more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (02/02/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 02, 2013, 04:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Against All Odds: Fulham to defy the odds at the Cottage

Manchester United are odds-on for their trip to the capital this evening but Paul Robinson thinks that Fulham could spring a surprise in what should be a thrilling game live on ESPN at 17:30.

A bright start to the week has turned dark with four losers in a row, however I've adopted a slightly new approach and been looking to take on shorter priced selections, so although our strike rate may go down slightly, profits should start to go up.

Fulham picked up a much needed victory at home to West Ham last week and after sliding down the league table, they've now lost just one of their lost four, and that came away at the defending champions. Dimitar Berbatov netted in the West Ham game but he's been ruled out with injury today - which is clearly a blow - however his manager does have other options in his squad to choose from.

Martin Jol's side have traditionally been strong at Craven Cottage and after a small blip that saw them lose three from five, they have got things a bit more on track recently, avoiding defeat in four out of their last five, including two victories.

Manchester United don't need an introduction as we all know how impressive they've been this term, well, in front of goal anyway. The Red Devils have scored an incredible 59 goals in 24 matches and despite conceding 31 themselves, they have a seven point gap at the top of the table.

Their form away from Old Trafford isn't exactly bombproof though. They've only won three of their last six in the league, losing at Norwich and being held by Swansea and Spurs. Sir Alex Ferguson's side kept just the single clean sheet during that period and they did fire a blank themselves.

Clearly, Manchester United are the worthy favourites for this one but I feel  their odds are a little cramped at around the 1.64 mark. Like a few of my selections recently, it's more a value bet than anything else, and that's why I'm making them my lay of the day. 

Recommended Bet
Lay Man United v Fulham @ 1.64

http://betting.betfair.com/football/daily-tipping/against-all-odds-fulham-to-defy-the-odds-at-the-cottage-020213-35.html?

WhiteJC

Vinny's Fulham Report

Fulham 3 West Ham United 1

Fulham recorded their first home victory of 2013 as West Ham were brushed aside and continue to struggle.

The downward spiral continues for West Ham who at this moment in time are displaying what many would call 'relegation form'.

Earlier in the season I was making excuses and defending some of the poor results due to our injury list and lack of quality through our side but the team that started last night was as good as we can expect and if they cannot get results against teams such as struggling Fulham then we are in clearly in a bit of trouble.

This was another toothless away performance and similar to what we have been treated to most of the season. The first half display was absolute dogshit and we were truly dismal.

Like many times this season we came out in the second half and started really well and took the game to the opposition. We scored a neat equaliser but a then gave away a goal just minute later which turned up the levels of frustration by some way.

Allardyce clearly likes his side to get as many crosses into the area as possible which is fine if you have players in the box that will attack the ball but we do not. Between Chamakh and Carlton Cole neither offer a threat in the area and when Andy Carroll came on he was almost deployed as a right winger as Allardyce still refused to change his system.

I don't know what it is with this formation Allardyce likes playing. He seems intent on playing it even if it is clear that we need to change things up. He would rather play players out of position just to ensure we can play three centre midfielders and one up front. Even last season when he was putting Tomkins in midfield it just showed that he cannot seem to play any other way.

Allardyce didn't even give a post-match interview, instead he sent out assistant Neil McDonald to field the questions. I can only imagine that he thought it would be silly to use the same excuses over again because he should be coming out and giving us an honest assessment of his players and his own failings. At least that would make me believe that he is aware that he needs to sort our form out because I feel he misses the point in a number of his interviews.

Last week Allardyce made no reference at all regarding leaving Matt Jarvis, Joe Cole and Mohamed Diame out of the team. The same against Manchester United away in the FA Cup replay. He bemoaned a penalty decision but made no comment on the wholesale changes he made.

I would like to understand why he feels we cannot play two strikers at any point. Is it just to accommodate his mate Kevin Nolan?

