News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

is this the most indifferent season we've had in the prem yet?

Started by fulhamfan, February 11, 2013, 11:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farfouille

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on February 11, 2013, 01:54:39 PM
A good analysis in a recent post showed that we had had to play about nine different central midfield pairings, often with two `defensive' players, and that is bound to hamper finding the best combination and required  style.

I think that playing with 2 defensive midfielders is Jol's long-term strategy - now that he's brought in midfield Frimpong (a YOUNG defensive midfielder), Enoh (another defensive midfielder) and only one creative midfielder, Emanuelson, whose heart is in Milaaano anyway. Karagounis is getting more ancient, so he's a temporary solution too. Someone on the forum had mentioned that Jol is trying to build a team for 4-4-1-1 with 2 defensive midfielders and 1 creative playmaker behind the striker and that now he has the players to do it. That's something I can see in Jol's decisions as well.
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

cottage cheese

it also dsnt help that we have fielded the oldest squad I think 20 times this season every matchday week. We lack pace and this is a huuuuge problem when we have no midfield to win the battle

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: farfouille on February 11, 2013, 02:06:39 PM
A good analysis in a recent post showed that we had had to play about nine different central midfield pairings, often with two `defensive' players, and that is bound to hamper finding the best combination and required  style.

I think that playing with 2 defensive midfielders is Jol's long-term strategy - now that he's brought in midfield Frimpong (a YOUNG defensive midfielder), Enoh (another defensive midfielder) and only one creative midfielder, Emanuelson, whose heart is in Milaaano anyway. Karagounis is getting more ancient, so he's a temporary solution too. Someone on the forum had mentioned that Jol is trying to build a team for 4-4-1-1 with 2 defensive midfielders and 1 creative playmaker behind the striker and that now he has the players to do it. That's something I can see in Jol's decisions as well.

I really meant my comment to mean that having to make all the changes was the main problem but that having two defensive players with our current players and formation was not really going to help our main issues which are creativity and goalscoring.

If we use two defensive central midfielders then we probably need two pacey wide players who can go passed defenders but those who have played there this season have struggled to provide that.

A Humble Man

Let us see how we are placed after the next 12 games I think people will feel differently then as we are going to win a lot more games than people think as Jol a has very large rocket to place up the posterior of a number of players who under performing.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

farfouille

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on February 11, 2013, 02:39:34 PM
If we use two defensive central midfielders then we probably need two pacey wide players who can go passed defenders but those who have played there this season have struggled to provide that.

True. I think those pacey wingers were supposed to be Richardson and Dejagah, but somehow we ended up with Duff and Ruiz...
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

mangoputney

If we had five more points and were lying in 9th position above West Brom. which we could easily have done, for example if Hangeland had not made that tackle, or had eight more points and were lying in 7th position above Swansea then the mood on here would be completely different. The margins are very tight.

Yes, we have a strong squad but losing Dembele as the rock at the heart of our midfield (and Murphy), losing Dempsey for last year's goals plus the injuries at crucial times plus more major mistakes, such as the handballs, than we have seen in recent seasons has knocked us back.

Yes, it is Jol's job to sort it out and get the best out of the squad, particularly Berbatov and Ruiz. That would be a lot easier if Jol could play a consistent team from week to week, particularly in central midfield, as Roy Hodgson was lucky enough to do for long periods. A good analysis in a recent post showed that we had had to play about nine different central midfield pairings, often with two `defensive' players, and that is bound to hamper finding the best combination and required  style.

top post

but I think FFC73 and Tony are echoing many peoples sentiments

I personally thought that after nearly 13 seasons & last year under Jol we would have accrued enough nous to be comfortably clear of the bottom 5

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Logicalman

Quote from: west kowloon white on February 11, 2013, 01:53:09 PM
Oh happy days-suppose I am just happy to stay up(whilst arrogant enough to think I  understand what the Board are trying to achieve on and off the field

I'm with you on this one wkw. For me, another mediocre season with the only bright spot looking forward to another Prem season, and the hope that ambition will spring up from somewhere, bite the players and inspire them to play for the club, rather than their pay.

grandad

With only 10 points between 7th & 16th a lot of teams must be feeling the same as us. Few of these 10 teams have been consistent. Three wins & you are right up there & 3 defeats & you look over your shoulder.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Terry Angus

i also think/hope this is a 'season of transition' although of course, one can't argue the transition is taking place right now, during the season. perhaps it would be better described as a 'season of dull poo leading to transition in the summer window'. i just keep telling myself we'll do the right thing and give jol the spending money tigana, hodgson and sanchez were all given and next season we'll start with a line-up like this:

---------------stekenlenburg

riether---hangeland---douglas---emanuelson

----------------gago---diarra

-----chadli---------ruiz---------kacaniklic

------------------berbatov

subs: stockdale, okore, senderos, malanda, dejagah, frei, rodallega

fulhamfan

that looks a good team but emanuelson will be back at milan and i think hangeland might be off