watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FFC's survival blueprint by Phil Mison

Started by Ged, February 13, 2013, 08:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

I want to do a female Fulham fan blog, wouldn't tell anybody on here though, they definitely wouldn't be interested in my Fulham angst from a female perspective.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alfie

Quote from: Berserker on February 13, 2013, 04:39:59 PM
I want to do a female Fulham fan blog, wouldn't tell anybody on here though, they definitely wouldn't be interested in my Fulham angst from a female perspective.

All angst's are welcome
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

DJinNJ

The headline is indeed poor, as it doesn't seem to be a blueprint for survival, but for relegation. It explains how we might not get the requisite points... and if we don't then this will probably be about right: Villa snatch an ugly home win like they did against West Ham (or like we did against them), QPR finally play to their potential, and then we revert to the form we showed in December which turns the home fixtures against the big clubs that went well last year into lost causes. Add in the expected results against the top half clubs away, poor performances after long journeys to the north east, and some bad luck against Stoke and Reading, and getting to 40 (though the actual requirement will likely be lower) isn't such a sure thing. But that's a lot to go wrong, and even when we were supposedly playing "last days of Sanchez" football we were still getting almost a point a game. The way the league has gone this year, no matter how poor a run you are on you will eventually play someone worse. Even playing poorly we should find two wins and a few draws, and then (assuming none of the teams just below us do even worse) two of the bottom four would have to make a big improvement to catch us and put us in the bottom three... in QPR's case they'd need more points from the last 12 than they got from the first 26, so probably two of three realistically. Not saying this is what we're aiming for at this point, call me an optimist but I'm looking up the table, just noting that even the pessimists should recognize the bar for survival is still low at this point.

So it's not impossible, but it's a bit of a stretch to say we have a horrible run or that it's hard to see where the points will come from. Stoke is hardly a must win game, though I do hope we win (beyond just wanting Fulham to win as usual) since I'm sure there will be plenty of posts about how the relegation fight (as opposed to just "the spectre of a battle to avoid relegation") is back on if we don't. But if we do lose we'll still be out of the relegation zone by at least three points, probably more assuming Villa don't win at the Emirates, with plenty of winnable (and drawable) games to go.

sunburywhite

Quote from: Berserker on February 13, 2013, 04:39:59 PM

As a man I would be wrong anyway
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

mangoputney

I'm a fan of Phils blogs / links on twitter & Lorcans input on Cottage Talk / Twitter / Hammyend

Parts of Phils blog rings true with me in regards to the massive gaps left, fact that if we stumble at home and get dragged into the battle we have unfavourable away fixtures etc

found this blog also

Relegation Watch... its a good read with some decent stats & figures

Despite my disappointments with whats happening on the pitch this season, really does indicate that 8th on a great year & 10th on a good year are realistic yet tenable glass ceilings

http://www.cominghomenewcastle.com/2013/2/13/3980376/newcastle-united-nufc-premier-league-relegation-battle-southampton-aston-villa-reading-wigan-qpr
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

filham

I have been conscious for a while that we are facing a difficult end of season home programme, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are really attractive fixtures but unlikely to yield points for us. Stoke, Reading and QPR therefore become critical "must win games ".

The worry is in some recent games we seem to have played the majority of the match in our own half with hardly a shot on goal.We cannot afford many more performances like those.

My hope is that this two week break from matches will be well used to blend a couple of our new signings into the team and that Jol will come up with a solution to the Berbatov/Ruiz conundrum to enable us to field a settled side that will fully contest each of our remaining fixtures. We need 10 or 11 points , we should manage that.

Arthur

I think it's an exaggeration to say that 'everyone seems to think this (Stoke) is three points in the bag'. Arguably, even less accurate is the assertion that those here are 'conveniently overlooking' our failure to win at the Madejski Stadium and Loftus Road. (Anyone who witnessed the latter is unlikely to forget the inept performance in a hurry, that's for sure.)

Moreover, while we cannot afford to be complacent, the league table does suggest that fewer than 40 points will be enough to survive. Though we won't pick up every point for which we hope, we won't necessarily have to.