West Ham throughout their entire history have been poor away from home so I guess I should be used to the gutless performances and the way we just lay down when away from Upton Park. But in one week, £70 lighter, frustrated beyond belief and starting to fear ever so slightly for our chances this season I am finding it difficult to find positives in watching this team on the road.

The Team

According to Sam Allardyce we matched Arsenal apart from those opening moments of the second half last week. So if the team could 'match' Arsenal for so long you would have thought he would have played the same team?

No, he just reinstated the played that we all know should have been playing last week and still we are without reason to why they did not play.

Joe Cole, Matt Jarvis and Mohamed Diame were back in the team with Matthew Taylor, Jack Collison and Ricardo Vaz Te dropping out.

Up front Marouane Chamakh was back in the starting line up in place of Carlton Cole who dropped to the bench.

West Ham included new loan signing Emanuel Pogatetz on the substitute's bench and Andy Carroll returned to the squad after a long layoff.

The referee was 50 year old Chris Foy from Lancashire. He has already taken charge of us twice this season, away at Norwich and at home to Stoke.

First Half

We created a chance within the first thirty seconds as Demel burst down the right hand side and crossed for Chamakh who chested the ball down for Joe Cole to hit a shot which went wide.

Fulham's game plan was simple – get the ball to Dimitar Berbatov and whilst this seems like a negative comment on their play believe me it is not because he was superb in that first half. The way he was able to constantly make space for himself and ghost into areas where we could not pick him up was an example of a world class talent.

We were seeing a lot of the ball but doing little with it. Matt Jarvis on the left hand side was being marked tightly and prevented from finding the space to cross the ball into the area.

Winston Reid was penalised for fouling Hugo Rodallega and Fulham were awarded a free kick.

Damian Duff swung the ball into the area, Ruiz got a flick to the ball and Dimatar Berbatov was unmarked at the back post and planted his header past Jaaskelainen to make it 1-0 to Fulham.

Many of the West Ham players thought that Berbatov was offside and even Berbatov himself had a glance at the linesman but the goal stood and with just ten minutes on the clock we were a goal down.

Too many loose passes were allowing Fulham to get forward and whilst they were not creating what you would call clear cut chances they were getting shots off with Rodallega turning Reid and hitting a shot at goal just before the twenty minute mark.

We were attempting to knock the ball long for Chamakh but the Fulham defender Hangeland was simply too good for him in the air and won everything.

Jarvis created some space and gave the ball to Diame who crossed into the area for Kevin Nolan to meet the ball with header at the near post but he put his effort wide.

A strong challenge on Diame by Steve Sidwell led to handbags as Diame took exception to the tackle as a free kick was awarded and a yellow card given to the Fulham man.

Berbatov showed a great change of pace to burst past Nolan and hit a shot which clipped off the outside of the post as Fulham continued to look dangerous on the counter attack.

We did win a corner just before the half time whistle blew but nothing came of it. We had been dire in the first half and I do not recall us even having a shot on target.

Second Half

In a similar way to that against QPR a few weeks ago we came out all guns blazing for the second half and it did make you wonder why we cannot do this at the start of the first half too.

Three minutes in the second period and we were back on level terms.

A free kick was won and taken by Mark Noble who rolled the ball cleverly through to Kevin Nolan who finished well to make it 1-1. Nolan was scoring his 6th goal of the season.

If I am being honest I thought we would go on from there and win the game. The West Ham fans behind the goal were pumped up and the players looked confident after getting that goal.

So to concede just a minute later was nothing short of farcical.

Fulham attacked down the left hand side through Duff and he crossed the ball into the area which saw Hugo Rodallega get in between Reid and Tomkins to head home from close range.

2-1 down and back to square one. All that early enthusiasm was now gone and the remainder of our second half performance was exactly like our first – dogshit.

Allardyce made his first change on 56 minutes with Chamakh coming off and being replaced by Carlton Cole. What should have happened is that a midfielder was sacrificed and we went to 4-4-2 but I need to realise this is never going to happen.

Replacing Chamakh with Carlton Cole was just a like for like substitution. It did nothing to change the way we played and making a change like this seems pointless.

