UK: The Prisoner
US: Deadwood

Comedy:
UK: Father Ted
US: Cheers

Sci-Fi:
UK: Survivors (original version)
US: Fringe / Battlestar Galactica
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Rupert

US Drama- The Walking Dead, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly (anyone who thinks the first two are suitable for kids probably needs to be reported to the child protection agency, and the third is on the edge)
UK Drama- Torchwood, Doctor Who

US Comedy- MASH, Soap, Family Guy
UK Comedy- Getting On, Fawlty Towers, Reggie Perrin (original series), one of my class-mates was the lad who tried buying a square hoop and didn't warn any of us that he was going to be on the show.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

The Equalizer

I must be the only sci-fi lover in the world who cannot abide Doctor Who. Seriously, what is the appeal of that dull show?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

alfie

Quote from: Peabody on February 28, 2013, 07:54:57 PM
Drama UK. Spooks
Comedy. Only Fools and Horses

USA Drama. 24
Comedy. Everybody Loves Raymond (I know this will dismay some but me and the wife love it)

I'm with Mr P here except USA drama for me would be NCIS
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 01, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
I must be the only sci-fi lover in the world who cannot abide Doctor Who. Seriously, what is the appeal of that dull show?

No I am with you on this. Although I did like the series in the early years - pre Sylvester Mcoy and  the re imagined rubbish of young Docs snogging nubile assistants. Thought it was just an age thing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 01, 2013, 08:12:53 AM
Drama:

Comedy:

Sci-Fi:

Unsurprisingly, these are excellent choices. I never saw your UK Sci-Fi selection, but the others are top drawer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HatterDon

It appeals to the same audience as all US television, apparently.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rupert

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 01, 2013, 11:20:24 AM

No I am with you on this. Although I did like the series in the early years - pre Sylvester Mcoy and  the re imagined rubbish of young Docs snogging nubile assistants. Thought it was just an age thing.

No, you've got it all wrong, they aren't snogging, they are passing on DNA to fool the intergalactic police, or absorbing the time vortex to save Rose Tyler's life, or getting married to River Song to save the universe.
I freely admit that none of those lines have worked for me, yet, but I will not give up hope.

The thing is, the show is supposed to be for kids, so sometimes it will seem a bit silly or dull, but it does come up with some decent stuff which (hopefully) goes over the kiddies' heads, though you never know with kiddies nowadays.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Ordar

The only shows I watch on any sort of regular basis are Dexter and Walking Dead. Both of which are fantastic,

Used to watch alot of NCIS, which is probably the best cast show ever made, but I lost track around season 8 and never bothered to catch up.

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on March 01, 2013, 11:42:29 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on March 01, 2013, 08:12:53 AM
Drama:

Comedy:

Sci-Fi:

Unsurprisingly, these are excellent choices. I never saw your UK Sci-Fi selection, but the others are top drawer.

Survivors is one of the original apocalypse dramas from the mid-70s. World wiped out by some lab-created superbug, the few survivors trying to build a future for themselves. It's one of the first times that the real issues that people would face were addressed: having to re-learn how to mine and smelt metals, how to tan leather, grow food or even just hunt. All the while, there are groups of dominant individuals using this apocalypse as an opportunity to create their own Kingdoms. Harrowing, brutal, and Peter Bowles dies in the first episode. A winning show which inspired so many others.

Holders

Have you read Keith Roberts' "The Furies"? Also, do you recall "Level 7" from the TV? Both dealt with the issues of survival of some kind of catastrophe very well, in my view.

I don't recall "Survivors" from the 70s but the recent offering of similar title was very superficial and lightweight.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Berserker

Quote from: Rupert on March 01, 2013, 11:48:31 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on March 01, 2013, 11:20:24 AM

No I am with you on this. Although I did like the series in the early years - pre Sylvester Mcoy and  the re imagined rubbish of young Docs snogging nubile assistants. Thought it was just an age thing.

No, you've got it all wrong, they aren't snogging, they are passing on DNA to fool the intergalactic police, or absorbing the time vortex to save Rose Tyler's life, or getting married to River Song to save the universe.
I freely admit that none of those lines have worked for me, yet, but I will not give up hope.

The thing is, the show is supposed to be for kids, so sometimes it will seem a bit silly or dull, but it does come up with some decent stuff which (hopefully) goes over the kiddies' heads, though you never know with kiddies nowadays.

I can relate to River Song, must be the hair
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MJG

Sc-Fi:
UK: SPACE 1999 I caught an episode on TV last year and it was pretty poor but as a kid loved it. I surpose Thunderbirds is up there as well.

USA: Battlestar Galactica 2000's version and also have soft spot for Babylon 5, which was one of the first major TV series to have a continuing story arc instead of individual episodic story's.

keith

UK Drama;  Life on Mars and that 70`s/80`s series Fox, starring Peter Vaughan, Ray Winston and Larry Lamb.
US Drama; X Files

UK Comedy; Only Fools, The Office, Men Behaving Badly and, The Inbetweeners.
US Comedy; Third Rock from the Sun and Happy Days.

As for Doctor Who, no, i`ve never been impressed with the TV series, but the Two films were good.

WhiteJC

current TV

comedy US: big bang theory
comedy UK: Mrs Browns boys

drama US: person of interest
drama UK: silent witness

sci fi US: stargate millennium
sci fi UK: I like the new Dr Who

I need to think about older stuff, it changes as soon as I think of a show!

Logicalman

The Daleks!!

Me-ate-Live, innit??

The olds:  
UK Drama : Alan Bleasdale's The Boys From The Black Stuff
US Drama : Mission: Impossible

UK Comedy:  Monty Python
US Comedy : Happy Days

Current :
US Drama :  Game of Thrones
UK Drama :  World Without End

US Comedy: The Big Bang Theory
UK Comedy:  Graham Norton