What strikes me most, however, is that the author, having outlined the remainder of our season in a manner that anyone would be hard-pushed to make seem more daunting or worrying, lacks the courage to back his words and draw the only logical conclusion: relegation. In my eyes, that he failed to do so instantly redefined what had gone before as nothing more than scaremongering.

horse1031

Quote from: fulhamphil on February 13, 2013, 04:29:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Phil!!!

Thanks horse. Will try to find time from my other two FFC blog platforms to post when I can. I am humbled to read moderator Lork will not censor my views.
Memo to self: After 25 years at this game if only I could learn to make my copy less 'flawed and uninspiring.'

Haynes The Maestro:

I was wondering when you were going to join the messageboard.  I thought you were already a member with a different name.  Hope to see you on here and posting some more.

fulhamphil

:008: I was on the forum regularly in the past two seasons by proxy because White Noise cut and pasted my old espn.soccernet blogs into his regular daily press cuttings round up. A number of fans started following me from that. Not sure if ESPN have put a block on this. I had registered but rarely felt the need to add anything else to the Fof forum, it was all in my blogs.

The system at ESPN changed over the summer - for the worst. I can no longer go straight to publish, being subject to sub-editor approval in the U.S. I am unable to select my own images. Blogs can sit in the system quite some time before going up. Interference with copy, as with the corrupted headline to the current piece, written as "Where FFC have gone backwards," is a major irritant, and out of my hands. Please read the piece as a comparative of where the club finished in May 2011 (qualifying for the Europa League) and then argue we have made progress under Martin, if you can.

There's a marked contrast in the way Yank followers see our predicament to those of us closer to the drama here. Maybe it's a more detached viewpoint brought about by distance. Posts tend to be more objective, well reasoned, and fans over there know their stuff, and believe me, they see this side for what it is. I am not scaremongering when I write this team of Jol's is in very poor shape. As for the 'R' word, the last line of current blog says it all...Ask me after Stoke.

horse1031

Quote from: fulhamphil on February 13, 2013, 07:15:07 PM
:008: I was on the forum regularly in the past two seasons by proxy because White Noise cut and pasted my old espn.soccernet blogs into his regular daily press cuttings round up. A number of fans started following me from that. Not sure if ESPN have put a block on this. I had registered but rarely felt the need to add anything else to the Fof forum, it was all in my blogs.

The system at ESPN changed over the summer - for the worst. I can no longer go straight to publish, being subject to sub-editor approval in the U.S. I am unable to select my own images. Blogs can sit in the system quite some time before going up. Interference with copy, as with the corrupted headline to the current piece, written as "Where FFC have gone backwards," is a major irritant, and out of my hands. Please read the piece as a comparative of where the club finished in May 2011 (qualifying for the Europa League) and then argue we have made progress under Martin, if you can.

There's a marked contrast in the way Yank followers see our predicament to those of us closer to the drama here. Maybe it's a more detached viewpoint brought about by distance. Posts tend to be more objective, well reasoned, and fans over there know their stuff, and believe me, they see this side for what it is. I am not scaremongering when I write this team of Jol's is in very poor shape. As for the 'R' word, the last line of current blog says it all...Ask me after Stoke.

so, do you want a new manager?  what is the solution?

i do know that our academy is better than it was then.  first team, not so much.  One thing Jol does do well is that he is able to bring in some quality players.  ie...  reither, berbatov, ruiz, urby, dejegah, rodallega.

If we battle Stoke like we battled West Ham then I think we will be ok.  Stoke is bullish and the game could go any sort of different ways.  We need some leadership and some toughness.  I know just the player... Karagounis.

p.s. - i am a yank, and yes we are very objective, well reasoned fans!!  HAHA   :scarf:

Banstead White

Well I always remember those vidoes,.......and we are lot better off today!

Like then everyone is entitled to an opinion......
Roysie

fulhamphil

Horse, you are trying to drag me into contentious territory. Change the manager now? We discussed this at length on t'other forum last month. No obvious candidates, too disruptive for the board, we were still in the Cup (just!) and had two games with United coming up. IF the side were to take a couple of hidings Wolves style, say an 0-4 at home then a 5-0 away, and it was clear Jol had lost the dressing-room, the board may have to act. In 2003 Tigana went in April. It's an awful scenario to contemplate, I guess you could only ask McKinlay and Kit to try and get a fractured side over the line by appealing to their pride. In my fantasy world I see MaF asking the FA to release Woy and Lew to double up on duties for a few weeks. How the rest of the league would NOT like that! Aint gonna happen.