There were few chances and the disgruntlement amongst the West Ham supporters was clear with many venting their frustrations.

On 66 minutes Guy Demel was replaced by Matthew Taylor. Why I do not know. Taylor went to left back with O'Brien on the right.

The closest we came to scoring was on 70 minutes when Nolan spun away from Senderos and hit a shot which goal keeper Schwarzer diverted wide of the post. Many fans around me thought Carlton Cole should have been on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

The corner was taken by Joe Cole but it was poor and his corner kick taking throughout the entire game was as woeful as you are likely to see.

With just under fifteen minutes remaining, Joe Cole was taken off and replaced by Andy Carroll.

It didn't take Carroll long to get a strike at goal as Nolan set him up as he hit a low left foot shot which was held by Schwarzer.

I had no idea what type of formation we were playing at this point. With this introduction of Carroll I expected us to go with two up front but Carroll was clearly playing in midfield. I would welcome someone trying to explain this to me.

We never looked liked scoring again and there was no sustained pressure which you thought might see us get back on level terms.

Four minutes of added time were awarded by it was Fulham who took advantage of these minutes as they increased their lead.

A shot from Rodallega was parried by Jaaskelainen and Petric hit a shot which hit Jaaskelainen, then the post and went in off the unlucky Joey O'Brien.

Many of the West Ham fans made for the exits as the game was all but over.

Apart from a four minute spell at the start of the second half West Ham were never good enough to win this game.

Player Reviews

Jussi Jaaskelainen
With talk of bringing in another goal keeper before the transfer deadline day is out Jaaskelainen would have been looking to keep a clean sheet which he has not done for quite some time but again he saw another three goals go past him. For me he never looked comfortable and the second and third goals were poor to concede from his perspective. 5

Guy Demel
During this poor bout of form I haven't thought Demel has done too badly. Even in this one I thought he was getting forward well and making the right passes. I was surprised to see him come off and can only presume he was carrying a knock as he always is. 6

Winston Reid
Reid was given a torrid time by Hugo Rodallega who turned him inside out for most of the game. He gave away the foul which led to the first goal and he was far too easily beaten by Rodallega for the second goal. 4

James Tomkins
The ball was often rolled out to Tomkins by Jaaskelainen so he could distribute the ball forward but his passing was, is, and has been for a while really shocking. Mistimed too many of his headers and James Tomkins is going through a tough patch of form. 4

Joey O'Brien
Unlucky with the own goal but his overall performance was pretty forgettable and he never really got involved in the game. 4

Mark Noble
A passenger for most of the game. A clever free kick which led to the goal but his overall display I can only describe as weak. 4

Mohamed Diame
When he was on the ball and got himself going he was superb to watch and was the driving force of our midfield. At times he was skillfull and strong and the one who was most likely to make things happen. But then he just disappeared for large chunks and barely got the ball. Still yet to see Diame dominate a game for ninety minutes. Or even sixty. 6

Kevin Nolan
Scored his first goal since November which was welcome and should have scored in the first half from a header too. He was our main goal scoring threat all game long. So whilst I bang on about us playing 4-4-2, in a team who is so short on goals, do we take out our top scorer and main goal threat? 5

Joe Cole
His set pieces were atrocious and he needs to have a look at himself for such dreadful corners. They made Mark Noble's look the best on earth. He was in and out of the game and made little impact. 4

Matt Jarvis
Marked out of the game and had very little to offer. Looked a little better in the second half but he couldn't get the best of the Fulham right back. He has to do more. 4

Maroune Chamakh
No impact whatsoever. 4

Subs Used

Carlton Cole (on for Chamakh 56 mins)
No impact whatsoever. 4

Matthew Taylor (on for Demel 67 mins)
Offered support for Jarvis down the left but his crossing was very poor.

Andy Carroll(on for J.Cole 76 mins)
Not a midfielder. I don't know where Allardyce got that from.

