercoaster its a shame, or indeed a sham, that half the stadium is effectively out of bounds.......