YankeeJim

p.s. - i am a yank, and yes we are very objective, well reasoned fans!!  HAHA   :scarf:
[/quote]

Handsome too!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Berserker

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 13, 2013, 10:38:22 PMp.s. - i am a yank, and yes we are very objective, well reasoned fans!!  HAHA   :scarf:

I'm a women and the same applies ;-)
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

Welcome to the board Phil.

I think your post is a reasoned assessment of the current state of play, and most of it resonates.

The key though is what your expectations are. From my perspective, every season is one where we will lose some of our best players but still muddle through, and we will be lower to mid table more often than we are mid to upper table.

Every year we remain in the premiership is a good achievement.

Sounds gloomy, but in my time watching our fine club through thick and thin you can perhaps appreciate that. Or not, it's just my opinion, after all. And I am easily pleased!

And it doesn't detract from the fact that these are our golden years. We have had top half finishes, not to mention a fab journey to Hamburg.

RidgeRider

Quote from: fulhamphil on February 13, 2013, 04:29:30 PM
Quote from: horse1031 on February 13, 2013, 02:18:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Phil!!!

Thanks horse. Will try to find time from my other two FFC blog platforms to post when I can. I am humbled to read moderator Lork will not censor my views.
Memo to self: After 25 years at this game if only I could learn to make my copy less 'flawed and uninspiring.'

Haynes The Maestro:

Phil, looks like you "struck" a chord with optimists ;) . I am as pessimistic as you are and find too many of my fellow supporters think we are suddenly going to 'snap out of it' and start playing inspired football. I don't believe we will. We may not play as poorly as we did for that miserable 4 month run of the most uninspired football I've seen us play. We will struggle for sure.

I also hope I am dead wrong!

I agree we need an overhaul, top to bottom.

Welcome to the board!

Andy S

I suggest you go on th bbc footballl predictor and fill in all the results to see who is most likely to do the drop

Lighthouse

Please explain why the so called pessimists are the ones who want Fulham to do as well as a club with thirteen years established in the Prem and have at best wasted this season. Yet the so called optimists have no trouble watching a club struggle and not shoot and have talented players poorly used. It all sounds very Fulhamish.

Also beware when the optimists criticise thread titles. The last argument of a defeated poster.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 13, 2013, 11:44:53 PM
Please explain why the so called pessimists are the ones who want Fulham to do as well as a club with thirteen years established in the Prem and have at best wasted this season. Yet the so called optimists have no trouble watching a club struggle and not shoot and have talented players poorly used. It all sounds very Fulhamish.

Also beware when the optimists criticise thread titles. The last argument of a defeated poster.

My dear tall beam of light, you are not a glass half full type as much as a glass empty fellow. BUT, it certainly is Fulhamish. LOL
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

BishopsParkFantastic

I think this is an interesting thread and an insightful piece from Phil Mison, although not addressing the topic title! The Oxford dictionary defines blueprint as: "something which acts as a plan, model, or template for others..."

The 'Jol blueprint' appears to be based on survival planning and short term objectives - plugging gaps and building an ageing squad built around one and two year player contracts, loan signings of out of contract / injury prone / out of favour players linked to Jol's past and the Eredivisie. In my view, this situation has blocked the progress of our young players, and contributed to the lack of 1st team consistency in performances, team structure, and cohesion.

My 'blueprint for success and future development' would be based on:
•   Nurturing youth talent through and into the 1st team squad – not looking for every opportunity to loan out (like Frei, to sit on the bench at Cardiff!) or "blocking progress"  of our young players
•   Building a sound, secure 'spine' to the team -  with reliable goalkeeper, strong centre back, leadership in central midfield, 'regular' goal scorer (McBride, as an example); all on secure contracts
•   Achieving balance of youth and experience throughout the team – to provide pace, enthusiasm and invention
•   Using loans more strategically for specific positions - which have cover provided by young players who are  being developed in a process of succession
•   Providing longer term (at least 3 year) contracts to key players - the 'spine', most talented and youth elements of the team