Subs Not Used: Henderson, O'Neil, Pogatetz, Vaz Te

Goals: FUL: Berbatov (10), Rodellga (49) O'Brien [OG] (90) WHU: Nolan (48)

Bookings: FUL: Sidwell, Riether

Fulham: Schwarzer, Reither, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise, Karagounis, Sidwell, Berbatov, Duff, Ruiz, Rodallega
Subs: Etheridge, Baird, Petric, Frimpong, Hughes, Dejagah, Davies

Attendance: 24,791

Referee: Chris Foy, 6

Overall

It is easy to go into full scale panic mode every time we lose and some supporters can go a little over the top when talking about our form and current results. I have been calm about our situation and still believe we will stay up as I do not think we can go the rest of the season without winning a few games.

But I do accept that the current form is not good enough and we do not look like a side who are strong enough to go away from home and beat the opposition.

We have some tough away games coming up but it is the game against Aston Villa which could be very telling because if we do not pick up a win against Swansea on Saturday, that game is going to be massive.

Next Game – Swansea City (h), Saturday 2nd February, 3pm Kick Off

Any team who can play football have beaten us this season. We were unable to cope with Swansea earlier in the season and you do wonder how we are going to cope with them now.

We have to get in amongst them and play with an intensity that we know we can and have shown at times. We can't continue to start so slowly and give teams the lead.

Every game from here on in is going to be massive and we have to start getting points on the board.

I am convinced the current crop of players are good enough and we have to start getting the best out of them.

The View From Neil McDonald

"We were disappointed because our performance was higher than it has been away from home"

"I thought we played some excellent stuff and mixed the play up really well, playing through the midfield and dominating the second half.

"I thought we created chance on chance so to come away with nothing is hugely disappointing considering how we played.

"We feel as if their first one is offside and we could have maybe had a couple of penalties ourselves so that makes it even worse. We're all disappointed but we'll be in on Thursday licking our wounds and ready for the game on Saturday against Swansea, when we need to get some points on the board."

"At the training ground we work on it so that when we do score, we don't concede as quickly as what we did. It's not just one person, but the whole team who have to try to win the ball back and try to force Fulham back so they can't create a chance.

"We haven't stopped the cross, which is disappointing, and we certainly haven't dealt with the ball inside the box, so we've been clinically put to the sword, I suppose.

"We certainly shouldn't have conceded a second goal like that and we haven't conceded a goal like that during the season. We've got to make sure we don't do it again, because when we scored the goal we were right on top and we had Fulham under pressure.

"We were hoping it was only a matter of time before our goal came, so it knocks the stuffing out of you to concede so soon afterwards when we were putting them under pressure."

"It is certainly a lot harder when you come away from home in the Premier League, but we are vastly more encouraged by our performance.

"At Arsenal, I think we had ten minutes when they were absolutely outstanding and everything they did dropped to them and they put the ball into the back of the net, they were clinical and killed us off. I don't think Fulham were like that.

"What encouraged us was how many chances we created and how much football we played in their half. We put them under pressure, we need to be more clinical ourselves."

We have lots of players back fit and that's probably the strongest bench we've had this season. Everyone is coming back to fitness now and there is going to be one hell of a competition for places and that's good."

"Our home form has been very good and we'll try to play on the front foot and create chances. We'll certainly be doing that against Swansea on Saturday.

"We have to try to take advantage of everything we possibly can and we need to win our home games if we want to go up the league and put ourselves in a better position than we are at the moment.

"All newly-promoted teams go through these little patches. We were encouraged by the performance even if we were hugely disappointed with the result, because we played on the front foot and created chances. If we can keep that going for the rest of the season, we'll be fine."

http://www.westhamonline.net/article.php?6634155%7C%7C5%7C%7C

WhiteJC

FFC U18s 5 Southampton U18s 1

Fulham's Under-18s thumped their Southampton counterparts 5-1 on Saturday morning at Motspur Park.

Patrick Roberts hit the post early on, but the same player was on hand to put the Whites in front, slotting home Muamer Tankovic's pull-back.

Tankovic made it 2-0, hammering a shot into the roof of the net from a tight angle after a swift Fulham counter-attack from a Southampton corner.

The visitors pulled one back just before the break after Max Oberschmidt had misjudged a cross, but the Fulham goalkeeper made amends with a fine save early in the second half to keep the Whites in front.

Fulham regained their two-goal advantage when Tankovic scored from the penalty spot after Moussa Dembele had been brought down in the box by the Southampton keeper as the striker latched onto a short backpass.

Dembele then made it 4-1 when he headed home, before Jordan Evans put the seal on the win with Fulham's fifth with a low shot from the edge of the box after a mazy run.

Academy Director Huw Jennings told fulhamfc.com: "The scoreline wasn't a fair reflection on the game. Southampton gave us a tough examination and three goals in the last 10 minutes flattered us a bit.

"But after a tough week which saw us go out of the FA Youth Cup, it shows our desire is right up there."

Fulham's Under-18s are next in action on Saturday (11am) when they head to Everton.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/02/ffc-u18s-5-southampton-u18s-1?

WhiteJC

Pescara on Kasami and Zeman

Pescara President Daniele Sebastiani confirms they are appealing to have Patjim Kasami's transfer from Fulham due to a technical glitch and will "always be friends" to Zdenek Zeman.

Transfer deadline day was very controversial for the Delfini, who had agreed a deal with Fulham for midfielder Kasami, but the move did not go through before the 19.00 local time deadline.

"It is only right that this transfer goes through," President Sebastiani told TMW.

"Fulham sent us all the documentation at 18.40, then there were some technical problems, as the elevator got stuck and the Internet connection went down. We didn't negotiate anything after the deadline and I don't see why Pescara should pay the price for these problems.

"I hope the Lega Serie A will accept our appeal, as there is everything needed for the lad to join us."

Pescara won promotion from Serie B last season under Zeman, who was fired by Roma today.

"I am very disappointed, as with Zeman you must marry his credo and give him carte blanche. Evidently this didn't happen at Roma. I know how much he wanted to do well with the Giallorossi.

"Could he return to Pescara? He knows that he will always have friends here, but at the moment our bench is held by Cristiano Bergodi."

http://www.football-italia.net/30274/pescara-kasami-and-zeman?

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough 2 U21s 2

Ryan Williams' late equaliser clinched a share of the spoils as Fulham Under-21s recovered to draw at Middlesbrough.

Cauley Woodrow had given the young Whites the perfect start when the striker pounced to convert Sean Kavanagh's cross in the opening minute, but Kit Symons' Team were soon pegged back.

Curtis Main struck to level the scores three minutes later with a composed finish and Luke Williams' smart effort put the home side into the ascendancy on the stroke of half-time.

The Whites moved up through the gears after the interval, with Woodrow denied a second goal by the offside flag before he saw an effort cannon off the crossbar.

As Symons' side piled forward, the pressure finally paid when Ryan Williams kept calm to stroke in the equaliser in the closing moments.

The Whites had goalkeeper Jesse Joronen to thank for some crucial saves which kept Middlesbrough at bay, but Symons believes a couple of concentration lapses cost them victory.

"We had the momentum and we were the better side in the second half so I was delighted when Ryan popped up to make it 2-2," Symons told fulhamfc.com.

"The tempo of our passing was much better, but Middlesborough had a couple of good chances too and we've got Jesse [Joronen] to thank for a great save late on to keep it level.

"The only disappointing thing was the nature of the goals we conceded. We lost concentration and they were very sloppy which is very annoying as otherwise it was a good performance.

"We started brilliantly, scoring the early goal, then conceded those two really sloppy goals which I'm not happy about, but we responded well and finished the game strongly."

Fulham: Joronen; Passley, Burgess, Grimmer, Kavanagh; Williams, Minkwitz, Smith, Altman; David, Woodrow. Subs: Grainger, Donegan, Christensen, Islamovic.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/02/middlesbrough-2-u21s-2?